Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Post your experiences, questions or concerns for the Medical Examination in this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

this section would b me. .waitin waitin waitin.........zzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I belong here I think! Medical done, but waiting to get laser surgery !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

How strict are they on the eye test? Probably one of the biggest things im worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Ye i think i belong here as well, waiting on the Medical....

Hopefully not too much longer.:D

Also i think the thread separation looks like it could solve a lot of issues, cheers psni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I wonder if this new format will kill off some users or make the info you are looking for harder to come by. For example will people be arsed going back to a stage they have passed to help others! :confused:

I am waiting on a medical call so guess I am in here too ........... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Here is some basic info on the medical, originally posted by MGX:

just completed my medical and went like so
    1) arrive and complete a medical questionare at depot (have your doctors phone number handy)
    2) hearing test carried out
    3) urine test taken
    4) blood pressure taken
    5) what i can describe as a lung capacity test is taken - you blow hard into a medical instrument which gives an idea of how fit you are (so i was told)
    6) brought upstairs to a waiting room to meet the doc then and wait around in very flattering bathrobes with paper gowns on underneath.
    7) meet the doc and she/he checks your breathing and gets you to stand up straight on your toes.
    8) checks your height and weight - did not mention BMI but the scales gives a digital readout of your total percentage body fat.
    9) men have to cough (twice) then!!!
    10) look into a box and read lines for your eyesight and also read numbers hidden in designs from a book (colourblind test).
    11) my teeth were never checked.
    12) they also check your ears and throat to make sure all is okay.

if you were to do the medical straight through you would complete it in about 20 mins but with all the waiting around it took about 2 hours - it flies tough as you meet other guys waiting and you can have a chat and a laugh. hope all goes well for ya.

Hope this helps

Im stuck here for a while!
    Had a consultation this morning for eye surgery and I'm a suitable candidate for it, so its going ahead next Friday. After that I have to wait 6 weeks then give a report of my then perfect(hopefully!) vision to the medical officer, who will then give me a date for my PCT.

All my background checks are clear already so this time 7 weeks I will hopefully have a offer for August 6th :)

How strict are they on the eye test? Probably one of the biggest things im worried about

Not majorly strict. If your eyesight is 6/18,6/18 you will pass.

One of mine wasnt so the only option I had was eye surgery.
    They will defer your medical for 6 months if you fail over eyesight to allow you to get surgery ,so theyre pretty fair about that.

Fail the medical on any other grounds though and you're back to square 1

They will defer your medical for 6 months if you fail over eyesight to allow you to get surgery ,so theyre pretty fair about that.

Fail the medical on any other grounds though and you're back to square 1

They also allow you to fix your teeth if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Does anybody know what the hearing test involves or how they go about it?

• Advertisement

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the hearing test involves or how they go about it?

You will have to sit in a small, soundproof room and put big headphones on. They will also give you a little joystick kind of thing with the button on top of it. You will hear little clicks in the earphones, and each time you hear one, you will have to press the button. That's more or less it.

This test is pretty hard actuallly, sounds are all over the place, in different frequencies, some of them really quiet, aftr the while you get quite paranoid, not knowing whether you are hearing a sound or is it just your imagination. You should also hold your breath, because it's too loud.

Having said that, I don't think there is too many people failing it, I can think of only one poster anyway.

I can't even tell you how long it takes, I was so focused, that i coimpletely lost a track of time. It seemed like ages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

what is the max BMI than anyone has been passed with?

Thanks ojewriej, appreciate that. Sounds strange, ive never heard of anything like that before. When you say other sounds at different frequencies do they put in other sounds that you're not meant to click the button for when you hear them? What im trying to say is that do you have to click the button for every sound you hear and they're basically testing whether you can hear very faint sounds?

Thanks again for the help

. When you say other sounds at different frequencies do they put in other sounds that you're not meant to click the button for when you hear them? What im trying to say is that do you have to click the button for every sound you hear and they're basically testing whether you can hear very faint sounds?

You have to press the button for every sound you hear in the headphones. But they are not all the same, plus sometimes it will be just left ear, sometimes just the right one, and sometimes both.

But the worse part is, or at least it was for me, that after a while you are not sure whether you heard something or not, or was it in the earphones or maybe outside. It can be very confusing. I just kept pressing the button whenever I though i heard something, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure if this is a good strategy, because I don't know if there is any penalties if you press the button when there was no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 phowiedaman

lehanemore wrote: »
    what is the max BMI than anyone has been passed with?

i think the max bmi is 30. i know someone who was 31 and was told to loose a little weight and was deferred for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

hows it going.
    anyone have any idea when the meds are on again or are they ongoing all the time

how long are ye waiting at this stage
    its been a month or so since i got my letter after the interview

kmurray wrote: »
    hows it going.
    anyone have any idea when the meds are on again or are they ongoing all the time

they tend to get concentrated in the last month before the next intake, but they do run the whole time also. Id imagine they will start up again in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

So what type of sounds are we talking in the hearing test?

Beeps and ..........

Paolo5 wrote: »
    So what type of sounds are we talking in the hearing test?

Beeps and ..........

just beeps...high pitched ones and low pitched ones

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Im stuck here for a while!
    Had a consultation this morning for eye surgery and I'm a suitable candidate for it, so its going ahead next Friday. After that I have to wait 6 weeks then give a report of my then perfect(hopefully!) vision to the medical officer, who will then give me a date for my PCT.

All my background checks are clear already so this time 7 weeks I will hopefully have a offer for August 6th :)

Glad to hear this Kaiser. Best of luck with it. I'm glad you are getting it sorted in time for august.

• Advertisement

Not majorly strict. If your eyesight is 6/18,6/18 you will pass.

One of mine wasnt so the only option I had was eye surgery.

This is not strictly true. You must be able to read 6/18 6/18 unaided (without glasses) you then have to be able to read 6/12 6/9 corrected.
    These are minimum levels. 6/18 is the third line down on the wall chart, 6/12 is the 4th line down and 6/9 is the 5th line down. This means you must, without glasses, read the first 3 lines with both eyes and with or without glasses be able to read at least the 4th line with one eye and at least the fifth line with the other.
    Your GP should be able to test this easy enough and it is worth making sure you can reach this level before going up. I was deferred as I missed 2 letters off the 4th lined (corrected) and even though I have perfect vision with my right eye it was a deferal. Luckily I passed this level at the opticians and they accepted a report to pass me fit.

This is something everyone can do at home. It id only an indication and is of course not medically sound but it will let you know if you may have a problem.

Sit in front of your boards screen with your face approx 2 foot from monitor. Close one eye and read. Then close the other eye and read. If you are having difficulty reading you may not achieve these standards.
    For instance if I close my left eye at this distance, I cant read it but if I put on my glasses I can. I can read it with my right eye from 6-8 feet away.
    I'm guessing Kaiser wont be able to read it with one eye but after surgery he will.

This wont work if you have changed font size btw.

Just to clarify the required standard is 6/18 6/18 unaided, correctable to 6/9 6/12 with normal colour vision.

The colour vision is tested using the ishihara charts. These are coloured dots with numbers hidden within. You must be able to see and repeat these numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

howdy people, just thought id ask if it is true that you do the medical exam in the garda college?

daisey wrote: »
    howdy people, just thought id ask if it is true that you do the medical exam in the garda college?

false.

You do it in the Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

The pct (physical competency test) is done in the garda college in Templemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

false.

You do it in the Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

The pct (physical competency test) is done in the garda college in Templemore.
    cheers for the info hun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

ojewriej wrote: »
    You have to press the button for every sound you hear in the headphones. But they are not all the same, plus sometimes it will be just left ear, sometimes just the right one, and sometimes both.

But the worse part is, or at least it was for me, that after a while you are not sure whether you heard something or not, or was it in the earphones or maybe outside. It can be very confusing. I just kept pressing the button whenever I though i heard something, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure if this is a good strategy, because I don't know if there is any penalties if you press the button when there was no sound.

Ditto on imagining the beeps. and yes there is a penalty of sorts for pressing the butten when theres no sound

Does anybody know if you fail the hearing test on the day for example, do you get a chance to sit in the soundproof room again and give it a second attempt?

Thanks again

Does anybody know if you fail the hearing test on the day for example, do you get a chance to sit in the soundproof room again and give it a second attempt?

Thanks again

As far as I know, you can't repeat it. I'm not 100% sure though.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055275523

And maybe try PMing itsallaboutthel or manaka, they should know for certain.

• Advertisement

ojewriej wrote: »
    As far as I know, you can't repeat it. I'm not 100% sure though.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055275523

And maybe try PMing itsallaboutthel or manaka, they should know for certain.
    Just done that now ojewriej, thanks for the reply.

Advertisement