Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages Of Living Alone.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

This thread makes me want to evict my flat mates or pack up my meagre possessions and go live under a bridge since that is the only way I could afford to live alone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Not having to deal with people having their mates around and being noisy when you're trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

EVERYTHING ABOVE

Would miss the danger **** though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Not having to deal with people having their mates around and being noisy when you're trying to sleep.
    And the reverse: not having to worry about waking them when you bring someone/people back after a night out. :)

Must be very lonely living alone if you're in an area where you don't know anyone. But if you're living in a place with your friends nearby, it's the biz, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    This thread makes me want to evict my flat mates or pack up my meagre possessions and go live under a bridge since that is the only way I could afford to live alone at the moment.

When I first lived alone I was completely broke. I brought my meagre possessions in some black plastic bags. I ate my meals standing up at the kitchen worktop for a long time. Getting a table and chairs was a big event. It's funny what you take for granted and then learn to appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Must be very lonely living alone if you're in an area where you don't know anyone. But if you're living in a place with your friends nearby, it's the biz, in my opinion.
    Like everything else, it's what you make of it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I love living alone! I can do whatever the hell I want, whenever I want!

Silence is bliss.
    The house is how I left it every time I return.
    Nakedness happens whenever I want.
    I can sing at the top of my lungs, really badly, and it's fine!
    My friends can come over whenever, and leave whenever.
    I control level of cleanliness (even when the house is a state, it's less stressful than when you're trying to motivate someone else to do their bit.)
    As a veggie, there's no meat in the house- ever! And nobody can tell me I'm unreasonable!
    Nobody gives out to me for having too many throws and cushions.

Downside:
    There's nobody to take spiders outside. I get around this by leaving them under a glass until I someone comes over (usually less than a day :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I live alone, am (terminally!) single and can get very lonely for a partner sometimes.

But flatmates??? Never again if I can help it!!!!! For all of the reasons eloquently listed in the posts above. I shared houses for 12 years before getting my own place, and also for another two years when I lived abroad. The ONLY things I miss about not having someone else there are cuddles and intimacy ifyaknowahatimean.

If I want company, I invite someone round. And then they go away again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

walking around the house with your cock and balls hanging out

• Advertisement

Silence is bliss.
    I control level of cleanliness (even when the house is a state, it's less stressful than when you're trying to motivate someone else to do their bit.)
    As a veggie, there's no meat in the house- ever! And nobody can tell me I'm unreasonable!

Downside:
    There's nobody to take spiders outside. I get around this by leaving them under a glass until I someone comes over (usually less than a day :D )

Would you like some?

Just discovered another advantage;

If you let the spuds boil dry you can just throw them em out and stick on a pizza and no one will ever know you're a shite cook.:o:pac:

I've started jerking off to primetime.

The lovely claire has that effect on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

So, here I am, on the toilet, with the bathroom door open, watching the Telly and keeping an eye on the spuds. I'm living the dream.

Any other advantages to living alone you can think of?

Will you marry me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lived on my own almost constantly for the last 13 years; I really don't think I could ever go back to living with someone. If I ever get married, we'll need two houses.

Briefly had a friend of a friend sharing with me (needed a place at short notice), and as soon as she started leaving notes for me around the place, she was GONE. On the negative side, she used to walk around in a tiny nightie that would bring tears to your eyes. Back on the plus side, she'd only wear that when she had her boyfriend around and they'd be hammering the bed against the wall separating our rooms.

Yup, I'm back 100% on the Living Alone Is Great side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The place stays clean.
    I can masturbate as often as I want and wherever I want.
    I can fall into a drunken sleep on the kitchen floor and nobody will bitch at me.
    I can spend all night on boards and there's nobody to call me a sad bástard.
    I can walk around naked (although I do this anyway tbh).

I ****ing miss living on my own. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

krudler wrote: »
    You kidding? I loved living alone, you actually make way more time to invite people over and have parties and gatherings at yours when there's nobody else involved. Knowing you leave in the morning for work and the house is in the exact same state you left it is brilliant. Not having to worry about making noise or interrupting others if they want alone time or vice versa, its great.

absolutely. i felt the exact same. for the first 9 months to year. then you realise people have jobs and lives and cant always be coming around. even to just watch a dvd or something its a hassle. then you find yourself spending more and more time on your own and after a while the whole place feels very empty. there are great advantages to living alone and for the first while the novelty of them is terrific but they all become less important and impressive however when one dayyou just want someone to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

absolutely. i felt the exact same. for the first 9 months to year. then you realise people have jobs and lives and cant always be coming around. even to just watch a dvd or something its a hassle. then you find yourself spending more and more time on your own and after a while the whole place feels very empty. there are great advantages to living alone and for the first while the novelty of them is terrific but they all become less important and impressive however when one dayyou just want someone to talk to.

Get a cat, dog, goldfish or other animal

Silence is bliss.

Downside:

as long as you dont have utter dicks for housemates you can do all this stuff with flatmates there anyway. i always did. except the veggie one. veggies are assholes to live with

Pets can fill part of a void, but they can't replace human interaction. We're all built to need it, or humanity would die out.

I like living alone, but I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement

i can think of nothing that would have made my living alone worse than adding a sh!ting, stinking, stupid animal into the equation. yay! i have noone to talk to AND my dvds are all chewed to sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Hmm... this thread is making me think! I'm moving abroad for 10 months later in the year, and I'm trying to decide whether to get an apartment on my own or a flat share. I've never done either before, was either living with the parents or living with my boyfriend. Money wise the flat share is better, plus being in a foreign country it'd be nice to have a contact straight away. But then again...the stuff here about living alone sounds amazing - I think I'd love it! And since I'd be there less than a year, and it sounds like the novelty wears off for some around then it works out very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The only down side to living alone is not having anyone to split the bills with. Other than that, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

To repeat a lot of the above, being able to wander around naked/ crack one off in the living room whenever I feel like it

Having control of TV, fridge, and temperature (hate a hot room, even during winter), clean when I want

Shout at the TV/ other inanimate objects with no judgement, apart from neighbours maybe

Fall in as drunk as I want and lie around as hungover as I want in peace and quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I lived alone for 9 months there last year and for me the biggest advantages were slobbing around the house in whatever slobby ensemble I found in my wardrobe whenever I pleased, not having to stifle bad moods just to be civil/normal and also I have a propensity to set stuff on fire by accident. This has caused problems with previous housemates who were (justifiably in fairness to them) scared I'd burn the flat down and kill them. While living alone, various things caught on fire and I'd no one there to give me Stink Eye. Bliss.

Will you marry me?
    Na, I'm happy being a bachelor boy.

Hard luck, woman.:p

a lot of this "living alone is great" stuff sounds like youre trying to convince yourselves more than anything. the advantages
    seem to be mostly nudity and masturbatory. woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Hmm... this thread is making me think! I'm moving abroad for 10 months later in the year, and I'm trying to decide whether to get an apartment on my own or a flat share. I've never done either before, was either living with the parents or living with my boyfriend. Money wise the flat share is better, plus being in a foreign country it'd be nice to have a contact straight away. But then again...the stuff here about living alone sounds amazing - I think I'd love it! And since I'd be there less than a year, and it sounds like the novelty wears off for some around then it works out very well.
    As I said in my last post though, it would probably be lonely to live alone in a new place where you don't know anyone. Plus, you've never experienced a house/flat share, which has its good points too. I'd recommend the share - living with one or two isn't too bad. Any more than that though is getting crowded, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I hate to use one of those UV lights on some of the sofas mentioned in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

a lot of this "living alone is great" stuff sounds like youre trying to convince yourselves more than anything. the advantages
    seem to be mostly nudity and masturbatory. woohoo!
    It's cheaper to live in houseshare so trust me, I prefer living on my own. Read the thread about housemates in Ranting and Raving and then tell me what's so great about sharing. I only wish I had moved into my own place sooner.

Advertisement