Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it looks like its from a british athletes perspective
    Should be good all the same
    Il be interested to see if they omit certain athletes

ah well
    that wasn't very good
    dunno which was worse -the presenters or the amazing moments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

M cebee wrote: »
    ah well
    that wasn't very good
    dunno which was worse -the presenters or the amazing moments

Yeah wasn't great, with a lot of people talking about events they weren't born for.

Watched the Victoria Pendleton doc which was on bbc 1 at 9pm. It was excellent, well worth a look if it is repeated.

ya i watched it
    wasn't bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

M cebee wrote: »
    ya i watched it
    wasn't bad

Who would have though All time meant since 72:D Especially when they kept making references to Owens and Cassius Clay.

All in all followed alot of the BBC's countdown shows template; a bit of light-hearted British-emphasis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

walshb wrote: »
    Great documentary that was. I truly believe that Carl Lewis was a clean athlete. I do not believe that he intentionally ever tried to cheat. He was a naturally brilliant sprinter.

He tested positive for numerous banned stimulants. He doped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

The race that shocked the world is repeated tonight on BBC Four at 10.30pm. My Sky box didn't record it properly the other night as I had two other things set to record at the same time. Athletics overload haha :pac:

Time of Our Lives - now Sky Sports 1HD Seb Coe, Duncan Goodhew and Allan Wells talking about the 1980 Olympics. Repeated at 2am on Sky Sports 1HD

Time of Our Lives - Tessa Sanderson, Charlie Spedding, Neil Adams talking about the 1984 LA Olympics - Friday 10pm Sky Sports 4 HD

Top 20 Olympic Moments - Sat 10am ESPN Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trackfan

anywhere to watch DL in monaco apart from bbc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

trackfan wrote: »
    anywhere to watch DL in monaco apart from bbc?

on Lshunter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

walshb wrote: »
    Another classic. Time to set the record!

Bets on number 1?

If it includes all moments and not just sport moments then Ali lighting the flame in 1996 could grab number 1.

If it's a sports list, and the beeb, then expect Redgrave's 5 medal haul to be right up there.

Quoting myself but my bet was correct. Ali got number 1. Great programme all around. Very funny too.

I loved the Ben Johnson piece: "At least Ben Johnson won when he took drugs. Dwain Chambers took drugs and he came 5th! What did he take, red bull?":P

Ton's of Olympic stuff on ESPN Classic today.

For those who have Sky, new Olympic channels will be available through the Electronic Programme Guide from the 24th of July. These channels will carry the BBC Olympic coverage of every event. More details below.

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/story/15234/7648202
    More than 10million Sky homes will be able to watch live coverage of the Games through two dozen brand new BBC channels. In addition, more than 5million Sky homes with Sky+HD set-top boxes will be able to watch the coverage in stunning high definition to make their Olympics experience even richer and more immersive.

The innovative agreement will mean that Sky homes will have access to comprehensive coverage with up to 24 live dedicated HD and SD channels running simultaneously at peak times during the Olympics.

The 48 brand new channels, which are being created specifically for the Olympics, will launch into Sky's Electronic Program Guide and will show every sport from cycling to archery, swimming to wrestling, tennis to the 100metre final. Alongside coverage on the existing BBC channels, Sky homes will be able to enjoy 2,500 hours' worth of live BBC coverage throughout the Games.

What's more, because Sky homes will be able to view the channels via the Sky EPG, Sky+ homes will be able to record the coverage to watch at a time that suits them so that they can record every one of their favourite events and not miss any of the action.

As with the rest of the HD channels on the Sky platform, the new channels will be broadcast at 1080i format and in wide-screen to enhance the viewing experience. The BBC's Olympics coverage will also be accessible via the BBC Red Button.

A huge event

Stephen van Rooyen, Managing Director of Sky's Sales and Marketing Group, said: "The London Olympics is a huge event in 2012 and one that we are all looking forward to here at Sky.

"We believe that the best way to watch the Olympics is in glorious HD as it offers viewers the best possible viewing experience and, supported by Sky+, the flexibility of watching the action at a time that suits our customers.

"We're delighted that every single Sky home will have the opportunity to enjoy unprecedented coverage of the biggest UK sporting event in a generation."

When watching the coverage with Sky+, customers will be able to record, rewind and replay crucial moments throughout the Olympics and also use this feature to record their favourite sports and events from the Games automatically on their Sky box. The Sky+ Remote Record option also allows customers to set their Sky+ or Sky+HD box to record from mobile devices or the web.

The 48 new channels will be added to the sports section of Sky's Electronic Programme Guide from July 24. The channels are free-to-air and available to any Sky home, including Freesat from Sky homes. The HD channels are available on any Sky+HD box and do not require a subscription, but do require an HD ready TV. Customers will require a Sky subscription in order to use Sky+.

In addition to the live Olympic coverage scheduled to broadcast over the 24 new BBC channels, comprehensive Olympic coverage will also be available on BBC One, BBC One HD, BBC HD, BBC Two, BBC Three and the BBC News Channel, of all which will also be available to all 10.3million Sky homes.

G-Money wrote: »
    For those who have Sky, new Olympic channels will be available through the Electronic Programme Guide from the 24th of July. These channels will carry the BBC Olympic coverage of every event. More details below.

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/story/15234/7648202

Turns out I was wrong about this. These channels aren't available in the Republic. :(

However, if you want, you can add the SD channels manually to your Sky box. The frequency guide is below. I don't seem to be able to add the HD channels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/bbc_olympics_channels.shtml

Sports Greats Haile Gebreselassie. 9.30am and 1.00pm today on Sky Sports 1HD.

Glad to see it finally repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

As there is so much tv coverage of the olympics I would like to make a google doc where people submit say date,time, event, irish interest (if any), channel (most importantly) now people can add events of modify them on how they wish and then there would be a 2nd page that would organize the list by date and time. What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

rom wrote: »
    As there is so much tv coverage of the olympics I would like to make a google doc where people submit say date,time, event, irish interest (if any), channel (most importantly) now people can add events of modify them on how they wish and then there would be a 2nd page that would organize the list by date and time. What do you think ?

That's an excellent idea. How about a google calendar so people can import it into their phone etc.

I think someone posted something like that here the other day though...?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    That's an excellent idea. How about a google calendar so people can import it into their phone etc.

You mean like this one?

G-Money wrote: »
    I think someone posted something like that here the other day though...?

Please find. I think goggle calendar would be best alright.

• Advertisement

You mean like this one?

Yes but with the channels listed where the event is on. Just I don't think RTE will be able to compete with BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/bbc_olympics_channels.shtml Events will clash on RTE and they will have cutaways, ads etc. Also as "events are subject to change" why not have it a calendar you can subscribe to on goolge so that if there is a change it will be reflected. Also TV channels can be added as needed and events like finals where they don't qualify can be removed.

Yes but with the channels listed where the event is on. Just I don't think RTE will be able to compete with BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/bbc_olympics_channels.shtml Events will clash on RTE and they will have cutaways, ads etc. Also as "events are subject to change" why not have it a calendar you can subscribe to on goolge so that if there is a change it will be reflected. Also TV channels can be added as needed and events like finals where they don't qualify can be removed.
    Good luck with that. Let us know when you have it all up and running, complete with auto-updating, alternative channels for RTE cutaways, and dynamic changes based on athletes qualification into further rounds. By the way, the Olympic events start on Saturday, so better get your skates on. ;)

For those without access to TV (e.g. working hours) or travelling around Europe, you can watch the Olympics streamed live from here. It includes:
    1) 12 Live feeds
    2) HD Events
    3) Highlights
    4) Opening and closing ceremonies
    ...paid for, by your TV license fee.

Good luck with that. Let us know when you have it all up and running, complete with auto-updating, alternative channels for RTE cutaways, and dynamic changes based on athletes qualification into further rounds. By the way, the Olympic events start on Saturday, so better get your skates on. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdGxXTEgyM0NLU0p4RFY4aGpMa2VuNlE I see your point. Just people to fill out what channels have coverage.

For those without access to TV (e.g. working hours) or travelling around Europe, you can watch the Olympics streamed live from here. It includes:
    1) 12 Live feeds
    2) HD Events
    3) Highlights
    4) Opening and closing ceremonies
    ...paid for, by your TV license fee.

About to post the same.

Not sure if anyone knows about, but if you’re in Europe, you can watch RTE’s coverage of the Olympics online for free and thus follow the progress of Irish athletes. EG, you live in London, the BBC may be showing British athletes while Irish ones are competing. Log on and away you. Equally, if you have an interest in a Spanish athletes for example, you can watch their coverge too.
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    About to post the same.

Not sure if anyone knows about, but if you’re in Europe, you can watch RTE’s coverage of the Olympics online for free and thus follow the progress of Irish athletes. EG, you live in London, the BBC may be showing British athletes while Irish ones are competing. Log on and away you. Equally, if you have an interest in a Spanish athletes for example, you can watch their coverge too.
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

RTE will have the same coverage as the BBC. They will have no control. They will just pick and choose from the BBC. http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/3 seems to at least list the events

RTE will have the same coverage as the BBC. They will have no control. They will just pick and choose from the BBC. http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/3 seems to at least list the events

I don't follow? The point is that RTE will be picking and choosing Irish content from the BBC. Therefore they have control.

You live in France, French TV are not going to be showing Irish athletes, they'll be broadcasting events of interest to their viewers.

I don't follow? The point is that RTE will be picking and choosing Irish content from the BBC. Therefore they have control.

You live in France, French TV are not going to be showing Irish athletes, they'll be broadcasting events of interest to their viewers.

The coverage will be the same. Say the men's marathon we will get to see the same as what the UK and the rest of the world sees. It won't be special for us. If you are watching BBC 1 or something like that then fair enough then they will just hand pick the events from the BBC Olympic channels and RTE will do the same, however events clash and both have to make choices. My point is on the BBC Olympic channels you defo have the event live rather than "RTE Live". Personally I don't like ad breaks.

I know the coverage will be the same but the point is that RTE will be broadcasting Irish athletes live.

• Advertisement

I know the coverage will be the same but the point is that RTE will be broadcasting Irish athletes live.

We will see.

Advertisement