Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with NorwichFanRob

Options
  • 09-01-2007 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

1) What games are you currently playing? Levels?

2) Are you running well or badly in the last week or two?

3) Guinness drinker? How do you deal with the Guinness sh!ts the next day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

1) How has playing cash games regularly affected your tournament game?

2) Why Norwich?

3) Caprice of Cameron Diaz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

1) Are you playing full time now?

2)If so was it a tough decision - career/family wise etc?

3) Do you play many SnG's anymore or are you strictly cash games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

at what level did you start?

when do you decide to move up a level?

do u play holdem only, or anything else?

whats the best advice you have about varying your game away from basic ABC poker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Which is more profitable and less straining on the mind? Cash or tourneys? and is there much of a difference $$$ wise with either.

Oh and what have you treated yourself to from poker winnings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

RasTa wrote:
    Which is more profitable and less straining on the mind? Cash or STT's? and is there much of a difference $$$ wise with either.
    Rob has rarely lost $17k pots with AA in SNG's....just a guess :eek: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He also might have won some! I'll change it to tourneys, i.e getting knocked out of a big mtt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Why do you think you have been on such a good run for the last 6 months or so?

What do you think makes you better then the majority of players?

Do you think you will still be a pro in 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

What are your 2007 goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

who is the best player you have played against.
    who taught you to play first?
    best/worst moment in poker?
    your favourite weekly tournament?
    do you like the strawberry ice cream in the fitz?
    your biggest ever cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Do you think it's a bad idea to risk all your chips on a draw in a poker tournament, especially early in the the first few levels?

Several noted professionals have commented on how they fare better against stronger opposition. Do you find this is true for you?

Do you consider yourself a lucky player? If you think of the four or five biggest pots you've ever played in cash games -- or the most crucial points in tournaments -- have you been lucky or unlucky overall?

Do you know how to play mythical or klag? Would you like to play some time?

What table selection techniques do you use while playing online?

Suppose you are playing a heads up cash game with blinds €1-€2, and €200 stacks. You are on the small blind and you get dealt AK. While you are thinking about what to do you accidentally flip over your cards and your opponent sees them, however you are still allowed to play the hand. Should you go all in? Or fold and wait for a better spot? Would it ever be better to do something like raise to €7, just to mix up your play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

RoundTower wrote:
    Do you think it's a bad idea to risk all your chips on a draw in a poker tournament, especially early in the the first few levels?

etc

when are you planning on releasing the scores for this quiz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

lafortezza wrote:
    1) What games are you currently playing? Levels?

2) Are you running well or badly in the last week or two?

3) Guinness drinker? How do you deal with the Guinness sh!ts the next day?

currently playing 20/40 & 10/20 NL holdem cash on tribeca, 10/20 on betfair, very occasional 5/10 omaha, most of the big live events, and the big weekend multis such as stars million, rarely play STTs anymore, which were almost my sole game about 6 months ago.

December and January have been amazing, since i started playing 20/40 NL ive taken about 28k in 3 weeks from it.

Used to drink guinness, more of a lager man now these days, dont get hammered as much as i should (dont mention scarborough).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

how much money will you miss out on winning by answering all these questions?

Shortstack wrote:
    1) How has playing cash games regularly affected your tournament game?

2) Why Norwich?

3) Caprice of Cameron Diaz?

I think i tend not to care as much in online tourneys these days, i may be playing a 20/40 table at the same time !!!, i think the pot control elements ive been working hard on for cash has taking something from my tourney game, that said , i just won a multi there on tribeca about an hour ago :D

Always supported norwich, since about 1980, when i was 7, think it started cause i liked the colour of their tops.

Cameron, just, a marginal call, pretty much +ev either way.

tribulus wrote:
    1) Are you playing full time now?

2)If so was it a tough decision - career/family wise etc?

3) Do you play many SnG's anymore or are you strictly cash games?

playing full time since early nov, first few weeks were shaky, now its looking like a great decision.

was tough, i had a good job, but u only live once, im happier now, touch wood, eventually my results persuaded those close to me that i wasnt mad.

rarely play sng's anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I backed Norwich to win the league a few years ago when they were in 3rd spot. Shame they didn't win it.

You were knocked out early in Drogheda (1st ?). I noticed you stayed around chatting and taking the slagging. But it must have hurt. How bad? And how long before the pain melts?

How long was it before you were profitable at cash games on the internet? Immediately, or did you have to spend a long apprenticeship?

Do you treat poker like a job with fixed start and finish times?

Describe you PC ? Do you have millions of poker tables running at once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Feck, doesn't anyone ever sleep?

ditpoker wrote:
    at what level did you start?

when do you decide to move up a level?

do u play holdem only, or anything else?

whats the best advice you have about varying your game away from basic ABC poker?

started playing at 1/2 cash and in $50 sngs and small multis.
    first live game was 50+50 game in red cow. (the first ever one of these that was held)

slowly moved up, really only started to take off after i won 6k in the fitz last december 13 months ago.

98% holdem, 2% omaha.

at most levels, abc poker is profitable, as long as u have discipline, extreme patience and dont tilt, studying opponents is key, and getting a feel for them.
    i dont get hugely out of line in cash games, i made most of my money by catching a lot of bluffs, and control the pot in marginal hands.
    in tourneys , the key is a good gear change , and knowing when and how to up the ante from very tight to very aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

kincsem wrote:
    Feck, doesn't anyone ever sleep?
    sleep is -evs

RasTa wrote:
    Which is more profitable and less straining on the mind? Cash or tourneys? and is there much of a difference $$$ wise with either.

Oh and what have you treated yourself to from poker winnings?

cash is more profitable, and way more mind blowing....
    theres more to be won in cash, and with a solid game, i think u can win it more consistently.
    in tourneys, u can always get the big win, so to speak, but u always need to win a race or 2 along the way.

to be honest, most of it is in the bank, its like a buffer for me if anything goes wrong, to pay the mortgage etc, ive done up the house a bit, and had a few hols, i plan a lot more hols this year, maybe along the lines of 1 a month,

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote:
    Why do you think you have been on such a good run for the last 6 months or so?

What do you think makes you better then the majority of players?

Do you think you will still be a pro in 5 years?

ive put a lot of work and time into my game, ive play a lot of hours in all forms of poker, cash/tournies etc, and im always trying to learn and gain as much experience as people, reading boards and various blogs has helped a lot too, im quite patient, good at maths and generally focused when i play, i play well within my roll, and will stick it in if needs be.

i hope to still be a pro in 5 years, yes

think it started cause i liked the colour of their tops.
    thought i was the only one!

ocallagh wrote:
    What are your 2007 goals?

to try and do better than i did at last years wsop !!!
    to final table in a big live multi.
    to continue to build my roll and beat highish level cash games.
    to not have to work
    to have as much fun as possible and go some nice places.
    to continue to make a lot of good friends in the poker world.

who is the best player you have played against.
    who taught you to play first?
    best/worst moment in poker?
    your favourite weekly tournament?
    do you like the strawberry ice cream in the fitz?
    your biggest ever cash?

in all my time in the main event , the one guy who really stood out for me was an american called kevin o donnell, he was tough to play, he ended up coming about 30th, and has since won a big event in the mirage or somewhere, so i will say him.

i thought myself, i started playing every hand in 1/2, did 5 or 6k before i started turning it around, was a mega fish first 3 or 4 months.

best, was the whole world series experience, worst the moment on day 5 when i turned over my JJ and saw the other guys QQ.......like the end of the fairytale.

fav weekly tourney, hmm, i often play the 200 freezeout on tribeca at 11, i like that one, i used to love the old crypto 50k on a sunday, thats more or less gone now though.

never actually had that ice cream, will try it the next time.

biggest single cash $47,006 at wsop 2006. (ticket cost me $396 (198x2))

in all my time in the main event , the one guy who really stood out for me was an american called kevin o donnell, he was tough to play, he ended up coming about 30th, and has since won a big event in the mirage or somewhere, so i will say him.

i thought myself, i started playing every hand in 1/2, did 5 or 6k before i started turning it around, was a mega fish first 3 or 4 months.

best, was the whole world series experience, worst the moment on day 5 when i turned over my JJ and saw the other guys QQ.......like the end of the fairytale.

fav weekly tourney, hmm, i often play the 200 freezeout on tribeca at 11, i like that one, i used to love the old crypto 50k on a sunday, thats more or less gone now though.

never actually had that ice cream, will try it the next time.

biggest single cash $47,006 at wsop 2006. (ticket cost me $396 (198x2))
    sounds incredible.
    whats your favourite live tournament?
    strawberry ice cream is horrible there!
    that only just beats my biggest cash. i once won 45$ in a 10$ SnG, but im sure the luck will turn for you...

RoundTower wrote:

Several noted professionals have commented on how they fare better against stronger opposition. Do you find this is true for you?

Do you consider yourself a lucky player? If you think of the four or five biggest pots you've ever played in cash games -- or the most crucial points in tournaments -- have you been lucky or unlucky overall?

Do you know how to play mythical or klag? Would you like to play some time?

What table selection techniques do you use while playing online?

Suppose you are playing a heads up cash game with blinds €1-€2, and €200 stacks. You are on the small blind and you get dealt AK. While you are thinking about what to do you accidentally flip over your cards and your opponent sees them, however you are still allowed to play the hand. Should you go all in? Or fold and wait for a better spot? Would it ever be better to do something like raise to €7, just to mix up your play?

in genreal yes, i dont like to risk it on a draw early on, as i feel i can get chips together without having to take a major gamble when i know i will need to improve.

i do way better at 20/40 cash than ive ever done at any other level, and i almost never win my local home game with my limpy calling stations mates, take from that what u will.

i cant recall many if any of the major pots/hand ive won where i have required an outdraw, perhaps im lucky in the sense that i get a lot of good starting hands/flops, but i dont usually put it in behind. As regards races, i win some, lose some, dont really have any idea of a %. Most of the biggest pots ive lost are where ive put it in with a flush vs a set and boards paired or a set vs a flush draw and its hit.

no idea how to play mythical or klag

my table selection is based solely on looking at the players names, and picking the table that looks softest, from my memory and player notes.

hard question to answer, HU id always take my chances with AK pre flop, whoever in this case the villain will never call with a dominated ace, perhaps just call and see a flop and wait for a better spot unless u hit it really hard.

kincsem wrote:
    I backed Norwich to win the league a few years ago when they were in 3rd spot. Shame they didn't win it.

You were knocked out early in Drogheda (1st ?). I noticed you stayed around chatting and taking the slagging. But it must have hurt. How bad? And how long before the pain melts?

How long was it before you were profitable at cash games on the internet? Immediately, or did you have to spend a long apprenticeship?

Do you treat poker like a job with fixed start and finish times?

Describe you PC ? Do you have millions of poker tables running at once?

anytime i back norwich they lose, so now i have stopped jinxing them.
    (not that that has helped)

6 months before i started winning at 6 pacs on betfair, its only in the last 3 or 4 months im conistently winning at cash games, i have changed my game a lot recently to achieve that.

it is a job , but i just kinda play when i feel like it, i often dont get up too early, and its not that unusual for me to be up messing alone at like 6am, case in point its 5.52am now.

i cant play more than 3 tables , i find 3 tough, 2 i can do, i put a lot of focus and concentration in when i do play, i hate having too many on the go

was a bit embarrased at first to be first out in drogheda, had looked forward to that game for ages, but i dont think i really did a huge amount wrong , and i think most people realised it was just one of those things, i wanted to stay and see how several other people fared, i actually enjoy watching live poker at big events after i am out.......i spent the weekend in the cash games there keep an eye on the main event, and ended up doing about as well as if i had come 5th, so all in all, was still a great weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

how many hands of 20/40 have you played?

do you think you have an edge on the regulars,eg geeforce1,letsgamble,alias,draped up,etc?

robinlacey wrote:
    how many hands of 20/40 have you played?

do you think you have an edge on the regulars,eg geeforce1,letsgamble,alias,draped up,etc?

ive only been playing it for a few weeks, and have probably been running well, but i knew most of there styles, and my style is quite different and unique in a lot of ways, i think it frustrates them somewhat, perhaps they will adapt and things will change, we will see.

ive played with all 4 of the above quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

interesting
    i tend not to bother playing if there's too many regulars,i don't think many of them make too many mistakes but i play on loads of sites so that i can be ruthless about game selection so i've never studied their games in depth or anything

Advertisement