Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Irelands lowest moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

con1421 wrote: »
    The Thierry Henry handball

Yep and then Sepp Blatter laughed about Ireland being the 33rd team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

IMF rolling into town and then having to listen to patronising commentary from our past collonial masters and bloomberg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Dustin the Turkey representing us in the Eurovision must rank pretty high on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

The Stardust fire and how the families of the victims were treated in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Northern Irish atrocities such as the Omagh bombing, Miami showband shootings and so on. Hepatitis C scandal, never-ending clergy abuse and cover-up stories, bank bailout, death of Savita Halappanavar.

Moments of genuine shame for this island in the eyes of the world. (Bailout perhaps less so because it wasn't only us).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Becoming the testing ground for colonisation. A lot of really horrific things happened to Irish people over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not rounding up and imprisoning those members of the clergy who abused, or who colluded in or covered up the abuse of, children. A bunch of rapists and enablers walking around like they're still some kind of moral authority makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Stinicker wrote: »
    Electing Bertie Ahern and Fianna Fail in 1997 was a day of absolute shame

to be fair haughey was doing the same for many years before bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

kylith wrote: »
    Not rounding up and imprisoning those members of the clergy who abused, or who colluded in or covered up the abuse of, children. A bunch of rapists and enablers walking around like they're still some kind of moral authority makes me sick.

Yeap. How we've dealt with people who have done great wrong against the citizens since we got our independence. The afore-mentioned clergy. The absolute power of Dev and his moulding/corroding of the education system and standards. Haughey and his island and his silk shirts. The high-flying politicians and builders. Even Mr clean Kenny breaking new salary caps to give his personal adviser a pain rise (might have take that advice with a pinch of salt). Turns out our Mr. Fix-its are about as trustworthy as Jimmy.

Failure to learn from mistakes and a failure to have the self-discipline required to rule ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

For me I think it would be austerity that has been forced on the people. In my lifetime, I think that's the lowest time for Ireland

THIS.

In my lifetime the lowest point as a nation was the death of Savita Halappanavar by being refused an abortion because Ireland is a catholic country.

THIS.
    apollo8 wrote: »
    Devalera signing the book of condolence for Hitler...............Shocking!:(

THIS.
    going cap in hand to the IMF

THIS
    Push Pop wrote: »
    IMF rolling into town and then having to listen to patronising commentary from our past collonial masters and bloomberg etc.

THIS.
    THall04 wrote: »
    The Stardust fire and how the families of the victims were treated in the aftermath.

THIS.

osarusan wrote: »
    Northern Irish atrocities such as the Omagh bombing, Miami showband shootings and so on. Hepatitis C scandal, never-ending clergy abuse and cover-up stories, bank bailout, death of Savita Halappanavar.

Moments of genuine shame for this island in the eyes of the world. (Bailout perhaps less so because it wasn't only us).

THIS

kylith wrote: »

AND THIS.

I hate this thread because in only 3 pages it has reminded me of why there are days i am ashamed to be Irish :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Re-electing them in 2007. I actually cried the evening of that election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

"Peig Sayers" , that book still gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Actually 2007 was even more shameful given that we knew so much more about the antics of Bertie and Ray Burke and Charlie Haughie and Pee Flynn and Liam Lawlor and Bev Flynn and Ivor Callelly and Denis Foley

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

vitani wrote: »
    Re-electing them in 2007. I actually cried the evening of that election.

Me too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Has to be the sex abuse scandals in the church . Or the chronic rise in gangland crime , killings and activity . Although I'm not really sure this could have been avoided or averted

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Colash wrote: »
    Has to be the sex abuse scandals in the church . Or the chronic rise in gangland crime , killings and activity . Although I'm not really sure this could have been avoided or averted

Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Lot of self hating Irish people on this thread. Also a very important fact that a lot of people have conveniently overlooked is this great little nation of ours is still less than one hundred years old. Remember we kicked the English out and invited a bunch of skirt wearing freaks who answered to Rome to help run things and it is only since they lost their power have any great social changes been made for the better. As for the corrupt politicians also to be expected when you put people into power who have no right and even less ability to represent the state first day and have an electorate who vote in the children and grand children of these chancers because they fixed the road or helped young Tommy Mac out with his court case.

I can only hope the up and coming generation of Irish people can make things better and learn from the mistakes of the first hundred years and make this country a great a strong nation.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.
    I guess your right . But you have to admit it's far from imaginary ! It's a very real problem . Drugs trafficking , money laundering , killings ., etc etc . It's all here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Love Ulster Parade riot in 2006 shamed us on a national scale. The sickening thing was that the international media, from New York to New Zealand, painted the perpetrators as Republicans making political points rather than what they were, absolute opportunistic scum buckets intent on causing havoc and looting.

Oh and Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd imagine the ould famines were fairly low points.

For a lot of people here twould have to be the crown forces leaving the 26 counties in '22 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

...you put people into power who have no right and even less ability to represent the state first day and have an electorate who vote in the children and grand children of these chancers because they fixed the road or helped young Tommy Mac out with his court case...

This. A thousand times this.

As an "outsider", I'm constantly astonished at the way completely incompetent, corrupt arseholes are re-elected. That, and the way people re-elect a government that has shafted them because "I've always been a Fianna Fail man".

And as for resigning when you get caught out/are proved incompetent?

Death of Gerry Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

That comes under offences commited by the clergy ;)

Jaysus its appalling, hope he got a right slapping by the big man in the crowd the horrible clown

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

The plantations. It was here that we Irish developed our inferiority complex (imo) about we were always the victim, about how we had to own land etc etc and it has never gone away. It was always bubbling below the surface. We had that complex in the famine; ye Britain ruled us but most of the death through starvation came from Irish landlords exporting food out of the country rather than helping the starving, not from laws from London condemning us to death.
    It stayed with us after the war of independence and civil war with us subconsciously holding that victim card and not believing we were strong enough to govern ourselves and let the RC church take a hold on some of our most important institutions, schools, hospitals etc and rule our moral compass from the pulpit, again inferiority complex
    In the past 10-15 years we've seen what that complex has done to our country. That need and want to own our own place has led to extreme greed by some people and they've bankrupted the country. I wanted my own house and it'll never be worth what I've played for it so I suppose I had that complex aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A lot of this is around shameful episodes rather than memorable low points. Fair enough the clerical abuse scandals are a scar of the last 50 years but what moment encapsulates that?

Its easy to say in hindsight that electing or re-electing FF was a mistake but at the time it happened it was a high moment, for them anyway, and the electorate never had so much disposable income at the time, so not a low moment for many. The low moment would be when that first austerity budget was delivered, or Brian Lenihan coming home ashen faced and admitting we were so sh*gged and the bailout was happening with such onerous conditions.

Money and sovereignty is one thing, but Ireland's lowest moment without question was the afternoon of the Omagh Bomb. I can tell you precisely where i was, what the weather was like, the jarring shock of the news. As a moment, I cant think of one lower in my 40 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Colash wrote: »
    Drugs trafficking , money laundering , killings ., etc etc . It's all here

It's ****ing everywhere.

It's not half as bad here as it is in most European countries. Never mind the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Remember we kicked the English out and invited a bunch of skirt wearing freaks who answered to Rome to help run things and it is only since they lost their power have any great social changes been made for the better.

This notion that the church only came to prominence in the 1920s is flawed to be honest. The Catholic Church has had a massive influence in Irish society for centuries. "Official" type Catholicism developed in the 1800s with Paul Cullen who transformed the Irish church into a disciplined and over-arching body that was also extremely politically active. The Catholic Church controlled Irish national schools a good 40 years before independence. The Brits realised that alienating the vast majority of the Irish people and allying solely with a small Protestant ascendancy was untenable, as such they sought to ally with the Catholic middle-class, key amongst which was the church who consistantly opposed all revolutionary movements that emerged. It was an official British act which bestowed the education system to the Church.

Ireland wasn't some sort of secular state pre-1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Jedward...

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

The day Irelands mother caught him masturbating. Sticky situation.

Advertisement