Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

that's a good answer. determination is the word i think :P

i've been driving around the last 3 days with no back box because i've been deeming it too cold to go outside and put the new one on.

That could be the word, or as the lads call it "tank mode" :pac:

I'd say all the cool kids like you then :pac: sure go on out and fire it on! I got a high vis coat from aldi there thursday, apart from looking like a huge highlighter, it's the warmest thing I've ever bought, I just have a tshirt on under it and im roasted, best 20 quid you can spend if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can!, but then I can't move the fecker away from my house, which is what im trying to do!

Fit the one off the new car on old car. It can't be that bad since you are driving with it at the min. And then you have plenty of time to look for a cheaper replacement. As someone who is scrapping one might sell it to you cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

He is a drug dealer, what you think was under the hat ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i've spent the last 3 days pretending i'm driving an articulated truck in my head, with all the farts and burbles out of it. it's like some kind of childhood dream.

except when you have to start it in public. that. is. embarrassing.

Fit the one off the new car on old car. It can't be that bad since you are driving with it at the min. And then you have plenty of time to look for a cheaper replacement. As someone who is scrapping one might sell it to you cheap.

Ah sure I have one ordered now, be grand sure!
    He is a drug dealer, what you think was under the hat ? :p

Magic of course!.....wana buy some? :P
    i've spent the last 3 days pretending i'm driving an articulated truck in my head, with all the farts and burbles out of it. it's like some kind of childhood dream.

except when you have to start it in public. that. is. embarrassing.

Haha can i have your car for a while that sounds awesome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I thought I was never going to get home this evening sure it was raining heavy and cold but visibility was ok and there was only heavy surface water in a few spots it was a bit windy too. Heading down the motorway to kilkenny you'd swear I was driving in some kind of a severe storm everyone was doing 70-80
    And slower the trucks and the odd car were the only ones driving at a reasonable speed. What made it worse was cars doing 80kmh overtaking cars doing 75kmh for example blocking up the whole motorway causing tailbacks.

So I finally get of the motorway and am driving reasonable on bad backroads to kilkenny through urlingford if anyone knows them. Grand doing around 80kmh and slowing down on the bad bits I know the road very well but of course a car pulls straight out on front of me causing me to brake although I wouldn't call it a close one but off course said car decided to do 40kmh the whole way to kilkenny and the one short straight bit you would just about overtake it the driver floored it to 90kmh then straight back to 40 the tailbacks they caused. It was annoying as they added 15 minutes onto my journey and pulled out in front of me in the first place and I just couldn't overtake it safely it really is a sh!t road for overtaking.

Just another day on the roads I suppose.

that really boils my piss too.

i've been commuting wicklow-waterford lately and it generally takes 1 hour 20 mins - 1 - 30 mins early in the morning... yesterday, well holy moly... everybody must have halved their speed, people doing 40-50 in 80 zones, people doing 50 in 100 zones, it must have been 2 hours or more driving. the temp was between 2 and 4 degrees and the roads for the vast majority were dry, no snow, no frost, no rain, not even dew, dry.

great to see people being cautious in the frosty weather, but there's cautious and there's dangerously slow. it causes frustration, forces people to overtake when it isn't safe to do so etc. nightmare so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know some of ye say there's no such thing as gender specific cars, but for the rest of ye, is this a feminine car? The colour that is. Hmm....

I know some of ye say there's no such thing as gender specific cars, but for the rest of ye, is this a feminine car? The colour that is. Hmm....

i wouldn't have thought so personally. pretty run of the mill colour, or at least it doesn't scream feminine to me. nice change from the more conventional golf colours actually.

i wouldn't have thought so personally. pretty run of the mill colour, or at least it doesn't scream feminine to me. nice change from the more conventional golf colours actually.

A lad up the road from me has an identical golf, colour is actually rather nice

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider that a feminine colour at all tbh and there is certain colours cars I would consider girly I was actually going to buy one in that colour when I was looking and never considered it a feminine colour until you mentioned it now.

There's a nice 06 one identical to that for sale near where I'm working. just has 2006 on the front reg so I'm guessing it's an import. Might take a ponder at it, assuming it's daysul now! Been there a while, as has all his stock, never advertises online, his website is that outdated and neglected he has an 04 celica up for 10k :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Saw a baby blue micra today, looked kinda cool

There's a nice 06 one identical to that for sale near where I'm working. just has 2006 on the front reg so I'm guessing it's an import. Might take a ponder at it, assuming it's daysul now! Been there a while, as has all his stock, never advertises online, his website is that outdated and neglected he has an 04 celica up for 10k :pac:

He'll probably be looking for mad money for it well hopefully not. Let's us know how you get on and what the spec is like Id be suprised if it's anything other than baseline as that's what most of them were in 2006. Are you thinking of trading the focus ?

Bpmull wrote:
    He'll probably be looking for mad money for it well hopefully not. Let's us know how you get on and what the spec is like Id be suprised if it's anything other than baseline as that's what most of them were in 2006. Are you thinking of trading the focus ?

It's a sport, has them alloys, with fogs and colour coded. That's from a quick glance at passing. All the cars are sandwiched together. If we could come to some sort of part exchange, with a fresh focus NCT, then maybe.

Assuming it's a sport 1.9 in good nick, what would be the cut off in terms of price, seeing as you love your golfs bp :P

Assuming it's a sport 1.9 in good nick, what would be the cut off in terms of price, seeing as you love your golfs bp :P

it doesn't have front fogs in the photos. remember it's also 11 years old. €3-4000?

judging by what you've said of his pricing and peoples horn for a golf, i'm going to say he'l go in asking €6k.

If it has reasonable mileage and is clean I supose around 6k would be the upper limit although I couldn't see them looking for much less than that. The sport is nicer on the outside but is missing a few of the comfortline features on the inside. I personally before the CL but as I said in that year to even get a SL is good CL are like gold dust and highline well you never see them.

Just to point out, that screenshot isn't the of the car itself, just one that looks like it. He can shove it if he asks more than 5, which he probably will, most make over 5, I'm just hoping he's a country thick who lives in the wilderness and is unaware of peoples hard ons for golfs :D Focus is worth about 2.5, be pure madness upgrading 2 years for anything more than 2.5k, seeing as I've put so much into the focus thus far.

Just to point out, that screenshot isn't the of the car itself, just one that looks like it. He can shove it if he asks more than 5, which he probably will, most make over 5, I'm just hoping he's a country thick who lives in the wilderness and is unaware of peoples hard ons for golfs :D Focus is worth about 2.5, be pure madness upgrading 2 years for anything more than 2.5k, seeing as I've put so much into the focus thus far.

Unfortunately it's a rare day you'll get a golf for decent money. One thing they are not is cheap especially mk5 on. I gave very strong money for mine at the time but unfortunately if you want one you have to pay for. I've never looked back since I bought mine they are worth the money in my eyes but you won't see that until you have one. Parts are very cheap in general so that a benefit I'm talking vw parts now 50% of ford prices.

• Advertisement

these are usually the people with the greatest awareness for the price of a good golf.

just noting, but if we just valued an 04 diesel golf at €6k, there is 08 diesel focus going for that kind of money. mostly better spec'd, much fresher looking and has the all important cheap tax.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-8-tdci-style-5dr-silver-lo/8458971?offset=10

for example.

these are usually the people with the greatest awareness for the price of a good golf.

just noting, but if we just valued an 04 diesel golf at €6k, there is 08 diesel focus going for that kind of money. mostly better spec'd and much fresher looking.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-8-tdci-style-5dr-silver-lo/8458971?offset=10

for example.

It's 2006 though not 04 like the picture.

Bpmull wrote:
    Parts are very cheap in general so that a benefit I'm talking vw parts now 50% of ford prices.

Pick you up on that point, finally got the front "splitter" for the focus today. Searched every breaker around but none had one, and one that did wouldn't sell it without the bumper. So I bent over and paid 66 for a new one off ford :(

Will post when shes on.

still a valid point :pac:. the mk5 is getting dated looking, the mk2.5 focus still looks somewhat fresh, to my eyes anyway. i just couldn't justify spending more money on an older car that on paper works out worse than the newer car...

i guess things will be different when they are sold on, the golf would hold a lot more of it's value than the focus over the coming years.

whatever you're into i guess.

Pick you up on that point, finally got the front "splitter" for the focus today. Searched every breaker around but none had one, and one that did wouldn't sell it without the bumper. So I bent over and paid 66 for a new one off ford :(

Will post when shes on.

Only 66 quid? A saab aero splitter is about twice that :(

Only 66 quid? A saab aero splitter is about twice that 

Ahh tis only plastic muck though, about an inch and a half thick.
    Dad reckons you won't even notice it when it's on, he's probably right!

Ahh tis only plastic muck though, about an inch and a half thick.
    Dad reckons you won't even notice it when it's on, he's probably right!

So is mine! :o

So is mine! 

Okay... that is awkward then :P

Okay... that is awkward then :P

Bloody saabs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Anyone see this on fb tonight?

https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana

Basically an AMA session by the guards trying to get through questions from folk about modified cars, (arisen from the case of the welded diff recently) was a great concept IMO and a nice way of the gardai trying to converse on a level with the modified car community.

However, (In my opinion anyway) in practise, it turned out to be an outlet for a load of bottomfeeders to try and abuse the gardai directly and derail the session. Shame really as the folk on the garda end seemed to try and answer the genuine questions fairly, and even answered a load of silly questions.

A lot of folk on replying to it are the very reason that the modified car scene has such a bad name, no favours done at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement