Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HighLine wrote: »

He needs to cut back a bit with that stuff in order to really push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah, probably true but it's half the reason he has so much appeal to a lot of us.

Who knows what cutting back on that stuff would do, might'nt be good for him. Enjoy the good things in life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

When it’s to celebrate massively important victories like yesterday’s I say the more the merrier ;-)

Not sure what to expect from him in Dubai this week though. Bonus if he does well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah celebrating a massive win is really hurting his progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Felexicon wrote: »

Not just last night though, It's a regular enough thing. I'm a massive fan of his but if he wants to go to the next level he needs to cut back on the booze and get in shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Felexicon wrote: »

Not just last night though, It's a regular enough thing. I'm a massive fan of his but if he wants to go to the next level he needs to cut back on the booze and get in shape.

Here we go...........

That's a can of Fosters at the front - :eek:

DxV8r-cWkAM9ifL.jpg

DxTtsgfX4AY-5n3.jpg

That chart is crying out for a Stokes Gained Putting stat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

True, this win was all about his putting, it was red hot all week, the amount of 10/15ft+ putts he got was way out of normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

You could see what it meant to him afterwards and it's great to see him win a big one and get back into the top 50. A player of his ability needs to be playing the majors rather than watching on the TV. The way he won was also huge as he had to grind it out and dig very deep. He looked beaten at the turn but he hung in there and made some huge putts to keep in it.

As some have said already, his driving was very wayward for a lot of that round but when it mattered on 17 and 18 he hit perfect drives. That second shot at the last was brilliant albeit a bit less pressured after Sterne put himself in trouble. He'll be able to draw on this when he gets into contention again.

Now on to something that I didn't particularly like and I've been a supporter of Shane since he joined the tour. He can sometimes let his emotions get the better of his judgement. After he missed his birdie putt on 15, he walked straight on towards the 16th tee while Sterne was still over his putt for the birdie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Oh the begrudgery of it all,if he lost it would be about his lifestyle.he won and he shouldn't celebrate.come on the lad is Irish through & through unlike a certain little man up North, Well done Shane I say and can't wait to play and have a few pints in my annual Masters away weekend in Esker Hills watching him compete again at the top table of golf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Oh the begrudgery of it all,if he lost it would be about his lifestyle.he won and he shouldn't celebrate.come on the lad is Irish through & through unlike a certain little man up North, Well done Shane I say and can't wait to play and have a few pints in my annual Masters away weekend in Esker Hills watching him compete again at the top table of golf

Mod note - This thread has been fantastic and no need to have digs at anyone else - you’ve be warned before so move on and let’s celebrate the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Keano wrote: »
    Mod note - This thread has been fantastic and no need to have digs at anyone else - you’ve be warned before so move on and let’s celebrate the win.

Didn't name anyone, no problem,many golfers up North !!

41st is confirmed, now consolidate to make the Masters

It's a gas game his fairways hit stat is terrible. A good bit in that for us all, when as amateurs some tend to want to hit a big one in fairway.

More importantly was his piss up in Ireland or over there?

Disgraceful amount of drink left over, hardly an Irish party at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

It's a gas game his fairways hit stat is terrible. A good bit in that for us all, when as amateurs some tend to want to hit a big one in fairway.

Over there, he is in Dubai (sharing a house with Paul Dunne i believe) for the Dubai Desert Classic which starts on Thurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What I'd take from those figures is that it was a miracle win for Lowry and that there is no positive outlook in regards to consistency from it. (Although I'd love to be proven wrong by this time next year).

Delighted for him all-the-same. Seems to have slimmed down a bit in the last few months which I don't doubt has helped slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    What I'd take from those figures is that it was a miracle win for Lowry and that there is no positive outlook in regards to consistency from it. (Although I'd love to be proven wrong by this time next year).

Delighted for him all-the-same. Seems to have slimmed down a bit in the last few months which I don't doubt has helped slightly.

Ahhh, Irish begrudgery at it's best

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ahhh, Irish begrudgery at it's best

Unsurprising that you were the first to comment on my post.

Look - I’m looking at things long-term and being a realist. There needs to be consistency added to his game, and hopefully that can come.

Really want him to take the next step in his career but those numbers don’t lead to that.

Unsurprising that you were the first to comment on my post.

What's that supposed to mean?

Seve OB wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean?

In any of my posts on the golf forum in the past; anything against the grain you’ve (every time) criticised what I’ve said. This time you didn’t even have a counter-comment

In any of my posts on the golf forum in the past; anything against the grain you’ve (every time) criticised what I’ve said. This time you didn’t even have a counter-comment

TBH I don't even look at who posts.
    I was replying to the comment.

the rough in a pro tournament is a lot more manageable than your average run-of-the-mill golf course though where it goes from fairway to 6 inches of grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The comeback after where he was after the 11th hole would imply that it wasn't a miracle win.

There was clear substance to the win - that doesnt mean that he will perform that well again though.

What I found interesting is that he actually got the driving right at the high pressure 17th and 18th hole - yet he had struggled with that during the round.

That indicates potential for improvement as the last two holes are potential "it all falls apart moments"

Old diesel wrote: »
    The comeback after where he was after the 11th hole would imply that it wasn't a miracle win.

There was clear substance to the win - that doesnt mean that he will perform that well again though.

What I found interesting is that he actually got the driving right at the high pressure 17th and 18th hole - yet he had struggled with that during the round.

That indicates potential for improvement as the last two holes are potential "it all falls apart moments"

Cool - I get what you’re saying; and over a 4 day period he was a worthy winner. I just believe with the numbers he put up, it’s the way he hit a complete-and-utter hot streak with his putting that won him the comp. His putting has been bad for years now so I’ll wait-and-see in the long-term whether his putting has actually improved or if he just had a red-hot week of it.

We all have those rounds where we can’t seem to miss a putt, but with the other stats he had, his putting was the reason he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

I struggle to see how the term 'begrudgery' can be applied to anything said recently on this thread. Shane's supporters are delighted by his win -they want to see him advance to a level of consistency that might be a realistic expectation given his innate talent. It is a perfectly legitimate view to hold -that if he worked more on his fitness it might help him in his future career. Nor is it necessary ,as stated , in praising Shane , to snipe at. Rory

Good God are we back on his fitness/weight again, I thought we moved past that

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Good God are we back on his fitness/weight again, I thought we moved past that

But it’s a valid conversation to have.

He was in poor shape by all accounts over the past couple of years.

I think he has slimmed down slightly again recently. Could be a coincidence - I’d say it isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Leading a tournament from start to finish is not a miracle win! Plus the bottle he showed to hang in there and hit that shot into 18 showed incredible nerve!

People get to hung up on stats IMO and sky over analyze everything to death. There just short of having a stat of how many toilet breaks a Pro takes. .

I read somewhere a scratch golfer would be about a 6 or 7 handicapper on a tour set up courses maybe even more. It is not easy to win on tour..

Regards his fitness I dont really want to bite on this but I will.. How does anyone know what Shane does?? he even criticized someone questioning him on this on social media. Beef johnston is always posting videos of him working out on social media. Yet people comment on him being overweight and not fit etc.. :eek:

Pro's play 9 holes of a tournament on a Tues, pro am Weds then 18 holes tournament golf Thurs to Sun included in that is Travel, Range work & gym.

These people are fit trust me.

The bit I watched I felt the course was a joke. (Even if I hate the tour over there)

At the end of the day - he recovered well and putted like the Muhamad.

Driving like that would get him nowhere in most majors - no point in dennying that. But it is your score that counts - and you can do well in golf scoring well but not driving it great. Many course in US are bomb and putt.

But - from where his putting was to where it has got to - nobody should doubt what sort of hours he would have had to put into that.

He won the tournament due to his iron play and putting (10 2s) unreal stuff. And that has nothing to do with fitness.

But yes work to be done on driving.

benny79 wrote: »
    Leading a tournament from start to finish is not a miracle win! Plus the bottle he showed to hang in there and hit that shot into 18 showed incredible nerve!

People get to hung up on stats IMO and sky over analyze everything to death. There just short of having a stat of how many toilet breaks a Pro takes. .

I read somewhere a scratch golfer would be about a 6 or 7 handicapper on a tour set up courses maybe even more. It is not easy to win on tour..

Regards his fitness I dont really want to bite on this but I will.. How does anyone know what Shane does?? he even criticized someone questioning him on this on social media. Beef johnston is always posting videos of him working out on social media. Yet people comment on him being overweight and not fit etc.. :eek:

Pro's play 9 holes of a tournament on a Tues, pro am Weds then 18 holes tournament golf Thurs to Sun included in that is Travel, Range work & gym.

These people are fit trust me.

In regards to people getting hung up over stats; I work in sports analytics/data so it doesn’t help me.

I meant it was a miracle win as in-it was finally a week where his putting clicked. Other than that, his putting is generally awful. I just don’t see success consistency long-term in his game currently.

Would love to be proven wrong obv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

But whats consistency in golf?? Only say the top 10 win consistency or would have a great year but even for them its hard to keep it going look at Spieth now for example or DJ thats golf and the game we love. But I get what your saying.

I personally think he's had a great career so far and can only get better!

His driving was poor during the tournament in terms of fairways hit that's for sure. That is not the norm for him. He was 27th in driving accuracy last year and most of his career he has been mid 60% in terms of fairways hit.

He was playing a new driver last week, first tournament of the year with it so some tweaks may be required to get it right. It was also mentioned several times that the fairways had been tightened and the rough grown which added to the test it provided. The bottle he showed the last few holes when it really mattered to hit fairways was very impressive.

So happy he got the win.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    But whats consistency in golf?? Only say the top 10 win consistency or would have a great year but even for them its hard to keep it going look at Spieth now for example or DJ thats golf and the game we love. But I get what your saying.

I personally think he's had a great career so far and can only get better!

Consistency is taking the next step in his career now. Like you said - Getting consistent Top 10s etc would be brilliant.

On-the-flipside, if he's happy with the 'win every few years' type thing, the more power to him!

Consistency is taking the next step in his career now. Like you said - Getting consistent Top 10s etc would be brilliant.

On-the-flipside, if he's happy with the 'win every few years' type thing, the more power to him!

the consistency thing is something alright.

what was impressive though about the win was that he stuck at it and was able to produce good holes near the end.

on several occasions in the past he hasn't be able to do this on the final round when he was in contention and he went through a couple of bad holes.

some of his comments about the win bear this out about how he had discussed with his coach recently about being in such a situation and just to stick at it and keep the concentration levels up when things aren't going well.

obviously in this case he was fortunate that Sterne's flow took a turn for the worse but it's a very encouraging sign and mindset.
    “People looking from the outside probably thought I was gone, four behind with seven to play,” Lowry said. “But I’ve had great chats with my coach this week about just hanging in and staying there no matter what I do, what I shoot or what shots I hit. “Just keep going and it definitely helped me out there.” PA

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/19/shane-lowry-wins-first-golf-tournament-since-2015-abu-dhabi-hsbc-championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does Lowry work out? Jog or do weights? Does all that stuff matter in golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bobbyss wrote:

You bet it does.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »

Whatever he does.. he just won over a million for 4 days work.. so he should keep doing it.

bobbyss wrote: »

It massively overstated these days and is an invention of the last 10 - 15 years. Yes stay in shape. but......

Prior to that, the best golfers - did very little if any.

Nicklaus, Seve, Monty, Faldo.

It is primarily a game of skill - and the best exercise for golf is golf.

If Rory was to take 2 hours a day out of his gym work and just Putt he would be a better golfer.

It won’t be popular here - But John Daly has 2 majors , the scores of the guys that did none of this are similar - and many of them didn't get burnt out or injured

Shane isn't in great shape - but just went out and won 1 million.

People like to give Shane Stick because it doesn't fit the narrative that you need to be x to be a great golfer.

You need , skill , determination and time and time.

I'd say many of these lads turn up with a resistance band prior to their weekend game - and havent been to the practice green in 3 months. :D

You’re in for a long round when you see these lads - with their 15 min core strength pre round crap. Followed by a 210 yard slice on the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And how many more might Daly have won with a more disciplined lifestyle?

Shane is already a great golfer. The challenge is how to get more from it in a game of very fine margins.

He works on his fitness and he practices hard. He could maybe work on his self discipline and be a bit less available to his very sociable pals.

I think marriage and parenthood are helping with that and lets hope Abu Dhabi is the first step on reaching the next level.

A solid 69 (-3) to get this week underway in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Only joint 31st behind leader at 7 under. Paul Dunne 2 under

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It massively overstated these days and is an invention of the last 10 - 15 years. Yes stay in shape. but......

Prior to that, the best golfers - did very little if any.

Nicklaus, Seve, Monty, Faldo.

It is primarily a game of skill - and the best exercise for golf is golf.

If Rory was to take 2 hours a day out of his gym work and just Putt he would be a better golfer.

It won’t be popular here - But John Daly has 2 majors , the scores of the guys that did none of this are similar - and many of them didn't get burnt out or injured

Shane isn't in great shape - but just went out and won 1 million.

People like to give Shane Stick because it doesn't fit the narrative that you need to be x to be a great golfer.

You need , skill , determination and time and time.

I'd say many of these lads turn up with a resistance band prior to their weekend game - and havent been to the practice green in 3 months. :D

You’re in for a long round when you see these lads - with their 15 min core strength pre round crap. Followed by a 210 yard slice on the first.

That’s a load of nonsense. The fitter you are physically the better you are mentally and a lot of golf is decided upstairs. All the greats were extremely fit and lean. Of course you can still win the odd tournament even a Major but the chances increase if in excellent physical shape.

Btw I love Shane Lowry. He is a typical Irish lad who has a special golf talent. Comes from great Gaa tradition and never forgets his roots. Also has great pride in representing where he is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Shane up to -5 after 5. No coverage of him from Sky even after winning last week. It’s sll Westwood, Garcia. Poulter and Fleetwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

another birdie on a par 3. the man loves a 2!

solid start so far.

and another 2!
    -6 over all
    solid very very solid play

boom Birdie finish on 18 to record a -5 on the day and send him to -8 over all.
    that's a very good round indeed.

that's very good golf after a win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement