Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sherlock' actor latest victim of political correctness witch-hunt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lyaiera wrote: »
    The vast majority of tumblr I've encountered seems to be gifs of baby animals, superheroes, or anime.

the content you see depends on the blogs you follow obviously but theres an incredibly large user base of womens rights, lgbt and other minorities rights activists on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

bb1234567 wrote: »
    the content you see depends on the blogs you follow obviously but theres an incredibly large user base of womens rights, lgbt and other minorities rights activists on the site

My god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I'm fairly confident that most people, regardless of their skin pigmentation, would agree that Benji Cumberforce is not a racist.

Can someone point me to the all these outraged people/comments?

Can someone explain what he is apologising for if he's done nothing wrong and why people are not surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

reprise wrote: »
    Can someone explain what he is apologising for if he's done nothing wrong and why people are not surprised?

I can only imagine that it was deemed to be the safest course of action for his career to apologise "just in case"

personally I don't see why the term "person of colour" is fundamentally different to the term "coloured", it seems unnecessarily unwieldy and going over the top in its sensitivity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Whats the bets that 99.999999% of the people who were outraged by the comment were white

Ask them, the only people I've noticed getting worked up about this are the ones on this thread who seem to be outraged by the non-existent outrage around this that they've imagined in their little heads.
    Really?

When an organisation with a less than benign name such as "Show Racism the Red Card" is on your case

"Less than benign?" What, do you think they should just show racism a yellow card first, give it a chance to clean its act up!?
    - you better bite the bullet and start genuflecting, if you want a career that is.

Yeah, as though Benedict Cumberbatch is an inveterate racist who'd use whatever offensive, outdated language he wanted as long as imaginary people weren't constantly listening to everything he says in order to pillory him.
    "And I would've got away with too if it wasn't for you meddling Social Justice Warriors!! :mad::mad::mad:"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Can someone explain what he is apologising for if he's done nothing wrong

I didn't say he did nothing wrong I said I doubt most people think he's a racist

He's apologising because he used the term 'coloured' and it has racist echoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I think some people love this story because Benidict is is a scary looking Aryan. That's RACIST.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's always a massive red flag to me of what an intellectual lightweight a person is if they get offended by the vocabulary someone else uses and ignores the content or the intended meaning of what they're saying.

You see the same thing with the Mrs. Lovejoy, "Won't somebody think of the children" eejits who whine about swearing on TV.

You have to be seriously petty minded to get animated about that sort of trivia.

This thread is in serious need of lots of evidence of people actually being offended by Cumberbatch's words and genuinely thinking him a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Should have followed Rashida Jones' lead from the other night and said "ethnic". That seems to be safe enough, although totally nonsensical, of course. We are all ethnic, we all belong to an ethnicity. It could be argued that that would be a more loaded term for the present day use (why? because calling someone who is non-white - ethnic, implies that the white ethnicity is the standard one, the one that doesn't need emphasising) than "coloured", which is another way of saying "of colour".

I'd also say that reporter who interviewed her, displayed a more blatant case of general ignorance than Cumby did.

Rashida Jones #tangate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I genuinely thought "coloured" was an ok term.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Did this involve some black fella, or what is it about??

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I didn't say he did nothing wrong I said I doubt most people think he's a racist

He's apologising because he used the term 'coloured' and it has racist echoes.

Indeed, to those finely tuned ears, who hear little else.

Could you point to any examples of people like this reacting to Cumberbutton's used of the word "coloured?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Really?

When an organisation with a less than benign name such as "Show Racism the Red Card" is on your case - you better bite the bullet and start genuflecting, if you want a career that is.

What precisely is "less than benign" about getting rid of racism?

Could you point to any examples of people like this reacting to Cumberbutton's used of the word "coloured?"

Did you not read the op?

Did you not read the op?

Sadly, I did.

It featured two mild quotes pointing out that "coloured" is an outdated term, nothing more.

Wait, you know that the post wasn't actually a genuine news article, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

its all getting very tense in here, any minute now someone is going to use the term "pray tell" and demand someone justify a viewpoint they haven't expressed

tune in tomorrow

Sadly, I did.

It featured two mild quotes pointing out that "coloured" is an outdated term, nothing more.

Wait, you know that the post wasn't actually a genuine news article, don't you?

It was satire n'est pas?

Hang on, you think Benedict Cumberbatch offering a toe curling grovelling apology was satire too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What word should he have used?

• Advertisement

You'll have to ask Show Racism the Red Card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

Person of colour

It was satire n'est pas?

Hang on, you think Benedict Cumberbatch offering a toe curling grovelling apology was satire too?

So no evidence of people looking for racism in this then?

The only people I can see who are bringing preconceived notions to bear on this situation are the ones on this thread frothing at the mouth to find a non-existent "PC libtard SJW professionally offended" overreaction and vilification of Cumberkettle.

So no evidence of people looking for racism in this then?

The only people I can see who are bringing preconceived notions to bear on this situation are the ones on this thread frothing at the mouth to find a non-existent "PC libtard SJW professionally offended" overreaction and vilification of Cumberkettle.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Next thing you know they'll be saying drapetomania is an outdated term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomania

Tony EH wrote: »
    I genuinely thought "coloured" was an ok term.

It used to be. Cumberloaf maybe heard it as normal as a kid like many did.

Go to google images type in 'colored segregation' and hit return. If you can't see why the term 'colo(u)red' could piss people off then either you're using a Braille keyboard or you're taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Benedict, he's a decent skin.

So, can anyone please advise what is the politically correct and socially acceptable term for a coloured person these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

deandean wrote: »
    Benedict, he's a decent skin.

So, can anyone please advise what is the politically correct and socially acceptable term for a coloured person these days?

Ask your black mates.

deandean wrote: »

What do you mean when you say 'coloured'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Cumberbatch was mearly using the phrase so offen used by his ancestors on their many plantations.

Advertisement