Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big One

Options
  • 09-10-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

OK guys, one of the biggest upgrades we've done to date is coming very soon. Thursday, in fact.

Its one of those upgrades where we (the people doing it) actually do very little - we type a few lines, and then wait while the computers do the hard work for hours and hours.

This is the hoped for plan of action :-)
    • Thursday, at about 11am, boards goes down briefly (We're doing a DB dump of the live database)
    • About 20-30 minutes later, it'll come back, but as read only. (We lock all the tables, so the dumped version doesn't get out of sync)
    • After about 2-3 hours, we'll have finished something internally, and you might get a brief outage. (We'll have copied the dump file onto the new DB server, and imported it, then we point all five webservers at it, away from Waldorf, which has been our DB server for a year or two.)
    • After another 2-3 hours, it'll come back online, but this time for good - we're hoping that this will be before 5pm. (Then we do the VB software upgrade to the latest version)
    We'll then be running a new DB server, which is the last remaining bottleneck... for now. If you heart the nerd, look here:
    Mem: 16634460k total, 7728300k used, 8906160k free, 32916k buffers

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
    Processor #0 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x04] enabled)
    Processor #4 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)
    Processor #1 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x05] enabled)
    Processor #5 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x05] lapic_id[0x02] enabled)
    Processor #2 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x06] lapic_id[0x06] enabled)
    Processor #6 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x07] lapic_id[0x03] enabled)
    Processor #3 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x08] lapic_id[0x07] enabled)
    Processor #7 6:15 APIC version 20

The ultimate aim of this is that by thursday evening, we'll have a nice fast site with no immediate bottlenecks (for a few months _at least_, even with our growth in traffic) and far less downtime in general. Oh, and I'm going to turn search back on for everyone, except mike65 :-)

Wish us luck!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Whoot, go on ya good things!
    regi wrote:
    OK guys, one of the biggest upgrades we've done to date is coming very soon. Thursday, in fact.

Its one of those upgrades where we (the people doing it) actually do very little - we type a few lines, and then wait while the computers do the hard work for hours and hours.

This is the hoped for plan of action :-)
    • Thursday, at about 11am, boards goes down briefly (We're doing a DB dump of the live database)
    • About 20-30 minutes later, it'll come back, but as read only. (We lock all the tables, so the dumped version doesn't get out of sync)
    • After about 2-3 hours, we'll have finished something internally, and you might get a brief outage. (We'll have copied the dump file onto the new DB server, and imported it, then we point all five webservers at it, away from Waldorf, which has been our DB server for a year or two.)
    • After another 2-3 hours, it'll come back online, but this time for good - we're hoping that this will be before 5pm. (Then we do the VB software upgrade to the latest version)
    We'll then be running a new DB server, which is the last remaining bottleneck... for now. If you heart the nerd, look here:
    Mem: 16634460k total, 7728300k used, 8906160k free, 32916k buffers

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
    Processor #0 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x04] enabled)
    Processor #4 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)
    Processor #1 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x05] enabled)
    Processor #5 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x05] lapic_id[0x02] enabled)
    Processor #2 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x06] lapic_id[0x06] enabled)
    Processor #6 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x07] lapic_id[0x03] enabled)
    Processor #3 6:15 APIC version 20
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x08] lapic_id[0x07] enabled)
    Processor #7 6:15 APIC version 20

The ultimate aim of this is that by thursday evening, we'll have a nice fast site with no immediate bottlenecks (for a few months _at least_, even with our growth in traffic) and far less downtime in general. Oh, and I'm going to turn search back on for everyone, except mike65 :-)

Wish us luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

VB upgrade and a new DB server. :) Good work lads. This is gonna be sweet. Is this the dual quad core, 16GB DB server you were talking about not too long ago?

Edit: I just read the spoiler text. *drool* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair play to you guys. Thanks for all the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh pretty

and also admin posting :eek:

call the vatican, or beter yet the non-believers here

cheers reg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heart4848.gif boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Way to ruin the thread layout biko! :(

Nice wan Regi. Fingers crossed the upgrade goes ahead without a hitch! So which version of vB are you upgrading to and which features will you be enabling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This will be a very welcome development once established. As always, regi, we thank you.
    and also admin posting :eek:

call the vatican, or beter yet the non-believers here

Is that directed at me? If so would you care to elaborate on the other thread rather than here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

G'wan the Regi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Awesome, I can get some work done on Thursday :D

This will be a very welcome development once established. As always, regi, we thank you.

Is that directed at me? If so would you care to elaborate on the other thread rather than here?

Thanks.
    No, relax, I know you know that admin are busy etc, and do actually pop up here.

If it was at you, I would have said so.

Crikey I don't want to row with someone

*hugs*

I didn't even think were on different pages in the the other thread

Sorry if offence taken, not intended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

When search comes back there will be another shift in the power of the internet. People will start to be able to reference others posts from yesteryear. Much awkwardness will result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Boston wrote:
    When search comes back there will be another shift in the power of the internet. People will start to be able to reference others posts from yesteryear. Much awkwardness will result.
    qft

*hugs*

And thus it was that a positive vibe was restored to de thread.

/hugs back

/drops the hand

/gets a thick ear and a telling off

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Woot!

Boston wrote:

Ah.

You'll be outed as the curmudgeonly wise one of Feedback.

I'll be outed as a pedantic git.

Nothing new there ;)

And thus it was that a positive vibe was restored to de thread.

/hugs back

/drops the hand

/gets a thick ear and a telling off

:D
    *giggles*

ah, its been a few days since I was felt up. I feel so loved right now.

pedantcism is fun. Esp when people don't know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Boston wrote:

The past is always present.

:p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,086 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

all sounds a bit too positive... wonders about the chances of something going horribly wrong during the operation and boards dying a painful death

beware the ides of march etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Boston wrote:

Ha, you can't get anything on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

PiP have you been to TCN yet?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! Fair play Regi and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

pedantcism is fun. Esp when people don't know what it means

i know what pedanticism means, is that related?

/i'll take hugs as well - just *had* to do the school-teacher thing with the spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Awesome. I picked a great day to be off work, regi will be slaving away over a hot server while I sleep - sounds like everything should be tip-top by the time I get out of bed :D

yes 6th I have

and *hugs* to the teacher mr. roundtower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

we should all sit around and have a mass sing of "danny boy" - it'd be fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Well I for one am not happy about this.
    I will be very hunover on thursday and now I'll have to look for something else to do that involves interacting with people I don't actually have to speak to.

Yay for the upgrade.
    Boo for the chosen day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its not good enough

*moan* *moan*

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know that one, but I'll sing this

"Sonny don't go away,
    I'm here all alone
    Your daddys a sailor
    never comes home

nights are soo long,
    and silence goes on
    I'm feeling so tired
    and not all that strong"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Grovelling gratitude here. Esp for search - although I'll believe it when etc.

So, youz are doing all this for choice so that us plebs can surf smoother? What's the catch? As Shortround said: "You gotta pay!".

I can keep my subscription (read confirmation) money in my pension fund? Win-win!

[old codger] 16 Gigs of RAM? You think that's bad? We had punched cards and blinkenlights! [/old codger]

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement