Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next generation "NCF" Mobile phones will eliminate global cash.

Options
  • 04-11-2008 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

We should be concerned about the next generation "NFC phones" that will soon appear on our shelves

These phones act as "electronic purses" and can bridge the gap of person to person cashless payments that was deemed impossible just few years ago.

They operate on 13.65MHZ and can also carry out all smart card transactions.

NCF will be marketed as a great convenience tool.

They will be desired more than any previous mobile phone that ever existed and will be heavily subsidised by governments and the banking sector.

Expect the next generation of Apple IPhone to be NCF compatible.

No more rooting for change, your very personnel hand held ATM machine, no need to go to the hole in the wall. Of course it will be loaded with the latest games and gizmo's, TV, videos, MP3s, 10MP zoom camera, massive SSD hdd, touch screen etc

The electronic GSM purse will also eliminate drug dealing, cash robberies, terrorism. ticket touting, the black economy and all other cash related crimes. One reason why the home office wants all phones registered.

The downside of using this NCF GSM personal electronic purse is.

Every single consumer item that you purchase will be E_tagged and will be recorded in a database at POS (point of sale) .

Even the smallest person to person dealings will be logged and recorded on a data base.

The exact location of the purchase transaction is logged and pinpointed to within yards on planet earth by GSM tracking

These phones will usher in the death knell for the freedom of cash as we know it . and will pave the way for the "666" global cashless system of the NWO

http://europe.nokia.com/A4307097

http://www.insideid.com/ecommerce/article.php/3409011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hehe I had this exact same idea 6 months ago in a pub when I found I was short of cash. Wouldn't terrorists just revert to clandestine physical transfers of cash? I guess bank robberies would go digital, but the elimination of the weapons variety would be welcome no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hehe I had this exact same idea 6 months ago in a pub when I found I was short of cash. Wouldn't terrorists just revert to clandestine physical transfers of cash? I guess bank robberies would go digital, but the elimination of the weapons variety would be welcome no?
    Mobile phone companies have been "lending cash" for several years through top up credit in advance of payment. It was only a matter of time that they would team up with the financial institutes and come up this.

When a system like this if it is fully implemented I'm sure every phone would be registered. Any criminal trying to mess with the system could be easily tracked and be totally isolated from society until such times as they submitted themselves to the authorities.

I presume the same device could incorporate driving license and transit smart card firmware etc so they would basically be fu***ed without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭rexusdiablos

Great post Hills :)

Certain technological endeavours are passed off as 'convenient' and 'innovative' when they're actually far from being benign.

I believe 'control', 'administration', 'restriction' and 'surveillance' are more appropriate buzz-words.

In a world where intrinsic freedom seems to be becoming a distant whisper of the past illegally reverting to barter is the only viable option should anyone wish not to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

In fairness though, its highly unlikely the iPhone will bring this technology to market, lets not forget thats a phone that started its existance without 3G capabilities and unable to even take videos....not exactly a technology leader :D

In fairness though, its highly unlikely the iPhone will bring this technology to market, lets not forget thats a phone that started its existence without 3G capabilities and unable to even take videos....not exactly a technology leader :D
    They will improve, My Nokia N95 takes awesome snap shots that would be far superior to any Kodak Ektra camera of the 1980ies. I wouldnt use a mobile for movie shots as yet but still they cannot be too far behind some of the 8MM stuff.

Remember a Mobile phone was originally intented to be a communications device. They are now taking over snapshot camera manufacturers. (Koinica have ceased manufacturing cameras several years ago, Kodak and Polaroid are history). A 3G phone will post coordinates details of where you took the snapshot if you post the pictures on Flicker. It will also give the make of the device.

They are now successfully attacking the music medium, ie MP3 players, portable game consuls etc and unless the manufacturers of these devices such as Sony or Philip's did not team up or get on the bandwagon they would be finished.

The next plan of attack with the mobile phones will be banking and as mentionted we will not need to go near the hole in the wall or enter a bank again unless its for a personal loan inquiry or to sort out an account. The financial companies would buy this because it will eliminate skimming and chip & pin fraud.

The Mobile phone has become such a part of life, from listening to music, games etc. My niece used to have all these seperate entertainment devices, Ie latest IPods and Nintendo Ds etc, now she just carries a 3G mobile phone with a large screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The downside of using this NCF GSM personal electronic purse is.

Every single consumer item that you purchase will be E_tagged and will be recorded in a database at POS (point of sale) .
    So no different to using plastic then? And if I don't want the transactions linked to me in any traceable way, I can use cash, just like today.
    Even the smallest person to person dealings will be logged and recorded on a data base.
    So its not person-to-person then, but rather person to middle-man to person? Bit like me telling my bank to lodge money to a mate's account (which I can do from my phone) and which my mate can then spend, using plastic.

And for transactions I don't want tracked? I'll use cash....just like I'd do today.
    The exact location of the purchase transaction is logged and pinpointed to within yards on planet earth by GSM tracking
    So no different to plastic then...except that its adding layers of redundant technology.
    I mean...today, you'll be paying for stuff in a shop where the cash-register can be identified. If you pay with plastic, you can be identified. So the time, location, and identity are all known and stored.

The new system offers.....time, location, and identity. Fantastic. Vast improvement. And for those who don't want to be tracked? They do what people who don't want to be tracked do today...use cash.
    These phones will usher in the death knell for the freedom of cash as we know it .
    Why? They offer nothing that a plastic card doesn't offer today, and plastic cards today haven't spelled the death knell for "the freedom of cash".

bonkey wrote: »
    So no different to using plastic then? ".
    Plastic has its limitations ie not everyone carries around an ATM or a chip and pin device.
    And if I don't want the transactions linked to me in any traceable way, I can use cash, just like today.
    According to the book of revelation cash will disappear IE. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark" A time will come when you will not have an option but to go cashless. I don't believe in putting dates on Biblical prophecy but the technology is here today that was not available ten years ago for such to happen.
    So its not person-to-person then, but rather person to middle-man to person? Bit like me telling my bank to lodge money to a mate's account (which I can do from my phone) and which my mate can then spend, using plastic. .
    As with any plastic transaction this will also involve a third party with each purchase the only difference is that it will patch many of the holes that were left unfilled using plastic to make the possibility now having a 100% cashless becoming a reality.
    And for transactions I don't want tracked? I'll use cash....just like I'd do today..
    You may not have an option in the near future as the trend in todays society particularly in movement is going down the road of traceable smartcards and Etags. 80% of Londoners are using Oystercard, try crossing the Westlink Toll Plaza today with a ball of cash :rolleyes:
    So no different to plastic then...except that its adding layers of redundant technology.
    I mean...today, you'll be paying for stuff in a shop where the cash-register can be identified. If you pay with plastic, you can be identified. So the time, location, and identity are all known and stored.

The new system offers.....time, location, and identity. Fantastic. Vast improvement. And for those who don't want to be tracked? They do what people who don't want to be tracked do today...use cash.

Why? They offer nothing that a plastic card doesn't offer today, and plastic cards today haven't spelled the death knell for "the freedom of cash".
    I already stated my case. Cards do not offer the flexibility to make personal one to one transactions. They cannot be topped op or "charged" without calling into a top up station, ATM or going on line. NCF phones offers you the total flexibility as one would have with cash transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

According to the book of revelation cash will disappear IE. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark" A time will come when you will not have an option but to go cashless.

Oh my

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Isn't this already being done?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10074366-94.html

although I feel that security can be an issue as a phone can be stolen, and adding a pin in a way defeats the purpose.

• Advertisement

Plastic has its limitations ie not everyone carries around an ATM or a chip and pin device.

Phones also have their limitations, i.e. not everyone has one, nor does everywhere have reception.
    According to the book of revelation cash will disappear IE. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark"
    That doesn't say that cash will disappear. It says that "the mark" will be needed to carry out commerce. Even if you subscribe to the literal truth of the bible (in which case I'm surprised you don't raise an outcry against the blatantly anti-Christian Zeitgeist content), there are no end of interpretations which would allow for cash-based commerce carried out by those with "the mark".
    As with any plastic transaction this will also involve a third party with each purchase
    Exactly. As with any plastic transaction. What is it not like? Thats right...cash, which doesn't involve a third party. What can it therefore not replace? Again, cash, because it doesn't offer the same possibilities.
    try crossing the Westlink Toll Plaza today with a ball of cash :rolleyes:
    Go into shop. Pay in cash for a car with a certain registration to be allowed to cross the Westlink.

Done.

Not too ****ing hard...certainly not worth rolling eyes.

(Additional note for those who can't think laterally....it doesn't have to be your car, or indeed a car that is in any way directly traceable to you.)

Alternately....here's a radical idea....choose not to take that route at all....just like you can choose not to use traceable payment methods.
    I already stated my case.
    Yes...a case thats full of holes you're apparently not interested in addressing.
    Cards do not offer the flexibility to make personal one to one transactions.
    Nor do these phones...they offer the flexibility to make transactions via a middleman less effort.

Cash is still the only way to make personal one-to-one transactions.
    They cannot be topped op or "charged" without calling into a top up station, ATM or going on line.
    Nor can cash be "topped up" or "charged" without doing similar.

On the other hand, my debit card doesn't need topping up.

So I have a choice...I can have (a degree of) anonymity as long as I'm willing to use a dispenser, or I can have traceability to get rid of it. This phone doesn't change those options.
    NCF phones offers you the total flexibility as one would have with cash transactions.
    It offers more flexibility, for a cost. It does not offer total flexibility. If I'm willing to pay the cost, I get the flexibility it offers. If I'm not willing to pay the cost, I choose some other option and don't get the flexibility. This makes it no different to any other option out there.

Mondex wallets. A start?
    Cards do not offer the flexibility to make personal one to one transactions.
    Nor do these phones...they offer the flexibility to make transactions via a middleman less effort.

http://www.mondex.com/faq.html#7

Q. What is a Mondex wallet?
    A. A Mondex wallet is a pocket-sized device with one or two card readers and its own electronic purse, a keyboard, and a screen. Wallets can transfer value to and from Mondex electronic cash smart cards, allowing you to make person-to-person payments without handling cash.

Phones also have their limitations, i.e. not everyone has one, nor does everywhere have reception.
    Reception is improving every year. I was in Egypt a few years back and I was very surprised on the mobile coverage and the amount of phone shops. Having a mobile was a status symbol, this can also be repeated in India and China.

Even if phone is out of reception area I am sure cash personal cash transactions through its built in 13.56 MHZ reader, It operates RFID similarly to bluetooth. It can then relay the transaction and debit the amount when it reaches coverage. There will always be blackspots no matter what, ie Tube stations, Hospitals and on Aircraft (May will soon change).
    That doesn't say that cash will disappear. It says that "the mark" will be needed to carry out commerce. Even if you subscribe to the literal truth of the bible (in which case I'm surprised you don't raise an outcry against the blatantly anti-Christian Zeitgeist content), there are no end of interpretations which would allow for cash-based commerce carried out by those with "the mark"..
    It says you "cannot buy or sell unless you have the mark" This would imply that there is no other way of carrying out any commercial transactions other than having the mark thus ruling out cash or other forms of commercial activity. If one dose not conform the system they are in great danger of being isolated completly from society.
    Exactly. As with any plastic transaction. What is it not like? Thats right...cash, which doesn't involve a third party. What can it therefore not replace? Again, cash, because it doesn't offer the same possibilities.

Go into shop. Pay in cash for a car with a certain registration to be allowed to cross the Westlink. Done, You are still not getting away from the traceable option, Additional note for those who can't think laterally....it doesn't have to be your car, or indeed a car that is in any way directly traceable to you. ."..
    It still gets tracked and unless it is stolen the registered owner is accountable for all its movements.
    Alternately....here's a radical idea....choose not to take that route at all....just like you can choose not to use traceable payment methods.
    Yes...a case thats full of holes you're apparently not interested in addressing.
    ."..
    For how long can you choose to make non traceable payments?
    Mate, your days are numbered. To day you are "penalized" for not conforming to the way the system wants you to go by. Using the Westlink you are "fined" 50c for not going Etag. In London it can be up to 40% extra on the fare on the Tube or Bus. These are carrots offered to the sheeple to submit to the cashless system. As soon as they reach their target they will cut off all cash alternatives.

I would give it two or three years time and you will not be able to board a TFL Tube train without a registered Oystercard. If you are not a London resident you will need positive identification to purchase a smart card.

Nor can cash be "topped up" or "charged" without doing similar.

On the other hand, my debit card doesn't need topping up.

So I have a choice...I can have (a degree of) anonymity as long as I'm willing to use a dispenser, or I can have traceability to get rid of it. This phone doesn't change those options.
    Those phones are in their infancy, they haven't even reached the shelves in the States and probably won't until mid 2009 and in Europe towards the end of the year. There is bound to be teething problems and limitations with them.
    It offers more flexibility, for a cost. It does not offer total flexibility. If I'm willing to pay the cost, I get the flexibility it offers. If I'm not willing to pay the cost, I choose some other option and don't get the flexibility. This makes it no different to any other option out there.
    To summaries, It is going to get more "expensive" and more "inconvenient" to use cash than to take the freedom option until such time as you submit to the way that the system wants you to go.
    DubTony wrote: »
    Mondex wallets. A start?
    http://www.mondex.com/faq.html#7
    Mondex is a flop on its own, it needs a "piggyback". It was tried in Ennis in 1998 with the Information Age project using Visacash and fell flat on its face.

The only way people will accept cashless as an option would be if it is sneaked in as a Trojan through the back door using a transit smart card or Mobile phone. Mobile phones more so because people are so intrigued by these gadgets and will want the latest, The hype with the IPhone can testify to this.

Mondex wallets. A start?

Fair point...I completely forgot about them. Its somewhat ironic that I did, considering that I have a CASH card in my wallet, which is a more-or-less identical system to Mondex that we've had here in Switzerland for years (although without the "wallet" option, as far as I know).
    Mondex is a flop on its own, it needs a "piggyback". It was tried in Ennis in 1998 with the Information Age project using Visacash and fell flat on its face.
    Yeah...it was a flop...for two reasons.

1) It wasn't accepted in enough places, despite what the claims beforehand said. Therefore, it couldn't replace cash, because you still needed to carry cash for places that didn't take it. Those places that did take it also took cash. So given that people were carrying cash anyway.....

2) People asked "what does it give me that cash doesn't". About the only thing it gave them was that it was only a credit-card sized piece of plastic. On the other hand, it had several drawbacks:
    - if they wanted to be able to give their friend 20p, needed more than just the card.
    - if they wanted to see how much they had in their "pocket", the needed more than just the card.
    - if the chip got damaged, they lost everything on it.

My family live in Ennis. I heard no end of stories of this person or that person losing X amount of money because their card failed. Although its possible to tear a bank-note...you can just go to the bank and they'll replace it for you. Whether accurate or not, the perception was that people lost money more readily on these cards than carrying it as cash.

But here's the thing...you readily accept that Mondex was a failure...but apparently think that the world is going to embrace some equivalent to the extent that cash will disappear...without making it clear why.

It says you "cannot buy or sell unless you have the mark" This would imply that there is no other way of carrying out any commercial transactions other than having the mark thus ruling out cash or other forms of commercial activity.
    Let me try this again...

You have the mark and a wad of cash.
    I have the mark and something you wish to buy.

You buy something from me, handing over a wad of cash.

This is 100% in compliance with your biblical prediction and is an entirely-cash-based transaction.
    It still gets tracked and unless it is stolen the registered owner is accountable for all its movements.
    For how long can you choose to make non traceable payments?
    You asked me to go over the Westlink Toll today, using cash. Neither of these comments are relevant to my answer. The first has nothing to do with how I paid to go over the Westlink Toll (and becomes irrelevant if I'm not on a toll road).

The second has nothing to do with how I can pay today (which is what you asked).

Sure...if you want to argue that "try paying cash when you can't pay in cash any more", then it'll be impossible. Yes, it will be. The question we're discussing is whether or not this situation will arise, and if so when.

It seems that you're assuming that its going to come, and come soon, in order to help your claim that its going to come and come soon. That's hardly convincing logic.
    Mate, your days are numbered.
    Yes, yes. Again...that's what we're discussing. I know you believe this. I don't need you to repeat it ad nauseum as though it makes your case stronger.
    To day you are "penalized" for not conforming to the way the system wants you to go by.
    Alternately, you can be seen as being rewarded for conforming to options that are cheaper to run. People on the cheap options are those who've signed up to the systems that require the least costs to run. Now, you can argue that the additional cost isn't as high as is being passed on, and I'd agree....I think its a rip-off....but I still think its a trade-off of cost over convenience.

Buy a monthly bus-pass, and its cheaper than a month's worth of dailies. Does that mean that you're penalised for buying daily bus passes?

Oh, and you still don't have to go over the Westlink. Go around it, if you care that much.
    As soon as they reach their target they will cut off all cash alternatives.
    Speculation. Show me where its been done before?
    I would give it two or three years time and you will not be able to board a TFL Tube train without a registered Oystercard. If you are not a London resident you will need positive identification to purchase a smart card.
    Well, I'll tell you what....why don't we come back to this thread in two or three years time and see just how right or wrong you were?

People have been predicting the end of freedom....pretty much since they came up with the concept of freedom.
    Those phones are in their infancy, they haven't even reached the shelves in the States and probably won't until mid 2009 and in Europe towards the end of the year. There is bound to be teething problems and limitations with them.
    Careful now...almost sounds like you're offering reasons why the system can fail utterly without you actually being wrong.

Let me try this again...

You have the mark and a wad of cash.
    I have the mark and something you wish to buy.

You buy something from me, handing over a wad of cash.

This is 100% in compliance with your biblical prediction and is an entirely-cash-based transaction.
    Cash may no longer be legal tender and accepted. Try going into a supermarket with a ball of old Irish change or to pay for fags in a machine with the same. Likewise the Euro as we know it today will be phased out in time as we change over to the 100% EFT system. What good is it paying cash to someone when it purchasing power is not worth a f**k.? Anyone who lived in pre war Germany could tell you.

You asked me to go over the Westlink Toll today, using cash. Neither of these comments are relevant to my answer. The first has nothing to do with how I paid to go over the Westlink Toll (and becomes irrelevant if I'm not on a toll road).
    It has because westlink is now 100% cashless if you opt to pass it and it is relevant to the subject.
    The second has nothing to do with how I can pay today (which is what you asked).
    This whole thread topic is about the move away from cash and I couldn't give a damn if you want to hold on to the cash option today, of course you can use cash up until the point until it ceases to become legal tender.
    Alternately, you can be seen as being rewarded for conforming to options that are cheaper to run. People on the cheap options are those who've signed up to the systems that require the least costs to run. Now, you can argue that the additional cost isn't as high as is being passed on, and I'd agree....I think its a rip-off....but I still think its a trade-off of cost over convenience.
    They are selling this cashless option at a reduced rate because of its convenience. Even the ANPR option is a disaster and only a temporary measure until everyone gets ETagged. The UK will be changing the London congestion charge over from analogue to RFID as from 2010 in a 34 million pound upgrade. http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39123236,00.htm
    Buy a monthly bus-pass, and its cheaper than a month's worth of dailies. Does that mean that you're penalized for buying daily bus passes?
    The example I gave was for the TFL where the smart card option was 40% cheaper than the cash option and it is working well as over 80% of of London commuters have now forfeited the former cash option.
    Oh, and you still don't have to go over the Westlink. Go around it, if you care that much.
    There are a lot of people that would avoid the westlink including those whose motor tax has expired along with criminals, joyriders and illegal immigrants.:rolleyes:

This thread is miles off topic. It is about NFC Cell phones and its future in global financial transactions.

You'd have to be bonkers ;) to believe that cash will be around for ever as a means of carrying out transactions. It is really the last real "flaw" in the monetary system; simply because the banks make no money from cash transactions that take place outside a bank branch or ATM. Every electronic transaction that takes place incurs some sort of charge. Whether it's a shop paying 19c per laser transaction, or the charge for each direct debit. (By the way, when a retailer gives you cashback on Laser and it's recorded on your receipt he is charged again for the privilege of saving the banks time and effort. Sweet.)

Cheques are as good as gone. In my business, only a very few suppliers (small guys) will accept a cheque. Big companies will not open accounts without direct debits as it gives them the control required to ensure they are paid on time. (Barring bounces of course)

The elimination of cash will benefit the banks enormously. They can get rid of all those pesky tellers, and close bank branches. Inspections of their activities will be done on computer (maybe even by a computer). The risk of losing massive amounts in robberies will be gone and ensure that their stake in the insurance company they partly own is safer.

There are too many "normal business reasons" to eliminate cash for it to be with us forever. And looking at the influence the banks have over politicians it's quite obvious that it will happen. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will happen. Now, the only question is how do we transact electronically all the time?

You'd have to be bonkers ;) to believe that cash will be around for ever as a means of carrying out transactions. It is really the last real "flaw" in the monetary system; simply because the banks make no money from cash transactions that take place outside a bank branch or ATM.
    Not just the banks, It would be in the interest of the revenue commissioners to rid society of cash. Eliminate cash and they can account where every single penny is sourced and spent. How much you are earning in the week and exactly how much you are spending. Your "little sideline" and "tips" will ring alarm bells. :eek:

"If there's just one card...it will be issued by the Government!" Business Week April 18th 1977".

Thirty years after this statement the global banks are becoming nationalized and the above statement could well become a reality :eek:

Cash may no longer be legal tender and accepted.
    Correct. Cash may be no longer be legal tender. Equally, cash may be legal tender. It can work either way. Thus - as I said - even if you ascribe to biblical prophecy, this passage does not require the end of cash in commercial transactions.
    It has because westlink is now 100% cashless if you opt to pass it and it is relevant to the subject.
    You can pay for your passage in cash, as I've already explained. If your definition of "cashless" includes "you can pay for your passage in cash", then thats fine.

I can't buy a bus-ticket by any means whatsoever on buses in Switzerland. I must do so before I'm on the bus. By your reasoning, this makes them cashless, even though I can buy my ticket by walking up to a machine, and feeding it coins.

Such a definition is worthless.
    This whole thread topic is about the move away from cash
    The thread seems to be about your claims for the elimination of cash, not the move away from it. I've never questioned that cash is less used...I've questioned the predictions of its demise.
    and I couldn't give a damn if you want to hold on to the cash option today,
    YOu call people sheeple for moving away from cash, but couldn't care a damn when someone wants to hold on to it.

So you want them to be sheeple? Or you just don't care either way, which is why you started a thread warning us all of what you see as a complete non-event?

You seem to be getting very worked up about being told that your fears aren't going to be realised....
    of course you can use cash up until the point until it ceases to become legal tender.
    And you've given no reason to believe that it will stop being legal tender. We agree that some people will move away from it for some stuff...and we apparently agree on the reasons why cash is good to have around. YOu just seem to have some empty insistence that sooner or later, for no apparent cause, these reasons will disappear.
    This thread is miles off topic. It is about NFC Cell phones and its future in global financial transactions.
    Oh, I thought it was about how these phones will eliminate cash, like it says in the topic.

They won't.

And for the record...NFC is only a communications standard. It can be used for all sorts of stuff. Want an easy way to pair two bluetooth devices which have NFC capability? Touch them off each other, hit accept, done. Its possibilities in advertising are also huge...give customers a "token" from an NFC-enabled poster, which they can then use in the shop. Electronic business cards, and hence all manner of social networking possibilities? There are a myriad of reasons why having NFC in a phone is a good thing. As for using it for commercial activity...that's certainly one of them, which they think they see a market for...but that's about as far as it goes.

Correct. Cash may be no longer be legal tender. Equally, cash may be legal tender. It can work either way. Thus - as I said - even if you ascribe to biblical prophecy, this passage does not require the end of cash in commercial transactions.
    :rolleyes:
    I can't buy a bus-ticket by any means whatsoever on buses in Switzerland. I must do so before I'm on the bus. By your reasoning, this makes them cashless, even though I can buy my ticket by walking up to a machine, and feeding it coins...
    If they are a prepaid ticket that can be used for multiple journeys they are a cashless whether you paid for them by coins or credit card just like writing a cheque, carrying plastic, the EFT, smartcards and any other form of cashless transaction that has come about since 1951 when it all started. As long as cash is available you will be topping up your cashless cards, paying off cashless credit card bills, buying cashless transit smartcards.
    Such a definition is worthless..
    :rolleyes: The Dictionary definition of a Cashless Society is: a society in which all bills and debits are paid by electronic money media, for example, bank and credit cards, direct debits, and online payments.

The thread seems to be about your claims for the elimination of cash, not the move away from it. I've never questioned that cash is less used...I've questioned the predictions of its demise..
    I fail to see any links from you dismissing this technology as the future of cashless transactions. :rolleyes:

The thread is about the trend to move away from cash (As in most of my threads on this subject) and the eventual demise of it which is inevitable. If you have not noticed the trend in society to move away from cash in the last decade, be it on public transport,paying your toll, purchasing on line, MP3 downloads, cinema booking, paying bills on line etc you must have being hiding under a rock :rolleyes:
    You call people sheeple for moving away from cash, but couldn't care a damn when someone wants to hold on to it..
    In all my threads I EXPOSE the dangers of track and trace that is involved with ALL cashless options. In this particular this thread I am bringing the light of a new technology that poses a serious threat on our civil liberties.

I can forsee these phones sneaking in a "trendy" form of a cashless society as a Trojan while the populations will be too busy playing with their new "Sponge Bob" games on these new device that they will fail to notice it before its too late.
    So you want them to be sheeple? Or you just don't care either way, which is why you started a thread warning us all of what you see as a complete non-event?
    You seem to be getting very worked up about being told that your fears aren't going to be realised...
    I am concerned about these devices because they are approaching whether you like it or not. I doubt if you even bothered reading the links about them by the knowledge of them in your answers.
    Oh, I thought it was about how these phones will eliminate cash, like it says in the topic. They won't. And for the record...NFC is only a communications standard. It can be used for all sorts of stuff. Want an easy way to pair two blue tooth devices which have NFC capability? Touch them off each other, hit accept, done. Its possibilities in advertising are also huge...give customers a "token" from an NFC-enabled poster, which they can then use in the shop. Electronic business cards, and hence all manner of social networking possibilities? There are a myriad of reasons why having NFC in a phone is a good thing. As for using it for commercial activity...that's certainly one of them, which they think they see a market for...but that's about as far as it goes.
    Of course NFC phones will have all the gadgets and gizmo's to attract the masses to accept them, You can even "touch" them off your docking home sound system and transfer your favorite MP3,use it as a remote to up the volume, they may even stream real time live TV at 20mhz per second, :rolleyes:

You haven't bothered to read the link or even research into the matter.

Near Field Communication uses the unique 13.56MHZ frequency which has been synonymous with the commercial use of "touch pad" RFID for over a decade. Of course one can use blue tooth, Infra red, or whatever else you care to mention on these phones but this is fu*k all good if you want to use it in place of your transit smart card. :rolleyes:

NFC has been widely tested in cities around the America, Japan and recently the UK these phones issued by metropolitan transit agencies, banks and companies like 7-Eleven in America for reverse purchasing at top up machines. IE using it to purchase shop items from the same touch pad that is used for topping up.

In San Francisco, the Bay Area Rapid Transit System is just finishing a four-month program monitoring 230 commuters who are using Samsung NFC-enabled phones for ticketing at turnstiles.

Right now, experts agree that the soonest NFC will be available commercially in the U.S. is in 2009.

Below are just a few random links backing my case that NFC is the way foreward with cashless transactions.

http://www.nearfield.org/2007/01/nokia-releases-first-mass-market-nfc-handset

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/oyster-card-in-your-phone-coming-soon-462241

http://www.gizmosforgeeks.com/2007/12/12/nokia-testing-nfc-phones-in-uk/

Chadwicks are doing a great deal on wheelbarrows at the moment, you may soon need one for your cash. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

See now the Amero makes a whole load of sense. people will still want to use cash, so the dollar has to be phased out, there may be some Amero notes in circulation too in the future but you can bet that they will be RFID embeded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

are you from cork run to the hills?

conceited wrote: »
    are you from cork run to the hills?
    No Why?

This article on RFID phones just appeared in the Irish Wise up Journal today. :)

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=633

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Just wondering.
    :)

If they are a prepaid ticket that can be used for multiple journeys they are a cashless whether you paid for them by coins or ...

Gotcha. Cashless includes the use of cash.
    :rolleyes: The Dictionary definition of a Cashless Society is: a society in which all bills and debits are paid by electronic money media, for example, bank and credit cards, direct debits, and online payments.
    Gotcha. Cashless precludes use of cash.

So cashless means using cash to pay for stuff, as long as you don't use cash when paying for stuff?

The thread is about the trend to move away from cash (As in most of my threads on this subject) and the eventual demise of it which is inevitable.
    The eventual demise of it is inevitable...in the same sense that the eventual demise of all life is inevitable.

The timeframe, however, is what is of interest.

You appear to be arguing that being offered more choice somehow equates to a master plan to remove choice any day now. I am arguing that this is a logical non-sequitor, and that cash is going to be around, and not only used as legal tender, but widely used as such for quite some time.
    I am concerned about these devices because they are approaching whether you like it or not.
    Well, yes. Clearly you are concerned. I'm just trying to get you to explain why they are concerning.

You argue that "more choice" means "they're trying to take choice away", without really explaining how you reach that conclusion.

You argue that something that has a myriad of potential uses must really be for one particular use. You then ignore that there are a myriad of possible ways that one particular system could be implemented, concentrating on one which you really don't like, then conclude that this one possible use is really the reason everything is being put in place.

You seem to ignore that even if your doomsday scenario never came to pass, NFC in phones will be / can be so useful that there's a whole market (and thus tons of profit) to be made from having it. Not having it will be ruling out market share (and thus profit) for no good reason.

It doesn't require any "cashless society" masterplan in order to explain why mobile manufacturers would want to integrate NFC...there's plenty of profit to make without that.

How is it that on so many topics, the reason for doing stuff is "profit", but then when profit is a perfectly simple motive to explain something, its not enough?
    I doubt if you even bothered reading the links about them by the knowledge of them in your answers.
    You can doubt whatever you like. Indeed, most of your argument seems to be based on a flat refusal to consider any possibilities other than the doomsday scenario that you've latched on to, so its hardly surprising that you'll choose to pick the option here that best suits you as well.....despite having no evidence to back this assumption up either.

You can even "touch" them off your docking home sound system and transfer your favorite MP3,use it as a remote to up the volume, they may even stream real time live TV at 20mhz per second,

Most of those uses you claim...NFC can only be used to "handshake". The actual connection will have to be w-lan, wifi, bluetooth, or other established standard, because NFC wouldn't have the bandwidth.

The significance of that distinction is that none of them rely on NFC. All it does is make the initial handshaking simpler...the actual data-transfer technologies. The examples I gave...all low-bandwidth, which don't require any other connection technology.

So well done...you've done a great job of showing that its you and not me who understands what NFC is about, based on how much both of us have read up on it. Clearly I'm the one lacking in understanding.
    You haven't bothered to read the link or even research into the matter.
    There you go with your assumptions again...forming your beliefs around what suits you, and then stating assumption as bald fact without argument (or evidnce) to support it.

By the way...these add a lot to your argument. You should use them more often. They really show that you're willing to make your case in civilised discussion.
    Below are just a few random links backing my case that NFC is the way foreward with cashless transactions.
    Really?

Lets have a look....
    http://www.nearfield.org/2007/01/nokia-releases-first-mass-market-nfc-handset

Now the big question is the rollout of NFC services. NFC technology offers very little without a supporting infrastructure of regionally specific ticketing, payment and custom services. Will we see London Transport selling Oyster phones, or Tesco selling loyalty phones? Without services/applications like these, the handsets themselves are likely to be hard to sell.

Clearly saying that its the next big thing...what with asking whether or not it'll succeed like that.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/oyster-card-in-your-phone-coming-soon-462241

It is looking for handset manufacturers and retailers to sign up, and then we could see a similar system to that being used in Japan to conduct our everyday business.
    No issues there, either.
    http://www.gizmosforgeeks.com/2007/12/12/nokia-testing-nfc-phones-in-uk/

your phone may soon act as your wallet, particularly if Nokia’s current test is a success
    Of course, if your phone can act as an Oyster card and the Oyster card can act as a virtual wallet, then so can your cell phone!
    So again its dependant on a successful trial...and not only that, but they're saying the phone will have the same capabilities as something that's already widely in use. So these NFC phones aren't really bringing that much new to the table at all...other than integrating something many people already have and something else many people already have.

How is it, incidentally that the Oyster card wasn't predicted as the end of cash? Oh thats right...it was. And we still have cash.
    :pac::pac::pac:
    May I again commend you on your eloquence.

How is it, incidentally that the Oyster card wasn't predicted as the end of cash? Oh thats right...it was. And we still have cash. May I again commend you on your eloquence.
    Did you even bother to read my first post?
    RTTH wrote:
    "These phones act as "electronic purses" and can bridge the gap of person to person cashless payments that was deemed impossible just few years ago"..

Have you purchased your wheelbarrow yet :pac::pac::pac:

Now theres no need for the next generation NFC phone which would have been one of the main barriers for rolling out this form of cashless system

Just add a tagged micro SD card to your standard 3G hand set and with the correct firmware Hey Presto you have an electonic purse. :)

245g288.jpg

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/7224/1/1/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

buy gold :D
    maybe down the line we will have an underground market with gold as currency yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

There is another down side you did'nt mention in the OP , mobile phones microwave your brain and can give you cancer , i have a mobile phone but i keep it turned off most of the time and i might use it once a week .

There are very few people that use mobile phones any more because of the dangers of them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

espinolman wrote: »
    There is another down side you did'nt mention in the OP , mobile phones microwave your brain and can give you cancer , i have a mobile phone but i keep it turned off most of the time and i might use it once a week .

There are very few people that use mobile phones any more because of the dangers of them .

I am sure you can show some sort of back up to this.....
    I wasn't aware of any study, that has been accepted by the ecitntific community and medical researches as shown this claim to be true..

Advertisement