Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

You're not actually serious are you? :eek:

Sounds a bit ****t awright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

You're not actually serious are you? :eek:

I wish I wasn't... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

mssin80 wrote: »
    I work in a beauty salon,the wages are disgraceful but we make it up with the tips we get during the week.some people are more generous then others but one of the girls recently received a tip of...a really old english penny that looked like it had been up someones arse for a month,the metal back off a watch and a button :mad:

me thinks shes getting her eyebrow waxed off next time:D

Surely you're getting at least minimum wage? You might think it's stingy but I hate when hairdressers/beauty salon workers assume they have a right to a tip. Same as in a restaurant, if I get good, cheerful service, get the haircut/treatment I want done correctly then I'll tip. I won't give an extra fiver/tenner just because it's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

...womens razor blades...are cheaper than mens.
    Really? Hmmmm...*strokes beard*

Apparently not! : http://www.saveafewbob.ie/women-charged-more...
    This came up in my facebook feed this morning and I was a little freaked out, having posted on the topic on boards.ie just hours before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

nibtrix wrote: »
    Same as in a restaurant, if I get good, cheerful service, get the haircut/treatment I want done correctly then I'll tip. I won't give an extra fiver/tenner just because it's expected.

+1

I hate the sense of entitlement that exists throughout the "service" industry in Ireland. I was eating in an Italian restaurant in Temple bar last year and the stroppy/moody/bad mannered waitress somehow managed to pour my girlfriend's unfinished soup into her handbag as she was holding the dish while clearing the table. Later she was muttering under her breath and throwing dirty looks when I didn't tip her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I don't tip because society says I have to.

If someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra.

But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds.

As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

OutlawPete wrote: »

If someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra.

Good work Outlaw Pete Mr. Pink! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

OutlawPete wrote: »

Outlaw pete is so stingy he refuses to quote other movies :)

this thread is so mega that this is the second time you have quoted mr. pink in it when speaking about tipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Bob Z wrote: »
    Its you isnt it?

joking:D

No but within the first few lines I thought 'sounds like X a guy I know' then the more stories he told the more he sounded like him and there were a few anecdotes that make me think 'yeah that's definately him.' Stingyness and all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Truley wrote: »
    No but within the first few lines I thought 'sounds like X a guy I know' then the more stories he told the more he sounded like him and there were a few anecdotes that make me think 'yeah that's definately him.' Stingyness and all :eek:

Tell us some of these stories of frugal extremism.....unless your too stingy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Surely you're getting at least minimum wage? You might think it's stingy but I hate when hairdressers/beauty salon workers assume they have a right to a tip. Same as in a restaurant, if I get good, cheerful service, get the haircut/treatment I want done correctly then I'll tip. I won't give an extra fiver/tenner just because it's expected.

Eh, why would you ever tip your hair dresser?

My barber gets a tip once a year, double pay at Christmas, That's 20 euro for a haircut, I think that's plenty, especially since he is already being paid for his service, which he does excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Got one for you.
    Youth club I take part in decides to raise money for charity and first thing we think of is "Bake Sale". We head to the local church and set up in the community center with some home-made cakes and a TONNE of bread. 50 cent for a giant loaf of bread, 20 cent cakes etc.

This woman comes in and loads her bag up with bread and cakes for her daughter. Person goes "that's 3 euro" and she says "oh no no no I don't have it." She gives in a euro and the guy doesn't know what to do so he just nods and she leaves.

A few seconds later she's back and gets another 6 or 7 loaves of bread and when we tell her the price she says "no no I have none" and leaves without paying!

And this was for charity, like!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I was on a sports trip back in 2004. I wont mention which one, but there were 45 of us.

We were invited to attend a dinner/gathering at a plush house on fancy grounds etc... the only thing we had to put our hands in our pockets for was the alcohol after the meal. The majority of us were 18-32 years old and then the elders on our trip were 40-65. On of the elders was the dad of one of the players.

He was caught picking up empty bottles of beer and pooring them into his glass. Initially we thought they were his own empties, but then we deliberatly moved away from the area where we were leaving behind several empty and half empty bottles and sure enough the dad was over on the QT emptying all the bottles into his glass.

For the rest of the 2-3 weeks we were on tour this scinario continued each night. He thought he was getting away with it, we also noticed him packing a plactic bag every morning at breakfast in the hotel and he would use this as his food for the rest of the day.

Never bought a round, never bought lunch/dinner (unless complimentary if you know what i mean). By the end of the tour he was hated.

I hate stingy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Apparently not! : http://www.saveafewbob.ie/women-charged-more...
    This came up in my facebook feed this morning and I was a little freaked out, having posted on the topic on boards.ie just hours before.

They definitely aren't cheaper than mens. The exact same razors (I mean the exact brand and type) are sold to women as to men except that the women's ones are all pastel and girly and they most certainly more expensive. I always buy the men's versions, what difference does it make if it does the same job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Got one for you.
    Youth club I take part in decides to raise money for charity and first thing we think of is "Bake Sale". We head to the local church and set up in the community center with some home-made cakes and a TONNE of bread. 50 cent for a giant loaf of bread, 20 cent cakes etc.

This woman comes in and loads her bag up with bread and cakes for her daughter. Person goes "that's 3 euro" and she says "oh no no no I don't have it." She gives in a euro and the guy doesn't know what to do so he just nods and she leaves.

A few seconds later she's back and gets another 6 or 7 loaves of bread and when we tell her the price she says "no no I have none" and leaves without paying!

And this was for charity, like!

Why was she let leave? What a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Eh, why would you ever tip your hair dresser?

My barber gets a tip once a year, double pay at Christmas, That's 20 euro for a haircut, I think that's plenty, especially since he is already being paid for his service, which he does excellently.

Women.....Go to hairdresser, cost of cut and full colour is anything form 100-180 then a tip of 10-30. The gas thing is the hairdresser will more or less have the hand out - thats how often they get tipped.

Barbers - you are in an out in no time so no need to tip but I usually give 1-4e depending on how nice the barber was and how good my new hairdo is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

potsy11 wrote: »
    Women.....Go to hairdresser, cost of cut and full colour is anything form 100-180 then a tip of 10-30. The gas thing is the hairdresser will more or less have the hand out - thats how often they get tipped.

Mine never get tipped by me. I'm back there every 6 weeks and paying 50-55 euro is enough, I expect them to do their job well for that cost.
    They can go whistle for a tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I dislike the way the barbers always have the price set at a figure so that its easier to just round up and give the tip, or worse still when they don't even offer you the change, they already decided you have given the tip.

Assumed tips piss me off, if the service is good, maybe or into the hand of the staff that was worthy of it, but if its just going to the owner then they should just be happy they have my custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

seven-iron wrote: »
    I borrow the loo-roll out of the gym cause its cheaper than what they sell in super-value. Hurts the ring though if you rub too hard too often. My mate says I have piles because of it, so i suppose thats karma:mad:

U borrow? what like u bring it back all used up and stinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nadurlann

After the usual volley of rounds of guinness on a Sunday match day Dublin V
    one of the lads bought a round of Beamish masquerading as Guinness, shamefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mssin80

not exactly,some places pay less than minimum wage cos they know that their staff will make up the rest from tips.but,whatever helps u sleep at night i guess.....

ur hairdresser probably curses u as ur walking out the door:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

not exactly,some places pay less than minimum wage cos they know that their staff will make up the rest from tips.but,whatever helps u sleep at night i guess.....

Well, that's illegal then. There's a reason why it's called the minimum wage. If the staff are over 18 and have been working for a certain length of time (is it 1 year, maybe? I can't remember.)

Why should customers make up for employers not obeying the law? I usually do tip in hairdressers and beauty salons (in Ireland) if they do a good job, btw but why should we be expected to?

In New Zealand nobody tips and it's never expected. It means you never have to think about whether you need to tip or not, it's great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Are you thinking of the USA? I think that is the case in some places there because tips are pretty much expected

According to Citizen's Information:
    What does not count as pay?

There are a number of items that are not to be included in the minimum wage calculation, these are:

- Tips which are placed in a central fund managed by the employer and paid as part of your wages

As for stinginess stories... One time when I was in town with a group of friends, we decided to go for pizza. One of my friends ordered her own individual pizza instead of sharing a bigger pizza with other people, which is fine. However, she couldn't finish her pizza, and there was a slice and a half left (out of eight slices). She asked if anyone else wanted to finish it, since she was full. Another friend obliged and ate a slice and a half of her pizza.
    When we got the bill, we were dividing it up by what we had ordered, and since some people had shared pizzas they would split the cost of them. However, the friend who had the individual pizza decided that since our other friend had eaten a slice and a half of hers, that the other friend should have to pay for 19% of her pizza's price.
    It would be different if they had actually been sharing the pizza in the first place, but she had finished with it anyway and the leftovers would have gone in the bin and she had offered it around... Incidentally, the other friend basically told her to feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Me or the missus never charge our phones at home, we bought the same phones so I can take the battery out of the one that needs charging and recharge them at work. That my friends is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Me or the missus never charge our phones at home, we bought the same phones so I can take the battery out of the one that needs charging and recharge them at work. That my friends is thinking.

That's just scabby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feck you anyway, I wont sleep much tonight now from laughing too hard!!!!!! The irony on a stinginess thread!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

*slow hand clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

How much would it cost to charge your phone though? Like 5c?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

use a tea bag three times they even have a plate next to the kettle to keep it there shudder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

this has probably been said somewhere in the thread but anyway

one place i worked in i told everyone i was going over to the shop across the way to get a sambo and a coffee and did anyone want anything? a few people asked to get them the same and one girl asked me to get her a cappuccino, the cappuccino was something like 1.99 or 1.98 and she'd given me 2 euro, she actually wanted the 1 cent back because she was saving up!!:eek: she was furious when she found out i gave it to the charity box thing at the till, i mean cop on 1 cent isnt gonna do much saving

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement