Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership Prices in Galway

Options
  • 30-03-2008 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there are a few threads floating around the Galway forum about things gym-related, I thought it would be good to have a list of all the gyms within city limits and their pricing.

I'm not currently a member of anyone them at the moment, so if anyone here is a member of one, feel free to tell us how much of your hard-earned it is costing you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I pay 55 euro a month in NRG in Knocknacarra. I think that's good value. Full use of pool, gym facilities and can attend as many of the exercise classes as I want.

[As with all gyms, it's only good value if you're motivated enough to go ;) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hey Dafunk... I live right beside there (just moved) do they take monthly payments? Last time I joined a gym they only took yearly payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I think I paid 310 for a year for Peak Physique (the one near Tesco). It suits me well. Some of the equip is a bit old, but it has what I need and is never terribly crowded. No pool though. I dunno what it's per month fee is.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Hey Dafunk... I live right beside there (just moved) do they take monthly payments? Last time I joined a gym they only took yearly payments

I pay them monthly but I did have to sign a contract for a year. I don't understand why places won't let you sign up for a few months ... it's inconvenient if you move about,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Paid 575 for a year at the Kingfisher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dafunk wrote: »
    I pay them monthly but I did have to sign a contract for a year. I don't understand why places won't let you sign up for a few months ... it's inconvenient if you move about,

I guess they just want your money and don't care if you can't go or not!

I think gyms must rely on people who pay and then don't come as a major part of their income. If everyone who paid tried to use them everyday, they'd prob not have enough room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

I paid €600 for NRG in Bohermore. Lovely clean gym with nice facilities. I mainly use the pool and it's lovely, usually quiet enough unless you go at peak times.

On the negative side, there's not a great range of classes and they are a bit stingy! (eg after paying €600 for membership you still have to purchase a fob for the car park, as well as things like their own-brand swimming hats)

I looked at Peak Physique but I thought it was so dingy I wouldn't go! I think if you pay for it and it's somewhere pleasant to go there's a better incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I checked out a range in December. The ish-values for 12 months peak time were:

Peak whatever (near Tesco) - 320
    Leisureland 550
    NRG (join either, use both) 645
    The one near the Raddison 975

Some have a joining fee, which they waive if you join at the right times (Dec-Jan). Some have off-peak rates. Some have couples rates. I didn't take any notice of those prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Crunch Fitness in NUIG: 235 /year for non-students.

Worth it, in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Olympic Physique is about E465
    City Gym about E395

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

You can pay as you go in Leisureland. it's a tenner for 2 hours and that includes use of the pool, sauna etc. I'm no expert but the equipment appears modern and of very good quality. Not too crowded either

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

galah wrote: »
    Crunch Fitness in NUIG: 235 /year for non-students.

Worth it, in my eyes.
    That's very interesting, thanks - would seem to be the closest to where I work (IDA park in Dangan). If I could get out of bed earlier in the morning, my cycle in would be a good warmup ...

If you mainly work out before 4 pm on weekdays, a lot of places offer hella cheap 'Off Peak' membership plans. I think leisureland was like 200 for the year.

Crunch is basically an off peak membership plan, since it's so crowded after about 4 pm it's almost unusable. I do weights tho, which it had a pretty **** selection for anyway. If you are mainly just doing aerobics, it may be fine.

I think it would have to be the mornings for me as I'm not really in the mood in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

tristanc wrote: »

Crunch is basically an off peak membership plan, since it's so crowded after about 4 pm it's almost unusable. I do weights tho, which it had a pretty **** selection for anyway. If you are mainly just doing aerobics, it may be fine.

I use crunch myself but I'll agree it is horrendous at peak hours when all the students are off.

I go in the morning when all the other students are asleep as the weights section is unusable after that, also the staff in the morning are very sound and there have been complaints on here about the staff later in the day.

If you're just after cardio then Crunch would be a good choice methinks.
    No pool though.

OP if your looking to work out in mornings then crunch fitness would seem a good bet, especially with the cost factored in.
    Although I can't speak for the other gyms in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

JustMary wrote: »
    The one near the Raddison 975

HOLY JEBUS!! thats a lotta sponds to be throwin out for a gym!!:eek::eek:
    wonder what makes it so good??Free massages or somethin??:p
    city gym supposed to be very good!! used the GMIT gym last yr, think it was €90 so fairly decent, the gym is a crock of s**t but if ur looking for somethin cheap and in GMIT then its handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Rad is so dear coz simply coz of the name radisson and the standard of the hotel. Best pool facilities by a long way tho and the staff always very good for tips, get a couple of passes to the spa and free swim lesson and more guest passes etc. Gym not great but quite private majority of times

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

I use crunch myself but I'll agree it is horrendous at peak hours when all the students are off.

I go in the morning when all the other students are asleep as the weights section is unusable after that, also the staff in the morning are very sound and there have been complaints on here about the staff later in the day.

Tbh the staff whether they are sound or not haven't a clue in there, I remember one morning I had to show one of the "Instructors" how to put one of the benches into a flat position from an upright one. The only thing those guys are good at in there is spinning!

Useful to know, I must join a gym when I get back from my travels (away for a month), so I can see myself spending lots of time figuring out which one to join based on everyone's input here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Thats about right, 4 of them have pools, radisson, nrg, kingfisher and leisureland. Leisureland u can only use pool at certain times i think coz of swim teaching and classes for clubs. and for classes I think you have to pay for classes at the kingfisher, that would definatel be the busiest gym aswell so now u only have to choose!!! :);):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

So far this is what responses I have got to thread...

Feel free to suggest any additions or corrections.

NRG - €55/month or €645/pa, w/pool

Peak Physique - €310/pa

Kingfisher - €575/pa, w/pool

Leisureland - €550/pa or €10/2 hour session, w/pool

Radisson - €975/pa, w/pool

Crunch (NUIG) - €235/pa (Non-student rate)

Olympic - €405/pa

Galway City Gym - €395/pa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Peak Physique - €310/pa

Olympic - €405/pa

Where are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway?
    Do a search, i've heard that Google is good for that sort of thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

snubbleste wrote: »
    Galway?
    Do a search, i've heard that Google is good for that sort of thing :)
    Or the phonebook/golden pages. Also good for these jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Where are they?

Are you asking someone to get you address for all those gyms?

Here ya go
    www.goldenpages.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Thanks a lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

So far this is what responses I have got to thread...

Feel free to suggest any additions or corrections.

Peak Physique - €310/pa

Leisureland - €550/pa or €10/2 hour session, w/pool

Radisson - €975/pa, w/pool

Crunch (NUIG) - €235/pa (Non-student rate)

Olympic - €405/pa

Crunch (NUIG) has different prices at the moment until they move to the new building in September, got a 4 month membership for €85 , one month was €50 so the 4 was better value.

Ardilaun Hotel is €465 per year w/pool [best value i've seen so far]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Crunch has different prices at the moment until they move to the new building in September, got a 4 month membership for €85 , one month was €50 so the 4 was better value.

How do you know they are moving to the new building? Has the tender winner been announced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you know they are moving to the new building? Has the tender winner been announced?

I don't know if Crunch is, but in General the GYM is to be open for September, all going well that is, at the time i was more concerned about it i got an annual membership would it be still valid in the new gym even if the management was changed,

BTW the new swimming pool is only 25M, ! Damn! i was hoping 50m + pool, :(

Advertisement