Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options
  • 15-01-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭

Oh dear, it would appear that I have entered an Ironman Triathlon - Iron Man UK to be exact. Not the most glamorous of the IM races but it suited me. Might as well keep a training log so that the more experienced ironmen (and women) on this site can tell me that I'm not doing enough training. I never realised how daunting keeping a log was, especially when you look at some of the other logs currently being kept (anyone looked at interested's swim log:eek:)

Some history......
    May 2008; fat, unhealthy and heading towards a heart attack. Decided to get fit and for some ungodly reason I choose triathlons. Nearly two years later I've done quite a few sprints, a few olympics and one swimless 'half ironman.' Have also ran a few road races up to half marathon. My times are not spectacular but I'm a solid middle of the pack finisher.

I'm working off Don Finks 30 week competitive plan with a few tweaks here and there as necessary to fit in with time constraints and I'm also trying to get some extra swims in durin the base phase of the training.

Lets review the current situation:

Swim
    My swimming verges on the mediorce. I can swim longish distances without much difficulty and have no fear of the IM swim distance. However I'm painfully slow. My fastest OD swim in a currentless OW is 36 mins; for SD its 18 minutes. That's absolute pants. I need to put some serious work in trying to get my speed up. I would be happy with anything under 1.30hrs in the IM race. I've started to put in some more time in the pool and now that my fins have arrived at last from Wiggle I will start drilling - all my attempted drills thus far have resulted in near drownings so the fins are a must. I'm also trying to locate a coach for a few 1-1 sessions (I can't commit to classes due to work) and am considering a 'tritoswim' weekend training course.

Bike
    Not too bad on the bike. Last summer was riding 120kms most Sundays so have some experience of longish rides. My best 40km in an OD is 70 minutes. New tri bike for this year so lets hope that also helps. If I hit a steady 30kph on the IM I'll be very happy.

Run
    Again not too bad on the run. 10km PB 45.45 / 5km 21.21 / Half Marathon 1.47.47 (although I reckon I'm quicker than that now, perhaps 1.40). Have never run a marathon.

So there you have it.....

Whats my say out loud target race time:
    1.30 swim / 15 mins T1 / 6.30 hrs bike / 15 mins T2 / 4.30hrs marathon = sub 13hrs (to be reviewed on an ongoing basis)

Here goes..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good to have another Ironman log on, after losing Carbs we now have Interested and yourselves coming on stream. Best of luck with it, when is it on??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

griffin100 wrote: »
    Oh dear, it would appear that I have entered an Ironman Triathlon - Iron Man UK to be exact. Not the most glamorous of the IM races but it suited me. Might as well keep a training log so that the more experienced ironmen (and women) on this site can tell me that I'm not doing enough training. I never realised how daunting keeping a log was, especially when you look at some of the other logs currently being kept (anyone looked at interested's swim log:eek:)

Some history......
    May 2008; fat, unhealthy and heading towards a heart attack. Decided to get fit and for some ungodly reason I choose triathlons. Nearly two years later I've done quite a few sprints, a few olympics and one swimless 'half ironman.' Have also ran a few road races up to half marathon. My times are not spectacular but I'm a solid middle of the pack finisher.

I'm working off Don Finks 30 week competitive plan with a few tweaks here and there as necessary to fit in with time constraints and I'm also trying to get some extra swims in durin the base phase of the training.

Lets review the current situation:

Swim
    My swimming verges on the mediorce. I can swim longish distances without much difficulty and have no fear of the IM swim distance. However I'm painfully slow. My fastest OD swim in a currentless OW is 36 mins; for SD its 18 minutes. That's absolute pants. I need to put some serious work in trying to get my speed up. I would be happy with anything under 1.30hrs in the IM race. I've started to put in some more time in the pool and now that my fins have arrived at last from Wiggle I will start drilling - all my attempted drills thus far have resulted in near drownings so the fins are a must. I'm also trying to locate a coach for a few 1-1 sessions (I can't commit to classes due to work) and am considering a 'tritoswim' weekend training course.

Bike
    Not too bad on the bike. Last summer was riding 120kms most Sundays so have some experience of longish rides. My best 40km in an OD is 70 minutes. New tri bike for this year so lets hope that also helps. If I hit a steady 30kph on the IM I'll be very happy.

Run
    Again not too bad on the run. 10km PB 45.45 / 5km 21.21 / Half Marathon 1.47.47 (although I reckon I'm quicker than that now, perhaps 1.40). Have never run a marathon.

So there you have it.....

Whats my say out loud target race time:
    1.30 swim / 15 mins T1 / 6.30 hrs bike / 15 mins T2 / 4.30hrs marathon = sub 13hrs (to be reviewed on an ongoing basis)

Here goes..............

Good luck chief - enjoy
    The only marathons Ive run are during IM so unless you really have the time to do an early season marathon and the time to recover Id worry about that after the long swim and bike on the day itself.

you're probably already well on your way training to a plan but if I could offer the advice that if you're body is feeling very tired or real life is getting in the way - sometimes it can be more productive to deviate slightly from the plan to ensure you're getting enough rest. The plans are generic and give you good advice but listen to the signs of how you're coping with the increased loads in training

Fair play to you posting ideal times - the 30 minutes in transition should give you time to have a bit of a lie down and a hot meal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Week 1 (Base Phase)

Week 1 started on January 4th, exactly 30 weeks out from IMUK so fits into Mr. Finks plan nicely. All training in first ten weeks to be aerobic.

Monday
    Swim 1,700m (300wu / 12 x 100m (30 secs) / 200 cd)
    Tuesday
    Bike 90 minutes turbo
    Wednesday
    Swim 1,580m (300 wu / 3 x 120m (30 secs) / 2 x 180m (30 secs) / 3 x 120m / 200 cd)
    Thursday
    Bike 60 mins turbo.
    Friday
    Swim 1,700m (300 wu / 20 x 20m (10 secs) / 400m (60 secs) / 20 x 20 m (10 secs) / 200 cd
    Bike 30 minutes turbo
    Saturday
    Bike 90 minutes turbo
    Sunday
    Off
    Week 1 Totals
    Swim 4,980m
    Bike 4.45hrs (all turbo)
    Run 0 - No running due to snow and ice and queue of new members in gym waiting for treadmill (it is January after all:P)

Week 2
    Monday
    Swim 1,700m (300 wu / 300m (40 secs) / 3 x 200m (30 secs) / 300m / 200 cd
    Bike 90 mins turbo
    Tuesday
    Bike 30 mins turbo - 100+rpm
    Wednesday
    Swim 2,000m straight swim - 56.22 :( - good news is thats 5 minutes faster than my previous best 2,000m swim and I was taking it really easy. I was feeling relatively happy until two teenage girls got in beside me and proceeded to trash me. I've never felt slow slow or old!
    Thursday
    Run - slow 5.5kms / 30 minutes (Fink gives his run and bike sessions in time not distance so I'll try and give both)

Good to have another Ironman log on, after losing Carbs we now have Interested and yourselves coming on stream. Best of luck with it, when is it on??

Sorry, should have said:rolleyes: August 1st.
    you're probably already well on your way training to a plan but if I could offer the advice that if you're body is feeling very tired or real life is getting in the way - sometimes it can be more productive to deviate slightly from the plan to ensure you're getting enough rest. The plans are generic and give you good advice but listen to the signs of how you're coping with the increased loads in training
    tbh the training plan is going to me more of a guide to what I should be doing. Already I can see the shortcomings of generic plans such as this as if I followed it exactly in the first few weeks I'd be training less than I was during December. Family and rest time will take precedence over training. I ended up only doing 30 mins on the turbo on Tueday because my 4yo son wanted to make paper airplanes but I had planned a 90 session..no contest really...
    Fair play to you posting ideal times - the 30 minutes in transition should give you time to have a bit of a lie down and a hot meal wink.gif
    That's the plan, a few hang sangers in T1 before the bike is a must:D

Friday
    Was planing to do a pool session but felt crap when I got home after work so binned it. Felt guilty so got out the trusty turbo and did 30 mins before I gave up. I was feeling really tired and when I got a puncture :p I stopped.

Saturday
    Good nights sleep and felt much better so up nice and early for a swim before the pool was invaded by kids. Nice 2,500m session. Had my new fins with me so for the first time ever I did drills as part of a swim session.
    Swim 2,500m (300wu / 40m x 10 drill / 12 x 100m (30 secs) / 40m x 10 drill / 200 cd). My 400m drill set was 10 x 40m of front kick / one arm / catch up / fists - done twice. All except fists done wearing fins.
    During my main set I was 15secs per 100m faster than the last time I did the same session last week. I spent a good half hour on Friday watching the tritoswim dvd that came with 220 magazine last month and it really helped. As far as I can see my big faults lie with head position, overreaching on the recovery phase and lifting my head to breath when I get tired. Concentrated on all of these during the swim and it obviosuly helped. Doing the drills also seemed to help, especially with my kicking. I would be delighted to get my 100m times down to a consistent 2.15 in the pool (they were 2.30 today).

Afternoon I ran just over 5 miles (45mins) whilst trying to keep my heart rate aerobic - not easy when you consider that there are one or two serious hills on my run route. I am pleased about the fact that when running aerobically on the flat or on slight inclines my pace is around 8.20-8.30 mile. 26 of those in IM and I'll be happy!!

Sunday
    Had this down as a rest day but ended up doing a 25km TT. Enjoyed it although the legs were tired. Nice to get my heart rate up into the high 80%'s on the bike.

Week 2 Totals
    Swim 6,200m
    Bike 3.20hrs (2.30 turbo / 50 mins bike)
    Run 1.15 :(

I'm doing more swimming that Fink requires at this stage (3 sessions per week as opposed to 2) but I need to given my weakness here. Bike wise I'm doing slightly more hours than the plan suggests but I'm down on my running so its evening out a bit. Now that the weather has gotten a bit better at least I can now run so plan on putting in the suggested 3 hours on the feet this week.

• Advertisement

Week 3
    Monday
    Off
    Tuesday
    Swim 1,400m (1,000m straight / 4 x 100m (30 secs))

Took yesterday as a rest day and feel the better for it. I'm on jury service today :rolleyes: but got a swim in this morning beforehand. I was pushed for time so decided to just do a straight 1,500m swim instead of a structured session. After 1,000m my watch showed 31 minutes :eek: crap crap crap. Got a pit depressed and was going to get out of the pool but instead decided to stop and concentrate on doing a few 100m's. Ended up doing 4 x 100m's with 30 secs between each at 2.15 pace. I've never swam anything like 2.15 in the pool before, thats usually around my race pace in open water in a wetsuit. How did I go from 3 minute 100m to 2.15 in the same session? I think its finally dawning on me that I'm swimming too slow. I'm so busy trying not to overdo it that my slow pace is affecting my form making me sink, giving a poor catch and pull and contributing to my general crapness. When I was doing the few 100m's this morning I wasn't sprinting but probably going at 75-80% perceived effort. The differece was amazing - good catch and pull, no sinking of legs, little head movement except for breathing. I had a bow wave in front of my head when rather than a choppy water. Thats 30 secs off my typical 100m's from week 1. I dont think I could do too many 'fast' 100m's, certainly not an IM distance but perhaps a SD. Gives me a target time for my pool swim at TriLaois in early April. Last year it took me 20 minutes to do this swim. Will be a good test of any improvement. Lest I forget what I was doing this morning I plan on getting back in the pool tomorrow morning as I'm off work again due to a second day of jury service:).

Sitting at home now looking out at a bleak, cold and miserable day. I'd love a bike ride but the weather coupled with the state of the roads around my house (whats left of them) is putting me off. Think I'll stick Lord Of The Rings on DVD and do a turbo:run brick session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Think I'll stick Lord Of The Rings on DVD and do a turbo:run brick session.

You planning a long one then :eek:

Well done on not throwing in the towel on that session and getting something out of it to make you feel good about it. Have a think about the main thing that brought the 2:15 pace on and apply it to the main sets(1 thing at a time of course).

no sinking of legs

better body position since you needed to utilise your legs to do the 100's
    Thats 30 secs off my typical 100m's from week 1. I dont think I could do too many 'fast' 100m's, certainly not an IM distance

Congrats but you didnt think you could do those 100's during your 1000 straight swim either ? Theres alot of swimming between now and your IM event no doubt.

There may or may not be other things going on with your stroke but getting your body position a little better demonstrates massive benefits ... imho

You planning a long one then eek.gif

Not quite the full film....I did 90 minutes. Any more than 60 mins on the turbo and the ipod doesn't cut it so I bring the turbo in from the garage and put it in front of the tv. Long term I think I'd rather cycle in a monsoon than spend more than 2hrs on the turbo.
    Congrats but you didnt think you could do those 100's during your 1000 straight swim either ? Theres alot of swimming between now and your IM event no doubt.
    Well done on not throwing in the towel on that session and getting something out of it to make you feel good about it. Have a think about the main thing that brought the 2:15 pace on and apply it to the main sets(1 thing at a time of course).

Thanks for the encouragment guys. Looking at your swim logs I feel like my pace is almost backward but I'm happy with the progress to date. I still have a lot more pre IM swimming to do - around 240km if I stick to my modified Fink plan, plenty of time to get better. Yesterdays swim session ended up being a good lesson in swim pace and how it affects body position and swim efficiency. Looking forward to my next session. I didn't get time to get a swim in today and may not until Friday.

Tuesday (Part 2)
    Cycle 90 minutes turbo
    Run 30 mins / 3.5 miles
    Did this as a brick session - I'd forgotten how much I like the feeling in my legs when I run off the bike. Nice steady 8.30 miles whilst staying aerobic.

Wednesday
    Cycle 60 mins / 30kms - I had a run schedueled today but the weather was good enough for a cycle so did that instead. I had to load the bike into the car and drive for 5kms to get past the potholes and collapsed roads on my normal route before I could start the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey griffin100, niceone on keeping a log on here.. definitely interested to keep an eye on what you're doing and what does/doesnt work in training for an IM. Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Planned a run for early this morning, alarm went off and I turned over and went back to sleep. I blame the sound of the rain bouncing off my window for my lapse. I need to HTFU......

Week 2
    Thursday
    Swim 1,000m (140m wu / 750m straight / 110m cd).
    Had a meeting to go to after work and only had 30 minutes to train so hit the pool. Did a short warm up and then bearing in mind interested's comment on doing 'fast' 100m's as part of longer swims I did a 750m at a harder pace than normal but without killing myself. Ended up doing a 19 minute dead 750m. Now that's not particularly fast for most people but it's about the best time for that distance I've ever done on the pool. Felt good at the end and was gutted I had to get out of the pool.

Friday
    Run 45 minutes / 5 miles. Nice slow pace.

Saturday
    Swim 1,700m (300m wu / 400m drills / 200m x 5)
    Again I was stuck for time (I had to take my kids to their swimming lessons:rolleyes:) so a short session. Well pleased though as my 200m repeats were 4.45mins. I'm getting better (although at some stage the improvement will cease, hopefully closer to 2 minute 100m pace:))

Run 65 mins / 7 miles. This was my longest run since before Christmas and I suffered on Sunday, despite my 9 minute mile pace.

Sunday
    Day off. Did nothing except eat today. Had planned a bike ride but it was too misty:p

Week 3 Totals
    Swim 4,100m
    Bike 2.5 hrs(90 mins turbo / 30km road)
    Run 2.20hrs / 24kms

I'm not happy with week 3 totals. Less swim and bike than week 2. This week was a good lesson in schedueling sessions properly. Two of my swim sessions this week ended up being cut short and I really should have done another bike and run session. Need to HTFU.

Week 3 is over, 10% of the way there!!!

Week 4
    Moday
    Run 30 mins / 5.5 kms. Up nice and early for a run. Pace was very slow for two reasons - 1. trying to stay aerobic; 2. it was so dark and misty I couldn't see more than a metre ahead and ran into the ditch a couple of times. I'm glad none of the neighbours were up and about at that time - they would have thought I was mad (my wife certainly did).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Tuesday (Part 2)
    Cycle 90 minutes turbo
    Run 30 mins / 3.5 miles
    Did this as a brick session - I'd forgotten how much I like the feeling in my legs when I run off the bike. Nice steady 8.30 miles whilst staying aerobic.

OK, now you've got me interested!:) Does this feeling you like come with practice or have you always been able to do it? My legs feel like jelly and then lead when I run off the bike.

Best of luck with the training and the log btw. You're really getting the swimming going well.

Week 2
    I did a 750m at a harder pace than normal but without killing myself. Ended up doing a 19 minute dead 750m. Now that's not particularly fast for most people but it's about the best time for that distance I've ever done on the pool. Felt good at the end and was gutted I had to get out of the pool.

congrats on the progression - two really good things to come out of that
    'without killing myself' and 'gutted I had to get out of the pool'
    You re going faster and enjoying it !! a result no matter who you are.

OK, now you've got me interested!smile.gif Does this feeling you like come with practice or have you always been able to do it? My legs feel like jelly and then lead when I run off the bike.

Best of luck with the training and the log btw. You're really getting the swimming going well.

Cheers RedB. I've always enjoyed the feeling in my legs when I get off the bike. It hurts but I like it. Perhaps I need to go harder on the bike!!!
    congrats on the progression - two really good things to come out of that
    'without killing myself' and 'gutted I had to get out of the pool'
    You re going faster and enjoying it !! a result no matter who you are.

Thanks Interested. I no longer dread the swim sessions the way I did this time last year. My big concern now is getting to the pool in the evening to claim a space (no lane ropes in my gym pool) before it gets packed with people who have no concept of swim pool ettiquite e.g. the GAA / Rugby / bodybuilding crowd from the gym who think that its great crack to show off to the ladies in the pool by racing me for a single length and then taking a 10 minute rest in the middle of my swim line and the aul ones who breaststroke 3-4 abreast whilst having a chat and taking up half the pool width.

Thanks Interested. I no longer dread the swim sessions the way I did this time last year. My big concern now is getting to the pool in the evening to claim a space (no lane ropes in my gym pool) before it gets packed with people who have no concept of swim pool ettiquite e.g. the GAA / Rugby / bodybuilding crowd from the gym who think that its great crack to show off to the ladies in the pool by racing me for a single length and then taking a 10 minute rest in the middle of my swim line and the aul ones who breaststroke 3-4 abreast whilst having a chat and taking up half the pool width.

That's a major problem for you to be honest. If the pool isnt laned then imho its almost dangerous to swim in. Mind you - if its really busy it might help you acclimatise to the contact you can experience in mass open water swim starts.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

No roped lanes ? Yikes ! Dangerous and very tedious. Paddles are probably out then :eek:.

Pretty short sighted of the gym if they want to be attracting clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My big concern now is getting to the pool in the evening to claim a space (no lane ropes in my gym pool) before it gets packed with people who have no concept of swim pool ettiquite e.g. the GAA / Rugby / bodybuilding crowd from the gym who think that its great crack to show off to the ladies in the pool by racing me for a single length and then taking a 10 minute rest in the middle of my swim line and the aul ones who breaststroke 3-4 abreast whilst having a chat and taking up half the pool width.

OMG, are we in the same gym :D I love the guys that race me for one 20m length when I'm 300m through a 400m set.

Monday - Part 2
    Swim 2,420m - 320wu / 400 drills / 3 x 120m (20 secs) / 2 x 200m (20 secs) / 3 x 120 (20 secs) / 400 drills / 200 cd

Nice session averaging 2.25-2.30 per 100m.
    No roped lanes ? Yikes ! Dangerous and very tedious. Paddles are probably out then eek.gif.

Pretty short sighted of the gym if they want to be attracting clients.

Yeah it can be a bit of a pain sometimes. In fairness it will ease off in a couple of weeks when the new January members give up. That said it was packed last night. Really p*sses me ff when a slow breastroker gets into the pool half way down the side and proceeds to swim in front of you:mad:.

• Advertisement

Really p*sses me ff when a slow breastroker gets into the pool half way down the side and proceeds to swim in front of you:mad:.

You'd be amazed how quickly you can get their attention by clipping someone unintentionally with a paddle ;) Im obviously joking ... Id never unintentionally do this.

If there are a number of people swimming in this pool regularly then approach the facility 'management' and ask them about roping off a lane and placing a 'lane swimming' sign above it. Check the centre's documentation - if they say the offer lane swimming then it might be worth asking them what hours the lane swimming is available at.

You'd be amazed how quickly you can get their attention by clipping someone unintentionally with a paddle wink.gif Im obviously joking ... Id never unintentionally do this.

If there are a number of people swimming in this pool regularly then approach the facility 'management' and ask them about roping off a lane and placing a 'lane swimming' sign above it. Check the centre's documentation - if they say the offer lane swimming then it might be worth asking them what hours the lane swimming is available at.

No mention of lane swimming anywhere. I've asked about lanes as they have a lane rope but got a blank response. I dont think there are enough 'serious' swimming members for them to care (they're very much geared towards keeping the GAA crowd happy, typical in a rural area)...although I have heard that the owner of the hotel in which the gym is based has just started tri.....must have a word with him as I sometimes see him on the roads when I'm out training.

Tuesday
    Did nothing......had planned to get up early and do a turbo session but turned over and went back asleep when the alarm went off. This is my big dilema - I love my bed. I've three kids of 5, 4 and 1.5 and rarely does a night pass when one doesn't wake up so I treasure my bed. This is a problem as I need to do some of my training early in the day before work if I want to realistic about doing myself any justice in the IM. (Tuesday evenings are a write off due to work committments.) There is more pressure on my available time now as the wife is planning to do a SD tri this year and has also started training so time is really at a premium at the minute. I'm gonna have to start doing some training during the day in work. I need to HTFU. and get out of the bed........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I know the feeling and training time/energy/motivation are tough to squeeze out of an already busy day. I've recently started fitting in some lunchtime sessions but that involves eating at my desk afterwards so additional prep is required re food. Going to bed earlier is another option but you do need an hour or two in the evening to tidy up and chat as well after the kids are asleep so its a squeeze at both ends. I find it tougher as well in the dark mornings / evenings so that'll get better in the next month or two. Hang in there, listen to your body and keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Griffin,

Great to see another IM log!

All the best for IM UK...I'm pretty much following your pattern with IM CH the week before.

Watching with interest:)

Hey Griffin,

Great to see another IM log!

All the best for IM UK...I'm pretty much following your pattern with IM CH the week before.

Watching with interestsmile.gif

Good to see you back - I thought that your log had died. Thats 5 or so IM logs now I think?

Seems to be a few of us following Fink, hope he knows what he's talking about:D When I say I'm following Fink I'm not a slave to his programme. I am using his competive programme as a guide to what I should be doing re. number of sessions / duration / intensity of same during my 10 week base period. For example I'm currently getting 3 swims a week in as oppossed to his two as I need the practise but I am using his swim plans. During the base phase he has a weekly brick session with a 15 minute run built in - I'm not really sure how useful these are (I have only done one brick session in 4 weeks of 90 minute turbo - 30 minute run). Similarly he has a lot of 30 minute bike sessions, again these seem a bit short (but when I'm tired I'll still use them as an excuse to do a short turbo). When we get to the quality / speed work I'll stick much closer to his plans as they are quite specific on the higher heart rate work.

Speaking of heart rate I'm have been using the basic 220-age to give my maximum heart rate (all of the standard formulaes give me the same result +/- 1-2 heart beats). I'm hoping to get a more formal assessment done soon as I'm booked in to get a VO2 max assessment done. Thought it would be interesting to get a early stage training VO2 max and a pre race VO2 max done. Although if my pre race level is the same as my current one I'll panic. I dont feel like much of a triathlete when 10 minutes playing football with my son leaves me breathless and with a racing heart:pac:.

Wednesday
    Swim 2,520m (320 wu / 400m drills / 20 x 20m (5 secs) / 400m (60 secs) / 20 x 20 secs (5 secs) / 400m drills / 200m cd)
    Was averaging around 2.05-10 for 100m - getting closer to the magic (for me) 2.00 per 100m. I need to do some work on my body rotation. As I breath to one side all of the time my rotation to that side is good, but its very poor when I try and roll to the other side. Perhaps I need to work on my bilateral breathing a bit more (I have been doing this in my drills, especially my one arm ones).

Thursday
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins. I actually was out running at 6am this morning so thats an improvement. As I lay in bed listenting to the alarm going off I was trying to work out if I could compensate for missing another morning session this week by training extra hard over the weekend :rolleyes: when the wife kicked me out of the bed. Once I got out I really enjoyed it. Running that early in the day on traffic free country roads is a joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

I actually was out running at 6am this morning so thats an improvement. As I lay in bed listenting to the alarm going off I was trying to work out if I could compensate for missing another morning session this week by training extra hard over the weekend :rolleyes: when the wife kicked me out of the bed. Once I got out I really enjoyed it. Running that early in the day on traffic free country roads is a joy.

Well done - 6:35 am in my part of the world looked pretty grim but going to have to face up to it sooner or later. And the home support helps too! :)

Thursday - Part 2
    Bike 1hr turbo - watched the end of the Lord Of The Rings - I'm pretty sure now that Frodo and Sam are more than just 'friends' and that when the camera wasn't around.........

.....your mind certainly does start to wander when you're cycling on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thursday - Part 2
    Bike 1hr turbo - watched the end of the Lord Of The Rings - I'm pretty sure now that Frodo and Sam are more than just 'friends' and that when the camera wasn't around.........

.....your mind certainly does start to wander when you're cycling on the spot

LOL I plan to watch it on Sunday... but plonked on the Counch with munchies instead of pedalling :D

• Advertisement

Friday
    Swim 2,260m (120 wu / 2,000m / 140 cd)

I had a disaster of a swim session. I was tired going down to the pool and the legs felt a bit sore so decided to do a straight 2,000m swim instead of drills and a set session. Now on the wednesday evening I had been averaging 2.05-10 per 100m - I did the 400m in the middle of my main set in 8.42 - so I thought it would be reasonable to aim for a sub 25mins 1,000m, and hopefully a sub 50min 2,000m. I had a complete meltdown in the pool. It took me 26.40 to do the first 1,000m and 52mins dead to do the full 2,000. I ended up reverting back to all my old bad habits - too slow pacing, poor body position, too few kicks, poor head position, etc. I was tired and just couldn't get a good technique going. I reckon that as I've only just started changing my stroke that my muscle memory is not quite there yet and as I was tired I reverted back to bad habits. What I should have done after the first 1,000m was stop, have a rest and start a new session. What I did was plough on and by the end of the session I was totally depressed. Trying to look on the bright side it's still well over 4 minutes quicker than my 2,000m in week 2. During my kids swimming lessons on Saturday I was watching some of the older kids getting instruction from a coach who looked really good (I'm always in awe of the swimmers who seem to be flying down a pool whilst barely moving their arms) - and the kids he was teaching were flying up and down the pool. I got his number and he does 1-1 lessons so I'm gonna give him a go if he's available. I think at this stage I could benefit from some tailored instruction.

One question for the better swimmers here - head position? Where should I be holding my head. I used to tuck my chin into my chest but I recently started looking more forward, but this does place some strain on my neck. I have read that I should try and get my chin to point directly at the floor of the pool - is that correct?

Saturday
    Run 7 miles / 65 minutes

Sunday
    Bike 35 kms / 85mins.
    I dont think I have ever been so cold in my life - it was -2 according to my car when I got back in. Like an idiot I wore fingerless gloves and no shoe covers. I swear it got so cold my finger stuck to the brake level. At one stage it started to snow and some of the roads were badly iced. The turbo isn't all that bad I suppose.

Week 4 Totals
    Swim 7,200m
    Bike 2.25hrs (1hr turbo / 1.25 road ride (35kms))
    Run 2.20hrs / 15.5 miles

Advertisement