Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was Irelands lowest moment?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Relax! You're as Irish as I am.

Like it or lump it, though (and I don't like it!) - there is a political division that exists.

There is also, unfortunately, as a result of that political division - an enormous difference in the reality of daily life for people on both sides of the border.
    Less so, now, than before the Good Friday agreement - but a difference, nevertheless.

That doesn't make you any less Irish than me - it just means that I was fortunate enough to grow up in a peaceful society, where the violence in the North was very far removed from my daily life, and if it weren't for occasional shopping trips there, it would have been hard to believe that this violence was happening a 90 minute drive out the road.

Just to point out your psychic powers of nationality prediction are a little off....
    Assuming that I'm as Irish as you are?
    Because you somehow have the idea I'm from somewhere up North?
    I ain't, I'm from Munster, but great to see ya leaping to ill-informed conclusions!

The rest of the nonsense you posted there about a ''peaceful society'' only serves to reiterate the view that your post perpetuates, that anyone from north isn't ''Irish'' and those problems have no place being discussed in an ''Irelands lowest point'' thread....
    That reply smacks of Nimbyism....
    It didn't affect you so it doesn't actually matter....
    Yet in earlier post you made on this thread, you discounted the effect of the Omagh bombing as a person's perceived low point in comparison to Cromwell...
    How did the Cromwellian invasion affect you personally then?

The fact remains that those ''northern problems'' while a whole 90mins away from your goodself(and even further away from me) were in our back yard and are\were an Irish problem.

Ireland wasn't a dominion after the enactment of the '37 constitution. The Republic of Ireland act was only to give further clarity to the situation.

Yes it was a Dominion.
    Granted from 37-49 we no longer had a Governer general appointed by the crown.
    The fact remains that a massive amount of ambiguity about who was the head of state, king or president existed until 1949.

Dominion status ended with our declaration of the Republic, and our exiting of the Commonwealth in 1949.
    Being part of the Commonwealth cemented recognition as a Dominion.
    As Republics could not be part of the commonwealth prior to the passage of the Westminister, Ireland Act 1949 which offered Ireland the chance to Retain commonwealth status(but was drafted to accomodate India).

There's plenty of links and info regarding the government acts, and such that will confirm end of Dominion\Commonwealth status.
    Defacto is not actual independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

banie01 wrote: »
    Just to point out your psychic powers of nationality prediction are a little off....
    Assuming that I'm as Irish as you are?
    Because you somehow have the idea I'm from somewhere up North?
    I ain't, I'm from Munster, but great to see ya leaping to ill-informed conclusions!

The rest of the nonsense you posted there about a ''peaceful society'' only serves to reiterate the view that your post perpetuates, that anyone from north isn't ''Irish'' and those problems have no place being discussed in an ''Irelands lowest point'' thread....
    That reply smacks of Nimbyism....
    It didn't affect you so it doesn't actually matter....
    Yet in earlier post you made on this thread, you discounted the effect of the Omagh bombing as a person's perceived low point in comparison to Cromwell...
    How did the Cromwellian invasion affect you personally then?

The fact remains that those ''northern problems'' while a whole 90mins away from your goodself(and even further away from me) were in our back yard and are\were an Irish problem.

Actually, if you were familiar with my posting history, you might just have a very vague idea just how wrong your accusations are - given that I've stated frequently on this very forum that Irish Nationalists in Northern Ireland are Irish - and that, for the life of me, I can't understand how Unionists from the North, whose families have lived here for four hundred years, can deny any Irish heritage.

I do apologise for assuming you're from the North - apart from that, I'll stand over everything I said.

Note that if you can show me - in any post I've ever written on Boards - where I've said that people from the North aren't Irish - I'll apologise unreservedly to the people of Northern Ireland.
    The problem for you, is that you will find no such post.

I merely pointed out that the "troubles" in the North weren't reflective of Ireland as a whole. They weren't. The other assumptions are entirely your own.

While we're at it - what makes you assume that the troubles in the North didn't affect me personally?
    Your psychic powers are astonishing - unfortunately, they're also 100% incorrect.

Neither, for the record, is my opinion that thousands of deaths, together with the displacement of thousands of others, is not a lower point in Irelands history than the death of 29 people in Omagh -as tragic as those 29 deaths were - in any way either invalid, or disrespectful to those who died in Omagh.

Before you reply, might I respectfully suggest that you read back over some of my posts on Northern Ireland.
    They might just give you a more informed opinion of what I think about Northern Ireland than the assumptions that you are making, that make you appear so angry!

Actually, if you were familiar with my posting history, you might just have a very vague idea just how wrong your accusations are - given that I've stated frequently on this very forum that Irish Nationalists in Northern Ireland are Irish - and that, for the life of me, I can't understand how Unionists from the North, whose families have lived here for four hundred years, can deny any Irish heritage.

I do apologise for assuming you're from the North - apart from that, I'll stand over everything I said.

Note that if you can show me - in any post I've ever written on Boards - where I've said that people from the North aren't Irish - I'll apologise unreservedly to the people of Northern Ireland.
    The problem for you, is that you will find no such post.

I merely pointed out that the "troubles" in the North weren't reflective of Ireland as a whole. They weren't. The other assumptions are entirely your own.

While we're at it - what makes you assume that the troubles in the North didn't affect me personally?
    Your psychic powers are astonishing - unfortunately, they're also 100% incorrect.

Neither, for the record, is my opinion that thousands of deaths, together with the displacement of thousands of others, is not a lower point in Irelands history than the death of 29 people in Omagh -as tragic as those 29 deaths were - in any way either invalid, or disrespectful to those who died in Omagh.

Before you reply, might I respectfully suggest that you read back over some of my posts on Northern Ireland.
    They might just give you a more informed opinion of what I think about Northern Ireland than the assumptions that you are making, that make you appear so angry!

Your posting history outside this thread is irrelevant to me as I've not interacted with you anywhere else.
    Nor am I angry.
    As for reading over your posting history to gauge what your feelings are in general towards the north, I don't really care.
    I based my response to you on your statements on this thread.
    Statements like this one
    Seriously? The loss of 29 lives, as tragic as it was, is worse than the deaths of tens of thousands?
    Your sense of perspective is, er, unusual.
    An unusual sense of perspective?
    Your perspective is that an event 360 years ago is worse than events ongoing for 40yrs + 90mins away and ?(being conservative and taking the civil rights issues as the start point of this particular bout of the troubles)
    Granted in bodycount yes it does top it....
    But in terms of actual visceral impact?
    Of people having 1st hand knowledge of the events and personal stories to share about?
    Which is what I qualified my own OP, with....
    Of all the event's that stand out in my own lifetimes memory...
    Cromwells rape of Ireland wasn't shown worldwide across multiple media outlets with the Tagline, ''Religious tensions and terrorism in Ireland''
    The events I referenced were...
    As was Omagh.

I didn't discount or belittle someone elses interpretation of the question based on their unusual sense of perspective, because the events of our recent past are often a personal memory and a lot fresher to them than a history book.
    That which can shake the world, can matter not a jot to someone close at hand yet not involved.
    But when it hits the media and that is how your country is displayed to the world.
    Then I think it qualifies as mighty low.

Cromwell bad and all as he was isn't how many people in the wider world got presented with their 1st glimpse of Ireland.
    And as for the events I referenced not affecting most of Ireland because you lived in a peaceful area....
    So did I, but...
    And this is important to note, you said yourself earlier
    where the violence in the North was very far removed from my daily life, and if it weren't for occasional shopping trips there, it would have been hard to believe that this violence was happening a 90 minute drive out the road.
    That 90 minute drive was less than many people I worked with at the time spent commuting to the office.
    90 minutes was a world away for you, for the folks who saw these things on the news and then looked at a map....
    Its all the same place.
    Those people dont realise that the whole country wasn't like that, that the vast majority of us live quiet lives, in a relatively non violent country.
    And that is why I chose what I did as a low point, at the dawn of instant communication, and 24hr news Ireland was portrayed around the world as being like France during the hugoenot repression or Germany during the 30yrs war.
    And what was worse is that those images displayed the brutalisation of children.
    That is why I chose that particular event, because of how it displayed Ireland to the world.
    While it was far away from us, to the average Yank\European....
    We are all one and the same.

Cromwell is an easy target.
    Yes he caused huge privations in Ireland yes and whats more he did while ramming puritanical liturgy down the throats of the poor Irish catholic....
    All while he stabled horses in a cathedral...
    He would be a much less reviled figure if he left religion out of it ;)sword and stabled horses in a church....
    He became a bogey man that the church could trot out to instill fear and control, and to inspire in remembered pain.

In terms of destruction of the Gael-Irish culture Cromwell pales into insignifigance compared to the Elizabethen and Jamesian plantations broke the power of the Irish lords and were a major causal factor in the Cromwellian invasion in the 1st place as the still extant Irish lords hoped that by rallying to the Royalist cause they could regain that which they's lost in the plantations
    But in reality blaming Cromwell in isolation is akin to discounting the effect that ww1 and Versailles had in leading to the ww2...
    Without 1, we would not have had the other...
    Without the Elizabethen and Jamesian Land grab and imposition of English more's on Ireland and the displacement of the Hiberno-Norman and Gaelic nobility.
    The situation whereby Cromwell needed to come to Ireland would never have arisen.
    The plantations and the need to break the Hiberno-Norman/Gaelic power(which was hugely diminished long before Cromwell) were and are a causal factor in much of whats gone wrong on this little rock of ours.
    You can rightly extrapolate the 9 years war,Cromwell,the Williamite wars, The Penal Laws and the current divided state of ulster along with a myriad other problems all originating in the Plantations

As for pointing out where you said the people of Northern Ireland weren't Irish, well you didn't in so many words.
    But you left yourself very open to interpretation that way when you quoted me in bold
    That, those images were Ireland, thats what we as a people were!
    and replied that
    You're confusing Northern Ireland with the Island of Ireland, tbf.
    Implying that somehow they aren't so Irish after all(Compared to rest of us at least),
    But like I said its a matter of context and interpretation rather than anything you actually said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,253 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Home Tax is the lowest moment.
    Making the country's under-pressure home owners pay for the elite millionaires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

quasimoron wrote: »
    Their babies being sold to Americans.The lack of rights for women in general.

On that note. 100,000 march against the war in iraq and irish involvement. Bertie didn't even pause for breath in his rush to offer shannon to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Fade Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

In fairness Ireland paying for the rich elite for many years before this..

Heck there was a tax on the number of windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

K-9 wrote: »
    Kerry babies case, just a single case that I think finally broke the stigma of unmarried mothers in Ireland, and maybe in some way eventually led to more people speaking up about different church/state scandals in a small, insular state. People finally thought about what brings a woman to do something like that, hide the shame from an "illegitimate" birth, rather than think well, "she did something shameful, she was right to cover it up".

The sadness is it took something like that to be the nadir.

Just on the DeV thing, no fan of him, but his defence of Irish and other countries neutrality was his highest moment. He stood up to bullying from Churchill and that informed Irish opinion in the UN in the 50's on African independence and sovereignty. There used to be a time Ireland used to play an important part in the U.N, you'd need to be about 80 to remember it.

I remember that case being all over the news at the time, don't think the full facts of what happened ever really came out TBH.

When you look back that year was indeed a sad one considering that it was also the year that Anne Lovett tragically died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The Spike.
    Both of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And it's predecessor the League of Nations. Sean Lester was the LoN's governor of Danzig from 1934 to 1936 before becoming Secretary General. A candidate for fledgling Ireland's proudest moment perhaps?

Interesting fact, never knew that, makes a good counter balance to Dev's isolationism on so many other topics.
    With this level of exposure on the world stage, it does beg the question why Ireland chose not to get involved, especially with the links to Danzig. BUT, in hindsight, I think Dev did the right thing although signing a book of condolence for Hitler was a bizarre thing to do.

It seems very odd now all right, but I do remember reading that James Dillion, who resigned from FG because of his anti-neutrality stance, agreed DeV did the diplomatically correct thing. Dillon later became FG leader.

Frank Aiken was the Irish representative at the UN during the 50's, fascinating character, very divisive though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Your posting history outside this thread is irrelevant to me as I've not interacted with you anywhere else.
    Nor am I angry.
    As for reading over your posting history to gauge what your feelings are in general towards the north, I don't really care.
    I based my response to you on your statements on this thread.
    Statements like this one

Actually, you based your assumptions on your interpretation of what I said.
    An unusual sense of perspective?
    Your perspective is that an event 360 years ago is worse than events ongoing for 40yrs + 90mins away and ?(being conservative and taking the civil rights issues as the start point of this particular bout of the troubles)
    Granted in bodycount yes it does top it....
    But in terms of actual visceral impact?
    Of people having 1st hand knowledge of the events and personal stories to share about?
    Which is what I qualified my own OP, with....
    Cromwells rape of Ireland wasn't shown worldwide across multiple media outlets with the Tagline, ''Religious tensions and terrorism in Ireland''
    The events I referenced were...
    As was Omagh.

I didn't discount or belittle someone elses interpretation of the question based on their unusual sense of perspective, because the events of our recent past are often a personal memory and a lot fresher to them than a history book.
    That which can shake the world, can matter not a jot to someone close at hand yet not involved.
    But when it hits the media and that is how your country is displayed to the world.
    Then I think it qualifies as mighty low.

I think you'll find the thread title is "What was Irelands lowest moment" not "What contribution did the "troubles" make to Irelands image abroad"

Cromwell bad and all as he was isn't how many people in the wider world got presented with their 1st glimpse of Ireland.
    And as for the events I referenced not affecting most of Ireland because you lived in a peaceful area....
    So did I, but...
    And this is important to note, you said yourself earlier
    That 90 minute drive was less than many people I worked with at the time spent commuting to the office.
    90 minutes was a world away for you, for the folks who saw these things on the news and then looked at a map....
    Its all the same place.
    Those people dont realise that the whole country wasn't like that, that the vast majority of us live quiet lives, in a relatively non violent country.
    And that is why I chose what I did as a low point, at the dawn of instant communication, and 24hr news Ireland was portrayed around the world as being like France during the hugoenot repression or Germany during the 30yrs war.
    And what was worse is that those images displayed the brutalisation of children.
    That is why I chose that particular event, because of how it displayed Ireland to the world.
    While it was far away from us, to the average Yank\European....
    We are all one and the same.

Yes. But you are concentrating on the Worlds perception of Ireland - and I'm concentrating on the History of the Country as a whole.

Cromwell is an easy target.
    Yes he caused huge privations in Ireland yes and whats more he did while ramming puritanical liturgy down the throats of the poor Irish catholic....
    All while he stabled horses in a cathedral...
    He would be a much less reviled figure if he left religion out of it ;)sword and stabled horses in a church....
    He became a bogey man that the church could trot out to instill fear and control, and to inspire in remembered pain.

In terms of destruction of the Gael-Irish culture Cromwell pales into insignifigance compared to the Elizabethen and Jamesian plantations broke the power of the Irish lords and were a major causal factor in the Cromwellian invasion in the 1st place as the still extant Irish lords hoped that by rallying to the Royalist cause they could regain that which they's lost in the plantations
    But in reality blaming Cromwell in isolation is akin to discounting the effect that ww1 and Versailles had in leading to the ww2...
    Without 1, we would not have had the other...
    Without the Elizabethen and Jamesian Land grab and imposition of English more's on Ireland and the displacement of the Hiberno-Norman and Gaelic nobility.
    The situation whereby Cromwell needed to come to Ireland would never have arisen.
    The plantations and the need to break the Hiberno-Norman/Gaelic power(which was hugely diminished long before Cromwell) were and are a causal factor in much of whats gone wrong on this little rock of ours.
    You can rightly extrapolate the 9 years war,Cromwell,the Williamite wars, The Penal Laws and the current divided state of ulster along with a myriad other problems all originating in the Plantations

I wouldn't say Cromwell was an easy target, though much of what you said is true. I've made a similar point, though with reference to the planters, as opposed to Cromwell, recently, myself.

Without the British monarchies lust for power and riches, there would have been considerably fewer deaths in Ireland.
    Mind you, without Cromwells sectarian inclinations, it could be argued that there would also have been a different outcome.
    As far as I'm concerned, the majority of the blame lies with the instigators, ie. The British monarchy, but that doesn't exonerate Cromwell for his cruelty, either.
    The one needed the other to be effective.

As for pointing out where you said the people of Northern Ireland weren't Irish, well you didn't in so many words.
    But you left yourself very open to interpretation that way when you quoted me in bold

and replied that

Implying that somehow they aren't so Irish after all(Compared to rest of us at least),
    But like I said its a matter of context and interpretation rather than anything you actually said.

Actually, I view the people of Northern Ireland as Irish. Every bit as Irish as you, or me.

I merely wanted to make the point that all of Ireland doesn't, and didn't, at that time, engage in sectarianism.

I'm inclined to wonder have you spent much time in Northern Ireland?
    I don't mean that in an offensive way - it's just that you'd be amazed how many times I've come across genuine fear from (some) Loyalists in the North, just because I'm Irish, together with amazement when they're told that Protestants and Catholics get on perfectly well as friends and neighbours on this side of the Border.
    There is a perception among some people in the North that sectarianism existed to the same level in the Republic (though plenty of others holiday here frequently). It's less apparent now than ten or twenty years ago, but tensions do still run beneath the surface, and are, imo , sometimes exploited for political reasons, from time to time.

It was in that context that I posted what I did - not what you interpreted my post to mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

When the Green Party got into bed with FF and wrecked 30 years of progress that they had achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

when scilachii scored in italia 90

Absolutely . . the horror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Singularity 1

When Dustin entered the Eurovision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Personally I would have went for something like this

The car or the wig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

blade1 wrote: »
    The car or the wig?

Both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

fryup wrote: »
    a hate group by the name of the IRA who plant bombs and kill innocent people

The IRA secured our country's independence ya whingey west brit, and they were the only ones who defended the nationalists in the north while the cowardly south stood by and did nothing. They never would of existed if it wasn't for the British treating us like **** in our own country.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

This

I blame the teachers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

This

I blame the teachers....

That picture was staged apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Technically, Ireland's lowest moment was during its worst recorded flood. -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The day the troika landed in Dublin while our Taoiseach proclaimed on TV "We're not getting a bailout lads" :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

jugger0 wrote: »
    The IRA secured our country's independence ya whingey west brit, and they were the only ones who defended the nationalists in the north while the cowardly south stood by and did nothing. They never would of existed if it wasn't for the British treating us like **** in our own country.

Most of us from the "cowardly south" don't really want a separate country like the 6 counties/NI foisted on us by a bunch of eejits there.

We have a Republic of Ireland. The nation is whole again. Move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually 2007 was even more shameful given that we knew so much more about the antics of Bertie and Ray Burke and Charlie Haughie and Pee Flynn and Liam Lawlor and Bev Flynn and Ivor Callelly and Denis Foley

You think that's bad - most recent polls in the Irish Times FF is the most popular party in the state again.

- Crazy. Irish people never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

God knows the millionaires are living in ditches these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

old hippy wrote: »
    Most of us from the "cowardly south" don't really want a separate country like the 6 counties/NI foisted on us by a bunch of eejits there.

We have a Republic of Ireland. The nation is whole again. Move along.

Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mr Guinness.

Ends kenny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Speak for yourself.

Well, it's better than blowing things up in my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Our neutrality stance in WW2 ....

Have a read of Operation Kathleen, 2nd paragraph below ---- its very funny.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_G%C3%B6rtz

But Ireland was a backward, xenophobic place then.... oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Fr. Neill Horan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Probably that alright.
    New question then, What was Ireland's lowest moment besides The Famine?

The Cromwellian wars and subsequent transplantations and enslavements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Singularity 1

Introducing the reversing around the corner into the driving test. Fecking stupid yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

When the Irishman got a real taste of money and power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

When we pulled down our trousers,bent over and voted yes to the eu fiscal treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

The Treaty of Mellifont 1603 after the loss of the nine years war, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executions_during_the_Irish_Civil_War#The_Ballyseedy_Massacre_and_its_aftermath
    March 1923, nine Republican prisoners were taken from Ballymullen barracks in Tralee to Ballyseedy crossroads and tied to a landmine which was then detonated, after which the survivors were machine-gunned. One of the prisoners, Stephen Fuller, was blown to safety by the blast of the explosion. He was taken in at the nearby home of Michael and Hannah Curran. They cared for him and, although badly injured, he survived. The Free State troops in nearby Tralee had prepared nine coffins and were surprised to find only eight bodies on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

For me its probably the fact that Fianna Fáil are back on top of the opinion polls.

I would sooner kill myself than see another Fianna Fáil Taoiseach take power by my vote. If they are in power in 4 years time I will emigrate. The voting public have short memories if they believe to the promises of Fianna Fáil so soon after their corruptness and blatant laziness brought my country to her knees.

It was not the acceptance of the bailout or the fiscal treaty. It was what came immediately before it. The in-your-face lies and blunders and choices purely for personal gain.

It sickens me to hear their hypocrisy in the Dáil or to hear that the public want them back in power.

Advertisement