Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Ferris interview after the game;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26698043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watching that makes me think it is less likely that he will go to Argentina in June.

Part 1 of Mission Impossiblish completed with tickets for the Leinster game secured. Now for the next part tomorrow! Don't fancy my chances though.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where'd ye get those?

All I see on tickemaster is family terrace - no boozing there right?

awec wrote: »
    Where'd ye get those?

All I see on tickemaster is family terrace - no boozing there right?

Was in the Family Stand for the Montpellier game and while I wasn't drinking there were people drinking from plastic bottles I think. Whether this was sanctioned behaviour or just the Eventsec people turning a blind eye I'm not sure.

Got them on Ticketmaster but went through the Ulster website. Not in the Family Stand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭NU8

bilston wrote: »
    Was in the Family Stand for the Montpellier game and while I wasn't drinking there were people drinking from plastic bottles I think. Whether this was sanctioned behaviour or just the Eventsec people turning a blind eye I'm not sure.

Got them on Ticketmaster but went through the Ulster website. Not in the Family Stand though.

They were on the regular Ticketmaster page this morning for all areas. I managed to get two but they seem to have sold fast!

Think I'll buy my tickets to the game in Thomond this week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Think I'll buy my tickets to the game in Thomond this week too.

I'll give you a free ticket if you sell my upcoming range of Ferris pyjamas at the gate.

Mission....failed...:(

I ended up getting Leinster tickets. Mission accomplished!

• Advertisement

Aye 1/2 ain't bad I suppose (hope BOD plays at Ravenhill).

Hopefully we do the business against Saracens and then I can organise a day out in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Might be of interest after Ferris making his return; Matthew Rees has been included in the Blues squad for this weekend's match after treatment for testicular cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Mission....failed...:(
    yep same here, got past the first screen and got the timer, then they disappeared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Same here, I went to a Ticketmaster outlet, my was was on the pc at home and my friend was also on his pc, fail, fail,fail, lol.

My friend and I have bought the Christmas season tickets for the last three years (we miss the first 3 or 4 home games) but we did not get any pre booking preference :mad: They wanted us to upgrade to full season tickets, but there is no chance of me getting to games Nov/Dec due to work.

I was speaking to a guy today who paid £60 to become a Saracens member and then he was able to buy 2 tickets:)

Anyway, enough of the sour grapes, I am still confident that I will get one somewhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Same here... HC tickets looked to be in too high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

UAFC saying you may be getting franco van der merwe but he is currently injured for 6 months

He's 31 though.

Wiehahn Herbst is apparently the project prop. Highly rated 25 year old tight head who can also play loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

ssaye2 wrote: »
    UAFC saying you may be getting franco van der merwe but he is currently injured for 6 months
    That was just a guess by me! (If you mean the thread in the main forum)

Its based on nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Grenoble have confirmed the signing of Chris Farrell.

• Advertisement

Ulster XV and replacements to face Cardiff Blues, RaboDirect PRO12, Arms Park, Saturday 29th March (kick off 18:30) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, A Trimble, P Jackson, M Heaney; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, A Warwick, R Lutton, I Henderson, R Diack, S Doyle, P Marshall, C Gilroy.

Ferris starts again. No Pienaar still, Heaney starts ahead of Marshall.

No Best either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Wilson? I'd expect him to be starting at 8 next week. Have been impressed by Doyle the past few weeks.

Ulster XV and replacements to face Cardiff Blues, RaboDirect PRO12, Arms Park, Saturday 29th March (kick off 18:30) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, A Trimble, P Jackson, M Heaney; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, A Warwick, R Lutton, I Henderson, R Diack, S Doyle, P Marshall, C Gilroy.

Ferris starts again. No Pienaar still, Heaney starts ahead of Marshall.

No Best either.

Best and Pienaar are both precautions.

Wiebhan Herbst signing has been confirmed. So two new props in the bag.

Best and Pienaar are both precautions.

Wiebhan Herbst signing has been confirmed. So two new props in the bag.

So far...

INS
    Rhuadhri Murphy - ACT Brumbies
    Wiebhan Herbst - Natal Sharks

OUTS
    Tom Court - London Irish
    John Afoa - Gloucester
    Niall Annett - Worcester??
    Johann Muller - Retired
    James McKinney - Rotherham
    Chris Farrell - Grenoble

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is Herbst a SuperXV player or Currie Cup?

Edit: It's the SuperXV team. The Times are running with the story now. They're saying he's gotten a 3 year deal too!

http://ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/1360/Wiehahn-Herbst-to-join-Ulster-Rugby-.aspx

Sharks’ tighthead prop, Wiehahn Herbst, will join Ulster Rugby this summer on a three-year deal.

• Advertisement

Hope Ferris goes alright on that pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is Herbst a SuperXV player or Currie Cup?

Edit: It's the SuperXV team. The Times are running with the story now. They're saying he's gotten a 3 year deal too!

Super Rugby team till 2013 no contract or involvement in 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

http://ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/1360/Wiehahn-Herbst-to-join-Ulster-Rugby-.aspx

Sharks’ tighthead prop, Wiehahn Herbst, will join Ulster Rugby this summer on a three-year deal.

And no international obligations so could become IQ at the end of his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Thought that Ian Humphries is coming back to Ulster ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

And no international obligations so could become IQ at the end of his contract?

It says he played the Junior World Championship. Is that not their second team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Grenoble have confirmed the signing of Chris Farrell.

Good luck to him, hope he does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Stanza2 wrote: »

To play 2nd string? Not sure it helps him that much, better looking for a start somewhere surely?

Rumour is that iHumph is coming back yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It says he played the Junior World Championship. Is that not their second team?

Not when he represented them so he's fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So far...

INS
    Rhuadhri Murphy - ACT Brumbies
    Wiebhan Herbst - Natal Sharks

OUTS
    Tom Court - London Irish
    John Afoa - Gloucester
    Niall Annett - Worcester??
    Johann Muller - Retired
    James McKinney - Rotherham
    Chris Farrell - Grenoble

Paddy McAllister.
    Adam Macklin

Nobody will be able to pronounce the first names of either of our two new props :)

I'm sure Jim will give it a good go, he usually keeps up with his research before a match.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Paddy McAllister.
    Adam Macklin

Not confirmed though?

Stanza2 wrote: »

Don't think it is confirmed though.

Nobody will be able to pronounce the first names of either of our two new props :)

Rory and William will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hopefully their rugby will do the talking!

"Another dominant scrum for the Ulster props and Best!" :D

"Another great scrum from rudree and weeban!"

Not confirmed though?
    Macklin's move is a done deal.

"Rotherham Titans are delighted to announce the signing of tighthead prop Adam Macklin from Ulster Rugby and news that Colin Quigley will move on at the end of the season.

Ulsterman Macklin, will arrive at Clifton Lane with a top-class pedigree, having played 28 times for his province, including appearances in Europe's premier competition, the Heineken Cup!

Belfast born, the 24 years-old has represented Ireland at U19 and U20 levels and at 6' 1” and 18 stones, Macklin is sure to add physicality alongside a huge amount of experience to the Titans front row next season.

Commenting on Macklin's impending arrival and Colin Quigley's departure, Lee Blackett explained, "We are delighted that Adam Macklin has decided to join us for next season. We are obviously bitterly disappointed to be losing Colin Quigley for next year; he's been outstanding for us all year and a great ambassador for the club on and off the field. Colin has assured me that he'll give his all until the end of the season and we know Colin will do just that. We did our best to try and keep him, but we understand Colin's situation."

"So we had to move pretty quickly to replace a guy who's predominantly started most of the games for us this season. Therefore we've gone out and signed Adam Macklin from Ulster. Adam has got plenty of experience having played in the later stages of the Heineken Cup. He's a player, who for a young lad has played a lot of top-flight rugby in his career."

"He potentially got a little bit frustrated at being behind two international tighthead props, as you do sometimes, but having said that he's a fantastic player and we are delighted that we've signed him. We're going to have great competition for the tighthead jersey with Adam, Mark Tampin and Lewis Thiede, as we are for the loosehead jersey with Toby Williams, Marshall Gadd and an agreed signing who've we yet to announce. We are really looking forward to the arrival of Adam and I'm sure he'll add something significant to our front row.”

Macklin, who enjoyed six prosperous years in his home province, is looking forward to the challenges of playing Championship rugby at Clifton Lane, as he explained, "I would like to thank the management, coaching staff, medical and S&C department and also my playing colleagues for their help and support during my six years at Ulster Rugby. It was a boyhood dream of mine to play for my native Province and it would be wonderful to play again at Ravenhill at some stage in the future."

"I am greatly looking forward to joining Rotherham, and hope to contribute to the club's success in the 2014/15 season. I am thankful to Lee Blackett who is giving me the opportunity to play first team rugby at such an ambitious club that are clearly on the rise.”

Cracking try from Cave. Terrible attempt at a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

As easy a try that Ulster will score this year. Cardiff are awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does the smaller number of ulster teams in division 1a compared to leinster and munster contribute to the larger number of ulster fringe players going abroad to serve an apprenticeship and get experience?

Jackson misses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Does the smaller number of ulster teams in division 1a compared to leinster and munster contribute to the larger number of ulster fringe players going abroad to serve an apprenticeship and get experience?

Is there a larger number? Don't know about Munster because I don't follow them as closely but there's a ton of ex-Leinster and ex-Leinster academy players over in England, and the odd one in France.

Not sure if there are more Ulster players going to England but I do think the fact we have just one Div 1A team (barely) is a big problem. Don't all LEINSTER Academy players play in Div 1A? There are probably Ulster Academy players in Div 2A and B. I think this probably explains in part why the Ravens struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 tulloin

yeah last year the UCD lads played in 1B and Marsh played in 1B but this year all of them are in 1A.

Only lads who don't play 1A are the lads playing under-20 rugby with UCD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement