Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'm gonna make a lasagne. The way i like it is a sort of solid lasagne with a heap of sauce around it. I'm not a huge fan of runny bechamel (also going gluten free and i don't want to faff around with flour substitutes). Has anyone any suggestions for a tasty, slightly more solid white layer? I've seen creme fraise posted about, maybe with a little egg to set. There is also the american style ricotta option, but i always find that a little weird for some reason. I'll be freezing portions as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I use a creme fraiche mix, rarely make a bechamel, it doesn't stay runny when cooked. Got the idea from this Jamie Oliver recipe but I never add the anchovies

That is a nice simple one alright! I love the taste of creme fraiche as well. Nomnomnom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Anyone ever cook a Pastitsio? Came across it in the Guardian on Saturday and the online version is below - looks kinda interesting...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/28/pasta-tomato-sauce-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Ooh Loire I haven't ever made one of those but it looks like the kind of delightful stodge that I need to make this week to take the edge off the Winter-in-August thing we have going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Loire wrote: »
    Anyone ever cook a Pastitsio? Came across it in the Guardian on Saturday and the online version is below - looks kinda interesting...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/28/pasta-tomato-sauce-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi

It's been years since I made one, but it looks no where as good as Ottolenghi's!! Bookmarking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's been years since I made one, but it looks no where as good as Ottolenghi's!! Bookmarking it!

I buy the Guardian most Saturday's and the food section is great. I find that usually his recipes call for some "mad" ingredient that you would have difficulty sourcing and use only the once, but this one is a nice break from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I've never made it, it looks unreal though and it going on the treat day list...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I spent yesterday making up a chicken casserole with cauliflower mash top that I could stick in the oven today, but all I'm craving is Tesco burgers with spaghetti hoops. I don't even particularly like spaghetti hoops, but I want them so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Life is short, eat the spaghetti hoops

• Advertisement

I might go with beans instead. Beans > spaghetti hoops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

+1
    The casserole will keep, and some days you have to have what you crave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I spent yesterday making up a chicken casserole with cauliflower mash top that I could stick in the oven today, but all I'm craving is Tesco burgers with spaghetti hoops. I don't even particularly like spaghetti hoops, but I want them so badly.

Could you share the recipe for your chicken casserole... I am always looking for a good one. .. thanks

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could you share the recipe for your chicken casserole... I am always looking for a good one. .. thanks
    I just kind of made it up as I went with 4 roasted chicken breasts that needed to be used up. I threw in some fried mushrooms too. I made the sauce with 50/50 milk and chicken stock, thyme and chives, and a roux of butter and flour. I bunged all that in a casserole dish. Meanwhile I steamed some cauliflower and mashed it up before grating in a bit of leftover cheese from the end of the fridge and chucked that on top of the chicken mixture. I'll give it about half an hour in the oven, until it's bubbling and the cauli has started to brown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zelda247 wrote: »

Hi Zelda,

Just FYI, it's much easier for everyone to follow if you clearly quote posts :). To do so, just click "Quote" at the bottom right of the post you'd like to quote:

360801.JPG

You can write your own message in under the quoted post and it will appear clearly like this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hey folks, quick question.

I haven't made a brine before and want to give this recipe a go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056717661

Anyone give me an idea what sort of salt:water ratio I should be going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We're having a pulled pork & bad movies party this weekend - I'm finally going to use Sparks's lovely recipe from the Cooking Club. I realised I've been looking at his recipe for FIVE YEARS so we're finally going to make it. We'll do a dry rub on Thursday night, braise it for many hours on Friday night and Saturday morning and then serve with a selection of BBQ sauces that a friend picked up in the US this week.

We may have gotten slightly carried away in the butcher and we bought four kilos of pork shoulder... small me for scale. I was struggling to carry it the 20 min walk to the Luas! (Husband was carrying the wine :))

olZAAi8.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

keane2097 wrote: »
    Hey folks, quick question.

I haven't made a brine before and want to give this recipe a go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056717661

Anyone give me an idea what sort of salt:water ratio I should be going for?

About 4 or 5%. So 40g of salt to a litre of water. Then scale it up from there. If you are brining a turkey, use 6 litres of water and 240g of salt. A whole chicken will probably take 2 litres of water to cover with 80g of salt.

Make the brine by mixing the salt with half the volume of water. Heat and stir until the salt is dissolved. Add the remaining cold water or the same weight of ice to cool the brine. Use cold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We may have gotten slightly carried away in the butcher and we bought four kilos of pork shoulder...

You'll be amazed at how little, if any, is left. People eat an astonishing amount of pulled pork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm in the mood for a tomatoey, cocountty slightly spiced korma/tikka style sauce. Will be having it with just veggies or maybe tofu (or paneer if anyone has a recipe!)

Anybody have any nice ideas?

• Advertisement

At the risk of becoming a broken record: Green saffron red lentil dal^^

dibkins wrote: »

Ok let me make it harder. I have dry yellow split peas and a can of coconut milk as well as various spices. Can I avoid going to the shop :D

I wouldn't start it without onion and ginger and possibly garlic. You won't get much of a tomatoey curry without tomatoes either! What spices have you got?

Ninja edit: This looks good, for chicken, but adapt for your lentils.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/02/nigel-slater-chicken-drumsticks-tomatoes-and-ginger

Ive got garlic and onion. No ginger.

Parsley, paprika, curry powder mix, cardamoms, cayenne, crushed chillies, cumin.

Lentils

Coconut milk.

I might try throw something together without going out for tomatoes. Really I like tomato for texture, but I'd get that with the lentils anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone recommend a decent hand blender that wouldn't cost a fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

dibkins wrote: »

Oh I worship at the alter of Green Saffron!:D It's actually very similar to an idea I had some years ago so it just goes to show that we should act on these ideas! Had the tikka last night and I will do the madras next week. I have never in my life had the spices sing like that, they are so fresh and perfectly proportioned and while I never adhere to a recipe I do with Green Saffron as the spices are obviously measured for those stated.....perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh Edamame, where have you been all my life?

Only recently discovered it and it's now my snack of choice. Although, I'm still working on the 5 pints I usually have with it.:pac:

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Only recently discovered it and it's now my snack of choice. Although, I'm still working on the 5 pints I usually have with it.:pac:

I love edamame. It's a snack that's good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Never heard of them before. Do you eat them raw and in their pods?
    Expensive?

• Advertisement

Never heard of them before. Do you eat them raw and in their pods?
    Expensive?

They're eaten steamed and lightly salted. They're cooked in their pods but you don't eat the pods.

You can buy them ready cooked and frozen in Asian supermarkets. Just take them out about an hour beforehand. Great with beer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement