Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a new tractor today.....

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I have been threatening for years and finally today I broke out and went in search of a second hand 4wd. I was looking for something about 100hp - it will mainly be used for spreading slurry, adgitating and wrapping. Need the 4wd as we have a lot of hilly ground and it just didn't feel safe with 4 or 5 ton of slurry after the MF 168.

I knew exactly what i wanted, a New Holland less than 10 years old. I scoured the country all day - travelled nearly 200 miles looking at TS and TN 90's and 100's, TD's and TDD's. Lovely tractors, pity about the price. Would you believe that i could find no New Holland with less than 5000 hours for less than €25000. Who could justify paying this.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a good long chat with my local new Holland dealer. he explained how I could put a new tractor against my tax :) . I took a big step and a bank loan and bought what you see in the picture - A T5050. Its 97hp, has a good spec - Wide tyres, comfort cab, a lovely synchro shuttle just under the steering wheel. All for just over €41k. It will be delivered to me just after christmas with 09 plates.

Am I crazy? I have the work for it, and looking at all those second hand ones, it will have a great resale value in the next 10 years.

Anyone any opinions???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can't believe you got rid of the 168 dude its a classic! My da had one of them. The Holland looks nice. (can't say much more than that). I don't think you are crazy at all if you can put it to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Good new tractor, but the reason I'm really posting is that one of the first tractors I have memory of is my late grandfather's MF 168. My father later did it up, and it was in quite good order, but it didn't have much practical use for us, unfortunately. It was sent to a village in Africa, and we recently found out that it's still going strong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

reilig wrote: »
    I have been threatening for years and finally today I broke out and went in search of a second hand 4wd. I was looking for something about 100hp - it will mainly be used for spreading slurry, adgitating and wrapping. Need the 4wd as we have a lot of hilly ground and it just didn't feel safe with 4 or 5 ton of slurry after the MF 168.

I knew exactly what i wanted, a New Holland less than 10 years old. I scoured the country all day - travelled nearly 200 miles looking at TS and TN 90's and 100's, TD's and TDD's. Lovely tractors, pity about the price. Would you believe that i could find no New Holland with less than 5000 hours for less than €25000. Who could justify paying this.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a good long chat with my local new Holland dealer. he explained how I could put a new tractor against my tax :) . I took a big step and a bank loan and bought what you see in the picture - A T5050. Its 97hp, has a good spec - Wide tyres, comfort cab, a lovely synchro shuttle just under the steering wheel. All for just over €41k. It will be delivered to me just after christmas with 09 plates.

Am I crazy? I have the work for it, and looking at all those second hand ones, it will have a great resale value in the next 10 years.

Anyone any opinions???

Lovely tractor. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

I wish you luck on the new purchase.
    Look at the comfort you will have and in 10 years time if you care for it it will be worth the same money as you paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Anyone any opinions???

i wish you luck with it , sounds like you got a good deal , new holland have a 0% finance offer right now , while i think new holland are a nice tractor with lovely finish , i wouldnt buy one , they used to be a ford and thats enough for me

im not a farmer but my brother is , he has a john deere , if was someone who needed a new tractor , the tractor i would buy in the morning for around the 40 k mark is a CLAAS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irish_bob wrote: »
    i wish you luck with it , sounds like you got a good deal , new holland have a 0% finance offer right now , while i think new holland are a nice tractor with lovely finish , i wouldnt buy one , they used to be a ford and thats enough for me

im not a farmer but my brother is , he has a john deere , if was someone who needed a new tractor , the tractor i would buy in the morning for around the 40 k mark is a CLAAS

I test drove a Claas, and then the dealer told me that basically Renault just changed their brand name to Claas. I ran out of the place - I have heard so many bad stories about Renault. I put them in the same class as Belarus and Farmer tractors.

New Holland used to be ford. Then they were bought by fiat. They have a fiat engine made in Italy. In my experience, Fiat were one of the best tractors ever made. That would be one of my main reasons for buying it.

If I went and bought a Massey Ferguson out of loyalty to the MF 168, I'd be getting a bad deal. New Massies are made by AGCO and I don't think they're up to much.

I couldn't afford a John Deere - they're the merc of tractors, I don't meet the income limit to be allowed to own one of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I test drove a Claas, and then the dealer told me that basically Renault just changed their brand name to Claas. I ran out of the place - I have heard so many bad stories about Renault. I put them in the same class as Belarus and Farmer tractors.

New Holland used to be ford. Then they were bought by fiat. They have a fiat engine made in Italy. In my experience, Fiat were one of the best tractors ever made. That would be one of my main reasons for buying it.

If I went and bought a Massey Ferguson out of loyalty to the MF 168, I'd be getting a bad deal. New Massies are made by AGCO and I don't think they're up to much.

I couldn't afford a John Deere - they're the merc of tractors, I don't meet the income limit to be allowed to own one of them :)

Funny. I've heard mostly good things about Renault tractors. Alot of people seem to equate them to the cars and when goes wrong it's "what do you expect from a Renault?". Anyone I know that worked them or worked on them reckons they were good reliable machines (with a few exceptions, but everyone produces a few stinkers. Massey, are you listening? :)).

renault were a superb tractor although they did not sell that well , besides claas untill this year had a john deere engine , the new models im told though im not 100% sure have a perkins engine

as for the new holland having a fiat engine , if they do then that is a very good reason to buy one , you are right in saying that fiat were one of the best tractors ever made , they had an engine like no other
    i always thought that the smaller new hollands had some fiat influence in them but i had heard that once you went above around 100 hp , they were ford all over

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

relig where did you trade in your 168 and how much did it trade in for.

marlyman wrote: »
    relig where did you trade in your 168 and how much did it trade in for.

I'm actually keeping the 168. It would be worth nothing in a trade against the NH. I have a 165 too which I hope to sell privately for around €5000. It has new tyres, I'm getting the steering reconditioned on it at the moment. (it has a wobble from a faulty joint) It has multi - power and a puh. Its a square axel with a long pto. It'll be on the Buy and Sell in about 4 weeks time.

I recon the 168 to be worth €6k to €7k. Put new tyres on it last year. Lift fully reconditioned this year. Engine totally rebuilt in 2004. Square axel, 4 speed. Could never get rid of it, have spent €7 or €8k on her to get her to what she is. Put power steering in it too. She's like one of the family - made in 1966 - 42 years old, and runs like she did on her first day!!!!

And its not a vintage, its a work horse and will be for years to come. They just don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Did you price the JD, from what I've see out there the JD is no longer the exclusive machine it used to be. They are as cheap as anyone now and are not as realiable either, hear the new tier 3 engine is plenty troublesome. Did you try Case JXU95 by any chance, similar tractor to T5050.

How much do you want for the 165 the way it is.

I'm actually keeping the 168. It would be worth nothing in a trade against the NH. I have a 165 too which I hope to sell privately for around €5000. It has new tyres, I'm getting the steering reconditioned on it at the moment. (it has a wobble from a faulty joint) It has multi - power and a puh. Its a square axel with a long pto. It'll be on the Buy and Sell in about 4 weeks time.

I recon the 168 to be worth €6k to €7k. Put new tyres on it last year. Lift fully reconditioned this year. Engine totally rebuilt in 2004. Square axel, 4 speed. Could never get rid of it, have spent €7 or €8k on her to get her to what she is. Put power steering in it too. She's like one of the family - made in 1966 - 42 years old, and runs like she did on her first day!!!!

And its not a vintage, its a work horse and will be for years to come. They just don't make them like they used to.

your certainly looking enough for the 168

How much do you want for the 165 the way it is.

The 165 went last week to get the steering done, a service and a few bits of tidying up on the cab (a door handle broken and another few small things). The way it was, it was probably worth €3500. With the steering done and the cab tidied up, it should be worth €4k to €4.5k. That's the general run of them on the buy and sell. I'm not going to sell until the end of december and I might even wait until I get the new tractor in Jan. The 165 is handy for putting in bales - easy started on a cold morning and good in tight corners.

your certainly looking enough for the 168

As I said above, I'm not looking for anything for the 168 as she's not for sale. But the price above is the general run for 4 speed 168's on the buy and sell. To be honest, I wouldn't sell it if I was offered €10k for it. It has a sentimental value :)

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Did you price the JD, from what I've see out there the JD is no longer the exclusive machine it used to be. They are as cheap as anyone now and are not as realiable either, hear the new tier 3 engine is plenty troublesome. Did you try Case JXU95 by any chance, similar tractor to T5050.

The equivalent JD is €46k - not worth the extra money in my personal opinion.
    Didn't look at the Case - there are no local dealers I'm afraid.

pity, i needed one for training and restoration. be careful though - none of the tractors in the buy and sell are making that pie in the sky price any more. (no offence intended). seen a swuare axle 165 long pto, mk3 pump, flexi cab and p/s starting on the button for sale in tipp for 2000.

pity, i needed one for training and restoration. be careful though - none of the tractors in the buy and sell are making that pie in the sky price any more. (no offence intended). seen a swuare axle 165 long pto, mk3 pump, flexi cab and p/s starting on the button for sale in tipp for 2000.

They guy that's fixing the steering will give me €3500 for it and he intends selling it on again, so if I don't get more than that for it, I let him have it.

The equivalent JD is €46k - not worth the extra money in my personal opinion.
    Didn't look at the Case - there are no local dealers I'm afraid.

as i said earlier , i think newholland are a nicely finished machine and if this one has a fiat engine then even better but newholland wont hold its value like a john deere and it would not be regarded as good a tractor either

6 k isnt a huge difference , john deere must have come back a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

Good luck with the NH - after a few months you will wonder why you didnt buy one sooner - believe me I know! After tax relief on the depreciation it will cost you almost nothing - especially if you get the vat back.

NH was a good choice - have a good name and will hold its value, would have gone Massey myself, ok - they are over priced but will definately not loose money in the long run.

• Advertisement

john deere have gone hugely down in value now. was anyone at the last cheffins sale? only one in eight john deeres sold. theyre also too expensive to fix and the brakes aren't lasting jig time in them. even simple things like the heater resister fails after a redicusly short time. the older ones were better.

john deere have gone hugely down in value now. was anyone at the last cheffins sale? only one in eight john deeres sold. theyre also too expensive to fix and the brakes aren't lasting jig time in them. even simple things like the heater resister fails after a redicusly short time. the older ones were better.

yes, I agree, the newer JD models seem to be giving a lot of trouble. Had a friend with a 130hp 07 JD which he used for mowing and baleing mainly - it gave him no end of bother and the John Deere back up was less than acceptable. It had 1250 hours on the clock when he sold it and he had to take €14k less than he paid for it. It was just a little over 12 months old. €14k in 12 months was a bit hit, but to tell you the truth he was glad to get rid of it. He has a 130hp Massey Ferguson ordered for 2009. JD seems to be only a status symbol. Older models were reliable, but forget about buying a new one.

and one point for you to note, make sure your tractor comes with a dromone hitch. the oe one falls apart quickly and i think i remember you do a lot of slurry.

i had a euro for every man who i saw crying over the value of his john deere id be richer than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

should Have gone MF 5400 series in my opinion.. Comfort quality and reliability.. MF backup service is second to none..

Would dream of buying anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Trx,

That machine has the new Dyna 4 transmission hasn't it. How do you find it, heard its not very user friendly.
    Whats your opinion?

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Trx,

That machine has the new Dyna 4 transmission hasn't it. How do you find it, heard its not very user friendly.
    Whats your opinion?

Dyna 4 is a disaster - i have std box with splitter on a 5455, neighbour has dyna 4 on same tractor , i've driven both and find the dyna very awkward , to much changing, also speed matching on the dyna is not all its cracked up to be , i believe the dyna 6 is a total disaster.

while the new jd may be falling short a bit compared to previous models , thier stil lway ahead of a massey which hasnt had a good reputation in a decade

bt , 14 k is not a huge amount to loose on a tractor in one year , the 1st year is when you take the big hit

Trx wrote: »
    should Have gone MF 5400 series in my opinion.. Comfort quality and reliability.. MF backup service is second to none..

Would dream of buying anything else

If i remember correctly the new model 5455 with front loader was priced at 63K plus VAT at the ploughing - open to correction on this.

bt , 14 k is not a huge amount to loose on a tractor in one year , the 1st year is when you take the big hit

I thought it was a serious hit. You never see any other 1 year old tractor in the dealers with 14k off the new price. Maybe 8k at most if it had 2000 hours on it. I have a neighbour who bought a New Holland ts90 in 2002. He's trading it in Jan for a TD5050. He has to give €8500 with his 2002 tractor. Its a basic spec. and has a list price of €8500. He has 2250 hours on his own machine. Dealer told him his 02 NH TS90 has a market value of €30k. Funny thing is he paid €30k for it in 2002. It lost nothing. And you try to tell me that the JD has better resale than any other???

You would be a long time trying to convince me!!!

Go on to www.farmandplant.ie and check out the New Hollands from 2000 onwards. See the prices for anything with less than 5000 hours. Compare them to the John Deere's from 2000 onwards and take into account the price difference between the JD and the NH in 2000 (approx €10k). You will see that they have relatively the same prices. Meaning that the JD lost 10k more than the NH. There are some small exceptions to this, but this is mainly the course.

• Advertisement

and remember massey now has the best new tractor on the makrket at the mo. and thats generally accepted throughout the trade at the moment

Advertisement