Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dkhill47 wrote: »
    i know the 6 month rule reply still applies, but when i asked when i could reapply i was told 6 mounts from the date of you test! what test was that? if you fail at interview is it 6 mounts from that date or if you fail at aptitude test is is 6 mounts from that date?:confused:

yeah this seems to differ... i was initially told that same thing but now what im informed from PAS is that it is 6month the from initial application i.e. apply in May wait until november (should there be a recruitment drive) irrepective of how far you get in the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

kerry4sam wrote: »
    yeah this seems to differ... i was initially told that same thing but now what im informed from PAS is that it is 6month the from initial application i.e. apply in May wait until november (should there be a recruitment drive) irrepective of how far you get in the process

just emailed PAS to "try" and clear it up. trying not to get hopes up!:)

Emailed PAS to confirm when candidates can reapply. this is what they said. "Candidates would need to wait a minimum of six months from the date on which they sat the aptitude tests so therefore you would not be eligible to apply in november, as you sat your aptitude test in june. If a campaign is advertised after the six months then you would be eligible"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 successful

---SNIP

Here is not the place to sell your, what i can only describe as a "used Kilroys garda trainee preparation pack"

You have posted it here 7 times so this is your final warning. Do it again and recieve a ban from ES forum.

Chief---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

successful wrote: »

I'll give you 20 for it if you can guarantee I will get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Succesfull has been banned for at least 10 days from this forum for attempting to sell copyrighted material despite a warning from Chief and I have given a warning to one poster who breached the forum charter by mentioning this product and where it came from. Any further breaches of the charter will be dealt with fairly but please keep in mind the charter is there to protect users and boards.ie.

If you feel a poster is trolling, spamming (in this case) or breaching the charter in any way please use the Report button. It can be found on each post on the bottom left, third one in. Myself and the Mods can then review it and take action if needed.

thanks

TheNog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Well I met my local Super today, it went really well. It was very relaxed and just a general chat really. He said he would have no problem at all recommending my application :) Yay! So pleased to have another hurdle out of the way!

Good news Blue Belle. Most Supers are good enough to just have a general chit chat and a just to get to know you. I have heard and actually experienced Supers (in my case acting Super) ask really tough questions etc.

Anyway happy days for ye and onto the next stage with ye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Well done Blue-belle, i met my super a couple weeks ago, same thing, just a very casual chat. He knew i had taken time off the middle of work so he just went through it quick as he didn't want me to be late back :)

• Advertisement

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Well I met my local Super today, it went really well. It was very relaxed and just a general chat really. He said he would have no problem at all recommending my application :) Yay! So pleased to have another hurdle out of the way!

hey blue bell, havent been on here for a while, where are you in the hole process now!

MOG7 wrote: »
    Well done Blue-belle, i met my super a couple weeks ago, same thing, just a very casual chat. He knew i had taken time off the middle of work so he just went through it quick as he didn't want me to be late back :)

same to you mog7, how are you getting on?

Hey dkhill47.. I'm waiting on background checks to be finished so I can get a date for my medical. Praying for feb now but then again I suppose so are a lot of other people! Here's hoping! How are you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 canonh21

Does anybody Know exactly what is required to pass the Verbal Evaluation test? I have heard 24/60 and also 45/60 but dont know which one to go by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 midlander22

Hey.

I am hoping to to sit the ap test in 09 at next recuitment drive, I tried 3 years ago but was not successful. I really want to join but am so worried that I will never pass this ap test. This year is gonna be harder with less numbers goin through and I cant see myself being placed in the top 100 or whatever to go through . I am taking a home study course now and intend to study from now till I sit the exam. I have a basic pass in my leaving cert and im not 'overly' clever when it comes to tests like this and esp with the time limit. I am gonna work my ass off and do my best but I feel it will not be enough. Am I worrying too much?? What more can I do?? Any advise??

Hi Midlander. I did a one-day course for the aptitude test which was really helpful because they go through the answers for all of your practice goes and explain the answers for each, so you then know what to look out for in the real thing. I didnt do the home study one so I cant compare them but I would highly recommend the course! Other than that practice practice practice, and make sure you understand the reason behind each correct answer so youre prepared for any question they throw. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 midlander22

Thanks for the help. I took the one day course before i sat the exam 3 years ago. was younger then and not as determined as i am now. Im so scared that il fail and then im back to square one again.

The key to passing all rounds of your application is preparation, preparation, preparation. Before your aptitude test do as many of the tests you can find on the Internet. You can find some free ones out there. For the interview preparation can be done by doign interviews for other jobs and talking to as many guards as possible about the job itself. It is very important to talk to guards in your local area to find out the main problems within your district.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if you're expected to answer all 40 questions in the analytical reasoning section within 20 mins?? That seems a bit crazy doesn't it??

I didnt answer all of them, but most of them, I done a day course and they give u a few fantastic tips, where u no the answers staraight away. If it wasnt coming to me quickly, I just moved on and tried to come back to it. The first and last part are easy to get finished, but I would strongly recommend a day course, I used 2 books to practice part 2. I done them over and over again. I got in top 30 in my batch, so i was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Hi Guys, does anybody have a copy of the application form that is sent in to apply for the apptitude test? Just curous to know what it looks like.

Thanks

Hi Guys, does anybody have a copy of the application form that is sent in to apply for the apptitude test? Just curous to know what it looks like.

Thanks

hey shanehillview you will find it here http://www.publicjobs.ie/en/campaign/inprogress.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

wow almost a six-month bump in this here thread, realisation of how quiet things are.

wow almost a six-month bump in this here thread, realisation of how quiet things are.

i know, another 6 months i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sunnyevvo

hey guys this is my first time posting on this thread and i hope someone sees it as its been very quiet lately. Basically I hate to appear like a user but any helpful info about courses and books to prepare would be really useful I made a mess of the process last time i was under the assumption that if i applied and got through i would have been called immediately and i was still in college so i thought i wouldnt be able to do it... i foolishly didnt apply and im kicking myself now. Ive always wanted to be a garda but i wanted to wait till i had a few years and a degree under my belt for life experience. so now im just waiting for the chance.. Any info would be greatly appreciated... Im relatively new to posting on boards but im really glad that i came across this forum everyone seems really nice and helpful.... So thanks in advance if anyone wants to PM me :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Hey Sunny,

I am one of the gang that have all stages of The Garda Recruitment process complete, and hopefully we will be called to Templemore soon. For starters you could do as much research into the Gardai as possible, learn a little regarding relevent government ministers etc.Find yourself a local Garda that will vouch for you on the background check application forms. Consider looking into a pre-Garda entry course, they are good for covering apptitude test techniques and interview skills. There is a knack to passing the apptitude test, and certain things you should and should not say in the interview. Passing the first 2 stages you will then be required to sit a medical in Dublin, and then a Physical Competency Test in Templemore. Eyes and weight are the big issues for the medical, and PCT should be no problem if you have any level of fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sunnyevvo

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Hey Sunny,

I am one of the gang that have all stages of The Garda Recruitment process complete, and hopefully we will be called to Templemore soon. For starters you could do as much research into the Gardai as possible, learn a little regarding relevent government ministers etc.Find yourself a local Garda that will vouch for you on the background check application forms. Consider looking into a pre-Garda entry course, they are good for covering apptitude test techniques and interview skills. There is a knack to passing the apptitude test, and certain things you should and should not say in the interview. Passing the first 2 stages you will then be required to sit a medical in Dublin, and then a Physical Competency Test in Templemore. Eyes and weight are the big issues for the medical, and PCT should be no problem if you have any level of fitness.

wow i thought id be waiting a few weeks at least for a reply thanks adrian. i just want to give myself a good shot at it. im thinking about the apptitude mainly even though im prob thinking about it two years too early lol... imm kicking myself about last time though. well done on getting through all of the stages it must have been tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karltkd

hi fokes im new here just wondering if you could pm me any good sites for the aptitude tests online or any good study courses, i know its been asked over and over but just cant find anything, hoping for a recruitment soon cause been waiting since the last one in 2008,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cuponthefloor

karltkd wrote: »
    hi fokes im new here just wondering if you could pm me any good sites for the aptitude tests online or any good study courses, i know its been asked over and over but just cant find anything, hoping for a recruitment soon cause been waiting since the last one in 2008,

I would love if someone could send me the same infor. Thanks in advance guys. ive been searching like mad and i cant find any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karltkd

hi cuponthefloor, i still havent received anything yet from any1 off here, but i done my own research and found a few sites that do boooklets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

<mod snip>
    I would suggest buying a book out of your book shop on aptitude tests, at least it will give you a fair idea how they work.. Just pratice, practice practice. Try get as much answered as you can and dont spend too long on one question, as the time will fly in there.I did my interview and Aptitude test back in 2008 so im waiting a bit. if anyone needs any other questions helped with , just drop me a pm. :D best of luck too all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

In the garda aptitude test, is there a section on verbal ability? As in you are given a passage and you have to say wether statements are true, false or cannot say? Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

pento wrote: »
    In the garda aptitude test, is there a section on verbal ability? As in you are given a passage and you have to say wether statements are true, false or cannot say? Any info would be appreciated.

Verbal Reasoning. Yes, there is a test on those, but I'm pretty sure that exam is actually on the day you do the interview not the day of the aptitude tests. I'm open to correction on that though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

Apologies if this was posted before just a quick question-

Can anyone tell me the 3/4 questions they ask when sending in your application?? they are some life scenarios?? They will be looked at and spoken about at interview stage i think...

Thanks
    k

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elexus86

Hey,
    I am just wanting to know if anyone who was sucessful at the app test what books would you suggest to help me prepare for the test.

Cheers

elexus86 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I am just wanting to know if anyone who was sucessful at the app test what books would you suggest to help me prepare for the test.

Cheers

PM sent, as advertising is not allowed on the forum.

Can anyone else who wants it please pm me. This is taking the thread way off topic.

EDIT: I've deleted a good few posts from people asking for info from me to try keep some continuity on the thread in case anyone was wondering where their post went.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 atreyugk

hey guys this is my first time posting.

im just looking for information on the aptitude test, what it entails, are there any tips you can give in preparation for the test etc... im hoping, along with whats seems like thousands of other people, to apply for the 100 or so spots available this year in AGS, and i would like to be as prepared as possible when the recruitment starts this year!!!

cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

atreyugk wrote: »
    hey guys this is my first time posting.

im just looking for information on the aptitude test, what it entails, are there any tips you can give in preparation for the test etc... im hoping, along with whats seems like thousands of other people, to apply for the 100 or so spots available this year in AGS, and i would like to be as prepared as possible when the recruitment starts this year!!!

cheers...

there should be an aptitude test thread here somewhere..bad news though, you wont get anywhere near making the 100 or so places this year - there is already approx 300 on the panel with almost all the stages completed..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

I'm a little bit confused to what people are talking about,had anybody done their aptitude test???I'm registered to be notified when the recruitment begins,like does anybody know what's going on with the recruitment,I'm 18 I have 2 family members in the force so that should help,as much info as possible will be great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Thekid2010 wrote: »
    I'm a little bit confused to what people are talking about,had anybody done their aptitude test???I'm registered to be notified when the recruitment begins,like does anybody know what's going on with the recruitment,I'm 18 I have 2 family members in the force so that should help,as much info as possible will be great..

Everyone has an equal chance of getting in you have to pass each stage of the application process and first off is the aptitude test which is correct by a computer so no has any say in this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 galwaygirl1234

Hey guys, new to the board but wondering can anyone tell me if there are sample aptitude tests available online (specific to the gardai) or are they just available through prep courses??

Cheers!

Hey guys, new to the board but wondering can anyone tell me if there are sample aptitude tests available online (specific to the gardai) or are they just available through prep courses??

Cheers!

Hi Galwaygirl,
    When a new competition opens and you get your competition number from PAS they post some practice material on their website- sample questions etc so that you can practice them and you know what you are looking for. After that you can google aptitude tests and you'll know which ones are relevant and which ones aren't. To be honest, I didn't find the ones on the internet much use(although that may have changed in 2 and a half years!), and in my personal opinion a course is money well spent for anyone serious about joining AGS. Many people may well disagree with me on that one. Best of luck with it and welcome to the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Hi two questions, first of all does anyone know if publicjobs would still have my details on file from 2008 campaign as in my scoring at each stage. If so do they give a break down on scoring for stage 1?
    I have contacted public jobs but havent got an answer so before I try again thought id try on here first.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Just sent you both on a PM :)

Could one of you pm me the name of the book..in bad need of study material :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MArk2486

Mad that the last activity was 2010, three years with no recruitment. Been a long wait for people! May start getting a bit busy again now over the next few weeks... :D

MArk2486 wrote: »
    Mad that the last activity was 2010, three years with no recruitment. Been a long wait for people! May start getting a bit busy again now over the next few weeks... :D

Masd isnt it! Hopefully they come back on this thread and build up some handy info..been waiting 3 years for this recruitment, knowing its around the corner makes me sh**t myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Hi, could some recommend me a good book through a PM. Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Good Afternoon all,

Should anyone here have any contacts for or know of where Preparation aptitude tests are currently being run could you please PM me with contact details for same

Or should you recommend any aptitude test books please also PM me.

Thanks in advance,
    Mycro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

mycro89 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all,

Should anyone here have any contacts for or know of where Preparation aptitude tests are currently being run could you please PM me with contact details for same

Or should you recommend any aptitude test books please also PM me.

Thanks in advance,
    Mycro.

Same here, please.

Some online Analytical ( non-verbal ) Reasoning tests - just be warned they are nearly impossible and from what I see they are harder than the real thing the PAS use.

http://www.indiabix.com/non-verbal-reasoning/series/001010

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Fegten wrote: »
    Some online Analytical ( non-verbal ) Reasoning tests - just be warned they are nearly impossible and from what I see they are harder than the real thing the PAS use.

http://www.indiabix.com/non-verbal-reasoning/series/001010

Just what I was looking for! Fair Play, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement