Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

W2D2 complete. Very disappointed with it though. My knees are fine when walking, but I could feel them a small bit while running and I wasn't sure whether to carry on through it or not. It wasn't pain, I could just...feel them, if that makes sense.

I did carry on, though. Slowly and carefully, and it's done. I'm wondering whether I should carry on with it or not, though...or whether I should lose some weight first, because I'm sure that would be kinder to the joints. But I really quite like the running when I'm not worrying about the joints, so maybe I'll have a chat to my GP (or would a personal trainer-type-person be better?) and see what she says.

w6d2 disaster :rolleyes:
    didnt expect it to go well anyway in the state im in, ill give it another go on sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm thinking about getting a Nike plus sensor to keep track of my runs (you put it in your shoe), does anyone use anything like it? I run outside so have no idea of the distance I'm covering or if my speed is too fast or slow so think something like this would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Started this on monday so tomorrow will be my w1d3, found the first two days ok so far so hopefully I will keep it going.
    Done the operation transformation 5k on Saturday, only walked it, at a kinda faster than normal speed for me and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Hopefully I will stick at it for the nine wks, at least knowing there are others at the beginners stage with me will help to spurn me on as the weeks go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Started this on monday so tomorrow will be my w1d3, found the first two days ok so far so hopefully I will keep it going.
    Done the operation transformation 5k on Saturday, only walked it, at a kinda faster than normal speed for me and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Hopefully I will stick at it for the nine wks, at least knowing there are others at the beginners stage with me will help to spurn me on as the weeks go on.

I started this as well on Monday, but did a trial one last Friday night just to make sure I wouldn't collapse and die! Looking forward to tomorrow night and (hopefully!) completing Week 1. It is good to know there are so many others out there all trying our best - its another motivation to come on here and post when I've completed a run (well, slow jog/plod!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

So apparently I'm doing a 5mile (which is what...8K?) road race in Killarney on good Friday. Lets see how that goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Western Night, you sound like my kind of woman. I too jog the slowest jog of the world, but it counts as it's not walking!

I just finished Week one for the second time (we moved so i had to stop for a while) and I feel great!! Only thing is, we moved to a REALLY hilly place so it's like jogging in san francisco. I love starting out, all down hill (although it feels like I'm going to fall over and roll all the way down) but the way back is hell, it's steeep uphill, the oul thighs burn and I too get the burny lung :eek:

I'm so excited to be facing Week 2 though and I downloaded Ulleys podcast - thanks Bluewolf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lia_lia wrote: »
    So apparently I'm doing a 5mile (which is what...8K?) road race in Killarney on good Friday. Lets see how that goes!
    Good luck! Hoping to get in a 5 mile race in May/June myself, really want to finally get under 40 minutes for it.

(and yeah, 5 miles is for all intents and purposes 8k)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

I started C25K in January, did up until about Week Six ... and then got bored, because I have the shortest attention span in the world ever. :rolleyes:

BUT I didn't give up! I'm still out running every second night, but instead of running the set distances, I'm just racing against myself now, running the same route each night but aiming to beat my time every time. Which means more running and less walking every time. Basically C25K, but with a bit of competition added in! (Competition against myself. The best kind! :D )

It's working for me so far at least. :) My distances and times are still overwhelmingly unimpressive, but at least I'm seeing a good improvement with every single run. :) And I'm actually loving my runs these days!

Doing the St Patricks Run on March 20th. I'm going to finish in less than 30 minutes. I'm not there yet, but I'll definitely get there. Can't wait. :)

W1d3 finished, today felt easier, that's probably because I done it on the treadmill today instead of the road which I done it on for the last two days. May hit the road again Sunday me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

W1D1 done :) i'm doing it on the threadmill for now before I start doing it on the road. Really glad that I've been going to the gym for the last few weeks & building up my fitness, think I'd have found it torture today if I was starting from scratch.

My goal is to jog/run the Cork womens mini marathon in September, but hopefully it won't take me til September to be fit enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm looking forward to a night run again. The last one was pretty epic, I might go a little bit earlier this time! :)

Had an extra long warm up as I had to walk to my polling centre. :)

Good run today. Slowed down for a little while but I kept the pace up, it's wierd the feeling of circulation my whole body feels prickly :) Lovely cold shower after too.... :) Heaven! :):):)

Wonder should I start W2 on Sunday or Monday?

Had an extra long warm up as I had to walk to my polling centre. :)

Good run today. Slowed down for a little while but I kept the pace up, it's wierd the feeling of circulation my whole body feels prickly :) Lovely cold shower after too.... :) Heaven! :):):)
    Wonder should I start W2 on Sunday or Monday?

Me too, wonder what everyone has done with regards starting week two

Just as a heads up to any of ye who are planning to do the Women's Mini-Marathon, entries open on Wednesday (both online and with the application form in the Herald).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Went to the running class last night. 3 8 minute runs from the Maldron Hotel, around and past the Grand Canal, over the bridge, near the IFSC and back. Felt fantastic after all the stretching and stuff.

I went to bed, cuddled up, felt tired, but a good tired. Then I woke up this morning, and OH MY GOD I couldn't move I was so tired.

It was like the whole week just caught up with me. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Week 6 Day 1 done, so i can enjoy the rest of the weekend. :D
    thanks for the heads up on the mini marathon RK - will definitely be signing up.
    Can anyone suggest somewhere i can get a nice light running rainjacket that has pockets for keys and stuff? the one i have is heavy!

A few jackets reduced on Wiggle at the moment. Also worth having a look at Start Fitness or Sweatshop. If you prefer a bricks and mortar shop, try Elverys, Runways, Amphibian King, Snow and Rock (Dundrum) or Runworx.

I had my last run (W1D3) last night.....Should take the weekend off and start again on monday so my runs will always be mon-wed-fri or could I start W2 this sunday and just keep a day of rest in between?

• Advertisement

If it suits you, I can't see the problem with doing W2D1 on Sunday - you're still getting the rest day in between days and you're more likely to have time for it at the weekend too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I'm looking for a good sports bra for hi impact aerobics and possibly jogging. Size about 38F . I've looked at Bravassimo and Amazon. I am prepared to pay €30 for something that does the job . Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Just went out to do W3D2 but somehow managed to set my app wrong and ended up doing W2D3 - oops! Oh well at least i went out and did something cos I have been putting it off all week. Will do W3D2 tomorrow morn :D

I just finished Week 1 last night - I can't believe I'm getting really addicted to the buzz from running (very slowly!). Went to the gym this morning, but refrained from running just to give my legs a bit of a rest - full rest day tomorrow, then Week 2 begins on Monday!! Actually looking forward to it. :D

bisset wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good sports bra for hi impact aerobics and possibly jogging. Size about 38F . I've looked at Bravassimo and Amazon. I am prepared to pay €30 for something that does the job . Any suggestions?

This (Shock Absorber B4490) is what I wear - in shops here it's slightly more expensive than what you're willing to pay (I think it's about €38 in JJB in Tallaght, which is as cheap as I've seen it outside of sales) but I find it great. Very comfortable and very supportive.

W4D2 done. I can definitely feel my stamina coming back now - even doing a bit of a sprint for the last minute before my 5 minute cooldown walk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Running shoes purchased today. :eek: Question, if ye start off on turf/grass and build up on that, do you have to do anything if you then move to cement/tarmac...so as you don't hurt yourself? [/n00b]

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

W3D2 Done :) According to the GPS on my App i appear to be getting progressively slower everyday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Just in the door from W5D3! Such a beautiful day for a run and so delighted to have finished it. When the voice in my ear said "only 60 seconds left" I even felt so good that I sprinted to the end - must have had a silly looking grin on my face because I was getting very some strange looks :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

SL10 wrote: »
    W3D2 Done :) According to the GPS on my App i appear to be getting progressively slower everyday :o

It's a zen thing. By W8D5 you'll be doing the whole run standing still... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just ran 7K with a friend around the Killarney National Park. First time running outdoors in about 3 years!

Dunno how I didn't collapse. Seeing as I had 3 hours sleep last night and worked a breakfast shift at 7am this morning...BUT I DID IT! Shame she is in college in Limerick and not around to motivate me all the time...doh!

• Advertisement

W2D1 complete! :) It absolutely FLEW!

When I started off I got a twinge in my foot on the top of it where it connects with my ankle....It should be ok right???? Had some burny lung after the first run even though I had a brisk warm up walk but when I got into it, it got better.

The park where I usually run has no training/football matches on so it was pitch black just did one lap of there (I was scaring myself looking into the darkness for the boogie man!) and as I was running out of the park I scared another runner! I thought my huffing and puffing would have given me away but obviously not, I must be a silent runner! :D Ran around a few housing estates to make up for the park so I'll get to know the area too...even though I've been here over a year I never wandered around other estates! :rolleyes:

On my last run I started off very slow broke into quite a quick run and finished off with a ten second sprint! It feels amazing! :D Looking forward to a nice bit of grub now! :) I am starving!

Such a newsy post! :P

So much for a rest day today - it was such a beautiful morning myself and the OH went for a walk up to the tv mast on Mount Leinster - only 3km round trip but very steep ascent/descent, I hope I haven't wrecked my knees for Week 2 start tomorrow. The views made it all worthwhile though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

This (Shock Absorber B4490) is what I wear - in shops here it's slightly more expensive than what you're willing to pay (I think it's about €38 in JJB in Tallaght, which is as cheap as I've seen it outside of sales) but I find it great. Very comfortable and very supportive.

Just bought something similar (Shock Absorber B5044) for ~£19 on amazon.co.uk. The delivery is free to Ireland if you spend over £25, think thats the cheapest I've seen them. Just wish I could get the motivation to go out running as easy. Did W3D1 yesterday (first time running outside so went back a week), nearly died. Didn't realise there would be such a difference between walking outside v the gym. Don't think the tarmac did my poor knees/ankles much good and as for running in the wind, thought my lungs were going to explode, think I'll keep to the tread mill for another while!

A strange thing is happening to me because of c25k. I'm finding myself standing outside sports shops drooling over running gear. Scary phrases like "mmm...dri-fit", "look at the racerback on that" and "wow, I bet there'd be a nice bounce with those runners" are slipping into my vocabulary. I am losing interest in pretty dresses and heels and am looking longingly at colourful racing tops and jackets instead. I was not warned this might be a possible side-effect of c25k!

Just about to go for my first run of week 2! It's very cold outside but I will do it. I know I'll feel great after it. I never felt like this about the gym! (Still hate it. :mad:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Started tonight. Started to get feedback from my legs around the third 60 second run and thought to myself, 'wait, people do this willingly?' :pac: After that it was grand, glad I've begun. :)

Kimia wrote: »
    It's very cold outside but I will do it.
    It's not cold, it's refreshing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Folks,

Planning to start the C25K soon.

I have a couple of questions on footwear.

I plan doing walking to a local park 10 mins away and the running on grass.

What is the best footwear for the job, considering the two surfaces?

Do you clean/wash the footwear after every run?
    How do you get them dry prior to your next run 2 days later?

Thanks.

The best footwear for road and grass running would be a pair of standard running shoes suited to your gait.

Best way to dry out your running shoes is to stuff them with newspaper. Heat can damage the shoes (so don't put them in the washing machine or tumble drier).

W2D1 started today, really enjoyed it I have to say, this good weather is making it easier to go out and do it, hopefully the good weather will stay with us for a bit longer.

• Advertisement

It's not cold, it's refreshing :D

It's very cold where I am :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

starting tomorrow on tuesday, have my eye on a pair of new balance runners that are on the elverys site, might see if they have them in arklow tomorrow and try them on:)

hmm ok today didnt go to well didnt realise i was so unfit:rolleyes: only managed to do 2 of the runs and the second one only for 50 seconds so walked the rest

Good on you for getting out there psycho! I am spool tired and am meant to do d2w6 this evening...
    (awaits standard motivational kick in the ass photo from rainbow kirby)

Did W2D1 this morning and it wasn't too bad - my calves and bum are killing me from the steep walk on Sunday, but strangely it didn't affect my running at all once I got going.

I'm going to try and really enjoy this week as I think its all going to get much harder from Week 3 onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi girls, so glad I found this thread I did week 8 d1 today never in a million years did I think o would ever run 28mins straight I was the girl in school that forged letters to get out of PE! So anyone starting honestly if I can do it anyone can!

Psycho-hope, that was your first run wasn't it? I wouldn't be discouraged, I actually found the first one the hardest too. Wasn't used to running outside and 8 intervals can be daunting. It will get easier.

Did W3D1 today. My ipod and itunes both simultaneously decided to stop working so I had to go without my podcasts (the horror!!) and time myself.Got very confusing with all the 90 seconds jogs and I accidentally did all 3 minute walks where some of them were supposed to be 90 seconds. Ah well, I did it!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Psycho-hope, that was your first run wasn't it? I wouldn't be discouraged, I actually found the first one the hardest too. Wasn't used to running outside and 8 intervals can be daunting. It will get easier.

Did W3D1 today. My ipod and itunes both simultaneously decided to stop working so I had to go without my podcasts (the horror!!) and time myself.Got very confusing with all the 90 seconds jogs and I accidentally did all 3 minute walks where some of them were supposed to be 90 seconds. Ah well, I did it!

thanks foux :)

at tleast i got to indulge my shopping habit had to buy new runners, if anyone is looking elverys have some good deals.

W6D2 done.. but i struggled and didnt do the final minute of my second run :(. D3 should be interesting! i might have to repeat this week.

• Advertisement

Ah dont repeat you'll get bored, just slow down and stick with it!
    I missed w6d3 but I did w7d1 tonight. Managed 23min, had to take a 1min break before I did the last 2min :(
    I'll do it next time!
    I feel great :cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement