Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was Irelands lowest moment?

• 11-06-2013 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

There's plenty to choose from here I'm afraid. It can be measured whatever way you want.

From the banking crisis and the world watching as we went into meltdown, to the Church scandals, to Crystal Swing performing on the Ellen Show.

What do you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Electing Bertie Ahern and Fianna Fail in 1997 was a day of absolute shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

About ten to twelve thousand years ago when the ice age ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It was between now and sometime around the Big Bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

when scilachii scored in italia 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It was between now and sometime around the Big Bang.
    About ten to twelve thousand years ago when the ice age ended.

Personally I would have went for something like this

• Advertisement

I wasn't old enough to fully understand it but heartbreaking stuff I'd imagine.

Losing to Spain in penalties at the 2002 WC was low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The day St Paddy arrived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The famine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I wasn't old enough to fully understand it but heartbreaking stuff I'd imagine.

Losing to Spain in penalties at the 2002 WC was low.

hooland in 94 was bad too,total anti-climax

The famine?

Probably that alright.
    New question then, What was Ireland's lowest moment besides The Famine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

LiamMc wrote: »

Dunmore Cave is a moment? I must have missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Who knows? i'm sure no member has been around since the first day of human settlement.
    My prediction is the day the rubber bandits were formed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

P.S I Love You

Nepotism, badly written book, diddly eye movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

The Henry handball was worse.

Probably that alright.

The civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Probably that alright.

Cromwellian conquest of Ireland.
    The impact of the war (Cromwell) on the Irish population was unquestionably severe, although there is no consensus as to the magnitude of the loss of life. The war resulted in famine, which was worsened by an outbreak of bubonic plague. Estimates of the drop in the Irish population resulting from the Parliamentarian campaign vary from 15–25%,[7] to half and even as much as five-sixths. The Parliamentarians (Cromwellians) also deported about 50,000 people as indentured labourers.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

When so called medical professionals left a sick pregnant woman to die last October in a hospital in Galway. Recently that's the lowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The plantations.

Normans and uppity Dubliners inside the Pale we could live with.

The plantations really brung it, though.

I know the Civil War has been said, but the Plantations created a pervasive civil division that has managed to survive entire centuries, and to this day leaves Irish people grappling in the dark for a national identity we will probably never recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Famine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say the child abuse. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Ann Doyle leaving The News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Xavi6 wrote: »
    P.S I Love You

Nepotism, badly written book, diddly eye movie.

The book wasn't that bad. I didn't see the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

For me I think it would be austerity that has been forced on the people. In my lifetime, I think that's the lowest time for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

In my lifetime the lowest point as a nation was the death of Savita Halappanavar by being refused an abortion because Ireland is a catholic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Devalera signing the book of condolence for Hitler...............Shocking!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

going cap in hand to the IMF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Probably miwadigate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

The Thierry Henry handball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

con1421 wrote: »
    The Thierry Henry handball

Yep and then Sepp Blatter laughed about Ireland being the 33rd team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

IMF rolling into town and then having to listen to patronising commentary from our past collonial masters and bloomberg etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Dustin the Turkey representing us in the Eurovision must rank pretty high on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

The Stardust fire and how the families of the victims were treated in the aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Northern Irish atrocities such as the Omagh bombing, Miami showband shootings and so on. Hepatitis C scandal, never-ending clergy abuse and cover-up stories, bank bailout, death of Savita Halappanavar.

Moments of genuine shame for this island in the eyes of the world. (Bailout perhaps less so because it wasn't only us).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Becoming the testing ground for colonisation. A lot of really horrific things happened to Irish people over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not rounding up and imprisoning those members of the clergy who abused, or who colluded in or covered up the abuse of, children. A bunch of rapists and enablers walking around like they're still some kind of moral authority makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Stinicker wrote: »

to be fair haughey was doing the same for many years before bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

kylith wrote: »
    Not rounding up and imprisoning those members of the clergy who abused, or who colluded in or covered up the abuse of, children. A bunch of rapists and enablers walking around like they're still some kind of moral authority makes me sick.

Yeap. How we've dealt with people who have done great wrong against the citizens since we got our independence. The afore-mentioned clergy. The absolute power of Dev and his moulding/corroding of the education system and standards. Haughey and his island and his silk shirts. The high-flying politicians and builders. Even Mr clean Kenny breaking new salary caps to give his personal adviser a pain rise (might have take that advice with a pinch of salt). Turns out our Mr. Fix-its are about as trustworthy as Jimmy.

Failure to learn from mistakes and a failure to have the self-discipline required to rule ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

For me I think it would be austerity that has been forced on the people. In my lifetime, I think that's the lowest time for Ireland

THIS.

In my lifetime the lowest point as a nation was the death of Savita Halappanavar by being refused an abortion because Ireland is a catholic country.

THIS.
    apollo8 wrote: »
    Devalera signing the book of condolence for Hitler...............Shocking!:(

THIS.
    going cap in hand to the IMF

THIS
    Push Pop wrote: »
    IMF rolling into town and then having to listen to patronising commentary from our past collonial masters and bloomberg etc.

THIS.
    THall04 wrote: »
    The Stardust fire and how the families of the victims were treated in the aftermath.

THIS.

osarusan wrote: »
    Northern Irish atrocities such as the Omagh bombing, Miami showband shootings and so on. Hepatitis C scandal, never-ending clergy abuse and cover-up stories, bank bailout, death of Savita Halappanavar.

Moments of genuine shame for this island in the eyes of the world. (Bailout perhaps less so because it wasn't only us).

THIS

kylith wrote: »

AND THIS.

I hate this thread because in only 3 pages it has reminded me of why there are days i am ashamed to be Irish :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Re-electing them in 2007. I actually cried the evening of that election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

"Peig Sayers" , that book still gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Actually 2007 was even more shameful given that we knew so much more about the antics of Bertie and Ray Burke and Charlie Haughie and Pee Flynn and Liam Lawlor and Bev Flynn and Ivor Callelly and Denis Foley

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

vitani wrote: »
    Re-electing them in 2007. I actually cried the evening of that election.

Me too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Has to be the sex abuse scandals in the church . Or the chronic rise in gangland crime , killings and activity . Although I'm not really sure this could have been avoided or averted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Colash wrote: »
    Has to be the sex abuse scandals in the church . Or the chronic rise in gangland crime , killings and activity . Although I'm not really sure this could have been avoided or averted

Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Lot of self hating Irish people on this thread. Also a very important fact that a lot of people have conveniently overlooked is this great little nation of ours is still less than one hundred years old. Remember we kicked the English out and invited a bunch of skirt wearing freaks who answered to Rome to help run things and it is only since they lost their power have any great social changes been made for the better. As for the corrupt politicians also to be expected when you put people into power who have no right and even less ability to represent the state first day and have an electorate who vote in the children and grand children of these chancers because they fixed the road or helped young Tommy Mac out with his court case.

I can only hope the up and coming generation of Irish people can make things better and learn from the mistakes of the first hundred years and make this country a great a strong nation.

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.
    I guess your right . But you have to admit it's far from imaginary ! It's a very real problem . Drugs trafficking , money laundering , killings ., etc etc . It's all here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Love Ulster Parade riot in 2006 shamed us on a national scale. The sickening thing was that the international media, from New York to New Zealand, painted the perpetrators as Republicans making political points rather than what they were, absolute opportunistic scum buckets intent on causing havoc and looting.

Oh and Jedward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd imagine the ould famines were fairly low points.

For a lot of people here twould have to be the crown forces leaving the 26 counties in '22 :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement