Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

sickening amount of youth in that side and bench.

Darren Cave and Ian Whitten are the old hands babysitting the young lads - what are they, 23, 24??
    Great for Ulster, great for Ireland and as you say they have the likes of Spence and Marshall yet to come in, fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Good to see Adam Macklin back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/14460261.stm

Academy player Ricky Andrew plays for Ulster tomorrow night after returning from a season with the Castres Academy. Hopefully he's yet another Ulster prospect in the backs to compete with Gilroy.

Ulster: A D'Arcy; C Gaston, D Cave, I Whitten, R Andrew; J McKinney, P Marshall; T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick; T Barker, N McComb; P Wannenburg, C Henry, R Diack.

Replacements: C Black, P McAllister, A Macklin, J Cronin, J Burns, L Stevenson, M McComish, W Faloon, I Porter, P Jackson, C Gilroy.

I don't know anything about Burns I assume he is a hooker because there is no other hooker in the replacements. Is he an AIL lad on trial or an academy boy I missed. I assume Spence isn't fully fit yet since he isn't included. I am surprised that Whitten is in at 12. I would rate L Marshall a lot higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Halftime

Bayonne 19 - 3 Ulster

EDIT: 40-3 Final Score

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9570.php

4 substitute props used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ulster up 20-3 at half time

theboss80 wrote: »
    Ulster up 20-3 at half time
    Burns Gilroy and Diack tries

Burns is the hooker but I don't know anything else about him

Was 20-15 a few mins ago, time must be nearly up

Blane McIlroy try, Ulster leading 27-15 with 3 to go

• Advertisement

34-15 at ft

theboss80 wrote: »
    34-15 at ft
    32-15 is what I'm reading Nelson with the final try

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Team to play Quins
    15 Adam D'Arcy
    14 Conor Gaston
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Nevin Spence
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Ian Humphreys
    9 Paul Marshall
    1 Paddy McAlistair
    2 Andy Kyriacu
    3 Jerry Cronin
    4 Lewis Stevenson
    5 Neil McComb
    6 Pedrie Wannenberg
    7 Willie Faloon
    8 Chris Henry (C)

Bench from.
    Nigel Brady, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, Tim Barker, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack, Ian Porter, Paddy Jackson, Ian Whitten, Luke Marshall, Peter Nelson

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Interesting that Henry is at 8 and Wannenberg at 6 considering it was the opposite last season.

Just noticed Pienaar and Muller both made the SA squad.

Danielli is also in the Scotland squad. They add to Afoa in the NZ squad and Payne with an ITM cup campaign to finish off as well as Court, Best, Ferris, Wallace, and Trimble in the Ireland squad.

Ulser will be starting the season light in a few spots. That said I expect Spence or Marshall to claim the 12 shirt and leave Wallace coming home to a spot on the bench.

Ulster beat a very strong Quins lineup today 22-5, tries from Gilroy, P Marshall, and Falloon.

I doubt Danielli will have a place in the starting Ulster team when he gets back from WC duty with Scotland. Gilroy will have taken the shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the U20 WC I noticed a few chinks in Gilroys defence. At Senior level this will be exposed badly!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    From the U20 WC I noticed a few chinks in Gilroys defence. At Senior level this will be exposed badly!
    You should 'phone Brian Mclaughlin and give him a heads up. Maybe it's not too late to remedy his failings. I'm glad all those Magner's and Heineken teams last season didn't pick up on it or he would have been embarrassed and wouldn't have scored 8 tries in those 14 senior level games. Chris Ashton and Foden would have destroyed him if they'd known.:D

Ulster beat a very strong Quins lineup today 22-5, tries from Gilroy, P Marshall, and Falloon.

I doubt Danielli will have a place in the starting Ulster team when he gets back from WC duty with Scotland. Gilroy will have taken the shirt.

That was pretty much a full strength 'Quins side. I expected the Ulster kids to be demolished. Their defence was great. Particularly Gilroy's. :D:D:D:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    You should 'phone Brian Mclaughlin and give him a heads up. Maybe it's not too late to remedy his failings. I'm glad all those Magner's and Heineken teams last season didn't pick up on it or he would have been embarrassed and wouldn't have scored 8 tries in those 14 senior level games. Chris Ashton and Foden would have destroyed him if they'd known.:D

He's only played 6 mins of Heineken Cup Rugby!

He has an impressive strike record for Ulster but he could have and should have done better for a few of the trys we conceded at the u20 WC.

He was a kid then, he's grown hugely since. I think Gilroy is pretty much progressing exactly as anyone would hope he might.

RE:Ferris, great to see him get a full 80 today, doubt he thought he'd have to. Caught him trying to fix up some cramp in his leg with 5 mins left, but was delighted to see him back playing ball, and playing well.

• Advertisement

He was a kid then, he's grown hugely since. I think Gilroy is pretty much progressing exactly as anyone would hope he might.
    Since June??

Since June??

oops, probably shouldn't be posting on this much medication tbh!

Something in the back of my head had him playing last year only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

That was pretty much a full strength 'Quins side. I expected the Ulster kids to be demolished. Their defence was great. Particularly Gilroy's. :D:D:D:D

Am I right in saying just Care and Easter missing from full strength 'Quins side? BBC highlights on 'Final Score' showed Paul Marshall up well.

Superb footballing skills by Gilroy to score his try.

Quins try was fantastic

Marshall looked dangerous with the ball in open play alright, and Whitten's line and offload to Faloon were great.

Very encouraging highlights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are the Ravenhill renovations finished yet? (or even started?)

Are the Ravenhill renovations finished yet? (or even started?)
    I don't think its been started yet. I think they are mid planning premission applications and that the work will happen next offseason

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Havent been started yet.

test4444 wrote: »
    The Pro12 has the rule:

5.3. A maximum of two non-European players are permitted in a Team's match squad.

So, who of Ruan Pienaar, Jared Payne and John Afoa would you leave out?

Really?

Considering Leinster have Strauss, Nacewa, Sykes, and Berquist in their squad this could cause big problems.

Munster have Howlett, Botha, Du Preez, and Mafi too!

Two non European players means two non kolpak players, just like in the Heineken Cup.

Pienaar has a SA passport so he's fine while Payne and Afoa will likely take up the two kolpak spots.

• Advertisement

Really?

Considering Leinster have Strauss, Nacewa, Sykes, and Berquist in their squad this could cause big problems.

Munster have Howlett, Botha, Du Preez, and Mafi too!
    Nacewa Strauss and Sykes qualify under the Kolpak stuff, so does Botha and DuPreez

So who does the Kolpak rule apply to? Is it just capped Nz and Oz players?

So who does the Kolpak rule apply to? Is it just capped Nz and Oz players?
    Non EU, non PIs (I think Mafi and Nacewa use those passports to pass under the Kolpak radar). Warwick got an Irish passport last season to enhance his employability with Munster even though he wasn't IQ since it meant he counted as EU for Kolpak. It didn't change anything about through the contract negotiation but he tried.

NZers Argentinians and Australians that don't have other passports tend to be the main offenders under the non EU non Kolpak rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Team for Glasgow.

Ulster (15-9):A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8) P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, C Henry (capt).

Replacements: N Brady, C Carey, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, P Jackson, P Nelson.

GerM wrote: »
    Team for Glasgow.

Ulster (15-9):A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8) P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, C Henry (capt).

Replacements: N Brady, C Carey, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, P Jackson, P Nelson.
    Thats a young set of props. Cronin is the old man at 27 while the other 3 are 22 or younger.

interesting to see Whitten on the wing. He is usually a center isnt he

Very exciting and young backline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Thats a young set of props. Cronin is the old man at 27 while the other 3 are 22 or younger.

interesting to see Whitten on the wing. He is usually a center isnt he

Yeah I'd have thought him and Spence would be swapped around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fair play to Conor Carey

Fair play to Conor Carey

I hope he and Macklin don't need to come on. Umless some form of scrummaging miracle has occurred over the last three months.

Once again McLaughlin selects players out of position. Spence is a better 12 than Whitten. Whitten is a decent player and a good squad member but Ulster have Allen. Gaston, Cochrane and Nelson who are better wingers than Whitten. Also he is repeating the same error as last year by playing Henry and Wannenburg the wrong way round. They are far more effective when Henry is at 6 and Pedrie at 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

28 - 14 to Ulster. It was a decent game a bit scrappy at times because of the weather.

Ya was a very rusty looking game, Touhy was by far an away the nest man on the park but Henry got the motm after a great try in the closing minutes. Ulster could have ran in a few more trys but things look good for them going forward. Also Cave had a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Big Dan was excellent. He carried well, hit rucks hard and made a mess of glasgow's lineout. However, overall a very rusty 80 minutes from us.

Was flicking between the Leinster game, the soccer and this. Anytime I watched this Gilroy got the ball and ran with purpose.

Redsock wrote: »
    Big Dan was excellent. He carried well, hit rucks hard and made a mess of glasgow's lineout. However, overall a very rusty 80 minutes from us.

+1

Tuohy was an animal. I felt bad for him last season when he picked up the injury. He looked really powerful. If he can remain injury free, he has the potential to be a starter in the 6N.

Hagz wrote: »
    +1

Tuohy was an animal. I felt bad for him last season when he picked up the injury. He looked really powerful. If he can remain injury free, he has the potential to be a starter in the 6N.

Be warned, I was all aboard the Tuohy train after 5/6 weeks of ML last year, and then he let me down badly.

The way he started last season would've put him as first choice 2nd row for Ireland, and sounds like he's started this in a similar vain?

Hopefully he can plough on and not leave us believers with egg on our chins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

Tuohy was great alright - dominated the line out and was probably the most forceful ball carrier on the pitch. Hopefully he can carry through with that form as he went awol last season after a similar start - maybe he was never fully fit? A couple more performances like that and he'll be first in the queue if there's a 2nd row injury in New Zealand.

Tuohy was great alright - dominated the line out and was probably the most forceful ball carrier on the pitch. Hopefully he can carry through with that form as he went awol last season after a similar start - maybe he was never fully fit? A couple more performances like that and he'll be first in the queue if there's a 2nd row injury in New Zealand.

That was Tuohy's first league start since January.

That was Tuohy's first league start since January.

Really??
    25/03/2011 Glasgow Warriors 66
    01/04/2011 Scarlets 80
    10/04/2011 Northampton Saints 58
    16/04/2011 Leinster 80
    22/04/2011Connacht Rugby 80
    06/05/2011 Newport Gwent Dragons 70

I could have sworn some of those games were in the league. But yeah I understand your point that he had an injury wrecked second half of the season.

Really??

I could have sworn some of those games were in the league.

Just reporting what was reported.

From the Irish Independent.

"The boot of Ian Humphreys did the rest of the damage as he contributed 13 points in an assured performance. Dan Tuohy, making his first start since last January, had an outstanding game both in the line-out and in open play. Interestingly, Brian McLaughlin only used one replacement the whole game, with Nigel Brady replacing hooker Andi Kyriacou."

Just goes to show not to trust the Indo.

I didn't say he didn't play, I said he didn't start as he was returning from injury and got injured again a few times. In total last season he started 10 league games. Northampton Saints don't play in our league. He started 15 games in all out of 29 in all comps.

What do people think Spence's position is?

I don't think he has the passing ability for 12 and would prefer to see him at 13. That said I think he could do a good job on the wing if Cave is prefered at 13.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement