Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Jersey Sightings

Options

Comments

Dónal wrote: »
    That was me, was thinking that your cargo bike could do with its own sighting thread!

Camden Street, around 1:30 today, parked outside a café by any chance? Seemed to be the immobiliser type thing on the back of the cargo bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Camden Street, around 1:30 today, parked outside a café by any chance? Seemed to be the immobiliser type thing on the back of the cargo bike.

Not mine - I was cycling somewhere around John of God's on the N11 at 1:30 on Friday - but I think I know the one you saw. Was it outside Green 19? They have one with a nameplate on it. In fact, I think there's another one that parks nearby occasionally too. I'm not the only Dutch bike in the village, you know! :)

(Although it still makes me laugh when I end up beside a fellow Dutch bike rider at a set of lights, as happened the other day. I guess we're not sufficiently ubiquitous for it not to seem just a bit ridiculous, and when it happens I never know if I should say something or pretend it's the most natural thing in he world. [The first rule of Dutch Bike Club...etc.])

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Not mine - I was cycling somewhere around John of God's on the N11 at 1:30 on Friday - but I think I know the one you saw. Was it outside Green 19? They have one with a nameplate on it. In fact, I think there's another one that parks nearby occasionally too. I'm not the only Dutch bike in the village, you know! :)

(Although it still makes me laugh when I end up beside a fellow Dutch bike rider at a set of lights, as happened the other day. I guess we're not sufficiently ubiquitous for it not to seem just a bit ridiculous, and when it happens I never know if I should say something or pretend it's the most natural thing in he world. [The first rule of Dutch Bike Club...etc.])

Yes, that's the one! If this keeps up I wonder if they'll end up getting freaked out with people waving at them.

Yes, that's the one! If this keeps up I wonder if they'll end up getting freaked out with people waving at them.

Ha! Either that, or they'll think those fellas from Boards in their matching jerseys are just a really friendly bunch.

(And wonder simultaneously why the guy on the bike just like theirs never ever waves at all.)

Me again!

1:03 pm, Seapoint Avenue in Monkstown, near the junction with Newtown Avenue at the west end. New jersey, yellow(?) road bike, heading towards Dun Laoghaire. Me in tweed on my trusty Dutch steed. Rang the bell and gave a one-fingered wave; think I got a nod in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Boardsie in hi viz on the Rock Road heading in the Blackrock direction around 8:20 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Me again!

1:03 pm, Seapoint Avenue in Monkstown, near the junction with Newtown Avenue at the west end. New jersey, yellow(?) road bike, heading towards Dun Laoghaire. Me in tweed on my trusty Dutch steed. Rang the bell and gave a one-fingered wave; think I got a nod in return.
    That was me. I did nod, but was no match for your jaunty bell! I thought I heard it again when I got back into town, but it was probably my mind playing tricks.

I thought I heard it again when I got back into town, but it was probably my mind playing tricks.

It has indeed been said of my bell that the memory, um, kinda lingers.

(A certain Boardsie's as yet unretired new jersey may have been spotted twice in half an hour, first on South Great George's Street [6:15pm?], then on Ranelagh Road at Mountpleasant Square; but, as I understood he was going incognito for a while, perhaps I shouldn't mention it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

dermo1990 wrote: »
    Boardsie in hi viz on the Rock Road heading in the Blackrock direction around 8:20 or so

Probly me. I didn't notice anybody else - were you cycling or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Probly me. I didn't notice anybody else - were you cycling or other?

I was cycling toward town...probably wouldn't have been seen through the traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

New kit and a Bray Wheeler passing Ballinastoe around 5pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Did I see someone, in a group of cyclists on the old Galway road just outside Enfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

dermo1990 wrote: »

Did I see you going the opposite direction that day? Around the junction for the Sandymount rd? Was stopped at the lights across the way with another bike? Gave you a wave but couldn't shout boardsie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Mr Daly, I do believe, at 6:45 this evening at the junction of Griffith avenue with the malahide road. A fine display of track standing it was too.

Warning: May not have actually been a track stand. I was a good number of cars back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I could claim it was a one-foot track stand if you like.

Then again, I did have to wait a bit in the middle of the junction for oncoming cars to clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Saw a Boardsie go by me today in the rain outside the conference centre on the quays after 5 today

They proceeded to go through a red light onto the Samuel Beckett Bridge heading across the liffey to the Southside...

Saw a Boardsie go by me today in the rain outside the conference centre on the quays after 5 today

They proceeded to go through a red light onto the Samuel Beckett Bridge heading across the liffey to the Southside...

Sounds like me. I will always take exception at that red light/left turn. I took the entrance for cyclists onto the footpad and then hopped back onto the road. It's illegal to stay on the road and go left otherwise. There are two options there, stay on the road and go left when the signs are staying not to, or enter the footpad through the slip provided. It's a very silly layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Sounds like me. I will always take exception at that red light/left turn. I took the entrance for cyclists onto the footpad and then hopped back onto the road. It's illegal to stay on the road and go left otherwise. There are two options there, stay on the road and go left when the signs are staying not to, or enter the footpad through the slip provided. It's a very silly layout.

Agree stupid layout alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Your use of the "word" footpad is equally silly. Not to mention the red light jumping, cycling on the footpath.....cop on donal. You can't simply take exception to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

That piece of road Donal is talking about is a bit messy. Heading west along the river towards the conference centre there's an intermittent on-path cycle lane just to the left of the new bus lane. If you follow it, you end up hopping on and off the road quite a lot. At the junction there is no cycle lane on the road itself for the last 20m or so to the lights. But about 5m before the lights there is an on-footpath cycle lane that leads off the road which then joins the two-way cycle lane on the bridge left hand side. This lane is about 5m long and has a yield at the end of it as it terminates at a point where a two way cycle lane and two pedestrian crossings meet. As I said - a bit messy. As such, however, there is never a red light for a cyclist turning left.

When going left, choices are cross the bridge on the two way cycle path playing dodge the pedestrian or rejoin the bus lane or the bridge. Personally I use the bus lane.

The right turn at the south side of the bridge to join the two way cycle lane heading west on the south of the river is a similar mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

'forgot to mention. Boardsie at the junction of Lower Mount St. and Holles St. at around 0815 this morning. Hard to see the jersey under the open hi-viz vest so I may be mistaken

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Your use of the "word" footpad is equally silly. Not to mention the red light jumping, cycling on the footpath.....cop on donal. You can't simply take exception to the law.

I assume you don't know the junction. Here are some google maps images with the route I took in red. What you can't see (as the streetview images are a bit out of date) is that there is signage not allowing you to go left onto the bridge, yet you can see there is a slip specifically for bicycles to gain entry to the bridge. What would you do in this scenario?

Sam_Beckett_Bridge.png

Sam_Beckett_Bridge_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What would you do in this scenario?
    I would have thought it was obvious;

- You come to stop at the yield sign on the cycle track.

- You lift your front wheel so you're in the stationary wheelie position.

- You make a short bunnyhop onto the closest painting of a bicycle. As there's not much room here, you'll need to remain in the wheelie position

- You make a much larger leap now onto the next painting of a bike, landing nose down on the image, while swinging the rear of the bicycle clockwise (left)

- As the rear wheel swings around over the road, and you bring it down and then use the clockwise momentum to bring your front wheel up and around, and onto the road.

Et voila, you are now on the road and facing in the right direction, without having to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

'forgot to mention. Boardsie at the junction of Lower Mount St. and Holles St. at around 0815 this morning. Hard to see the jersey under the open hi-viz vest so I may be mistaken

Me, I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Old jersey 12.20pmish today on the Maynooth-Celbridge road. On an MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

I saw jimm today! And he reminded me that he saw me many moons ago on D'Olier St, where he made my day with a "have a nice day boardsie" sign. What a gent!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cycling down the Ballyfermot road this morning spotted you just before the civic centre. I was standing at the bus stop wondering why I'd never seen a boards jersey in the mornings before then remembered when I have my bike I leave the house 30 minutes later than when I'm stuck on the peasent mobile :(

I was going to wave or shout but the effort involved seemed too great!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I got passed by a boards jersey yesterday evening on may home from work. First time i have ever seen one. He caught me on the N11 coming into Shankill around 5.20, i hung on until the Vevay hill in Bray at which point he went away (quite quickly!) In my defense my bike is very heavy and not really made for going up hill quickly....... caught one more glimpse as he disappeared around the bend on Winegates hill......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

oinkely wrote: »
    I got passed by a boards jersey yesterday evening on may home from work. First time i have ever seen one. He caught me on the N11 coming into Shankill around 5.20, i hung on until the Vevay hill in Bray at which point he went away (quite quickly!) In my defense my bike is very heavy and not really made for going up hill quickly....... caught one more glimpse as he disappeared around the bend on Winegates hill......

Twas I, wasn't the greatest evening in the world to be commuting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

nice to meet ya plastik,
    doesn't look like this evening will be any better!
    ah well, at least the shoes dried out in front of the fire last night.
    see ya on the road

Advertisement