Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sherlock' actor latest victim of political correctness witch-hunt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Karl Stein wrote: »
    It used to be. Cumberloaf maybe heard it as normal as a kid like many did.

Go to google images type in 'colored segregation' and hit return. If you can't see why the term 'colo(u)red' could piss people off then either you're using a Braille keyboard or you're taking the piss.

Are you taking the piss?

I ignored your puerile braille sneer and did your little google thing: 'colored segregation' and hit return and I thought I could see your point.

But, then, I tried segregation on its own and funny enough, it looked very similar.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=colored&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NS3IVMSAPK-P7Abcm4DoBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=643#tbm=isch&q=segregation+

Then I tried coloured on it's own and it was, well, very colourful. Try it.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=colored&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NS3IVMSAPK-P7Abcm4DoBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=643

By process of elimination, maybe you are looking for the word 'segregation' to be banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

What do you mean when you say 'coloured'?

I'd say he means black people.

Or else he's referencing that bloody poem that gets trotted out every 2.5 seconds.

You know what he means and I know what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I love catching Luderick, and I shall endeavour to always call them Luderick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Is political correctness static or something?

It seems to have become more fashionable and 'correct' to rant and rave about political correctness these days.
    Massively so. People are losing their sh-t on this thread about other people losing their sh-t.
    Some people do look for offence, but others look for people who look for offence.

To me, a white person, the term "coloured" doesn't seem problematic - Benedict Cumberbatch was probably thinking the same thing.
    However, black people (and Asian people) see it as having darker (sorry! :o :pac:) connotations, as is their right. There's the fashion now of, ironically, forcing free speech on people - well that should include people having the right to take exception to something. To me, it's just a word. That doesn't mean it doesn't have deeper resonance for others though.
    I do think people should not just jump to view Benedict as a racist though, when he obviously isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Person of colour sounds so formal or something. I prefer to do that thing where you point out small details to identify a person.

The guy with the earring. .
    The girl with the bag over there.

Much easier to say fat, white guy. :D God knows what people say about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Massively so. People are losing their sh-t on this thread about other people losing their sh-t.
    Some people do look for offence, but others look for people who look for offence.

To me, a white person, the term "coloured" doesn't seem problematic - Benedict Cumberbatch was probably thinking the same thing.
    However, black people (and Asian people) see it as having darker (sorry! :o :pac:) connotations, as is their right. There's the fashion now of, ironically, forcing free speech on people - well that should include people having the right to take exception to something.
    I do think people should not just jump to view Benedict as a racist though, when he obviously isn't.

The point is there's no outrage aimed at Cumberbatch - this whole episode is being blown up by people wanting to use terms like "politically correct brigade", etc.

The point is there's no outrage aimed at Cumberbatch - this whole episode is being blown up by people wanting to use terms like "politically correct brigade", etc.

Then what is he apologising for?

mfceiling wrote: »
    So if I meet my mate back home whose skin is a different colour to mine what am I to do so as not to cause offence?

If i look at him will he think i'm racist. If I put out my hand to shake his will he think, oh yeah white boy, trying to prove you're not racist by looking like you care about years of slavery. I'm baffled here...
    :confused: Why are you pretending stuff that wasn't implied was implied? The discussion is about language, nothing else. Look at your friend's face as you normally do and which has never caused offence and never will, shake his hand as you have normally done and which has never caused offence and never will.
    vetinari wrote: »
    Judging by the OP, it seems the only people getting worked up are the people who are trying to use this as an example of PC correctness gone mad. His / her level of outrage is way worse than the original outrage.
    Yup.
    deandean wrote: »
    Benedict, he's a decent skin.

So, can anyone please advise what is the politically correct and socially acceptable term for a coloured person these days?
    Black obviously. :confused:
    Or Asian, Hispanic... you know this, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

reprise wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

I ignored your puerile braille sneer and did your little google thing: 'colored segregation' and hit return and I thought I could see your point.

But, then, I tried segregation on its own and funny enough, it looked very similar.

Surprise surprise. 'Segregation' turns up much the same results that the term 'colored segregation' does. Thanks, you just underscored the very point I was making. The word 'coloured/colored' harks back to a time when 'coloureds' were second class citizens by law through segregation and perhaps that's why Eggsbenedict Cucumberbanana apologised for using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

:confused: Why are you pretending stuff that wasn't implied was implied? The discussion is about language, nothing else. Look at your friend's face as you normally do and which has never caused offence and never will, shake his hand as you have normally done and which has never caused offence and never will.

Yup.

If you're referring to all minorities you can't just call them black. That would be offensive!

• Advertisement

I said 'outrage', there's no real outrage over this matter except in the minds of rightwingers who see 'social justice warriors' everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

He should have pulled out a Dulux colour sheet and asked them to point which one they believed he was talking about.

In all honesty, It is fcuking hard as nails to describe the details of someone's skin without describing the colour.

Then again the exploring the bounds of human language is everything the PC police stands against knowingly or unknowingly, the useful idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Somebody better tell the NAACP they are being politically incorrect, and pronto.

naacp.org/pages/our-mission

Adamantium wrote: »
    In all honesty, It is fcuking hard as nails to describe the details of someone's skin without describing the colour.
    But he didn't describe the colour. He didn't say "black" (which would be grand - it's imagined that the word "black" is an offensive term; it obviously isn't).

Then again the exploring the bounds of human language is everything the PC police stands against knowingly or unknowingly, the useful idiots.

You're certainly not niggardly with your hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Using an outdated term that might easily offend many people.

An apology seems like a normal reaction to me.

liam24 wrote: »
    If you're referring to all minorities you can't just call them black. That would be offensive!
    Well that's why I also said Asian and Hispanic.

Surprise surprise. 'Segregation' turns up much the same results that the term 'colored segregation' does. Thanks, you just underscored the very point I was making. The word 'coloured/colored' harks back to a time when 'coloureds' were second class citizens by law through segregation and perhaps that's why Eggsbenedict Cucumberbanana apologised for using it.

:confused:

You can put a slew of words in with segregation and achieve the very same result.

But thanks for articulating your spittle flecked outrage at this naked act of racism, as you clearly see it.

You can put a slew of words in with segregation and achieve the very same result.

But thanks for articulating your spittle flecked outrage at this naked act of racism, as you clearly see it.
    He doesn't see it as a naked cat of racism from what I can tell (this is part of this whole thread; accusations of PC outrage when there isn't any, or at least there's far less than is claimed), just explained why people expressed distaste when Benedict used the term.

I'm not even slightly outraged. I'm not even 'coloured' except for a big bruise on my right thigh. :D

• Advertisement

No one sees it as a 'naked act of racism'! You're projecting again :)

He doesn't see it as a naked cat of racism from what I can tell (this is part of this whole thread; accusations of PC outrage when there isn't any, or at least there's far less than is claimed), just explained why people expressed distaste when Benedict used the term.

Ah Jesus, the PC Brigade are going to be up in arms over these naked racist cats!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My opinion of this is similar to my opinion of people idiotically accused of misogyny like the t shirt satellite guy, or public figures who are accused publicly of sex crimes which have yet to be proven in court: Justifying such smears with any kind of response is only adding fuel to the fire. He should have said nothing at all and left the SJW muppets to their rage, which would soon have been diverted towards the next person to use a word which isn't part of their list of twenty words that are approved for use by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Well that's why I also said Asian and Hispanic.

It's a bit unwieldy listing off every possible minority every time you want to make a general point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

But he didn't describe the colour. He didn't say "black" (which would be grand - it's imagined that the word "black" is an offensive term; it obviously isn't).

Yes he was trying to say non white actors/actresses having a hard time getting roles. White is the absence of any distinct colour. He didn't want to say black because he knew that would only cause the same sort of outrage he is now getting anyway and people would lynch for that.

It wouldn't be grand in the slightest if he specified, it would have much worse, he said "colour" to cover himself and he still got it. That is so sad. There is huge breadth of skin tone out there and he was being inclusive if anything.

Yes he was trying to say non white actors/actresses having a hard time getting roles. White is the absence of any distinct colour. He didn't want to say black because he knew that would only cause the same sort of outrage he is now getting anyway and people would lynch for that.
    No they wouldn't. "Black" is not deemed offensive. It's no different to "white".

It wouldn't be grand in the slightest if he specified, it would have much worse, he said "colour" to cover himself and he still got it. That is so sad. There is huge breadth of skin tone out there and he was being inclusive if anything.

Again and again, there's no outrage/ no lynching of him.

Cumberbatch is in everything, it's media saturation at this point. The media reported his comment and his apology over and over but if you look there's no substance to it, they're only trying to fixate on a popular figure.

No one sees it as a 'naked act of racism'! You're projecting again :)

"I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner, please be assured I have.
    "I apologise again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply

:)

You can't just ignore the entire history of the word "coloured!" It's not just a neutral, innocent way to describe anyone non-white. It has negative connotations for African Americans, particularly in relation to segregation.

Hence why some people pointed out that what he said might be offensive to some, and why he apologised politely.

Why people in this thread have imagined a completely non-existent wild liberal outrage against Cumberbottom that they keep referring to despite providing no evidence for its existence is truly baffling. :confused:

• Advertisement

You can't just ignore the entire history of the word "coloured!" It's not just a neutral, innocent way to describe anyone non-white. It has negative connotations for African Americans, particularly in relation to segregation.

Hence why some people pointed out that what he said might be offensive to some, and why he apologised politely.

Why people in this thread have imagined a completely non-existent wild liberal outrage against Cumberbottom that they keep referring to despite providing no evidence for its existence is truly baffling. :confused:

Apologised politely? Don't make me laugh.

I see plenty of evidence of the perennial menacing undertone and self righteousness that clearly prompted such a wildly over the top apology.

A mans gotta eat.

Advertisement