Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making friends in the city

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

theres no fixed boards pub. usaully somewhere like o connells or the salthouse even the roisin sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laura1992

I saw that no one responded and it's been quite a while but I'm in the same situation as you now! Did you figure anything out? Any advice?

this is for people who want to make friends in galway. for people who have just moved to galway and would like to have more a social life. i just moved here from wicklow and im seeking some friends to have chats with, go out to pubs with and to do things in general with lol... i love having girlie friends because one girl needs another to have a bit of gosip! :) so let me know if anyone is intrested!.

I saw that no one responded and it's been quite a while but I'm in the same situation as you now! Did you figure anything out? Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kat007

I too am in the same boat.

Would anyone like to go to the cinema on Thursday evening? I was thinking the Eye Cinema in Renmore

Are you living in the city center? That cinema is kind of out of my way, but if you want to do something another time, I think we're kind of in the same situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Id be up for something too...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

count mise in as well folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Me too, coming back to Galway today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 x0l0x

Joining the club :) ... If you want to do anything, I will be glad to join :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Me too if I'm not working on the night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 FreqSeq

Hello all :) I'd love to join in a meet-up.

What about going to the cinema next Saturday to watch Green Lantern Movie ? :D

The problem with the cinema is you are siting a dark room being silent.
    There is so little interaction, getting to know each other in nearly impossible.

I'm working all this weekend so won't be able to make it:(

FreqSeq wrote: »
    The problem with the cinema is you are siting a dark room being silent.
    There is so little interaction, getting to know each other in nearly impossible.

mmmm good point :) ... so suggest something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

my sister mentioned a place in Salthill called "Olso" (I think!) its either a cafe/or pub and they have loads of board games to play.
    Pretty sweet place for a meet up!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Oslo and the Cottage both have board games etc, Oslo has movie nights and the Cottage has themed food nights and stuff, both good places to meet up, best girls meet up I was ever at was in the Cottage, good tapas and good atmosphere.

anyone up for a few on friday nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

I would be interested in a meetup... Cinema, few drinks, whatever :)

Unfortunately I can't do Friday as I've a cocktail party to attend.Saturday or some day next week should be absolutely fine though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 UrsulaS

Hello :) I'm new here. I've free saturday and sunday if sb is interested in meeting in G-way c-center :)

Saturday or Sunday would be good for me too.

Perfect :) .... Then on Saturday what about if we go to sit in a bar and have a walk in city center.

If you can just add me on MSN will be better than these messages :D .... a faster way for communication :D

Are guys welcome along to these meet ups (the Saturday one more specifically),or is it ladies only :P ?

liking the idea of meeting up folks!:)
    Downside is the timescale, sort of have to head home (sticks galway) for the night, any meeting time ideas?
    (Blatantly inviting myself along!)

I'm out of Galway this weekend, oh no! If things go well, there should be another meet-up next week so I can come along :)

Working all weekend so won't make this one. Enjoy!

guess its a no this weekend so :) unless anyones around last minute haha

I still don't know if I working or not tonight xD BUT if you're going somewhere just post here or send me a message where you'll be and maybe I'll show there if I will be able. Greedings! :)

• Advertisement

If anyone's interested, Kat and I are meeting up on thursday. We were thinking of going to The Quay or something. So if anyone wants to join, let me know and I'll give you a time and a more specific place!

Agus tá fáilte roimh chach!!

Everyone's welcome ^_^

Hi ;D what and where is Quay? :)

it is girls only or can men join too?? :)

it is girls only or can men join too?? :)
    Kat007 wrote: »
    Agus tá fáilte roimh chach!!

Everyone's welcome ^_^

I guess that means we can :P
    Since I've college on Friday morning I may just tag along for just a drink and call it a night. However,if anyone is up for watching the Haye vs. Klitschko fight this Saturday and making a night on the town out of it, hit me up.

Quays is in the latin quarter of the city centre at the bottom of shop street - it's right across from the spanish arch pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Ive training tonight otherwise id love to:)

Have a good one!:)

What time are you heading down to the quays at?More importantly,what do I look out for to save myself from the embarrassment of walking up to the wrong people :P

We're going to go for drinks in the Quay's again at 8 on Thursday.

Lots of notice this time! We'll try to get a table down one flight of stairs if you walk straight in the second door (if you're coming from eyre square) there will be at least one girl with brown hair and glasses (possibly two).

Everyone's welcome and just pm me if ye've any questions!

Gah!
    If I didn't have to be up at 6.30am Friday, I'd be making a definite effort to attend!

Would love to go and meet some new people but unfortunately Thursday and Friday evenings/nights don't suit me too well, esp if they're drinking things, with work the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Might pop down to ye if I'm able :)

Hey!

Sorry about this but something's come up at home so I can't go tonight :(

We should do something next week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 annab3

I moved to Galway from the US recently and have so far had trouble making new friends.
    Any suggestions of things I could do or places I could go that would help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Depends on what kind of stuff you're into I suppose? Drinking, dancing, bowling, boardgames, chess, cinema, theatre, football, badminton, cycling, etc? =)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Join / play with the local Soccer / GAA team / tag rugby? Or any sport for that matter - generally a good way of breaking the ice with a large group of people - there's bound to be a few sound ones!

Or, you could always go down the pub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

annab3 wrote: »
    I moved to Galway from the US recently and have so far had trouble making new friends.
    Any suggestions of things I could do or places I could go that would help?

what are your interests? what kind of people would you like to hang out with? younger crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

What age group are you? Regardless of if you are male or female, I suggest you become a member of a local sports club like a GAA Club or a soccer club. If you don't play or want to play, you can still get involved (which means doing some voluntary work).

Good luck, and welcome to Galway.

sth tonite?

ErnieBert wrote: »
    What age group are you? Regardless of if you are male or female, I suggest you become a member of a local sports club like a GAA Club or a soccer club. If you don't play or want to play, you can still get involved (which means doing some voluntary work).

If I was looking to make friends I would never in a million years join GAA or a sports club. Not everyone is into sports, there would be no point in me or anyone else who doesn't enjoy sports as a hobby doing something like that, even if to volunteer, because you aren't going to meet like minded people.

It's annoying the way 90% of the time people looking to make friends are told to join a sport, for some of us that would be worse than sitting at home alone!

oh I understand that so good! I hate sport ;P

• Advertisement
Advertisement