Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

thebman wrote: »
    If you click the speed test link on the bottom of the homepage you get the following:
    You’re probably paying around €50 for slow broadband down your phone line. WiMax is super fast broadband that’s up to 50% cheaper.

So I'm guessing entry level service will be 25 euro.

Thats what the CEO said on The Last Word on todayfm yesterday.

Six One news piece 17:28 in : http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1057678

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

17.35 Mb Download
    3.00 Mb Upload
    73 ping

Thats what they got on speedtest on RTE NEWS
    All good except the ping. If pings where 20-30, i'd switch. Maybe the 8mb has lower pings?

But when does Mayo get it, so far its available for those with fibre available to them!

But speedtest isn't good for pings.
    My test

76 ping

30ms to boards.ie

60.11 vs 25...hmmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Dont google back Imagine though? That might explain it.

No, Google back WiMAX, Imagine were and are just name dropping when they mention them in their bluff.

Intel have a vested interest and will back anything that is good for their business, so you can understand them promoting the product.....

Calebmcd wrote: »
    17.35 Mb Download
    3.00 Mb Upload
    73 ping

Thats what they got on speedtest on RTE NEWS
    All good except the ping. If pings where 20-30, i'd switch. Maybe the 8mb has lower pings?

But when does Mayo get it, so far its available for those with fibre available to them!

But speedtest isn't good for pings.
    My test

76 ping

30ms to boards.ie

60.11 vs 25...hmmm?

I think what everyone seems to be missing here is the fact that the test shown on RTE was with one user on the network.

We all know how fast Three/O2/Vodafone can be when there is only one user on the network......what am I saying, it is even the same for eircom and UPC.

Show me real world results, at peak time and then I will tell you if it is good or not. From what I read, it will face the same problems as 3G networks.

As for it coming to Mayo, it needs a direct link to a backbone from what I read, it might well suit in the towns but not in the arse end of the rest of the county. It will be interesting to see what they plan to do in Mayo, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Surely

It's not possible to guarantee a particular speed due to contention ratio etc. The amount of customers using the total network of broadband for one particular area influences how much speed you receive.

Have seen Wimax working in the flesh, my mum has it and I have to admit it is pretty whopper. I work in the technical field and her Ripwave was replaced with a new Wimax unit which is working brilliantly. Good speeds, reliable connection. Can't complain. Spoke to a few other people in her area who have it too and they are all very impressed with the service.

I know that I intend to order it myself in the future, once it is available in my home area. Also noted their website does not include any pricing or details but give them time. The service is not even on sale nationally yet, I think that is due to come soon.

One interesting point I note is that they are saying if they get enough interest from a particular area, they will install. Basically, we all know of those areas down the country where you cannot even get Eircom DSL, people are surviving on ancient dial up connections, and I think it is really positive news to hear that if you can get enough of your neighbours and community on board to ask for this service (something a lot of people having been asking Eircom for for years) then Imagine will give it to them.

I am pushing my community to get on board for this service. I live in an area with limited broadband capability and large development. Lots of new homes and families (including friends and relatives) who are dependent on the over pricing and unreliability of Eircom DSL for internet connections. This could potentially be very good for us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

anyone know what the range is?
    They're setting up in tralee shortly and I'm 12 miles outside the town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TheDeficit wrote: »
    I'm 12 miles outside the town.

Nahh, with a dongle ( usb device) max 2 miles on a good day and then when it rains .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nahh, with a dongle ( usb device) max 2 miles on a good day and then when it rains .....

Suppose that would depend on if they went down the road of outdoor units similar to breeze/vls. That would extend range a fair bit...

BreezeMax is not mobile wimax , it is FIXED wimax , anyway IBB/Imagine promised us that in 2004 and where are we exactly in the rollout ...anybody ??

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/10/24/story57473325.asp

• Advertisement

Yet another ****in n00b pimping Imagine services. Same happened when Imagine launched their DSL but the c**nts got banned :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why so many new posters signing up just to promote Imagine wimax, I smell a schill.

Can a mod please compare ip's for matches

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

The Fool wrote: »
    Suppose that would depend on if they went down the road of outdoor units similar to breeze/vls. That would extend range a fair bit...

2 miles would be about right for a mobile dongle or indoor unit. This could be extended to about 10k with outdoor units, but 12 miles is probably pushing it...
    Rain has negligible impact on radio links at WiMAX frequencies - in this case 3.5GHz. It's usually only considered above 10GHz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Antoh your post is nothing but an advert, any more of this nonsense earns you a warning.

Also if you must post use your FULL KEYBOARD!, text speak is not allowed in this forum.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why so many new posters signing up just to promote Imagine wimax, I smell a schill.

They launched dsl some years back and shilled boards like bitches for a few days . This was one of the main threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280675

It was fun. Their launch got shredded on Boards....most especially when they had a surcharge of €3.50 a minute for their timed product while they were trying to tweak their website :)

We never saw that Imagine shill 'Dublinmonk' since that day , I wonder which of the current lot is Dublinmonk ???

Wow, just wow, either Imagine have some seriously bad "PR" company working for them or the posters registered this month, telling us to wait and see and "point being stop bitchin and start living" are working for Eircom or some rival.

If it is the first, they have just lost a potential customer/number of customers in my area.

Coming to a forum like this, trying to pull this crap, you need to be fired, if indeed you do work for a PR firm, if not, do we have our very first Imagine fan boy? I dont know what is more sad.

As simple as that. I am pointing the finger at Antoh here, dude I sincerly hope your writing style is trying to mimic a member of the general public and not how you communicate every day. You sound like a 12 year old, no I take that back, an 8 year old would be embarased to write as badly as you.

• Advertisement

If it was a PR bunny then I would check how many similar '0 count' boards users were registered from Antoh s IP address for future use ....and ban the lot with extreme prejudice .

But a few years back it was an inhouse operation , I remember it well :D

It is a disgusting practice.

I can see how the meeting would have panned out when discussing shilling boards.ie, I have sat in on many a boring buss word meeting.

Antoh - Boss you know what we need to do, we need a viral marketing campaign, we need twitter, we need facebook, we need youtube, we need to name drop Google whenever we can, even though they have nothing to do with our product, other than we use a tech they have considered using. I will infiltrate boards.ie and act like a 10 year old, innit, lol. They wont know what has hit them!

Boss - That is just the type of outside the box creative thinking we need, I am glad we have you on our team.

I am glad we have you on our team.

Morkeshing and PR in a web 2.0 world is very team oriented GK and they do want to be seen putting in the effort from home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭swoofer

@ Antoh have a look at the imagine website and then post back and you may regain some crediblity.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

had imagine service before and wouldnt go back to them if they where the only broadband provider in ireland regardless what they say and now seeing cheap advert poster ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Surely wrote: »
    It's not possible to guarantee a particular speed due to contention ratio etc. .........

wow...and how much are you getting paid to post this waffle?... My mum has.. If we contact imagine....saying bad things about eircom... tut..tut..:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Ha ha that is brilliant :D I see they changed the coverage map on the Imagine website from the google one its now even more crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ah Downfall, is there nothing the Nazis cant promote?

Actually Wimax will end up delivering pretty much the same as this once Imagine overload their network. I will concede that Imagine have better customer service though :D

Still by far the best EVER Irish Techology 'Downfall' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Imagine seem to work on the grounds that the general public are idiots,
    making unsubstantiated reports of speed and price etc and presume people will swallow it.
    not to mention thinking people wont notice if they log on to public forums and talk up their product.

just reinforces my impression that the whole thing is a load of bull.

slightly off topic , imagine are not the only ones who treat you like that, most of them do, from eircom being insanely rude repeatedly on the phone to others asking when i ring for support if i have my moden switched on .
    should have an option, press 1 if your an idiot , press 2 if you have turned the power on and know what your doing

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

I am not now or have I ever been working for imagine or any company associated with imagine. I work in a completely different line of work I’m on here just like all of you expressing my views which I have as much a right as you lot. Difference is I’m not as big of an asshole to assume stuff I have no idea about. What I said was from my experience with the product. I’m not bloody advertising anything. I couldn’t care less if anyone got the wimax. As is my connection is one of the best in the country so I won’t be getting it. I just think it’s a good idea that their trying to get broadband around the country. I don’t see any of you guys trying to do anything. If all you can do is sit on your computer and try to make everyone as sad as you then you have a very crap life. If you have never tried something how can you comment on it? Realistically you have no idea otherwise.

Punctuation and grammar . nnNiiiIIIIce !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

see i can spell just as well as everyone else. its hard to concentrate after a 14 hour shift. are you happy now that i don't work for them.

On what objective grounds do you consider this service to be 'better' than the Clearwire service.??

( corrected on spectrum by Jellies , thx)

• Advertisement

Lads in fairness, none of you have a clue as yet.

It's a new product in it's very early stages, maybe it will suck, maybe it won't. But until it's up and running, why not just quit fúcking whining?

At the moment, there is a huge amount of people who can't even get broadband in this country while everyone's being raped by Eircom, and now we have a company who are promising a high quality, fast, cheaper, wireless phone & broadband minus line rental with 90% coverage by 2012.

Can someone please explain to me what there is to complain about?

and now we have a company who are promising a high quality, fast, cheaper, wireless phone & broadband minus line rental with 90% coverage by 2012.

Don't be daft. No technology running at 3.5ghz provides 90% coverage in Ireland today and some of them have been rolling out for more than 3 years .

In 2012 Imagine will provide neither 90% Geographic coverage nor 90% POPULATION coverage ( which amounts to 20% geographic coverage ) at 3.5ghz and if you are not prepared to buy me my barrel of porter for being right then shuddup :p

gigahertz schmigahertz:D

gigahertz schmigahertz:D

Too high a frequency for decent range and penetration , too many base stations required = too expensive to roll out .

I would be amazed if 90% fo DUBLIN could get a decent signal by 2012 . It will most likely end up somewhat better than Clearwire and it will most likely have its own sticky in this very forum by this time next year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lads in fairness, none of you have a clue as yet.

It's a new product in it's very early stages, maybe it will suck, maybe it won't. But until it's up and running, why not just quit fúcking whining?

At the moment, there is a huge amount of people who can't even get broadband in this country while everyone's being raped by Eircom, and now we have a company who are promising a high quality, fast, cheaper, wireless phone & broadband minus line rental with 90% coverage by 2012.

Can someone please explain to me what there is to complain about?

Well if your like Sponge Bob you probably know the facts on what exactly they can provide and when people come on here bragging about it at first and he explains it won't last and gets told he's wrong and then a month later they come back saying my god, its gone to ****e and you explain why again and this process repeats itself, I guess it wears thin after a while ,,, (not enough commas in that sentence).

Anyway we'll see, it will probably be below expectations after a while because they are promising the sun and the moon and that is usually a bad sign.

Too high a frequency for decent range and penetration , too many base stations required = too expensive to roll out .

I would be amazed if 90% fo DUBLIN could get a decent signal by 2012 . It will most likely end up somewhat better than Clearwire and it will most likely have its own sticky in this very forum by this time next year :(
    Maybe, no point in people just assuming so though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Maybe, no point in people just assuming so though.

Can we not assume its bullshít until they prooove its good, they've not got a great track record

They have the same amount of 3.5ghz spectrum in Dublin that Clearwire do and Clearwire are to announce this 4g wimax stuff soon , they have just announced their first 4g wimax rollout in the EU , see

How are Imagine supposed to do a lot better with no more spectrum than Clearwire ...who are utterly dreadful , frankly :(
    I have no idea, I'm not even going to pretend that I know all the techy stuff.

But if clearwire are awful (I don't know if they are, never used them), then how in the same spectrum is Imagine able to offer breeze? Which is perfectly good for home and business alike?

how in the same spectrum is Imagine able to offer breeze?
    They don't :(

Breeze is spanking technology.

1. It uses outdoor fixed aerials not tiny indoor dongly yokes .
    2. It runs at 5Ghz+ with clear line of sight ( LOS) and where there is quite a lot of spectrum .

( amended to remove incorrect assumption on Imagine spectrum

Now stop trolling, we KNOW you know nothing and you told us so :)

• Advertisement

They don't :(

Breeze is spanking technology.

1. It uses outdoor fixed aerials not tiny indoor dongly yokes .
    2. It runs at 5Ghz+ with clear line of sight ( LOS) and where there is quite a lot of spectrum , not like the anorexic 3.5ghz band where they have around 20mhz or less and iffy or no LOS .

Now stop trolling, we KNOW you know nothing and you told us so :)
    Grand so, why not email Imagine then and ask how they're going to provide something that you seem to imply is impossible? Who knows, maybe they haven't realized the error of their ways? You obviously know something they don't. While you're at it, get onto the media to point out this blatant lie, because they haven't picked up on it yet it seems.

Then again, maybe Imagine know something you don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have no idea, I'm not even going to pretend that I know all the techy stuff.

But if clearwire are awful (I don't know if they are, never used them), then how in the same spectrum is Imagine able to offer breeze? Which is perfectly good for home and business alike?

Clearwire an abomination of a provider :(

Broadband the American way, i.e craptacular.

port limiting, no connection at all, threatening letters for not paying for something they weren't delivering, clearwire have it all!

Friend had it and just told the bank to stop the direct debit as they are impossible to deal with unless you are signing up :rolleyes:

Why not email Imagine then and ask how they're going to provide something that you seem to imply is impossible?

I did not imply it , I stated it . What is it about Imagines karma that always brings bloody trolls out from under the bridge ???

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE SPECTRUM AT 3.5GHZ (0OOPS)

They do !

They have the same amount of 3.5ghz spectrum in Dublin that Clearwire do and Clearwire are to announce this 4g wimax stuff soon , they have just announced their first 4g wimax rollout in the EU , see

How are Imagine supposed to do a lot better with no more spectrum than Clearwire ...who are utterly dreadful , frankly :(

Clearwire has 35MHz of spectrum in the 3.5GHz band.

Imagine acquired Irish Broadband who had 50MHz (so already 40% more spectrum than Clearwire).

ComReg also recently ran a competition for another 38MHz of 3.5GHz of spectrum in Dublin, Cork, Waterford and Limerick.

88MHz is plenty of spectrum for WiMAX.

I did not imply it , I stated it . What is it about Imagines karma that always brings bloody trolls out from under the bridge ???

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE SPECTRUM AT 3.5GHZ

What is it with people who think they know it all calling others trolls for not agreeing with them?

Sorry man, until and if Imagine FAIL I'm just going to assume they know what they are doing more than you know what they are doing. Which is a safe assumption as far as I'm concerned.

jellies wrote: »
    88MHz is plenty of spectrum for WiMAX.

Yes it is if they have it , cannot find it in the allocations though , have you links ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ENOUGH!

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0924.pdf

Yep. Here's the ComReg doc.

Channel A is IBB. E and J is the new ComReg release.

Antoh wrote: »
    I am not now or have I ever been working for imagine or any company associated with imagine. I work in a completely different line of work I’m on here just like all of you expressing my views which I have as much a right as you lot. Difference is I’m not as big of an asshole to assume stuff I have no idea about. What I said was from my experience with the product. I’m not bloody advertising anything. I couldn’t care less if anyone got the wimax. As is my connection is one of the best in the country so I won’t be getting it. I just think it’s a good idea that their trying to get broadband around the country. I don’t see any of you guys trying to do anything. If all you can do is sit on your computer and try to make everyone as sad as you then you have a very crap life. If you have never tried something how can you comment on it? Realistically you have no idea otherwise.

Never assume to know what people do or do not do, many of us do not just sit and bitch at our computers all day. Even if we did, the advice we offer here on boards.ie to people all over Ireland is more than enough to make up for it.

I know for a fact that some of the users on here are actively engaged in bringing broadband to people, we even have some ISP owners on here. Right now I am posting this message thanks to the help I got from people on this forum.

You know what the kicker is here, these people do it for free, they give up their time even after they work 14 hour shifts. They give unbiased real world based experience with no marketing spin.

You know what else, they never moan about giving advice, even if the same advice has been given 10000 times before.

I dont think we should feed these trolls any more......

• Registered Users Posts: 48 irishcarbomb2k

Guys,

I do agree that we have very little info on this new infrastructure, Are we positive they are using the 3.5Ghz band, has this been confirmed? I think the website is s*** for information and that pratt is not helping matters talking about how great it is, but on the other hand, should we not wait before we shoot a company down. I agree they have had a terrible reputation in the past but for all we know it could be the answer to our prayers (at least I hope it is.)

People were sceptical when UPC promised high speeds and they are delivering, if slowly on that. The backhaul on the masts could all be linked with fibre from existing infrastructure and have an ability to hold many users. I agree it sounds all too good to be true but what if it is true then we could be eating our words.

I for one am fed up with the state of the nations broadband and slow speeds and believe high speed broadband is as important as the electrification of the country was and really hope that we are all proved wrong and please do not jump on every word, I have no affiliation to any broadband company, just expressing an opinion.

Thanks to Jellies for their link and I fully accept that IBB/Imagine have a large chunk of spectrum around 3.5ghz which improves matters considerably , they have a lot more than any 3g operator has in the 2.1Ghz band for example .

• Advertisement
Advertisement