Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

amkin25 wrote: »
    I hope you're right about Conor being co main event,makes sense just didn't pick that up anywhere.

I dont know if hes officially confirmed as co main i think he is? But it is anyway thats why he as doing the Q&A /Media Events with Jones & DC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

ASOT wrote: »
    I dont know if hes officially confirmed as co main i think he is? But it is anyway thats why he as doing the Q&A /Media Events with Jones & DC!

I think the Q&A was because it obviously had the most interest after Jones,Cormier but Cruz was still being left as co main i thought.

They wouldn't do a Q&A with Cruz as his opponent isn't really as well known as Poirer and Conor possibly,i can't really answer for sure the logic in it not being the co main event,but on the UFC website Cruz was marked down as co main up until recently enough,with Conor being the first or second fight on the main card.

amkin25 wrote: »
    I think the Q&A was because it obviously had the most interest after Jones,Cormier but Cruz was still being left as co main i thought.

They wouldn't do a Q&A with Cruz as his opponent isn't really as well known as Poirer and Conor possibly,i can't really answer for sure the logic in it not being the co main event,but on the UFC website Cruz was marked down as co main up until recently enough,with Conor being the first or second fight on the main card.

Yeah im not sure its confirmed yet anyway, but MMA Fighting seem to think it will be the co main aswell! http://www.mmafighting.com/fight/4122/conor-mcgregor-vs-dustin-poirier

"UFC featherweight star Conor McGregor was present at the UFC Media Day in New York yesterday, where he discussed a variety of topics including his co-main event against Dustin Poirier at UFC 178."

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Bollox, was really looking forward to this. Would've stayed up for the whole thing. Now I just hope Conor's fight happens early as possible on the card so I can go to bed straight after. I rarely stay up to watch cards anymore I just watch them the next day while avoiding spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Id rather see jones v gus and cormier take care if his knee and fight the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

All the momentum the UFC has built up over the last while is being eroded big time. It is back to the usual routine of huge fights that people want to see being scrapped. Johnson vs Cariaso is a fight that should never happen never mind headlining the most stacked card in a looong time. Anticlimax was the word used before and that is exactly what it is. Still a great card, crap main event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

adamski8 wrote: »
    Id rather see jones v gus and cormier take care if his knee and fight the winner.

It is Jones who has injured his leg though. Gustafsson is still not fit to fight due to an injured knee.

Funnily enough, Cormier is the only one out of the 3 that is not sidelined with a leg injury!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

And coming into this whole thing, he was the one who had a knee injury! He was scheduled to have surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And coming into this whole thing, he was the one who had a knee injury! He was scheduled to have surgery!

Ah right, wasn't aware of that, just read up on it there and see that Cormier has a partial ACL tear, which is a serious enough injury. Apologies adamski8 for correcting you when you were in fact correct.

Fair play to the guy for being willing to fight Jones with a partial ACL tear, perhaps a case of more guts than brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Most fighters carry some kind of injury. No one goes in 100% and as far as injuries go a partial ACL tear is not the worst. Granted Jones did say he will target DCs knees.

I know people who have fought with no ACLs. Its really depends on the person and how they adapt to the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Aw man!!!! Well I know johnson is the champ but conor vs dustin is a much more interesting fight.

in your opinion. a championship fight is always greater than a normal fight. that's mine and it appears the UFCs also

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

evil_seed wrote: »
    in your opinion. a championship fight is always greater than a normal fight. that's mine and it appears the UFCs also

Obviously and I would bet UFC think it too but no way you couldn't have a title fight fight behind a non title fight.

evil_seed wrote: »

I would pick any other fight on the 178 main card ahead of watching MM vs Cariaso. That is not a slight on the Flyweights, it is a slight on Cariaso. He has no business being in the cage with MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sure before this, MM v Cariaso was a Co-Main that they weren't even promoting in the ads. There was an ad that advertised Dillashaw v Barao & Jones v Cormier as two big title fights in the space of a month. No mention of the 125 belt. Now all of a sudden it's the headliner?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

Mousasi v Jacare 2 would be a better new UFC 178 main event instead of the Fight Night they're in soon.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sure before this, MM v Cariaso was a Co-Main that they weren't even promoting in the ads. There was an ad that advertised Dillashaw v Barao & Jones v Cormier as two big title fights in the space of a month. No mention of the 125 belt. Now all of a sudden it's the headliner?

I would rather it stay on the 177 card, 178 is stacked to the absolute rafters while 177 is looking like a fightnight card below Barao Vs Dillashaw (Still looks like a great night of fights though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ASOT wrote: »
    Gus says now that this is put back he wants to be back reinstated because he is the #1 contender, which to be honest he has a point.

"Alexander Gustafsson
    39 minutes ago
    I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????
    Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!"

I am calling it now. January 3rd 2015 UFC will have the first ever 3 WAY DANCE for the LHW title :pac:

gimmick wrote: »
    I am calling it now. January 3rd 2015 UFC will have the first ever 3 WAY DANCE for the LHW title :pac:

And 2 of them will still get injured!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gustafsson not getting the rematch is a complete joke.

Gustafsson not getting the rematch is a complete joke.

Has it been confirmed he wont yet? I know hes campaigning for it now. Its the fairest option lets me honest he is the number one contender, but i could see the UFC being wary incase he beats Jones and the hype of Jones/DC is gone then!

• Advertisement

How is Gus not getting a rematch a joke? He had his shot and got injured, while DC is still ready to go. It would hardly be fair fecking DC over because Jones got injured.

Davei141 wrote: »
    How is Gus not getting a rematch a joke? He had his shot and got injured, while DC is still ready to go. It would hardly be fair fecking DC over because Jones got injured.

Both Jones and Gustafsson should be healed and ready to fight at the same time. It was originally his fight to begin with. DC was replacing him cause of the injury. Now that Jones is injured, there's no need to replace him. They can both just wait.

Both Jones and Gustafsson should be healed and ready to fight at the same time. It was originally his fight to begin with. DC was replacing him cause of the injury. Now that Jones is injured, there's no need to replace him. They can both just wait.

So screw over the only guy that has been reliable in all this? Gus still gets his shot, just after DC.

Davei141 wrote: »
    So screw over the only guy that has been reliable in all this? Gus still gets his shot, just after DC.

How is he getting screwed over? He wasn't meant to fight for the title in the first place. Was doing a favor by stepping up and replacing AG.

Make him fight Johnson or something in the mean time

What's DJ on about??
    Bad: You'll have to wait a bit longer to see me win again. Good: I'm the new UFC 178 headliner. Bout time that card gets a real main event.

:confused::confused::confused:

What's DJ on about??

He has to say it i suppose, to try build some hype because it will be non existent for his fight. Conor will make some much money promoting the **** out of this now, i assume he will head the media front!!

Its just such a pointless match, are the odds up yet? Im expecting 1/10 minimum for DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

He's making a joke. It's lighthearted and not meant to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

What's DJ on about??

I'd be fairly sure that'd be a bit of sarcasm on his part.

I was thinking that but sounded weird as a joke, ah whatever. Like Stuffins said, went from one of the most anticipated fights of the year to the absolute least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Still looking at getting over to this, has anyone looked into the cheapest way of getting to Vegas?

Advertisement