Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCabe Murderers released

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

So what is your opinion?
    The fact is they were found guilty, sentenced and served their time. End of.

Let me guess, you're hoping to start another bash SF thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

They were found guilty of a lesser charge due to intimidation, which is the reason why many people will never accept that they've "served their time", much like how Gerry Adams STILL doesn't accept that they weren't entitled to early release.

If he's entitled to that opinion - voicing it even today, when it's no longer relevant - then we're entitled to ours.

And where was SF even mentioned, RedPlanet ? I didn't see Het-Field refer to that party AT ALL.

Murderers being jailed, or released from jail should have nothing to do with SF; I presume - through laws of averages - many thugs are jailed and released every day of the week who are members of Labour, FF, FG ?

Of course, TDs from those parties don't usually pick them up from jail, thereby inviting criticism and comment; but that's THEIR choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    They were found guilty of a lesser charge due to intimidation, which is the reason why many people will never accept that they've "served their time", much like how Gerry Adams STILL doesn't accept that they weren't entitled to early release.

If he's entitled to that opinion - voicing it even today, when it's no longer relevant - then we're entitled to ours.

And where was SF even mentioned, RedPlanet ? I didn't see Het-Field refer to that party AT ALL.

Murderers being jailed, or released from jail should have nothing to do with SF; I presume - through laws of averages - many thugs are jailed and released every day of the week who are members of Labour, FF, FG ?

Of course, TDs from those parties don't usually pick them up from jail, thereby inviting criticism and comment; but that's THEIR choice.

The TD will be re-elected regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Excellent news, they should have been released in 1998 as the were qualifying prisoners under the GFA. Hopefully they can now get on with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I dont think the release of murderers back into society can ever be considered "excellent news"

300 new jobs for my home town is "excellent news"
    The wife coming home with a big pay rise is "excellent news"

the release of these scum isnt.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Excellent news, they should have been released in 1998 as the were qualifying prisoners under the GFA. Hopefully they can now get on with their lives.

Go on - FTA; explain to me again how you assume that they qualified ? Without the smoke-and-mirrors this time around.

And then explain to me how anyone but the most twisted and sick individual could claim that the release of cold blooded cop-killers is "excellent news".

Your opinion on this sickens me.

The only sentence that I would use the word "hopefully" and "their lives" for is toward that of Ann McCabe and her family.

Gerry doesn't have that luxury, of course.

Actually before you reply, FTA; don't bother. I've no intention of throwing up on my laptop, so having seen you use the words "Excellent news" at the start of your post, I'll be using the "ignore user" option..... so don't actually bother replying..... no amount of bull**** that you spout would cover the fact that you obviously prefer to have murderers and thugs on the street than Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Hopefully they can now get on with their lives.

Unfortunately Det. Gerry McCabe's widow Anne will never be able to get on with her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They shot two Gardai in cold blood, murdering one.

They should have been in jail for longer, and it's not "excellent news" that they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

RedPlanet wrote: »
    So what is your opinion?
    The fact is they were found guilty, sentenced and served their time. End of.

Let me guess, you're hoping to start another bash SF thread?

My opinion is they should have hung for capital murder.
    Hopefully the guards will keep a close eye on them, wouldn't want them getting away with breaking red lights or doing 50.0001 in a 50 zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It has nothing to do with Sinn Fein. These are individuals who in a cold blooded manner took a life. Equally, there are another two cowards who ran away from responsibility, and have been on the run ever since.

Under the law, they were entitled to be released, and that is fair enough. However, the normal course of justice was not adhered to. It is well know that witness tampering, intimidation and shenanagins were engaged in to try and exonerate these pieces of human excrement. It is inexcusable what occured, and I have met more than one "Republican" who believes that regardless of the GFA these men should never have been jailed in the first place.

Marie Murray shot a man in the Phoenix Park in 1977. She was escaping from an armed robbery committed in common design with her husband. The man she shot and killed happened to be an off duty police officer. This left her liable to a charge of capital murder, which she was convicted of. This conviction ensured a death sentance, and before the law on recklessness was clarified in the run up to her execution date, the gallows were being built in kilmanham Jail. This sentence was commuted to life, after it was deemed she was not reckless vis-avis the man's job.

In the McCabe case, these men knew what they were doing. To hide behind the GFA, and "martyerdom" is bollocks. These men, like Marie Murray (and her husband) killed a man in cold blood. Forgiveness for the act should not be forthcoming, and I only hope that they slink back into a quiet life, with NO public fanfare from the "Republican" community in the North. Either it doesnt mitigate for what they have done, and under the legal definition of Muder, they are just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Unfortunately not - just as the brits had to drop the extradition charges 'to keep the peace', the gardai will be under instruction to lay off these two individuals.

We also voted in a referendum to remove any sort of death penalty in ireland a few years back so as much as i'd like to see them strung up, i'm a democrat who recognises the Republic of Ireland, its courts, and its laws... unlike a certain TD who refused to recognise the irish court he was tried in for gun running.

Edit... i'll give ye a hint - said TD collected these lads from castlerea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

CODE OF CONDUCT FOR MEMBERS OF DÁIL ÉIREANN OTHER THAN OFFICE HOLDERS

CODE
    1. Members must, in good faith, strive to maintain the public trust placed in them, and exercise the influence gained from their membership of Dáil Éireann to advance the public interest.
    2. Members must conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions and spirit of the Code of Conduct and ensure that their conduct does not bring the integrity of their office or the Dáil into serious disrepute.
    3. (i) Members have a particular obligation to behave in a manner which is consistent with their roles as public representatives and legislators, save where there is a legitimate and sustainable conscientious objection.
    (ii) Members must interact with authorities involved with public administration and the enforcement of the law in a manner which is consistent with their roles as public representatives and legislators.
    4. (i) Members must base their conduct on a consideration of the public interest and are individually responsible for preventing conflicts of interest.

Yup, I think Ferris broke every one of those and I hope he will be held accountable for it.

This must be a wind up. Come on.

I can understand even some terrorist like Martin Ferris trying to excuse their actions or explain away their release, after all it is to be expected from the likes of him.

But even he doesn't go so far as to express glee over it. I have no doubt he is as happy as the day he laughed at the 'Orangies' 'squealing' as they burned at Le Mons, granted, but on interviews today he is being sombre. Perhaps, unlike this poster, he is at least pretending to respect the widow of the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 josofly

Did ye hear the reporter on the 1 o clock news describe how the van carrying Ferris and the 2 so and sos left the main road and parked under a railway bridge, allowing the 2 boys to get out and into a car parked the far side of the bridge . The van then continued to block the road stopping the reporters and Gardai from following the car

Real TV stuff alright. The guards should have had the helicopter there to follow them just out of spite.

Agree with earlier posters Ferris is not fit to occupy Dail Eireann and I am ashamed of being a citizen of the country that elects his ilk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

bmm wrote: »
    Unfortunately Det. Gerry McCabe's widow Anne will never be able to get on with her life.

She has more grace & honesty than any of those scumbags would ever have in a lifetime.
    She has already said upon their release "I can finally have closure now that justice has been served"
    Not even a hint of injustice in her words.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Or get back Aft69to ruining more people's lives

Even hardline Shinners must be mortified at Ferris.

Though bet none would say it to his face.

Wonder did he do this with the approval of the party, or is it so much in fear of his connections that he does what he likes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Even hardline Shinners must be mortified at Ferris.

Though bet none would say it to his face.

Wonder did he do this with the approval of the party, or is it so much in fear of his connections that he does what he likes now.

Why would they be? He is entitled to pick the men up and no one has any problem with it. They're are people making a football out of it. Pfft :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How the f**k could walking up to a Garda in Limerick with an AK47 and shooting him fall under the GFA? No-one has ever explained that one to me. Ever.

They're are people making a football out of it. Pfft :rolleyes:

There probably are. However people are equally entitled to express their distaste, and while I am annoyed that they "got away" with the manslaughter charge (and the fact that apparently the guys who actually pulled the trigger have never been caught or charged) I did say that they've done the time.

So what's most sickening to me is people saying that it's "excellent news", or Adams creating his very own "football" by trying to claim that they shouldn't have even served this long.

But having an elected representative being photographed with criminals in what has to be the loosest version of a "jail" I've ever heard of, and then calling to pick them up is also sickening.

SF should be distancing themselves from criminals if they want to be accepted; not emphasising the connections.

• Advertisement

He is entitled to pick the men up and no one has any problem with it. They're are people making a football out of it. Pfft :rolleyes:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You don;t seem to have thought of the obvious corollary. They can get released from prison and noone would have as big a problem with it. However, there are people like Martin Ferris making a football out of it. To appeal to those who vote terrorism and thuggery? To his colleagues on the IRA Army Council? To remind the other Shinners who his associates are and who has the muscle on his side? Pfft :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

One more reason why 'Themselves' will never get a vote from me.
    Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭donaghs

What do you reckon they have planned? A web 2.0 startup? A new innovation to pitch to dragons den? A new range of funky organic food products aimed at the new discerning consumer?

Lets have a look, Pearse McAuley: escaped from Brixton Prison, 1991. Shot dead garda and attempted murder of another during post office robbery in Limerick, 1996. Jailed 1999, released 2009. Wanted in Britain on charges of conspiring to murder former brewery chairman Sir Charles Tidbury and to cause explosions in Britain in November 1990. etc. Seems like a real gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

This must be a wind up. Come on.

Of course it isn't. The men were eligible prisoners for release under the terms of the GFA.
    But even he doesn't go so far as to express glee over it. I have no doubt he is as happy as the day he laughed at the 'Orangies' 'squealing' as they burned at Le Mons,

A bit of advice, don't accept everything written by a raging alcoholic from Kerry (who killed three people himself) as gospel.
    Perhaps, unlike this poster, he is at least pretending to respect the widow of the deceased.

I have every sympathy in the world for someone who lost a spouse, but to be honest there were 4,000 odd other families as well who had to see prisoners being released (or in the case of the Brits never even charged in the first place.)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Of course it isn't. The men were eligible prisoners for release under the terms of the GFA.
    I guess you'd know better than the Supreme Court.

Thanks to oscarbravo for quoting this post, because otherwise I'd have missed it after adding the person responsible for the earlier, sickening, "Excellent News" bull**** to the very useful "ignore list" here on boards.

That individual has now gone from cheering on criminals, to repeating the lie that they were eligible.

I know this is cross-posting, as I posted it in another thread related to this, but it needs to be said in order to counteract lies and propaganda.

I won't re-post the entire thing, but I'll re-issue the direct relevant quote from our Minister for Justice:
    If the prisoners had qualified under the terms of the Agreement, they would not still be in jail.

Oh yes, and because they were eligible for release from the penal system that makes everything fine? Next time a paedophile gets out you'll say 'folks, build a bridge and get over the buggering kids bit, he's done his time, leave him alone'?
    a raging alcoholic from Kerry

I wonder did he ever sit into his car after a visit to the pub?
    to be honest there were 4,000 odd other families as well who had to see prisoners being released

Your stats are, I suspect, completely wrong. I'm not sure that the perpetrator of every killing in the North over the past 40 years was still in prison. I understood that a few hundred, mostly Shinners/Ira, were released, though I completely accept some of them were mutliple murderers.

Either way, you might also clarify how many politicians in our Dail thought it was appropriate to meet and greet these killers on their release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

prinz wrote: »

Yup, I think Ferris broke every one of those and I hope he will be held accountable for it.

In North Kerry? You're joking. I mean the Ballyseedy massacre was only 86 years ago. You can't expect people in a peasant society like Tralee and its environs to move on that quickly.

Yeah, OK. I'm still bitter about Croker on Monday, but hey, that was only three days ago. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 waryeye

I wasn't in the least bit surprised to see Martin Ferris picking up the three released prisoners. What intrigues me is why the media photographers were thare at 6.45 in the morning to highlight the fact?

Another reason to rehash the killing of Gerry McCabe, show the photographs of the scene etc etc.
    Just another opportunist bashing of the wider Republican movement.

Anyone who bothers to investigate these matters knows IRA personnel were forbidden to kill Gardai or Irish defence force personnel.
    The killing was wrong and condemned by Sinn Fein. At the time and since then.

But Martin Ferris is a lifelong Republican who fought and served time for the things he believed in himself. That's why the good people of North Kerry see fit to return him to the Dail.
    They know he is a decent man. A man who stuck to his principles, come hell or high water.

A lot of you indignant contributors can't hide your loathing for those who put their lives at risk, and many who died, for what they believed in. Yet the majority of the Northern nationalists, the people who endured the conflict in the six counties vote for Sinn Fein.
    Fact.

Like they voted in Fermanagh/South Tyrone for Bobby Sands.
    It's easy for all you in comfortable perches to sit in judgement on the motivations of those involved in the Northern conflict.
    There were brave people on all sides of it. There's nothing simple about it.
    And it wasn't only Gerry McCabe who died for what he believed in.
    And as such, to magnify his death over any of the others in the way it has been hijaced by the media and their cohorts in the south is nauseating to me and many others.
    And opportunistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Mad Finn wrote: »
    In North Kerry? You're joking.

In the Dáil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement