Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

aidan24326 wrote: »
    That would be the only worry from a Galway perspective, that there might be a Waterford backlash, that they'll want to show they're not as bad as they looked on Sunday (and in fairness they aren't).

If Waterford had a backlash in them I'm sure they would have shown it in the second half against Tipp'... it's not as if they got hit with the four goals late in the game, they had 35mins to rectify the situation- sacrifice a respectable scoreline and go for goals for the second half and they were content to just keep the scoreboard ticking over.... a losers mentality if I ever saw one.
    The confidence is the one thing you'd be worried about. I don't think we're really any worse than Galway, but certainly they have definetly the better form.

As far as team performances go then you may be right.
    But on a player by player basis there aren't too many Waterford players that would make our starting 15 tbh, on an individual basis we have the better players IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

But on a player by player basis there aren't too many Waterford players that would make our starting 15 tbh, on an individual basis we have the better players IMO.

I wouldnt agree with that, Noel Connors is a better corner Back than either of the Galway corner backs, Tony Browne, Brick, Kevin Moran, Padraic Mahony, John Mullane thats 6 that would definitely make it and tbh Molumpy and Shane Walsh would be pretty close aswell.

You are either been far too harsh on Waterford after one bad game or are giving Galway far too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If Waterford had a backlash in them I'm sure they would have shown it in the second half against Tipp'

To be fair to them the game was over as a contest at that stage.

But overall I thought Waterford looked strangely lacklustre all through. They didn't play with the kind of intensity you'd expect. Right from the first few minutes they just didn't look to be up for it. Maybe Davy Fitz has taken them as far as he's ever going to and a new face is needed.

To be fair to them the game was over as a contest at that stage.

There were 35minutes left, that's plenty of time to come out and have a crack at it.
    They weren't going to make it up in points though but if they came out and just went for goals for the entire half they would have at least have given themselves a sporting chance instead of going through the motions for 35mins.

Who knows maybe they wouldn't have even have got one goal, but it would have given them more of a chance of a comeback then they gave themselves by going for points..
    That's what I'd question in terms of their mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

There were 35minutes left, that's plenty of time to come out and have a crack at it.
    They weren't going to make it up in points though but if they came out and just went for goals for the entire half they would have at least have given themselves a sporting chance instead of going through the motions for 35mins.

Who knows maybe they wouldn't have even have got one goal, but it would have given them more of a chance of a comeback then they gave themselves by going for points..
    That's what I'd question in terms of their mentality.

In fairness now, it's not that easy. I didn't see the Galway game against Dublin but their poor scoring in the first half (and what people hav said about it) suggests they were awful. Were they much better in the second half.

And to be fair we did fare a lot better in the second half. Tipp were leading 6 points to five after the first twenty minutes, until a bit of brilliance by Kelly put 4 in it. And despite Tipp scoring another goal we still only lost the second half by 4 points. Considering we lost the other by 17 it's not really a consolation, but it was just the fact that we were unhinged by a stupid defensive lay out that meant we got the mother and father of all hammerings. Playing a team not as good as Tipp, and moving Brick centre back and starting Liam Lawlor should see an improvement.

The mental side is really my one concern but it is a big one. They want to improve for themselves but their still being led by a donkey, who they all know is a donkey. Maybe if he admits it himself, says he's leaving at the end of the year and asks them to forget about him and do it for themselves, their families, and Waterford then that will be ok, but I don't see him doing that.

On a normal day, say Sunday never happened like, I would say this game would go down to the wire and that whatever team got the rub of the green would win on the day. Could easily still happen that way

• Advertisement

Didn't realise Moran was that young. I'm not writing Waterford off at all believe me, but I just think they'll find it hard to pick up the pieces after Sunday. It's an intriguing game though where both teams have questions to answer.

For Galway it's a case of whether they can maintain the form of the last two games. Always a big if with Galway.

For Waterford it's a test of character now to see if they can bounce back from Sunday's disaster.

On current form it's a game Galway ought to win, but I've been following Galway hurling teams long enough to know that it rarely works out as easy as that. I'm confident though. With Canning and Hayes on fire and Farragher and Tannian and David Burke playing really well Waterford will have to up their game an awful lot if they're to win this one.

I suppose most games are intriguing at this time of the year. It's whether or not it will be entertaining would be the more important thing for me. Yeah Canning seems to have come good, and Hayes is doing well too. Farragher looked really good, he was immense for ye two years ago as well. I really like David Burke, thing he's very good. Is he still under 21? Would have a good shout for young player of the year because I think you still have to be u21 to win it (only other contender I can see at the moment is Noel McGrath).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

? Would have a good shout for young player of the year because I think you still have to be u21 to win it (only other contender I can see at the moment is Noel McGrath).

Liam Rushe is a contender imo.

Liam Rushe is a contender imo.

True and I suppose the u21 all-ireland could come into consideration there.

True and I suppose the u21 all-ireland could come into consideration there.

It doesn't usually.

And btw I'm not entirely sure if David Burke is under-21 this year but I think he is. Was very good on Saturday.

Just checked there, David Burke played in the minor final in 2008 so he is still under 21.

• Advertisement

Just checked there, David Burke played in the minor final in 2008 so he is still under 21.

We have a pretty good under-21 team this year. Won the minor in 2009 and were robbed in the 2008 minor final by Kilkenny (even their manager admitted afterwards that they were very lucky to win). So I'd be hopeful of a good showing.

I do hope Waterford bounce back and get rightly stuck into Galway. That double header should be in Croke Park though, not Thurles.

We have a pretty good under-21 team this year. Won the minor in 2009 and were robbed in the 2008 minor final by Kilkenny (even their manager admitted afterwards that they were very lucky to win). So I'd be hopeful of a good showing.

I do hope Waterford bounce back and get rightly stuck into Galway. That double header should be in Croke Park though, not Thurles.

I think home advantage and crowd were two of the reasons why not.

Yeah Galway definetly should have won in 2008, they robbed themselves in reality. Very bad keeping mistake, and then letting your man in for the goal at the death. They were the better team. As you say they did go on to win it in 09, and some of those players will have gained experience from last years final. It is tough for Galway though that they play their first competitive game against a team that has come through a competition as competitive as Munster, with at least two games under their belt. Think after tonight Liam Rushe is probably the fella to back for young player of the year. I know strictly speaking your probably right u21 performances don't win you the young player of the year, but I don't think it's a bad thing and in a tight situation could win it for him. Plus there's the Dublin factor, and the fact that he was excellent in the Senior vs Galway and will probably play well against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Exciting times to be a Galway Hurling supporter:D,i mean cant you all feel it guys???:
    Galway bang on form:)
    confidence is high:)
    going into the game as favourites:)
    Waterford on their knees after a hammering:)
    Joe

So a 1 point win for Waterford it will be then:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Aiel wrote: »
    Exciting times to be a Galway Hurling supporter:D,i mean cant you all feel it guys???:
    Joe

God, you seem very cheered up by the prospects of the hurlers.

Galway never play well when they are favourites, which, on the basis of last weekend alone, makes them red hot favourites. Also Galway do not play well in Thurles for whatever reason (look at Cork in 08, Waterford in 09 and them 2 debalcles against KK in 04 and 06). I realise these are side issues, but are still relevant for the fact that they will be trotted out in the lead up to the match and the squad will hear about it from the media or from talking to the locals.

Kojak wrote: »

Galway never play well when they are favourites, which, on the basis of last weekend alone, makes them red hot favourites. Also Galway do not play well in Thurles for whatever reason (look at Cork in 08, Waterford in 09 and them 2 debalcles against KK in 04 and 06). I realise these are side issues, but are still relevant for the fact that they will be trotted out in the lead up to the match and the squad will hear about it from the media or from talking to the locals.

What about against Cork in 2009?

I think to be honest what caught ye against us in 2009 was fatigue. The signs are there. Ye let a 6 point lead slip in the last twenty minutes. We were useless that day, and if we play like that against ye again we will lose by 8 to 9 points. And I mean this. Only last week did I watch the game back on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Joe, David, Ger and I'm a bad speller so I can't list them all. (I dont think Galway are a one man team anymore )

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Kojak wrote: »

Hmm.. don't necessarily agree re: Thurles, beat Cork there in '09 and '10 league final. If they're good enough and tuned in enough they will win, simple as. If they're not, a Deise backlash will carry the day.

O.A.P wrote: »
    FYP.

Forgive my ignorance but what does FYP mean?

The general point i was making is that logic would seem to suggest that Galway will win on Sunday week.But like we all know this is Galway hurling so they dont deal in logic.Ive been at every heart-breaking,soul crushing defeat down through the years and so now go into default mode before a game of not getting carried away no matter who says they'll win.If Galway were 10 pts up in the All Ireland final with 2 minutes to go i'd still not be celebrating till i heard the whistle,sad but true:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Forgive my ignorance but what does FYP mean?

The general point i was making is that logic would seem to suggest that Galway will win on Sunday week.But like we all know this is Galway hurling so they dont deal in logic.Ive been at every heart-breaking,soul crushing defeat down through the years and so now go into default mode before a game of not getting carried away no matter who says they'll win.If Galway were 10 pts up in the All Ireland final with 2 minutes to go i'd still not be celebrating till i heard the whistle,sad but true:).
    Yes I know exactly what you meant, I go through the same thing every time they play.;)
    FYP = fixed your post. Galway are not a one man team this year.

That line where i had just written the word "Joe" was actually part of a sentence i'd written that said something along the lines of "Joe has help this year" but i didnt delete the whole sentence as i intended to and so it does look like i said "Joe":).
    Not that theres anything wrong with Joe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAuLU6q4hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPhasyLyKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xN92F-a-H8

• Advertisement

Same team again for Galway. 3 games in a row now. Fancy that!

Galway (SHC v Waterford) -

............J Skehill

F Moore S Kavanagh D Collins

D Barry T Óg Regan A Cullinane

.........A Smith D Burke

J Gantley G Farraher I Tannian

D Hayes J Canning A Kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What's your minor team like lads?

Hopefully not as good as your U21s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Lemlin wrote: »

same team just have to shave before the match and give different names :D

Lemlin wrote: »

They were well beaten by Roscommon in the Connaught Final where they managed the grand total of 0-1 in the first half. They're capable of better than that though, so I'd expect an improvement the next day. They've a couple of handy forwards who just didn't get going at all last Sunday. Probably won't be alot in it I reckon.

Well done to the minor footballers on winning their Qf against cavan by 1-9 to 0-9

Also well done to the rossies minors 2 teams from the west in the semis

Well done to the minor footballers on winning their Qf against cavan by 1-9 to 0-9

Also well done to the rossies minors 2 teams from the west in the semis

The bearer of good news.

Had them in a bet, PP still had no result, said I'd check here.

Had a feeling we'd beat them, as we saw with the Connacht(senior) final the weather ruined the game, so you couldn't judge a team on the basis of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Well done today lads (minor team), the Ros done well too, two Connacht teams in the semi finals. Good to see!

Well done Galway minor hurlers this group have potential for the future lot of very big lads very un Galway like and very good in the air to

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Anybody at the club matches over the weekend?

I was in Ros Muc at the Oileain Arainn vs Cliften (Junior A west semi final) it finished 4-9 to 12 points to Arainn. They scored the first goal inside two minutes and chould have scored more goals. It just didn't happen for Cliften on the day. The top three teams are miles ahead of the rest: Oileain Arainn, Cliften and An Fhairche. An Fhairche hammered An Cheathru Rua 2-15 to 5 point in the other semi played in the stadium late yesterday evening. Has the makings of a good final.

Some other results, in the senior 1/4 finals

Claregalway 0-11 - Corofin 0-11
    Salthill-Knocknacarra 4-12 - Moycullen 2-6
    Milltown 1-14 - An Cheathru Rua 0-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Anybody at the club matches over the weekend?

I was in Ros Muc at the Oileain Arainn vs Cliften (Junior A west semi final) it finished 4-9 to 12 points to Arainn. They scored the first goal inside two minutes and chould have scored more goals. It just didn't happen for Cliften on the day. The top three teams are miles ahead of the rest: Oileain Arainn, Cliften and An Fhairche. An Fhairche hammered An Cheathru Rua 2-15 to 5 point in the other semi played in the stadium late yesterday evening. Has the makings of a good final.

Some other results, in the senior 1/4 finals

Claregalway 0-11 - Corofin 0-11
    Salthill-Knocknacarra 4-12 - Moycullen 2-6
    Milltown 1-14 - An Cheathru Rua 0-8

In the Intermediate, Carna-Caiseal beat Oranmore in the play-off match, thus eliminating them; they now play Menlough in the 1/4s I believe. In the 1/4 proper, Monivea/Abbey beat last year's beaten finalists An Spideal 0-9 to 0-7.

In Senior, Milltown and Salthill looking strong for the final, if they can avoid each other; both starting to put up good scores, always a good sign of a club team. Shame Corofin weren't beaten, either by Barna or by Claregalway yesterday. Would really open it up. Tuam Stars play the team that emerges from the Mountbellew / Micheal Breathnachs / Cortoon situation. Mountbellew, morally wrong in this fiasco whatever about the technicalities, should really forget about it at this stage, they're not going to win the co. final and won't be relegated either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement