Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong pricing..... AGAIN!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

JDxtra wrote: »
    Tesco couldn't care less. They are here to fleece us out of it. The staff care even less.

Most places are the same now - if you're not getting any extra for being conciencious then you just put in your hours and go home :(

Friend of mine from the US says over there you don't even talk to customer service staff, it's just a series of grunts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

This post has been deleted.

Because it's as described? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Clothy

Just bought a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food which was advertised on special offer at €8 only to discover after leaving the store that I was actually charged € 11.89 :mad: :mad: :mad: Went back in to complain but the cashier was blasé and just gave me the €3.89 difference back without apology or explanation. How in the name of jaysus are tesco getting away with this time after time after time :confused:

This is essentially robbery - you are well within your rights to get the Gardai involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clothy wrote: »
    This is essentially robbery - you are well within your rights to get the Gardai involved

This is nonsense. No robbery has been committed- essential or otherwise. The price is an invitation to the customer. Please, cite the relevant legislation under which the Gardai will act in this case.

This is nonsense. No robbery has been committed- essential or otherwise. The price is an invitation to the customer. Please, cite the relevant legislation under which the Gardai will act in this case.

Robbery has been committed. Namely the difference the OP was conned into paying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Clothy, do you get the Gardai involved every time there is a mistake in pricing?
    Just out of interest. Do they even respond?

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    Clothy, do you get the Gardai involved every time there is a mistake in pricing?
    Just out of interest. Do they even respond?

My taxes fund their salaries and I will involve them at appropriate times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Clothy wrote: »
    My taxes fund their salaries and I will involve them at appropriate times

Bless.
    It's the real life Sheldon Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I love shopping on-line with Tesco.ie! my last shop cost €72+delivery but I had a voucher for €10 so €66 but then when it arrived the driver had to knock off a few damaged items because some packing numpty had put jars and bottles of juice on top of tomatoes and grapes crushing them as well as damaging a box of fish fillets, total reduction on bill was €9.50

Then afterwards I noticed that the two packs of Mr Kipling fiendish fancies were out of date since 17th and the old reliable easy peelers citrus pack which should be 600gram but weigh in at 500gram. another €3,69 knocked off my bill! also had to return two of the substitutions which were nowhere near the original items. one was double the cost and the other was half the size.

After all of tesco's mistakes my shopping went from €66 to less than €49:D:D:D Happy days!cant wait to use the €15 voucher in the next shop!

You like them easy peelers that are not easy to peel don't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hootanany wrote: »
    You like them easy peelers that are not easy to peel don't you.
    Only when they are free due to the incompetence of tesco Ireland:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I had stopped shopping in Tesco entirely because at least 1 in 4 'deals' didn't come through on my receipt (stuff like buy 2 for €3, BOGO1/2 etc). One shop of €100 had me overcharged by €30 because of this.

After 2 years of shopping in Dunnes and not once spotting a mistake, I went to Tesco Dundrum last week with my friend. Out of 8 items bought, two were on 'special' and neither special came through on the receipt.

Back to Dunnes!

Yesterday's shopping Had the same easy peelers with the wrong weight yet again, Advertised and sold as 600g but product weight is only 500g and pacaging states 500g, they also had tesco everyday value carrots which were advertised as 1.5kg but weigh only 1kg. The carrots have no weight marked on the packaging at all which is illegal AFAIK.

When I rang the tesco uk free-phone number they said there was a note on my account that any issues were to be referred to the store to be dealt with so now I have to wait for the Carlow store to ring me back tomorrow.

The easy peelers issue is also now in the hands of the legal metrology service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I bought 4 cans Guinness at weekend @ 1.99 each . - However on the same shelf was a 4-pack selling @ 8.99 .

Strange that you have to pay an extra euro if you buy multi-pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Just bought a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food which was advertised on special offer at €8 only to discover after leaving the store that I was actually charged € 11.89 :mad: :mad: :mad: Went back in to complain but the cashier was blasé and just gave me the €3.89 difference back without apology or explanation. How in the name of jaysus are tesco getting away with this time after time after time :confused:

Having worked there myself before, I know what its like :o

I know its not good customer service, and I'm not defending it, but like someone else already said, the amount of people that just fail to read the SEL properly on a daily (hourly!) basis is shocking, not to mention the amount of people that actually try swindle the shop out of money too by moving the labels and products around the store... :mad: your dealing with it non stop.

Personally, I would be pleasant if the customer was pleasant to me, I always tried to give the customer the benefit of the doubt and give them a refund, but if a customer was being ridiculous over a couple of cent you didn't get much of my time.

After all, its not the staffs fault they just have to deal with the situation they are in.... I reckon the company sets out to be purposely confusing and misleading to begin with though, which doesn't help matters....
    UCDVet wrote: »
    If approached/asked/stopped I will gladly return their item, just as soon as they refund my money. And when they refund my money from the incorrect price, I'll had it to them and ask for the item back. And which point, they will realize, we are in the exact same configuration as when we started.

They have the same amount of money and items.
    I have the same amount of money and items.

That is +/- a few cents; I'll pocket an item that is near the price difference. And this is only for small differences; if something were off by 50 euro, I'm not going to try and stick a collect of steaks into my pants.

Being on camera is only an issue if someone is watching the camera. The cashiers who are ringing up incorrect prices are probably on camera too.

The cashiers are not 'ringing' up the wrong prices, the barcode on your product is on a database with a set price which the computer charges automatically.

An how do you know for sure you haven't read the offer or price incorrectly when you are pocketing products, which you are apparently 'owed'?

In most, if not ALL case, the cashier is not in control of what you are charged.

TBH you seem like an impatient ass, and exactly the kind of customer that nobody wants to have to deal with, which is probably why they let you walk out with your couple of cents worth of what you are owed from the shop...

Tesco have been screwing their customers by selling products which are smaller/lighter than the stated size/weight. One I have mentioned before and saved a considerable amount on is the tesco easy peeler citrus pack 600g which is in fact only 500g.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268508462

Another recent one was McVities moments tin 500g which was only 400g when delivered. Afaik the tin size has now been changed to 500g
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271073918

A new wrong weight product in tesco is their everyday value carrots 1.5kg which weigh in at only 1kg and also don't have the weight on the packaging which afaik is an offence.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274546015

Do you check the weights of items in your shopping basket?(online shopping in particular) Have you found other items falsely advertised with higher pack sizes? Maybe you could add them here?

To be honest, I don't shop online and just go in, pick up what I need, pay the bill and go home. I wouldn't have the time or inclination to check items off against the receipt to compare shelf marked prices or to confirm weights like that. That said, I don't buy fruit or veg in the supermarket. If buying something like a tin of sweets, it's a matter if looking at the time in store and I decide if I want it or not at the price shown.
    I know. Lucky me who doesn't worry about pricing errors but I value my time more, to be frank about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the same Mcvities tin heavier in other shops? Not really just a Tesco issue if its Mcvities that are leaving it light.

Is the same Mcvities tin heavier in other shops? Not really just a Tesco issue if its Mcvities that are leaving it light.
    The tin is sold as 500g by tesco but it is labelled 400g. I don't know what other shops are doing but Tesco were advertising it as 500g when it was clearly only 400g.

The tin is sold as 500g by tesco but it is labelled 400g. I don't know what other shops are doing but Tesco were advertising it as 500g when it was clearly only 400g.

The picture on the tesco advert clearly shows 500g on the lid of the tin. That said other stores are offering 400g tins for the same price. OK, it's wrong but to answer your question - no I don't really check as I'd see the tin in store and just decide if I'd pay €6 for it. Different buying online, I suppose.

• Advertisement

The picture on the tesco advert clearly shows 500g on the lid of the tin. That said other stores are offering 400g tins for the same price. OK, it's wrong but to answer your question - no I don't really check as I'd see the tin in store and just decide if I'd pay €6 for it. Different buying online, I suppose.
    What about the carrots which have no weight marked on the packaging and are described as 1.5kg but only 1kg, you would have no way of knowing that you were only getting two thirds of what you have paid for.

Also tesco are well aware of the issue with the easy peelers because of customer complaints and emails yet choose to continue selling 500g packs but advertising them as being 600g for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Don't Tesco cover themselves with certain fruit, by stating a guaranteed minimum. I'm quite sure I've seen language along those lines on their orange/apple bags.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Don't Tesco cover themselves with certain fruit, by stating a guaranteed minimum. I'm quite sure I've seen language along those lines on their orange/apple bags.
    What must appear on the label?

Under General labelling legislation the following must appear on the label:

name under which the product is sold *
    list of ingredients
    quantity of certain ingredients
    net quantity *
    date of minimum durability *
    any special storage instructions or conditions of use
    name or business name and address of the manufacturer or packager, or of a seller within the European Union
    place of origin of the foodstuff if its absence might mislead the consumer to a material degree
    instructions for use where necessary
    beverages with more than 1.2% alcohol by volume must declare their actual alcoholic strength *

* These details must appear in the same field of vision
    http://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/labelling_of_food.html#appear

What about the carrots which have no weight marked on the packaging and are described as 1.5kg but only 1kg, you would have no way of knowing that you were only getting two thirds of what you have paid for.

Also tesco are well aware of the issue with the easy peelers because of customer complaints and emails yet choose to continue selling 500g packs but advertising them as being 600g for over a year.

I don't mean to be awkward but when I buy carrots I put the number of loose ones I want in a bag and pay the greengrocer whatever they cost. I wouldn't have a clue what weight of carrots I buy or how much a kilo they cost. Likewise with oranges I bag how many I want and just pay for them - they are usually sold by count rather than weight. There seems to be a lot to say for going shopping rather than doing it online.

I don't mean to be awkward but when I buy carrots I put the number of loose ones I want in a bag and pay the greengrocer whatever they cost. I wouldn't have a clue what weight of carrots I buy or how much a kilo they cost. Likewise with oranges I bag how many I want and just pay for them - they are usually sold by count rather than weight. There seems to be a lot to say for going shopping rather than doing it online.

You have already stated how you don't bother with checking weights or prices on your shopping, "I wouldn't have the time or inclination to check items off against the receipt to compare shelf marked prices or to confirm weights like that." So it is obvious that this is not going to apply to you and you still reply, just to not be awkward?

Most people shop in supermarkets such as Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu etc for all their shopping including their vegetables and most of their meat. In most of these supermarkets items such as carrots and potatoes are sold by weight not by count, other things like cabbages are sold by count.

Not everyone has the money to pay a local greengrocer and local butcher for the better service and produce you think they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

This issue is not just Tesco related as all other retailers including your local independent fruit & veg grocer is pulling fast ones on weights and measures

You have already stated how you don't bother with checking weights or prices on your shopping, "I wouldn't have the time or inclination to check items off against the receipt to compare shelf marked prices or to confirm weights like that." So it is obvious that this is not going to apply to you and you still reply, just to not be awkward?

Most people shop in supermarkets such as Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu etc for all their shopping including their vegetables and most of their meat. In most of these supermarkets items such as carrots and potatoes are sold by weight not by count, other things like cabbages are sold by count.

Not everyone has the money to pay a local greengrocer and local butcher for the better service and produce you think they offer.
    Hang on now. The greengrocers and butchers is packed every morning , so it is not fair to generalise about how people shop based on your own experience. My experience and that of all the others in the greengrocers etc is different. We do not all shop the same and we must accept that. Does the greengrocer charge as labeled on the shelves? Who knows? Are mislabeled offers unique to Tesco? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into earlier Tesco thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I bought a box of Miller beer a while back in Tesco Mount Merrion and the label stated 330ml bottles yet they were only 300ml bottles. I said it to the customer service lady on my way out and after a few blank stares she seemed to get the message.

I was back a few day later and checked to see if they actually rectified the label. Guess what, they had.
    So I imagine it's a local store issue, and I got it sorted by mentioning it to customer service. Drama over - not that there was a drama really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Was shopping today. Passing the fruit and seen the easy peeler oranges. Could not resist. Picked up the bag on top and popped it on the scales. Was 3 sets Two mechanical and one digital. All the exact same result.

gh40.jpg

Hard to get it any closer to 500g than that.

Advertisement