Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Hey MTC are these stats any good to you?

http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/ukclimate.html#HIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry for a rather slow response, I didn't see that post until just now, and yes I think some of that might be useful.

In the meantime, Deep Easterly sent me a link for Malin Head data for a suitably long period (1974-present) and I have started to assemble a file of winter daily pressure readings to test out the idea about pressure waves related to full and new moon. So far with about a quarter of the data input, I see a pretty good indication of lower pressure at Malin Head at these times.

It's going to take me a week or more to finish this because of a variety of other commitments (like three hours of sleep every so often) but I noticed a few very strong wind storms at the full moons in December and January during the period (which is so far anecdotal) but the more significant proof would be a demonstrable pressure curve that reaches its low points at or predictably near full and new moon dates.

I will post the results of this when it's finished. Thanks for your various links to data. :cool:

Looked like a savage full moon this morning.

Bad weather just passed=full moon????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

redsunset wrote: »
    Looked like a savage full moon this morning.

Bad weather just passed=full moon????????

Bad weather just passed=November??????

Looking forward to the results of your research MT. It will be interesting to find out if the fat of the moon has some effect on storminess. I wonder though, does the full moon only have an effect on storminess here in Ireland during the winter? or is more a global thing?

The theory I am developing with my research is based on a sort of interference pattern that the moon is postulated to cause in the atmosphere, aligned with the earth's magnetic field. As a result of this process, there are apparently a number of "timing lines" that would be longitude lines if they ran north-south, but they tend to run more northwest-southeast from the North Magnetic Pole to the South Magnetic Pole. In the northern hemisphere, you could visualize where these timing lines were by taking a line from west of Iceland through Ireland and France into the central Med, then connecting that to the NMP (which you could locate at 80N 100W for simplicity). Then draw eight more at equal distances as if the sphere of the earth had the north magnetic pole as its north pole.

Actually the system was developed first from North American data which is why I numbered the timing lines from "one" running through the Great Lakes and east coast of the U.S., eastward. This places Ireland near timing line three in the system. Meanwhile timing line two would be just east of Newfoundland.

I have done a lot of research and observation to try to flesh out this theory over more or less the past thirty years (unfortunately not with any research funding so it has gone slower as I needed to work at other things). There are still considerable gaps in my observational experience over eastern Asia but I have become convinced of the reality of the system from timing line 7 in the central Pacific through to timing line 4 in eastern Europe. As to postulated timing lines 5 and 6, these would run through parts of Siberia, China, Japan, etc, and I have less data or observational time invested there.

As to the southern hemisphere connections, they seem to work out as well, with the basic idea being that the timing lines feed across the equator at quite a diagonal and then straighten out more as they head for the south magnetic pole (which is offset somewhat from being exactly opposite the north magnetic pole). This places timing line one from east Africa through the central Indian Ocean; the French antarctic research station at Kerguelen appears to be just east of timing line one. The timing line through Ireland (3) runs across the equator south of India and emerges into the southern westerlies near eastern Australia.

It's an intriguing system because of its non-linear correspondence to lat and long (the meteorological equator is similar to what this predicts, generally slightly south of the equator in the Pacific and north in the Indian Ocean, but an operational model would probably look somewhat refined from a simple nine-wave interference pattern.)

Anyway, you can see that I had already done some observational work (mostly on positions of low pressure centres) to work out where timing line three might be. Malin Head is probably about six hours downstream from it, which should mean that signals are just about coincident with astronomical events there (as most lows form downstream from their upper level support).

I can't guarantee it, but I imagine that Ken Ring has found some if not all of these factors and worked them into his forecasting. He may be ahead of me in terms of finding successful analogues. However, whether or not he does, I do not think the Moon is the only player in this system. I also use the timing lines to track what are postulated to be "atmospheric components" of solar system magnetic field sectors. For whatever reason (probably the variable strength of the geomagnetic field) this system works from the premise that when the earth is in a field sector, the effect shows up over timing line one (in eastern North America). The directional sense of this theory is that as the earth moves through field sectors, the effects move eastward. Therefore, any effects noted on timing line three would be (approximately) 80 degrees behind the earth in the solar system and falling further behind unlss they are retrograde in which case they are catching up to the earth and moving west.

You can see how a system like this could evolve into a long-range forecasting system but my numerical analysis has (rather frustratingly) yielded so many distinct components to this model that while correlation is starting to become encouraging, monthly or seasonal forecast accuracy has a long way to go yet.

As I have been working on this pretty much continuously (when possible) for most of my adult lifetime, I don't know if I am going to get it to some point where I can usefully pass it on soon (as I am now 60 and change and could drop off who knows when) but I have established some working contacts with one or two people a generation younger to put them through the same intellectual torture that I have given myself over this time frame.

I understand that Ken Ring is also quite a crusty character and believe me, this sort of research will try the patience of just about anyone, there are many leads and also many dead ends, and the scale of the research challenge is clearly enormous.

I will keep working on this winter pressure series until I can show the results in a week or so. As I believe was explained earlier, I theorize that these waves would decouple into two or three separate series after late January and the summer analogue of reinforced waves might be much less impressive since the storm track then runs further from Ireland (a study of pressure in western Iceland might show similar results).

I've hinted therefore that the full and new moon are not the only lunar "events" that are postulated to cause low pressure on the timing lines. The two major "alternates" happen to fall at full and new moon in late December and are not far separated from them any time from early December to late January. This is why I have used a data set that starts seven days before the full moon in the time period Nov 16 to Dec 14.

Last note here, there is a further complication that arose from detailed study of data from the Great Lakes region (my data base is extensive for Toronto which runs 1840-present). That complication is that timing lines are seen to oscillate east-west over a certain amplitude (about half a wavelength) in ways that may be predictable ... and this may explain a scatter of data or events concerning the exact time when low pressure crosses any given timing line. So this study is not likely to show more than a statistical tendency; individual cases are determined by several other factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW MTC, that is some work you are doing! Do ya ever get time for a beer? :D

I would love to see some graphical representation of the work you are doing... all in good time I guess.

I've had the odd beer, in fact I had a very odd one last night. :D

It's proving a bit easier than I expected to transfer the data into my working files here, so I expect to have this pressure analysis for Malin Head finished later today or Thursday. I have the data from 1974 to 1999 assembled already and so it's just a matter of transferring the last ten years into the file.

Every two or three years of data, I have updated the curves to see what I'm dealing with, and really after about ten years of data the pattern became relatively set and is only changing slightly as I add more data. So I can tell you roughly what this is going to look like.

Somebody warned me that pressure effects related to the Moon were very small, like fractions of a millibar, which I had already read in the literature, but this is actually a different study concept altogether, where the daily pressure wave of the Moon (which has a 24.9 hour cycle) is extrapolated from hourly data at various stations.

What I'm researching is something entirely different, the site-specific pressure signals from lunar events over a monthly scale, using daily pressure averages. In essence this is tracking low pressure development at given locations, and the pressure amplitude is much larger, so far I'm finding it to be in excess of 10 mbs. The lower pressures come at regular intervals relative to the full and new moon cycle, as I line up the data not by calendar dates as we are used to doing, but by lunar dates, which involves adjustments of calendar-oriented data sets by a range of plus or minus 15 days so that in my data set, day 1 falls seven days before the first full moon of the winter period (which I place in the range 16 Nov to 14 Dec so that on average we are looking at the data for Dec, Jan and the first half of Feb in the 76d data set).

This means that days 8, 38 and 67 are the statistical averages of the full moon dates in the compilation. New moons fall around days 23 and 53. The slightly variable lunar orbit means that if you fix the dates of full moon, new moon dates will vary slightly more, but this all smooths out in 35 years of data.

So far what I'm seeing is that the pressures fall to lowest average values right at the full and new moons in the January portion of the data, which is what I have been observing more anecdotally in the past five years as I joined UK and now Irish weather forums and got interested in the daily details of the weather in the British Isles. The same pressure wave extends from the beginning of the data set but seems a little longer than the 14.8 days implied by the full-new-full-new cycle. It's more like 16.5 days. This may be because in the late autumn, stronger lows frequently head for the vicinity of the Norwegian Sea and produce a vortex up there near timing line four in my model, so the seeding low pressure for that rushes by Ireland a few days before the full deepening of this vortex. But by January with blocking up in that region on more occasions, the actual timing line mechanism begins to dominate the pressure cycle.

Anyway, it looks like quite a regular 12-14 mb pressure oscillation over this period of time, and demonstrates that there very well may be a complex lunar atmospheric tide over the Atlantic basin. I'm sure that the same effect is happening over the eastern Pacific basin too, as many of our stronger winter storms occur at the midwinter full and new moons.

My theory would expect this pressure wave to break down into smaller harmonics through the spring and recombine into seasonally smaller waves in the summer, then decouple again in the early autumn.

So it's just a matter of putting in the rest of the data and then I'll transfer the file over here so you can see the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

^^^^^
    very intresting reading, not that i understand everything, but not to worry :D

Cheers MTC looking forward to your findings.

• Advertisement

I've finished the data entry and done some analysis on it, which is leading to some other concepts that I want to investigate before I report on it completely.

Also, I think I should start a new thread that is more topical to this research and not have it mixed up in the Ken Ring discussion, which got hijacked by this discussion. So look for a thread in a day or two that will be more suitable for further discussions of this concept of lunar-atmospheric interactions as they apply to Ireland (and specifically Malin Head).

Just to give a few glimpses of what the data show, for the 35 winters ending last winter (1974-75 to 2008-09) I found a regular pulse of atmospheric pressure having a period of about 16 days and an amplitude of about 10 mbs (from troughs of about 1004 mbs to peaks of about 1014 mbs on average), and the troughs coincided with full and new moon although with the longer period, this overlap was best in the late December and January part of the data set (which was designed to cover all December and January data as well as required extra data from late November or early February to keep the data centered on the lunar and not the solar-year calendar).

You'll see these details when I post graphs and more extensive discussions. I also looked at halves of the data for consistency. There was very good correlation from the half of data with the earlier full moon dates and the half with later full moon dates. So the timing of the lunar events in the calendar year does not affect the process noticeably. There was also good correlation of winters with higher overall pressure, with winters of lower overall pressure. In other words, whether it's a blocking pattern or a stormy winter, or just an average one, these pressure waves show up at about the same amplitude, just shifted up or down with the overall pressure trend.

Overall, I concluded that there was a significant process going on in the atmosphere to cause a peak of storminess around these winter full and new moons. There was a tendency to higher pressure especially in the period just before the January new moon, which is a time where the moon moves south across the equator and towards its "southern maximum declination" -- this pressure peak rapidly gives way to a trough at the time of the January new moon (I can say January new moon because the range of possible dates given the setup of my data is about 31 Dec to 30 Jan).

As to the longer cycle of 16 days, this may be explained by some offset process that a longer series of data covering the whole year would reveal, or it may be due to a gradual retrograde annual pressure wave embedded in the system. Since the period was expected to be 14.8 days, slowing it by one "pulse" per calendar year would lengthen it to about 16.2 days.

Of course, I have no idea yet what the data would show for other parts of the year. In any case, I would say, wait until I have time to post the whole analysis in a separate thread, and then we could discuss this interesting result further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gene Derm

I've finished the data entry and done some analysis on it, which is leading to some other concepts that I want to investigate before I report on it completely.

Also, I think I should start a new thread that is more topical to this research and not have it mixed up in the Ken Ring discussion, which got hijacked by this discussion. So look for a thread in a day or two that will be more suitable for further discussions of this concept of lunar-atmospheric interactions as they apply to Ireland (and specifically Malin Head).

Just to give a few glimpses of what the data show, for the 35 winters ending last winter (1974-75 to 2008-09) I found a regular pulse of atmospheric pressure having a period of about 16 days and an amplitude of about 10 mbs (from troughs of about 1004 mbs to peaks of about 1014 mbs on average), and the troughs coincided with full and new moon although with the longer period, this overlap was best in the late December and January part of the data set (which was designed to cover all December and January data as well as required extra data from late November or early February to keep the data centered on the lunar and not the solar-year calendar).

You'll see these details when I post graphs and more extensive discussions. I also looked at halves of the data for consistency. There was very good correlation from the half of data with the earlier full moon dates and the half with later full moon dates. So the timing of the lunar events in the calendar year does not affect the process noticeably. There was also good correlation of winters with higher overall pressure, with winters of lower overall pressure. In other words, whether it's a blocking pattern or a stormy winter, or just an average one, these pressure waves show up at about the same amplitude, just shifted up or down with the overall pressure trend.

Overall, I concluded that there was a significant process going on in the atmosphere to cause a peak of storminess around these winter full and new moons. There was a tendency to higher pressure especially in the period just before the January new moon, which is a time where the moon moves south across the equator and towards its "southern maximum declination" -- this pressure peak rapidly gives way to a trough at the time of the January new moon (I can say January new moon because the range of possible dates given the setup of my data is about 31 Dec to 30 Jan).

As to the longer cycle of 16 days, this may be explained by some offset process that a longer series of data covering the whole year would reveal, or it may be due to a gradual retrograde annual pressure wave embedded in the system. Since the period was expected to be 14.8 days, slowing it by one "pulse" per calendar year would lengthen it to about 16.2 days.

Of course, I have no idea yet what the data would show for other parts of the year. In any case, I would say, wait until I have time to post the whole analysis in a separate thread, and then we could discuss this interesting result further.
    Hi MT
    Ken Ring here, I had to register on this forum using this pseudonym to get on, because I made an error with my email address so could not activate membership.
    I think your work confirms my work. There is an atmospheric tide that is cojoined to the ocean tide, as one would expect. After all, they are one interactive system. It would be weird if this was not so. High air pressure means the atmosphere overhead is piled up in a big wave crest and a low barometer indicates a trough overhead; and the opposite is happening with the seatide, so moon in northern declination brings the N hem higher tides but lowered barometer, and down in the other hemisphere this is reversed. The net effect is (I have found) that declination is in charge, and proximity of new/full moon focuses the timing. In other words the higher tidal variations come around full/new moons but it is lunar declination really moving the water. Moon in N dec causes higher tides for N hem and they wait till FM/NM to peak. It is no coincidence that highest tides of the month occur all over the world around the same date! The atmosphere is the same. The moon changing hemispheres is responsible for the barometric changes. What we have is a situation whereby the tilt of the earth is responsible for tides and probably therefore for life, because otherwise we would not have seasons nor photosynthesis. This because if the earth was upright there would be a constant equatorial tide only, and sunlight would not get through the constant cloud that would be on the daylight sun's side of the rotating earth.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Gene Derm wrote: »
    Hi MT
    Ken Ring here, I had to register on this forum using this pseudonym to get on, because I made an error with my email address so could not activate membership.
    I think your work confirms my work. There is an atmospheric tide that is cojoined to the ocean tide, as one would expect. After all, they are one interactive system. It would be weird if this was not so. High air pressure means the atmosphere overhead is piled up in a big wave crest and a low barometer indicates a trough overhead; and the opposite is happening with the seatide, so moon in northern declination brings the N hem higher tides but lowered barometer, and down in the other hemisphere this is reversed. The net effect is (I have found) that declination is in charge, and proximity of new/full moon focuses the timing. In other words the higher tidal variations come around full/new moons but it is lunar declination really moving the water. Moon in N dec causes higher tides for N hem and they wait till FM/NM to peak. It is no coincidence that highest tides of the month occur all over the world around the same date! The atmosphere is the same. The moon changing hemispheres is responsible for the barometric changes. What we have is a situation whereby the tilt of the earth is responsible for tides and probably therefore for life, because otherwise we would not have seasons nor photosynthesis. This because if the earth was upright there would be a constant equatorial tide only, and sunlight would not get through the constant cloud that would be on the daylight sun's side of the rotating earth.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Hi ken,

Have your thoughts changed much for this winter in ireland? Given net weathers permilary winter forecast?

k.

Kippure wrote: »
    Hi ken,

Have your thoughts changed much for this winter in ireland? Given net weathers permilary winter forecast?

k.
    Hi K
    I don't know what Net Weather are saying, and unless Sun and moon are involved in their calculations I think people are just shooting in the dark. No, I don't change something once I say it - it is virtually fixed in concrete, being based on a mathematical algorithm rather than a moving satellite with a rotating camera, anymore than publishers change commercial tidetables or diaries and calendars as a certain date is approached. As it says on my website, I think Ireland is looking at drier periods Dec 11-23 and Jan 21-31, wetter in the first half of January and the second half of February, March and April will probably be sodden washout months and Summer arrives in May.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers for participating on here with your knowledge. I don't know if you are aware, but many of us here are continiously looking for snowfall during the winter time - probably due to the great lack of it in the past ten years or so... what are your thoughts on snowfall for the season ahead?

Ken, thanks for the reply, I am working on the data file to incorporate a graph into a report on my data analysis which is otherwise ready for posting.

I will start a new thread so that this one can go back to the original topic at hand. Ken, I'm not sure if your research method looks into any other processes than lunar-atmospheric, but as mine does, we may not necessarily derive the same forecasts at all times.

I've been working on a winter forecast for Ireland (and for the UK) and it does show some hope for wintry weather mostly in the periods 17-27 December and 10-25 January. Not saying that it will be continuously cold and snowy in those periods, but those seem to be the best "windows of opportunity" for winter synoptics to develop. This forecast will be posted in the daily forecast thread as a special feature on Saturday (7th).

In my research, I have uncovered evidence of independent variables acting on the atmosphere, not only the lunar effects we are discussing here, but some other processes in the solar system's complex magnetic field. If our Moon were not active at all in the system, we'd be left with these other effects (in my view), which are longer-term variations on the time scale of months rather than days.

As to conventional factors in long-range forecasting, I have to suppose that these are all incorporated into the overall systems that are being studied in these alternative methods, for example, the El Nino may be predictable from some of these variables, and this might explain the teleconnections better than some concept of related signals. The one factor that I would certainly recognize as external to the system is volcanic dust -- if a major volcanic dust veil were to be introduced to any set-up, it would cool things down within that set-up. Obviously, large-scale changes in solar radiation would have the same effects, and this indicates an independent role for even the current small variations of the solar minimum period, but these background factors would not sizeably affect the pressure oscillations or therefore the storm tracks etc, just the overall temperature profiles of the whole system.

In any case, look for this other thread to open up with a discussion of the pressure patterns from the Malin Head data.

Danno and MT
    My wintry look is posted on
    https://www.predictweather.co.nz/assets/articles/article_resources.php?id=159
    The dates of Jan 20 and Feb 21 concur with MT. If the solar minimum continues then snow is obviously more likely.
    To answer your qestion MT, I use solar cycles for rain amounts, moon cycles for rain timing, and midpoint astrology for crosschecking. I use no earth-bound factors as I consider them as a tail wagging a dog. As to volcanic dust as an example, my thinking is that anything in the air cannot alter weather, e.g. there is weather on other planets but no air, and the solar wind can be considered weather that goes throughout the cosmos, extending for about a light year. I have looked at temperature averages in various locations in years on either side of the Mt Pinatubo event and I can find no statistically valid variation from normal cyclic expectation. The air is only a gas moved around by weather that was formed by forces millions of miles away and by interstellar tides. In the same way an impurity introduced into the sea, no matter in what quantity or force, cannot alter tides.
    As to moon or other factors, I think the wave that arrives at a shore or a shower on one's head is not a random event but the end of its journey, the resultant of huge and ancient-to-current extraterrestrial phenomena. I would not rule out any factors above the troposphere, but I think the weather script is already 'on paper' by the time it has entered our atmosphere. It then gets modified by orographic variables.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

I recently posted a winter forecast on my daily forecast thread (on today's date, Sat 7 Nov).

Meanwhile, as to this other thread and the graphical presentation, I have encountered some problems converting my research computer file into a worksheet that is compatible with MS word, and while I think this can be solved over a day or two of fiddling, I have to go out of town for most of this week and my internet time after this session is going to be very limited, so I wanted to just post the "heart" of the data which shows the pressure oscillation at Malin Head around the times of the late December to early January full moon and the following January new moon.

This is a bit rough and ready, but what you see below is the average pressure from day 30 of the data series to day 62 in the mid-winter part of the data, and places the full moon at day 8 of this segment (day 37 of the larger set). Each ("X") here represents half a millibar above 1000 mbs. The actual values are shown. The mean range of dates here is very similar to the coming winter's actual timetable where the full moons are on 2 and 31 Dec, and 30 Jan. So this would represent the part of the data corresponding to about 24 Dec to 25 Jan this coming winter. However, it's not meant as a prediction, that would involve factoring in other parts of the theory. I do think that we will see strong low pressure with the 31 Dec and 30 Jan full moons, and with the 15 Jan new moon.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 12.1
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 8.7
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX 6.3
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 8.5
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7.9
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7.6
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7.0
    XXXXXXXXXX 4.8 (full moon)
    XXXXXXXXXXX 5.4
    XXXXXXXXXX 4.8
    XXXXXXXXXXX 5.6
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 8.1
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7.7
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX 6.8
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 9.4
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 11.3
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10.9
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 11.7
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 13.3
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 9.9
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX 6.7
    XXXXXXXXXX 5.2
    XXXX 2.2 (new moon)
    XXXXXXXX 4.1
    XXXXXXXXXXX 5.3
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 7.3
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 9.7
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10.7
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10.9
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 11.9
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 12.1
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 11.0
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 8.5

This shows quite clearly a regular oscillation of pressure related to the lunar cycle, at least for the winters of the past 35 years. The range of full moon dates that fall into this part of the data set would be 16 Dec to 14 Jan, and the range of new moon dates would be 31 Dec to 30 Jan.

The secondary trough at day 39 (F+2) is probably the signature of the full moon "event" from upstream timing line 2 running across timing line three. In general, you can see how low pressure seems to "hang around" for about five or six days at this point in the lunar cycle, then higher pressure develops until the sharper trough of the new moon event replaces it.

As I discussed earlier, the winters with lower average pressure have basically this same process on a lower trend line, so the troughs are more like 995 mbs. Winters with higher average pressure would basically see a relaxation of the strong blocking highs as storms would take a far northern route but the pattern is similar.

Once I get back to home base I can work on the data file more and get this worked up to a better overall presentation, but I wanted people to have a chance to see these results.

Thanks MT
    The main point is that the moon by virtue of creating an upper tide exerts a huge influence on air pressure. Changes in air pressure are what we perceive as 'weather'. Lunar declination moves the volumes of both sea and air and the system 'waits' for full and new moons to culminate as peaks. Yet most meteorologists deny the moon has any role at all in influencing air pressures.
    It seems we can't view attachments here, but I would be very interested to see your working graph, if you wouldn't mind emailing me on ken@predictweather.com
    In return, I too have some graphs that perhaps may be of interest.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

I believe the main reason for official skepticism is that research in the past has followed the concept of daily "tides" in the atmosphere on the 24.9 hour time scale, and also that obviously the effect that we are talking about does not happen at all points in the atmosphere at the same time. To find this effect, you have to have a timing structure, otherwise you would mix together places in phase and places out of phase with the effects. It would be like driving through a zone of heavy radio interference (near a transmitter), averaging out the effects and saying there was half a radio signal in the region. Of course, reality is, there is either a radio signal, or nothing. It's that kind of paradigm we are dealing with, shaped by fluid processes and climatology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Once I get back to home base I can work on the data file more and get this worked up to a better overall presentation, but I wanted people to have a chance to see these results.

MT, this is quite unintelligible. Are you saying that malin head full and new moons are correlated with low pressures? What statistical tests have you used? What t-value (probablity of findings not due to pure chance) have you found?

Because the hypothesis you started with wasn't confined to winter. It sounds like a theory in search of the evidence.

Gene Derm wrote: »
    Thanks MT
    The main point is that the moon by virtue of creating an upper tide exerts a huge influence on air pressure. Changes in air pressure are what we perceive as 'weather'. Lunar declination moves the volumes of both sea and air and the system 'waits' for full and new moons to culminate as peaks. Yet most meteorologists deny the moon has any role at all in influencing air pressures.
    www.predictweather.com

Hi Ken, nice to see you in the discussion. I don't think anyone denies the lunar influence on air pressure, they merely see it as so small as to be practically inconsequential. I imagine it can't be that hard to prove whether the moon effects air pressure. Can you show us the results of your analysis so we can all see them?

I'm curious about your Irish forecasts - they seem to be exact copies of climate data from the previous saros cycle. Again, is there some kind of analysis to show that your method provides a forecast which is more accurate than what you might get from just a seasonal guess?

You could compare rainfall, max/min temps, sunshine daily figures, etc for 3 or 4 stations over a 50-year period, and estimate the likelihood that you forecast was better than an average figure for the day. Wanna do it for the benefit of your Irish fans? Shouldn't be that hard.

Take the root-mean-square of the differences between your forecasts and the actuals, and the RMS difference between the seasonal average and the actuals, and compare the 2. Which is bigger? No need for any weird twists of logic.

Octo, the theory being developed has been extensively explained in previous posts. I would expect to see the largest pressure oscillations in mid-winter because of the climatology of western Europe in general. The data shown above apply to the 35 years that were available from the provided link, I would have preferred to use 50 or more, but this is a reasonably long period.

If you took average pressure per day through December and January from the calendar year and not this adjusted lunar timetable, I am sure the patterns would be more random but I will work on that when I get time.

A 10-12 mb pressure oscillation is clearly "significant" -- you mentioned that the literature talked about daily oscillations of less than 0.1 mb, so these are on the order of 100 times as large as what conventional research has decided to be non-significant.

As I discussed earlier, the annual presentation is more complicated than just a standing 14.8 day oscillation; there is another set of equally significant oscillations having a 13.7 day period and these reinforce best in late December and early January, which is why I have selected that period to show the combined effects. I would expect weaker cycles with more of a random appearance through spring and autumn months, but possibly another period of more regular cycles in June and July (when the two different sets overlap again).

One other point, the full moon timing is of course global, there is no such thing as a "Malin Head full moon" -- and these times are derived from published astronomical data for the years concerned.

I certainly can't persuade the atmospheric science community to take these alternate theories seriously, but a pressure oscillation this large over 35 years is not what one would expect if one was testing the alternate hypothesis, "lunar phase has no correlation with winter atmospheric pressure near the main storm track." I would say that on balance, my contention of significance comes out ahead of the conventional reply of no significance after this study.

Hi Octo
    Do I detect a hint of antagonism in your tone? Are you a meteorologist? It is no secret that I use metonic, double metonic, selene and nodal cycles for moon, and sunspot cycles for sun, plus close planet movements especially Mercury declination. Constellations are really declination-energy roadmaps. Temperatures are combinations of both solar and lunar for instance warmer in Aries or Leo, but being tied to pressure is also a function of declination. Also, I find temperatures are extremely localised and frankly are not constant enough to be reliable indicators of anything other than trends. Some cycles I find are better for rain amounts, and for numbers of rain days in a month, and some for weather event timing. Nodal crossings don't cause weather events, but they do focus the timing of them. Usually moisture in the air develops into a front 2 days after a node. The stone circle builders seem to have employed the metonic. Also whereas saros can put you half a month out which incurs a seasonal error, metonic has the advantage of bringing one back to the same time of the month.
    Using one cycle alone is a recipe for disaster. If using solely lunar factors one is well advised to combine all and come up with an average, because no one cycle contains all repeatable lunar factors from one time frame to another. It is akin to calculating sealevel rise..what day of level in the past is comparable to that of a future day? Sealevel is controlled at any one time by perigee+declination+phase+wind direction+wind speed+proximate underwater tectonic activity. There is no day in the past when all these came together in exactly the same way. It is the same with the lunar/solar weather factors, which is why I think a more general, trends-based approach is required.
    As to the results of my analyses, they are my predictions which I have been doing all year on various interviews on Irish radio and in media print. I can supply links to these if you are that interested. I do not have time to do 50 years of back data analyses, any more than do the Metservices.
    To say the lunar influence on air pressure is so small as to be inconsequential is to call coincidence the observed fact that air balloons float higher on new and full moon days, when there are "king" tides in both sea and air.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Hi Ken – Thanks for your reply. To answer your personal questions, well, agnosticism perhaps – and leaning heavily towards disbelief. Perhaps this came across as antagonism. My work certainly overlaps with meteorology.

Although I doubt meteorologists are familiar with your arcane terminology. The description of your method certainly sounds very sciencey on a passing reading – and very elaborate. However it doesn’t correlate with my examinations of your forecasts.

For example, your [URL="here http://www.celbridgetidytowns.com/weather/weather-predict-sept-2009.html"]September forecast for Dublin [/URL]is an exact (decimals rounded off) copy of the Dublin Airport daily data from August 22 to September 20 1991. Exact. So what’s all this about ‘metonic’ and ‘selene’, etc?

Your golfing forecast is also an exact replica of the dry periods of18 years and 10 days previously. Erick Brenstrum of the NZ Met Office has pointed out that you previously took NZ weather maps and tippexed out the dates from 18 yrs 10days previously and presented them as your own. It looks obvious this is what you're doing in Ireland also. Although I'm given to understand that in NZ you sometimes you use a period of 17 years and 22 days. What cycle is that?

So your forecast method in fact looks remarkably simple. I think I could do it too. But hey, that’s ok if it works. I mean that.

So, can you show me some kind of evidence that it works? On what basis can we analyse and verify your predictions? What would seem fair to you?

I’m curious about Mercury “close planet movements” – are you saying that mercury effects our weather through gravity also, or is it through some other more ethereal force?

I remain open to persuasion. You assert many things, like “moisture in the air develops into a front 2 days after a node”. If you could point to something in scientific literature to substantiate your claims you might be taken more considerately.

Octo
    As you say, I have been accused of using more than one cycle, which I too admit. But if it was only that then would it was so simple! I use astrology, but as "Octo" I cannot trust to any comfortable discussion with you because you have me at a disadvantage. You know my name because I do not hide behind a nom de plume. You could be the Head of Met Eireann for all I know. You also seem intent on drawing me into an unpleasant brawl that questions my validity and credibility, by asking more than once for analyses. I respectfully suggest that you end this small friction that you have brought to this thread. Having to be defensive is tiresome.
    Suffice that I use the ancient astrological energy grid of the constellations, and lunar and solar cycles. I believe the sun comes first, then constellations. The moon answers to the sun but is also tethered to constellations.
    To avoid appearing inquisitional, may I suggest that now may be the time to express something of yourself and your methods, rather than just query mine.
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Hi Ken

I've followed a few of your previous fora conversations like netweather, Silly Beliefs and Ski Forums, (isn't google great?) and I've noticed a similar pattern, whereby you label anyone who questions your work to be 'close minded', 'aggressive', 'antagonistic', etc. So I know that you perceive any critical comments to be a personal attack and I’ll desist asking for any analysis of your accuracy, I don’t want to upset you.

Your forecasts interest me because I am a meteorological officer - it is my work and those of my colleagues that you recycle as weather forecasts – so forgive me if I feel a slight ownership of them. I’m a farmer too – you respect farmers, don’t you? People ask me about you and I’m curious too. There’s no doubt you called a few things right, particularly the start of the September dry spell (although you signaled it to end after about 2 weeks, when it actually lasted far longer). So, frequency of Irish September dry spells aside (‘Buchans’ spells), it was a good prediction, Kudos. Your daily max & min temperatures, sunshine and rainfall forecasts are worthless. Btw, I like the rainfall maps, nice graphics. You did forecast a wet summer - although hardly a freak event in Ireland, and you didn’t say how almost record-breaking it would be - but another good call nonetheless.

So – is it just luck? Is it that you make enough forecasts and on the law of averages some of them are bound to come right, and you then just point to the hits and ignore the misses? Or, is there something to it? You seem determined not to find out.

So now we can’t discuss your results, maybe you’d tell me about your method. You put yourself on an equal footing as our Celtic ancestors who built Newgrange – yet I’m sure they wouldn’t do anything as crude as simply copy exactly the weather from 18 years 10 days ago. They were sophisticated builders. You keep saying you have a complex system – but a cursory examination shows you don’t. I know astrologers – it is a beautiful and complex art form (although I disagree about its predictive properties). Your methodology is a sledgehammer and their’s is a tweezers.

From what you’ve told me, you use some kind of hidden mysterious (arbitrary?) method to decide which period to use to copy your forecasts. But you don’t use astrology to predict the weather. You get us, the meteorological services you constantly insult and deride, to do your donkey work for you.

Are all your Irish forecasts for 2010 based on the 18 yr 10 day cycle? If I go into competition and publish a cheaper version, will you sue me?

Octo
    Yes, obviously it is a personal attack, and unbefitting of this forum. I am 14,000 miles away and have never threatened you.
    You say "I don't want to upset you" at the same time you will "go into competition and publish a cheaper version". How will that not upset me? You admit you are a meteorologist. Well, whoever you are, (who is "Octo"?) such a threat brings disrepute to that profession.
    As to my method, I am not bound to tell anyone, especially a meteorologist when I was so thoroughly scoffed at by the head of the Ireland Metoffice on radio. I have already given much away here in the spirit of sharing information, in an interesting discussion with MT Cranium. But now, clearly I cannot share any more, as it will provide fuel for you to bring me down if you can. For some reason you have made my existence a matter personal to you. Even for this discussion, this forum is already the poorer.
    Just for the record, no, I don't only use 18/10. I told you, I use the nodal for focus. I also use other cycles, like metonic and Selene and I employ three astrology programmes - Astrolog, Solar Fires De Luxe and Janus4. Some have features the others don't. Sometimes all cycles happily point in the same direction. This is what happened over the Irish summer. My system is as complex as any other system. I crosscheck like crazy.
    You say that "Your daily max & min temperatures, sunshine and rainfall forecasts are worthless." If that is the case then surely the public will realise I am useless and no longer buy my work. Your problem about me being around will fix itself by natural selection.
    Returning to you saying "If I go into competition and publish a cheaper version, will you sue me?" This is an interesting development. If I am so incorrect why bother setting up a duplicate business? After previously determining my methods don't work, you now claim you will do exactly the same, with what you think is my method, except that you will make it more available by being cheaper. What an odd thing to say.
    The upshot is that now you have put into print (on this forum) that you are contemplating harming my business. So yes, I will seek legal advice if you proceed. Can you not abide someone with a different viewpoint?

Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Ken - A number of points.
    • I'm a meteorological officer, not a meteorologist. We work at synoptic weather stations, collecting data - we don't produce forecasts. I represent only myself in this discussion.
    • I've looked at about 5 of your forecasts - every one of them was a simple recycling of 18yrs 10days climatalogical data, including your golfing forecast for the winter ahead. A child could do it. Even astrologers should be insulted.
    • Relax. I withdraw my threat to compete with your publication and threaten your healthy livelihood.
    • As to natural selection - 3 million years of evolution and there's still a sucker born every minute.

• Advertisement

I'm back from my trip out of town, so now I have access to my data-storage computer again. I hope to work away at extending the winter data that I already stored, so that I can produce an annual set of pressure analyses for the Malin Head data. I wouldn't expect (from climatology) that the curves will have the larger 12-14 mbs amplitude that we see in the segment that I provided above (which corresponds approximately to late December and most of January).

Actually in my own case, this pressure curve for one event would not really be a sort of make or break test for the theory because large parts of my own theoretical framework have less to do with lunar events and more to do with solar system magnetic field sectors that are rotating around at various times. This phenomenon is already known in the astronomical literature and some other met researchers are looking into cause and effect of earth's passage through field sectors relating to changes in large-scale weather patterns.

This research is not very well-developed yet, and I could quite honestly say it is not widely known in the community as few papers have been published. I would look for this to gain ground somewhat gradually over the period 2010-20 as well as the possibility that research into lunar effects and cycles will pass the publication barrier and get into the mainstream of discussion. For one thing, now that I have retired from full time non-met employment I have more time to finish off research projects that are mainly in the data analysis stage without having had much opportunity to work on the idea of publication.

That pressure oscillation shown above is certainly a significant phenomenon over 35 years of data. The fact that you get the same basic curves with about .8 to .9 correlation by arbitrarily taking two halves of data seems to reinforce the notion of significance (the process is working equally in two data sets divided at random in terms of years).

As to this back-and-forth between Ken and Octo, this really settles nothing. If there are significant lunar cycles at the time intervals that Ken is finding significant, then reproducing past data with corrections to lunar dates (or whatever other factors) is merely a shorthand method for a cycle-driven model from index values which would be my approach if I were to try to make the same forecasts (which I don't, I am not set up to engage in commercial forecasting ventures).

So I would not criticize the work on that basis, it would likely not change any correlation factor to do it either way (straight data from past vs index values from analogue cases).

The use of the word "astrology" is also somewhat misleading. Astrology as the modern practice of attempting to forecast events in personal lives or to draw conclusions about personality traits, may or may not have any merit (I am not a follower of this in any case, and have no inclination to suspect that it would be non-random in those regards). However, that kind of "astrology" may be thought of as some sort of long-term corruption of a different kind of "astronomical knowledge" that may have existed in the past, or which we may now be uncovering through this research. The position of the Moon is obviously very important because of its orbital characteristics, and one could debunk the idea that this is "astrological" simply with reference to oceanic tide tables. But a discussion of planetary influences might sound more astrological in the popular sense. I would point to the fact that research shows that the rotating solar system magnetic field sectors are linked to planetary orbital cycles, either the sectors are rotating in sync with some of the larger planets, or in some harmonic of their periods. This is a physical rather than a mystic or metaphysical process and therefore the operational question is not whether the effects are "known to science" but more, how large are the effects?

The solar system magnetic field is basically a portrait of the actual shape and intensity (in three dimensions) of the solar wind. Clearly if there are variations in the solar wind, even on the order of 0.1 per cent, this would have the potential to affect the geomagnetic field and possibly terrestrial weather as well. If the sector differences were as large as 0.5 per cent these variations could be as large as some of the more significant terrestrial atmospheric variations like the El Nino. A researcher named David Dilley has shown some indications that lunar perigee is connected to El Nino as well, but in my research, I found that harmonics in the rotating SSMF sectors associated with Jupiter had a correlation with the SOI (the index that includes the El Nino and La Nina patterns).

Now this is all in a developmental stage and it could realistically take me another three to five years to work up what is already done (numerical analyses of the SOI index values 1950 to present) into a passable scientific paper. The problem for me with all projects concerning publication of papers would be the underlying theory which needs to be at least referenced or mentioned in any given paper. Since an exposition of that requires a minimum of 100 pages (too long for a scientific paper) I have to go the more difficult route of establishing this theoretical framework by making specific cases for it in specific subject areas (like pressure at Malin Head).

Anyway, the real challenge for me at this point is to publish or perish first. As I am now 60.443721265123056 earth years (and rising) of age and mental acuity often declines past 75 (some would say 59 in my case), not to mention life expectancy being about that, I must stop wasting time talking about what I am doing, and just go and do ... and let the chips fall where they may as I go about it.

Advertisement