Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mushrooms have just been made Illegal in Ireland

Options
  • 31-01-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭

In the last half hour, Nature has been criminalised on the emerald Isle, the Nanny state has decreed that they are too dangerous for us idiot citizens, perhaps we should all go out and play hurling or go mountaineering or go for a nice healthy walk even though those wholesome activities have killed and injured more people than magic mushrooms ever have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

do they not grow here???

hows that gonna work???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Akrasia wrote:
    In the last half hour, Nature has been criminalised on the emerald Isle, the Nanny state has decreed that they are too dangerous for us idiot citizens, perhaps we should all go out and play hurling or go mountaineering or go for a nice healthy walk even though those wholesome activities have killed and injured more people than magic mushrooms ever have.

Yeah it'll affect hundreds of thousands of people across the land. The farmers will stop farming and sun won't rise tommorw.

"Hey, they've made fresh mushies illegal"
    "Sh!te. Hey isn't that the Seven Horsemen of the Apocalypse over there?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

they're illegal for sale or posession, I presume they're not illegal if they grow in your garden as long as you don't pick them. I don't know what the deal with grow kits is though but they're still legal to sell in the U.K. so they're probably ok here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'm not into mushrooms and I'd don't see the point in taking them or any other drug, but they should just have imposed a mandatory 18 year old rule on them. I guarantee you there will now be more deaths from people taking mushrooms they get on the black market from dealers or by mistakenly eating poisonous ones / toadstools that they pick themselves. At least the shops had control over what was sold and warned people not to mix them with alcohol. This is pure electioneering by the Govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Cool, now I can get that sexy illicit rush when I take my mushrooms knowing that its illegal.

• Advertisement

base2 wrote:
    Cool, now I can get that sexy illicit rush when I take my mushrooms knowing that its illegal.
    it was already illegal to take them, just not to have them or sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Its never illegal to take drugs. Just to be in possesion of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Akrasia wrote:

Where did you hear/read about this, Akrasia?

it was on liveline today, yesterday they devoted the whole show to magic mushrooms after an angry parent called in because her 15 year old daughter had a bad trip so Mary Hearney decided to make them illegal today and she seems to have timed her decision to give liveline the exclusive. It's blatant electioneering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt the law passed through in the "last half hour", the decision may have been made.
    Akrasia wrote:
    I don't know what the deal with grow kits is though but they're still legal to sell in the U.K. so they're probably ok here as well
    Depends on what you mean by grow kit. If you mean a kit with spores and sterile grain then yes it is legal (still grey area). If you mean a ready colonised kit you add water to then no it is certainly illegal. They sold them here and they were technically illegal here since they were dehydrated, nothing was done about that AFAIK.
    Kits with spores are a grey area since it is can be seen as intent to manufacture. A spore seller in the US was busted since he had grow information on his site, others say the spores are for study with a microscope only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

So we had a fairly workable situation with mushrooms being sold via vendors in Dublin and Cork to people going to festivals, house parties, rural meet ups etc. One gob****e throws himself off a building and bang! Harney's on the political capital prohibition bandwagon again.
    result? : More money for Dublin based gangsters to move in on the scene.
    Everybody's happy. Harney, Ahern....Politicians in general, The Gardai, the Gangsters and that big ego guy who writes books on them who's name escapes me.

The mexican truffles were great :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Excellent -- more merchandise for drug-dealers to make money from!

What's the government's response when it's put to them that alcohol and cigarettes kill thousands every year?

F*cking imbeciles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I would have thought that allowing the current situation to grow a little bit, would have been wise on the part of the government. They didn't have to legalise anything as it was already legal, so it could have served almost as a test case for potential future relaxation of cannabis laws.

Having said that, MMs probably have a less broad appeal - so therefore fewer people would be interested in taking them - but also a far greater social stigma - associated with hallucinations in general.

It never seemed like a tenable situation in Ireland though, where the Late Late Show demographic still holds most of the influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I agree !!! I heard that the family of the guy who jumped off a balcony went up to Mary Harney with some mushies and said "Look, these things killed my brother, will you ban them?" And she did just that.

Can I bring her into a car dealer/pub/tobacconist and say "Look, my brother was killed by these things, will you ban them???"

I think not. Typical bloody kneejerk reaction.

Meant to say I agree with DavemcG... sorry, I'm brand new!!! But you know what I mean anyway...

And anyway, anyone know the legalities of the Big Mama being able to just up and say "this is now illegal" Shouldn't there have been a debate in the Dail? Or was there one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/01/31/story242538.html

i think its completely disgracefull, i also think that Mary fúck face Harney is using this issue to cover the fact that she lost €56 million out of her health budget through "day to day spending"

no-one takes in to account the reported 4 BOTTLES OF WINE the man drank that same night

proven by many doctors to cause depression....

2 + 2 people!!!!

2 + 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I thought this hadnt come in just yet?

I was gonna get and stock up on em before Id have to wait for mushy season again!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/01/31/story242538.html
    Sale of magic mushrooms outlawed
    31/01/2006 - 15:19:45

The sale of magic mushrooms in the state is set to be completely outlawed today following the closure of a legal loophole.

The hallucinogenic fungi have been linked to the death of a man in Dublin and have been the subject of a High Court action by a shop owner in Cork.

Tánaiste and Minister for Health Mary Harney is now set to introduce a regulation under the Misuse of Drugs Act to make it illegal to sell them in their raw state.

“She brought it to cabinet this morning to seek Government approval on it, and it’s a matter then of signing the regulation. It’ll be effective immediately,” said a spokesman.

Under the current legislation, it is illegal to sell magic mushrooms if they are processed but not if they are in their raw state.

Around 50 shops in Ireland currently sell magic mushrooms but they will now have to remove them from their shelves to comply with the law.

Last week, Helen Stone, who runs the Funky Skunk shop in Cork City, failed to get a High Court order stopping customs officers from seizing shipments of unprocessed magic mushrooms that she wanted to sell in her store.

But Ms Justice Mary Laffoy said there was a fair issue to be tried and said she would give an early date for a hearing of the case.

There was further controversy about magic mushrooms last year, when a man in his 30s from Dun Laoghaire died after allegedly taking them and jumping out of the balcony at his apartment.

His family believe the magic mushrooms were a factor in his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

whats going to happen to our beloved "head shop" here in galway that sell them.... poor guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

no-one takes in to account the reported 4 BOTTLES OF WINE the man drank that same night
    I didn't even hear that. Is it true? Linky?

Goodshape wrote:
    I didn't even hear that. Is it true? Linky?
    i had a link for it in one of the previous discussions about this in afterhrs but im banned from there so i cant get it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Typical, FF/PD bowing to the public pressure of a few in order to win a few quick votes. Not even a thought to how this will drive a comparatively harmless activity into some thing underground and criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Quick question, how does the tainiste make this illegal? with "immediate effect"?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0131/mushrooms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has she signed the thing yet or what? nothing says it has been passed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

dathi1 wrote:
    So we had a fairly workable situation with mushrooms being sold via vendors in Dublin and Cork to people going to festivals, house parties, rural meet ups etc. One gob****e throws himself off a building and bang! Harney's on the political capital prohibition bandwagon again.
    result?
    Damn straight, you took the words right out of my mouth.

How many alcohol-related deaths have we had in the state so far this year?

it appears i was wrong was looking for an article for it and i found this, this said he was only drinking cans.... i feel like a right idiot now

http://www.dublinpeople.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=683&Itemid=49
    trying to think where i got 4 bottles of wine out of think it was the sky news website

edit: oooooh yes it was a similar situation with a man who had just drank 4 bottles of wine and jumped off a building thinking he could fly it was on the sky news website.... yet wine is still readily available in shops.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Typical, FF/PD bowing to the public pressure of a few in order to win a few quick votes. Not even a thought to how this will drive a comparatively harmless activity into some thing underground and criminal.

The funny thing is that there is no real public pressure, just a family and the usual suspects.

So gangsters get another drug to deal in, businesses in Dublin, Cork, etc. have lost their main source of revenue (:D) and all because one guy jumped off a building. According to friends he took less than the recommended dosage; have any toxoligy reports confirmed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

nosmo wrote:
    Quick question, how does the tainiste make this illegal? with "immediate effect"?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0131/mushrooms.html

"psycho active", makes it sound like the mushrooms wear balaclavas and tote guns :D

this is stupid. the bloody things grow WILD , whatll happen if some gob****e eats toadstools along with this, will the farmer whos land it is be held responsible for growing an illeagal substance:rolleyes:

honnestly, there WILL be more dead people in A&E at the end of this week from alcohol than EVER died on mushrooms:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

so ONE guy died, its tragic but people in this country die from eating PEANUTS ! , does that mean we should ban SNICKERS bars:confused: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Another example of the backwards world we live in. Absolutey disgraceful and just shows how clueless our government and general public can be.

On the other hand, I'll enjoy growing more potent ones(Columbian) from a kit again and selling them at double the price because I can.

Advertisement