Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Michael Schumacher, on 29th August, 2004 -- ten years ago to the day -- raced to his seventh and last world championship triumph.He wrapped up his 7th title this day ten years ago.I wonder how many people remembered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

robinwing wrote: »
    Michael Schumacher, on 29th August, 2004 -- ten years ago to the day -- raced to his seventh and last world championship triumph.He wrapped up his 7th title this day ten years ago.I wonder how many people remembered ?

Doesn't seem like ten years. :)

Corinna replied personally to young fan:
    "I would like to thank you for your best wishes and your kind present, which help us to move forward in those difficult moments. Our Michael is a fighter and he will never give up."
    Stefano Domenicali:
    "He was formidable because his contribution was not limited to his exceptional talent behind the wheel.
    In private, he could be very severe, even ruthless, but outside he was always the first to defend the team.
    We are in contact and they tell me that there is small, continuous progress. I know that we all hope that this terrible waiting will end in the best way.
    Unfortunately we just have to wait."
    ‪#‎ForzaMichael‬ ‪#‎KeepFightingMichael‬ ‪#‎PrayForSchumi‬ ‪#‎PrayForMiracle‬ ‪#‎GetWellSoonMichael‬

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

For the weekend thats in it.

Probably my favourite Schumacher moment. Remember watching that race and when this happened I jumped around the room like a maniac. Its always a pleasure watching this era to me, especially Michael tearing the arse out of that car every lap, his 3rd stint in Hungry will always stand out.

Murray Walker also, god this was a great time for the F1 fan.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29130742

Schumacher's left hospital according to the BBC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd imagine he has the resources to replicate the hospital care at home so I wouldn't read too much in to it.

Glad that he is now at home, and hope the recovery continues to go well.

ORMER FORMULA ONE champion Michael Schumacher has left a Swiss hospital and will continue his treatment at home after a devastating ski accident in December, his family said in a statement today.
    In a surprise announcement, a spokeswoman for the family of the retired German racing star said he was being moved from a top-notch hospital in the Swiss city of Lausanne to his home in nearby Gland.
    “Henceforth Michael’s rehabilitation will take place at his home,” Sabine Kehm said, stressing that “considering the severe injuries he suffered, progress has been made in the past weeks and months”.
    There is still, however, a long and difficult road ahead,” she cautioned, providing no further details on Schumacher’s health status.
    The 45-year-old slammed his head on a rock while skiing with his son and friends in the French Alps in December.
    The seven-time world champion underwent two operations to remove life-threatening blood clots after the freak accident that shocked the world, before being plunged into a medically induced coma.
    He emerged from the coma in June and was transferred from a French hospital to the University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV), renowned for it neurology experts.
    “We would like extend our gratitude to the entire team at CHUV Lausanne for their thorough and competent work,” Tuesday’s statement said.
    “We ask that the privacy of Michael’s family continue to be respected, and that speculations about his state of health are avoided,” it added.
    Known as the “Red Baron” in reference to an ace World War I German fighter pilot, Schumacher made his debut in 1991 and dominated Formula One not long after.
    A ruthless and at times controversial competitor, the German won an unprecedented 91 races, and seven world titles including five in a row with Ferrari from 2000 to 2004.
    He first retired aged 37 but was unable to resist the lure of the track. In 2010, he came out of retirement but failed to re-enact his previous performances, and he quit for good in 2012.
    Retirement did not dull his relish for adrenaline, however, and he kept pursuing thrill-seeking hobbies as the holder of a pilot’s licence, an accomplished motorbike rider, parachutist, skier and mountain climber.
    He survived a motorbike accident in Spain in 2009, during which he suffered head and neck injuries but was released from hospital after just five hours.
    - © AFP 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd imagine he has the resources to replicate the hospital care at home so I wouldn't read too much in to it.

I would think going home is a good sign of his recovery, wish him well anyways

Cue Gary Hartstein to come in with some depressing blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would think going home is a good sign of his recovery, wish him well anyways

Hopefully so. And being in his own surroundings should hopefully provide a boost.

I didn't mean to sound defeatist, I just meant that he'd be able to afford everything from a hospital and have it at home, although he wouldn't have the same emergency backup so it probably is a good sign.

Michael Schumacher's son Mick took a tentative step to following in his father's footsteps over the weekend.

The 15-year-old, who competes under the moniker Mick Junior after previously using his mother Corrinna's surname Betsch, finished runner-up to British youngster Enaam Ahmed in the FIA's KF-Junior category at the World Championships in Essay, France, on Sunday.

The teenager won four heats to make the final where he finished six seconds behind Ahmed to claim second place on the podium.

It was his first major success since his father picked up serious head injuries during a skiing accident in France in December. The 45-year-old Schumacher was in a medically-induced coma for six months, but his rehabilitation is continuing at home.

Mick, though, dreams of emulating his father, who won seven Formula 1 World Championships.

After the race he declared: "Of course I am proud of such an important result, but it is also clear that it is my goal to be world champion. This is only the beginning of my career." ( Source PlanetF1 website )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Jean Todt's been to visit and gives a very positive report.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/schumacher-can-live-normal-life-again-todt/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Scotty # wrote: »

If true, this is really great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

If true, that's great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Scotty # wrote: »

Looks like it might have been overstated in that article how bright the picture Todt painted. Here's the original article here (use Chrome to translate):
    http://www.rtl.be/sport/automoto/F1/280731/rtl-a-rencontre-jean-todt-michael-schumacher-se-bat-mais-il-lui-faut-du-temps-

Basically says he's fighting and needs time.

Here is a more accurate version of the statement from Todt

FIA President Jean Todt has visited Michael Schumacher at his home in Switzerland, where he was recently shifted after receiving treatment in a hospital and rehabilitation facility.

The Frenchman had a strong bond with Schumacher over the years and the pair enjoyed an ultra successful period in Formula 1 with Ferrari during 2000 to 2006.

Commenting on the German’s current condition, Todt said, “In the past weeks and months, he has made progress in relation to the severity of his injury. But a long and hard road is in front of him.” He added, “Hopefully things will improve. His family is close to him. He needs time and peace.”

The report on F1today.net says Todt did sound optimistic about the future of his former Ferrari colleague but it was actually the reporter who had asked Todt if Schumacher will one day live a 'normal life' again, to which the former Ferrari boss answered: "One can only hope. We can say he will probably not be able to drive in formula one again. He has made progress in recent weeks and months, but there is still a long and hard road ahead of him. He needs time and rest. He fights and one can hope that things will improve quickly."

When pressed for details about Schumacher's current condition, including whether the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver can move and speak, Todt insisted: "I do not want to say because it is a very personal matter. What is important is that he is alive and his family is around him."

Regretfully, this is somewhat less positive than the Planet F1 spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Anyone who has an interest in Shumacher's or Bianchi's situation should watch a superb documentary called The Crash Reel. It's about Kevin Pierce, a US snowboarder who suffered a severe brain injury a few years ago, and his coming to terms with it. One of the best documentaries you will ever see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

(Reuters) - GoPro Inc's shares fell as much as 16 percent on Monday after a French journalist suggested that Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher's injuries in a ski accident last year might have been caused by a wearable camera made by the company.

"The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain," Jean-Louis Moncet told radio station Europe 1 over the weekend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-gopro-stocks-idUSKCN0I226D20141013
    The company's shares ended down 9.8 percent at $76.67 on the Nasdaq on Monday. Up to Friday's close, the stock had nearly quadrupled in value since the company listed on June 26.

Shares of other wearable camera makers also fell, with Digital Ally Inc closing 12.9 percent lower at $10.41 and Taser International Inc ending 3.2 percent down at $13.61.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

(Reuters) - GoPro Inc's shares fell as much as 16 percent on Monday after a French journalist suggested that Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher's injuries in a ski accident last year might have been caused by a wearable camera made by the company.

That's a bit of a reckless statement to make without concrete proof. I reckon the company may have a thing or two to say to that journo

And some people still insist that stock markets operate on perfectly rational and mathematical and statistical analysis of profits, earnings, potential dividends etc. :pac:

A doctor who treated Michael Schumacher for nearly six months after his brain injury in a skiing accident says the F1 champion has made "some progress".

But Jean-Francois Payen, a doctor at the French hospital in Grenoble where he was treated, warned that any recovery would take time.

The typical convalescence period was one to three years, he suggested.

Schumacher, 45, was skiing in the French Alps last December when he fell and hit his head on a rock.

The seven-time world champion from Germany was placed in a medically induced coma to help reduce swelling in his brain as he underwent treatment in Grenoble and then in Lausanne, Switzerland.

He has now been taken out of the coma and is being looked after at his home in Gland, Switzerland, where Prof Payen still visits him to track his progress.

source BBC News Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Irish Daily Mail did a detailed article on Michael. The reports of him progressing are misleading. He still requires non stop care, and this may be a lifetime scenario. Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

walshb wrote: »
    The Irish Daily Mail did a detailed article on Michael. The reports of him progressing are misleading. He still requires non stop care, and this may be a lifetime scenario. Very sad.

Some would say there are fates even worse than death :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Mousewar wrote: »
    Those Hartstein comments are supposed to have been mentioned months ago,judging by the comments below the article.

It would appear that if there is nothing new to report (good or bad), they will publish this type of stuff. Very poor journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Official MS site

Live again in commemoration of his first WDC this day 20 years ago.

Advertisement