Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling and MMA

Options
  • 18-03-2009 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

DETROIT, MI - Former UFC Heavyweight Champion, Tim Sylvia was involved in a fight at a bar in downtown Detroit Michigan with 7 foot, 320 pound WWE Superstar, Glen 'Kane' Jacobs (pictured above).

No details are currently being released on how the fight started. A witness says the two were arguing and Tim Sylvia instigated the fight. Jacobs quickly took Sylvia to the ground and repeatedly punched him in the face. The bartender along with a bystander helped pull Jacobs off Sylvia. Sylvia was said to have suffered a broken nose and a black eye.

The police were notified but since the fight was not prolonged and neither men wanted to press any charges, no arrests were made. Sylvia was driven by a friend who was with him to the hospital to treat the broken nose. Glen Jacobs left the scene with his wife shortly after.

More details to be released as they come in.
    http://ninjashoes.net/

I pray this is true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

"Hey Tim! Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"

"I can't. I'll get beaten up!"

Love it.

Tim Sylvia, worst heavyweight champion ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MMA career for Kane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

epic EPIC fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haha, brilliant. Kane definitely isn't the kind of guy you'd expect to get in a fight though, he's very politically minded. Especially if he was with his wife, I can hardly imagine him instigating the incident

Of all the wrestlers Tim could get into a fight with, he picks his counterpart :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dave Meltzer wrote this:
    When exactly was Kane last in Detroit? Royal Rumble weekend.

He was in Texas the entire weekend.

:(

Sorry lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

so it didnt actually happen??

look what it says at bottom of this LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Jacobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

LMAO. I wonder the fight was about. I met Kane in New York and he was such a nice bloke, very cool and had time for everybody. Must of been something touchy said to him.

Just seen the above :(

dancor wrote: »
    LMAO. I wonder the fight was about. I met Kane in New York and he was such a nice bloke, very cool and had time for everybody. Must of been something touchy said to him.

Just seen the above :(

Kane does have a mild shooting background but yeah he is a mellow guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

callaway92 wrote: »

Where exactly are we looking here?

So it's not true then?

Balls :(

:pac:

• Advertisement

So Pro Wrestling is a "martial art" now?

Ask Josh Barnett :pac:

rovert wrote: »

:confused:I'm pretty sure he trains kickboxing and catch wrestling as well?:D

That's a bold claim. That's like saying Sergei Kharitonov also plays the clarinet and so the clarinet is a superior martial art to BJJ or Muay-Thai because he KO'd Ninja.............:)

Better yet, ask Sakuraba, that's what he said when he won that UFC tournament

In all seriousness, in Japan pro wrestling is considered as legitimate a martial art as any and pro wrestlers are considered to be some of the toughest guys around. There's a big difference between their style of pro wrestling and the major style in North America today though

Much of what Josh Barnett does is what Billy Robinson used to do in pro wrestling matches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

That's a bold claim. That's like saying Sergei Kharitonov also plays the clarinet and so the clarinet is a superior martial art to BJJ or Muay-Thai because he KO'd Ninja.............:)

The confused smiley doesn't do me justice on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

come off it, there's no "superior" martial art. they're all looking at the same thing from diffirent perspectives, all trying to reach the same goals

come off it, there's no "superior" martial art. they're all looking at the same thing from diffirent perspectives, all trying to reach the same goals

It is a joke, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Remember when Sylvia broke his arm in a fight, and only the ref noticed and he wanted to continue?

Valmont wrote: »
    The confused smiley doesn't do me justice on this one.

Sergei Kharitonov is a classically trained clarinet player.

The difference being that MMA wasn't partly built on clarinet players :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

correct if it has rules its not a martial art

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The sad thing is that some people actually do believe that it is!! :o

MMA-Real

Pro Wrestling-I dont even need to say it, so wont.

Get a life and enjoy whatever ENTERTAINMENT you want.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    The sad thing is that some people actually do believe that it is!! :o

MMA-Real

Pro Wrestling-I dont even need to say it, so wont.

Get a life and enjoy whatever ENTERTAINMENT you want.

Erm there has been fixed fights in MMA and Pro Wrestling came out of early forms of "MMA" exhibitions from early last century. The two forms of entertainment are more closely related than most people would like to accept. Especially in Japan as Fozzy said.

Erm there has been fixed fights in MMA and Pro Wrestling came out of early forms of "MMA" exhibitions from early last century. The two forms of entertainment are more closely related than most people would like to accept. Especially in Japan as Fozzy said.

Fixed fights , is not the same as actors prancing about and following a script, pretending to be fighters. and i never hear of fixed mma matches anyway.

Yeah you stick to that story!!

I'll stick to mine, the only relation is that they both attract some of the weird WWE fans, who have yet to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

It sounds like cowzer queued up for hours to meet his favourite wrestler and the guy was a dick to him and since then he's held a grudge at the whole profession. I'd rather watch WWE than Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

and i never hear of fixed mma matches anyway.

Some early Pride fights were apparently fixed

Fixed fights , is not the same as actors prancing about and following a script, pretending to be fighters. and i never hear of fixed mma matches anyway.

I'll stick to mine, the only relation is that they both attract some of the weird WWE fans, who have yet to grow up.

You obviously aren't too informed on Japanese pro wrestling or pre-70s pro wrestling. MMA in Japan comes pretty much directly from pro wrestling. A lot of pro wrestling matches from 80/90 years ago were what we'd call MMA

There's more to pro wrestling than the bad actors of WWE :pac:

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Some early Pride fights were apparently fixed

Mark Coleman vs Nobuhiko Takada being the most famous, and obvious.

Takada, the pro wrestler, needed a win because the promotion was built on him as the top star originally. When he wasn't winning, interest fell

And just out of interest, the next top star who PRIDE revolved around was another pro wrestler, Sakuraba

It sounds like cowzer queued up for hours to meet his favourite wrestler and the guy was a dick to him and since then he's held a grudge at the whole profession. I'd rather watch WWE than Fair City.

I used to love the ultimate warrior, but i was about 10!

i dont mind Pro wrestling but its just like Fair city as you compare, some people dont seem to realise this!

Oh and MMA in japan coming from Pro wrestling??

if thats true all that proves is they said 1 day, lets make this "REAL" as the pro wrestling is acting, otherwise the pro wrestling would be MMA.

• Advertisement

Oh and MMA in japan coming from Pro wrestling??

if thats true all that proves is they said 1 day, lets make this "REAL" as the pro wrestling is acting, otherwise the pro wrestling would be MMA.

UWF, UWFi, Pancrase, RINGS, it doesn't mean anything to you, does it? :pac: There's no disputing that MMA came from pro wrestling in Japan

It came about because the pro wrestlers could fight for real and some of them wanted to set themselves apart from the competition. I don't think the idea of "acting" came into it at all, as they'd still do pro wrestling afterwards. You'd be surprised at how many MMA fighters have done pro wrestling, or even just fought on a pro wrestling show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement