Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops €299 tesco

Options
  • 27-07-2006 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Tesco are giving 50% back on all computer purchases this weekend.

So their basic laptop is €599 and you get 299.50 back in clubcard vouchers in November.
    Similarly with the 799 laptop - you get 399.50 back in November and also applies to the desktop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are clubcard vouchers redeemable for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

You happen to have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

timeout wrote:
    You happen to have a link?
    ^^
    what he said:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

CiaranC wrote:
    Are clubcard vouchers redeemable for cash?

Nope. You can only use in Tesco. Also not all vouchers are usable on everything.

There was another thread earlier about tesco computers and the consensus was that they aren't that much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

not at €600 but at €300 they are more attractive alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

advert was in todays Irish Independent

Starts tomorrow

Systems are basic enough - what do you expect for 599 / 799

€599 desk system 299.50 clubcard vouchers back
    160gb hd
    64mb graphics
    modem
    15.4 screen
    dvdrw drive
    512mb ram

599 laptop - 299.50 clubcard vouchers back
    256mb
    40gb hd
    15.4 screen
    dvdrw combo
    modem
    wireless card
    4usb ports

799 laptop - 399.50 clubcard back
    512mb
    40gb hdd
    dvdrw combo
    printer
    wireless card
    mouse
    carry case

clubcard vouchers can be used as cash against virtually all products. The exceptions are Cigs & stamps & vouchers.

starts tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dunno, 300 would get you a fairly solid second hand IBM or HP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Half the value of a computer is the warranty you get with it. a second computer would not be covered for 1-3 years, what ever the warranty is in this case

MarVeL wrote:
    not at €600 but at €300 they are more attractive alright

However what you are doing is giving Tesco 600 euro and they give you 300 back in vouchers which you can only use in thier store.

It is about as much as a bargain as a mail in rebate. IMHO.
    Systems are basic enough - what do you expect for 599 / 799

Like I said its not much of a bargain. You are basically getting what you pay for. Someone mentioned the laptops are using SMG cards, which is crap unless all you plan to use the laptop for is non-graphic type applications.

Hobbes wrote:
    However what you are doing is giving Tesco 600 euro and they give you 300 back in vouchers which you can only use in thier store.

It is about as much as a bargain as a mail in rebate. IMHO.

Like I said its not much of a bargain. You are basically getting what you pay for. Someone mentioned the laptops are using SMG cards, which is crap unless all you plan to use the laptop for is non-graphic type applications.

Might get one for my mother...she just wants to surf the net and maybe play some online poker. Do you reckon that any of them will manage that?

Besides she shops in Tesco so they 300 in vouchers will be spent alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

if I buy this laptop (and lets face it, its hard to resist) and aim to use it for my small business, will i be instantly sorry that I didn't get a microsoft business package as MS works 8.5 won't be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Kelter wrote:
    if I buy this laptop (and lets face it, its hard to resist) and aim to use it for my small business, will i be instantly sorry that I didn't get a microsoft business package as MS works 8.5 won't be enough?

yes, as you could probably use it fine yourself however most other companies wouldn't have works also if other companies send you docs you could get into trouble. there is however free word and excel viewers that you can download though

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'd agree that this wouldn't really be a good buy for a business. but for a student who is going to use it (purportedly) for course work and a bit of browsing it is a very good price. It even comes with 6 weeks groceries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

the vouchers u get can also be used in tesco petrol station....thats alot of petrol :D

the vouchers u get can also be used in tesco petrol station....thats alot of petrol :D

not the way prices are going!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Is it possible to add 256MB RAM to the E599 machine (rather than having to buy the E799 machine)?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

@fisab

My question exactly. The extra RAM is all I need, as I already have a printer and mouse (I'm sure a carry case could be sourced easily enough) so the cheaper laptop appears logical. My only concern is the extra RAM, where do I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What make are the laptops and do any of the laptops have Windows XP Media Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Kelter wrote:
    Works almost certainly won't be enough. However OpenOffice might suit your needs, assuming you don't need to use Access for any particular reason. Costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hobbes wrote:
    Nope. You can only use in Tesco. Also not all vouchers are usable on everything.

There was another thread earlier about tesco computers and the consensus was that they aren't that much of a bargain.

The points vouchers can be used for anything in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Do you have to join tescos and get a club card before the weekend in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

mcaul wrote:
    Tesco are giving 50% back on all computer purchases this weekend.

Is the 50% just on the computers or does it also apply to accessories such as ink and all the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

The laptops are Iqon laptops , ( tied with Philips)

None of em have Windows MCE , as asked above , MCE would be rare on a laptop. They all have XP home edition.
    You get no CD , instead there is a partition thats hidden and XP can be restored or repaired from that. You can burn a CD from it too if you want to.

The ram can be got from komplett ,
    Its this type ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122445
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=116453

I know cos I have one , its the cheaper one and I got it to the same spec as the more expensive one for about 80 euro. Putting the extra ram in was a piece of cake , all you need is a crosspoint jewellers screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Andy 1249,

Would you recommend it? Did you run into any trouble with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

not really worth buying the extra ram for 80euro then? considering after the rebate the difference is only 100 euro and you get the printer and case thrown in..

The points vouchers can be used for anything in Tesco.

Those maybe but not all points vouchers do. The missus gets a load in the mail and some are straight cash conversion while others expect you to buy certain goods.
    Do you have to join tescos and get a club card before the weekend in that case?

It shouldn't matter. As long as you have the reciept they can add the points later, but check with them beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Hobbes wrote:
    ..... Someone mentioned the laptops are using SMG cards, which is crap unless all you plan to use the laptop for is non-graphic type applications.

The majority of PC users do not play games. Well other than solitare at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

popey21 wrote:
    Half the value of a computer is the warranty you get with it. a second computer would not be covered for 1-3 years, what ever the warranty is in this case

Thats true but it might be 90 days as you see on some of the dells now. To be honest trying to get places to honor their warranty is hard enough these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Consumer law states that warrenty must be for 12 months for new goods. How do Dell get around that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Possibly selling them as refurbished items in their outlet store.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement