Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a gun licence

Options
  • 23-11-2004 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

First post here.

I am getting a .22 rifle from my uncle in the uk who sells guns. Can anyone please tell me the procedure on how to get a licence. He will not ship it to me until I have a licence.

Do I have to go see the super?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

:eek:
    Just keep it away from the animals hon! lolol
    ;)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Short version: go to your local Garda Station, tell them you would like to apply for a rifle licence.

Stuff you'll need:

A reason why you want a rifle (i.e. hunting or target shooting).

Evidence of the above, i.e. a letter(s) of permission from landowner(s) that you have permission to shoot on their land or membership of a shooting club.

Details of the rifle: description (make & bolt action/semi-automatic), serial number, calibre. These should be on a letter from the person you are getting the rifle from - usually of the form:

I intend to sell/transfer the following firearm:
    CZ bolt action .22lr rifle
    Serial # 721566
    to Joe Bloggs of Anytown, Anycounty

- signed John Smith, Someplace, Somewhere

Date: xx/xx/xx

It's a very good plan to have secure storage organised, in other words a gun cabinet. Strictly speaking you don't need it yet to get a licence, but this is soon changing, and they also make an awful lot of sense. It also demonstrates you have a responsible mindset.

The procedure at the station is you'll probably be referred to the Garda at the station who deals with firearms licencing. It's a good plan to ring up in advance so you'll have a better chance of finding him/her there. It might even be possible to arrange an appointment. The Garda will have a chat with you, get the relevant details and enter them on a form which you will then sign. The Garda will make the appropriate inquiries, then indicate on the form whether in their opinion you should be granted a certificate. This then lands on the superintendent's desk for sign-off.

Hopefully some weeks (the length can vary) after filling out the form, you get a letter/phone call from the Gardai telling you to come in, collect your licence and pay €38 for it.

That's about as simple as I can make it, if you have more detailed enquiries, myself or someone else here should make a decent stab at answering them.

FranknFurter, don't suppose you have anything useful to contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What civdef said :D

(With a scan of the form you fill in and some other bits and pieces)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

civdef wrote:
    Hopefully some weeks (the length can vary) after filling out the form, you get a letter/phone call from the Gardai telling you to come in, collect your licence and pay €30 for it.

That's about as simple as I can make it, if you have more detailed enquiries, myself or someone else here should make a decent stab at answering them.
    It's actually €38 and the license year runs from 1st August to 30th July, if you want to save €38 apply around April/May - it can take up to three months to get said license.

The letter from your uncle must have the serial number as well.

Unless your uncle brings it here, you'll need an importation order, or a friendly gun dealer here to take delivery of the rifle for you.

A letter from a club confirming you are a member is sufficient to prove membership. Landowner must have reasonable landholding, 50 acres upwards is a good rule of thumb.

It's actually €38 and the license year runs from 1st August to 30th July, if you want to save €38 apply around April/May - it can take up to three months to get said license.

The letter from your uncle must have the serial number as well

Mea culpa rrpc, I've edited my post to correct these mistakes. The last time I wrote one of those letters it was in £, hence my confusion :)

If Bond-007 gets his licence first, he won't need an import licence though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I would also purchase a gun cabinet/ safe, apart from the proposed legal requirment it gives you peace of mind in relation to access to the sports equipment by children and "others"

civdef wrote:
    If Bond-007 gets his licence first, he won't need an import licence though.
    True, though there shouldn't be a problem in getting an import licence for a .22 rifle anyway though civ, from all I've been hearing, the problems are all being encountered by people bringing in pistols, rather than rifles.

(And well said to both civdef and les45 - a gun safe is really a must-have).

All import licences at the moment are subject to long delays I'm being told. This is resulting in hassle getting some of the less common calibres of ammuniton, among other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for all the help. My local cop shop is a small affair will I need to call to the main station where the super is?

Can yee suggest a good club club for traget shooting in the Laois area to join please? Is Targetshooting Ireland a proper club for the purposes of the Gardai?

Thanks

Bond-007 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help. My local cop shop is a small affair will I need to call to the main station where the super is?
    Not usually, each station would have one garda who handles the firearms licencing, and he'll forward on the application, usually with his recommendation (the idea being that he'd know you better than the super who could be miles away).
    Can yee suggest a good club club for traget shooting in the Laois area to join please?
    Laois? Bugger, no idea :(
    Anyone else?

• Advertisement

The closest rifle club to Laois is the Midland Rifle Club in Blueball, Co. Offaly, it's only a couple of miles over the border :)

Probably the best rifle range in the country, for what it's worth.

Good grief. My incredible geographic knowlege outed...
    (I remain one of the few people who managed to get lost going from the Pearse Street DART station to Trinity College...)

(Humour aside, civ's right in that the MRC is one of the best rifle ranges in the country - though I'd only say it's the best one from the fullbore point of view, since Comber has a better claim on the smallbore title - and that will be challanged by Rathdrum's new range in a few months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 der55

Hi there, Would I need a licence to import an M1 GARAND (BLANK FIRING RIFLE) from the U.K.? I'll be using it for WW2 hobby/living history/re-enacting

der55

In short, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Bond-007

Regarding importing the rifle. I would suggest you get it shipped to a dealer in Ireland. It would be less trouble for them to sort the paperwork. I imported a centre fire rifle from UK last year. It took 2 months of battling with the Depart. of Trade & Industry (DTI) in London before they would issue the permit on the strength of my Article 7 (which under EU law is aqequate). Dept Of Justice (Dublin) might try & tell you that you need them to issue you an Article 11. You don't. You only need your Super to issue you an Article 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

der55 wrote:
    Hi there, Would I need a licence to import an M1 GARAND (BLANK FIRING RIFLE) from the U.K.? I'll be using it for WW2 hobby/living history/re-enacting

Authorizeation should do it. Dont need anything for the PFC caps ones im told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 viva_zapata74

hi all,

I am a passionate archer and I am looking to give a go at pistols too. Any idea if there's a shooting range in the Cork area that would allow an absolute beginner?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

hi all,

I am a passionate archer and I am looking to give a go at pistols too. Any idea if there's a shooting range in the Cork area that would allow an absolute beginner?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Try Fermoy Rifle Club http://www.fermoyrifleclub.com/
    They have a nice range setup for rifle and pistol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 viva_zapata74

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

hi just wondering for hunting purposes and target practice,is there any good gun clubs in tallaght?:confused:

gun and rod in tymon is all i can think of!not sure what they do exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I think you are refering to Tallaght Rod and Gun - the shop in Tymon north. They are a gun dealers and fishing supplies store. Not a rifle/gun range or club (AFAIK)

If you are interested in either getting into shooting or already are shooting, but would like to join a range then here is a list of ranges/clubs. Its a little outdated from the point that there may be a few more now, but it is still a good starting point.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DeniseandGeoff

Hi,
    We hope to be moving to galway in the near future. I have my shotgun certificate here in Wales, so when we move I will store my shotguns in the UK until I get the paperwork sorted in Ireland.

I would love to have a proper rifle .22 centre or rim fire for rabbits something bigger for fox control. I have read a few of the threads but I am still confused, if I use the reason of target practise and join a target club, could i then use the rifle for hunting ?

Thanks in advance for any replies
    Cheers
    Geoff

Welcome.

Yes is the short answer. The FCA1 (our application form for firearms) asks for the "primary" use of the firearm. This does not mean the sole use of the firearm. As with a person that has a firearm for hunting. If they join a range or club, then are still entitled to use that firearm for target shooting.

All you need is the land permissions afterwards and you will be set for a bit of hunting.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DeniseandGeoff

Thanks for the v quick reply Ezridax, that was a great help, good to see over the water they can still trust people with firearms, not like the draconian laws of the UK, just another tick in the box for the plus in the move to the lovely Emerald Isle
    Cheers
    Geoff

No hassle.

We have our fair share of strict laws, but once "good reason" is provided there is very little you cannot do or get.

Any other questions don't hesitate to stick up a post/thread.

Best of luck.

Ez.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

hi i was wondering where the closest gun range in clare ireland
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

Hi,
    Does anybody know if they’re granting .22 pistol licenses in North Kildare??
    Has any been granted recently??
    Cheers.

G.G.H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

civdef wrote: »
    The closest rifle club to Laois is the Midland Rifle Club in Blueball, Co. Offaly, it's only a couple of miles over the border :)

Probably the best rifle range in the country, for what it's worth.

This thread is like watching Reeling in the Years :D:D

Sparks did not know where Laois was back then, I hope his Geography has improved :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bestin the west

can you get a gun linceess in a mobile home

• Advertisement

can you get a gun linceess in a mobile home
    Short answer - yes.
    Long answer - yes, but if it's for anything other than an unrestricted shotgun, you will have to make provision for secure storage elsewhere.
    Longer answer - technically yes, but good luck getting the local Super to sign off on it as the local CPO probably won't because of the secure storage element.

Advertisement