Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug smuggler Akmal Shaikh executed

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Well first of all I would like to appolagize if this is already a topic.What is your opinion of the guy who was executed in China yesterday?To be honest,I did feel very sorry for the guy at first but then I learned about his history,the guy has being breaking the law for years.Am I the only one who feels that this guy may have gotten what he deserved.Before anyone starts,I am very sympatethic to people with mental illnesses but that has to end at a certain level.

EDIT: here is a link btw:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akmal_Shaikh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

osama bin laden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

poisonated wrote: »
    Well first of all I would like to appolagize if this is already a topic.What is your opinion of the guy who was assasinated in China yesterday?To be honest,I did feel very sorry for the guy at first but then I learned about his history,the guy has being breaking the law for years.Am I the only one who feels that this guy may have gotten what he deserved.Before anyone starts,I am very sympatethic to people with mental illnesses but that has to end at a certain level.

Sounds like the Chinese could murder you for picking up the wrong suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Wikipedia wrote:
    The neutrality of this article is disputed

Maybe find a news article to link to rather than a site anyone can change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

oh rite...china is a communist country....

assasinated

He was executed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well first of all I would like to appolagize if this is already a topic.What is your opinion of the guy who was assasinated in China yesterday?To be honest,I did feel very sorry for the guy at first but then I learned about his history,the guy has being breaking the law for years.Am I the only one who feels that this guy may have gotten what he deserved.Before anyone starts,I am very sympatethic to people with mental illnesses but that has to end at a certain level.

Assasinated?

He was executed by lethal injection for dealing heroin in an area with a big heroin problem. It would have been better if he was deported to the UK to hold trial there though.
    You make it sound as if he's an innocent man the chinese government decided to kill for no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

haha should have expected this,it is after hours.OK he was executed.What is your opinion of this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tooler08

I think that if he was so badly mentaly ill he should have not been alowed to be on his own in China

Assasinated?

He was executed by lethal injection for dealing heroin in an area with a big heroin problem.

He was detained at entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I think its a scary world we live in... id say he was smuggling drugs all rite and new exactly what he was at.... but execution.... harsh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am I the only one who feels that this guy may have gotten what he deserved.

Probably.
    From what I could see of the court case there were loads of chinks in his defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't agree with the death penalty whatsoever.. but I do think they were right not to undermine their own laws just because of outside pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Sure them chinese are mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mikom wrote: »
    From what I could see of the court case there were loads of chinks in his defence.

Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well first of all I would like to appolagize if this is already a topic.What is your opinion of the guy who was executed in China yesterday?To be honest,I did feel very sorry for the guy at first but then I learned about his history,the guy has being breaking the law for years.Am I the only one who feels that this guy may have gotten what he deserved.Before anyone starts,I am very sympatethic to people with mental illnesses but that has to end at a certain level.

Meh..... could've been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

If the info in the background section is true then it sounds like someone with deeper issues. Guess we'll never know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

jd007 wrote: »
    Sure them chinese are mad!

The guy was caught with over 4kg of heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

He was executed by lethal injection for dealing heroin in an area with a big heroin problem.

Even more evidence that prohibition doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

TheZohan wrote: »
    The guy was caught with over 4kg of heroin.

So is death a suitable punishment for possession of heroin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I just feel that:
    1)it appears that he treated his children very badly
    2)he drank drove
    3)he abused everyone
    and then he smuggled heroin into somewhere where heroin is already a big problem.If you add up all of these factors,I think that he didn't seem to be a very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Ageispolis wrote: »

CHOOOON

Xmas No.1 2010 :D

but I do think they were right not to undermine their own laws just because of outside pressure

Have international human rights not improved for this very reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

YES. if yuou knew the history of china and the uk you wouldn't of asked that question...
    go google it.
    tough **** is what i say.,
    the uk and a jewish family flooded china with the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Heroin is a pretty destructive drug, I'd say its the most destructive even. The death penalty is far too harsh though, he should have either gotten a long prison sentence or he should have been deported to the UK for a trial there. In any case from what we know, he didn't have any interpreter at his trial or any type of idea about what was going on in his case. That alone is pretty unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One sign that the guy was "not all there": smuggling 4kg of pure Heroin in to a country that executes drug smugglers.

We can argue about what is "appropriate", but it's not as if China (Singapore, Thailand etc.) care. What is one apparent criminal's life to a country of over a billion? It's over, now: the firing squad has closed his file permanently.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Smuggle heroin into a country notorious for harsh dealings with such crimes. Get caught. Executed. Tough ****. No sympathy. Harsh but true. Maybe if our pansy assed judical system had a similar approach so many innocent people wouldn't get shafted everyday of the year. (By which i mean families of murder victims seeing the accused get a suspended sentence despite 50 previous convictions for example) **** him i say. Maybe he had mental problems, maybe he didn't. I don't care. i'm sick to **** of people getting lenient sentences because of bull**** mitigating circumstances. "oh I'm a reformed drug user from a broken home" **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Nobody should be killed with a death penalty. Shove him in a jail instead but don't kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Even more evidence that prohibition doesnt work.

yeah lets legalise heroin that will really improve matters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Heroin is a pretty destructive drug, I'd say its the most destructive even. The death penalty is far too harsh though, he should have either gotten a long prison sentence or he should have been deported to the UK for a trial there. In any case from what we know, he didn't have any interpreter at his trial or any type of idea about what was going on in his case. That alone is pretty unjust.

They also didn't tell him he was getting executed until moments before the execution.

Advertisement