Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I tip away at my phone during the day, browsing mostly, and the battery just seems to drain away very quickly.
    The Nexus 6 was similar right up to going Material and Android 6.0, things improved dramatically at that point.
    But I'm not sure how long Samsung will drag their feet before giving their customers the ota update.
    I had an S4 previously and updates were dreadfully slow, then I had a MotoG and the updates were very quick indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I tip away at my phone during the day, browsing mostly, and the battery just seems to drain away very quickly. The Nexus 6 was similar right up to going Material and Android 6.0, things improved dramatically at that point. But I'm not sure how long Samsung will drag their feet before giving their customers the ota update. I had an S4 previously and updates were dreadfully slow, then I had a MotoG and the updates were very quick indeed.

I think you should take your phone to a Samsung Experience store to see if it's faulty because having to charge it 3 times a day is definitely not right. My S6 gets to about 50% by 6pm and then I charge it and that's with more than moderate usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I tip away at my phone during the day, browsing mostly, and the battery just seems to drain away very quickly.
    The Nexus 6 was similar right up to going Material and Android 6.0, things improved dramatically at that point.
    But I'm not sure how long Samsung will drag their feet before giving their customers the ota update.
    I had an S4 previously and updates were dreadfully slow, then I had a MotoG and the updates were very quick indeed.

Mine was like that before the last update but since 5.1.1 it has improved a lot,the Nexus 6 doesnt have 6.0 Google wont be releasing that until sometime in the Autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Mine was like that before the last update but since 5.1.1 it has improved a lot,the Nexus 6 doesnt have 6.0 Google wont be releasing that until sometime in the Autumn

Same - once i got 5.1.1, my phone went from barely lasting from 8am to 6pm, to now lasting 8am to 5am the next day on a single charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Flaccus wrote: »
    I knew there was one case on my list I left out I liked this case a lot but the kickstand was flimsy though I suppose I didn't give it enough of a chance, the edge was covered up too much and I found the back of the armour was scratched in a week. I think the Neo Hybrid is a good compromise. Not as protective but more stylish.

I also like this. Might try it. Looks as protective as the Spigen but slimmer and military drop tested :)

http://veruscase.com/verus-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-case-thor-series.html

I really like the case, the stand is sturdy enough to pop up in front of a 2 year old while she watches Ben & Holly, can't say that I notice the sides being up too much either, I find it very useful in work as I can leave it face down on my desk unlike another case I tried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm getting a full day out of a charge most days (from 7am until ~10.30pm), I do notice that if I use the sat nav on it I'll have to give it a bit of a charge, but for that I just have a car charger anyway.

Stuff I've done to "protect" the battery would be:
    • Turn off adaptive screen brightness
    • Close apps I'm not using
    • Enabled Auto Stop for most apps
    • Clear RAM a couple of times a day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was the third Marshmallow preview.
    Worked a treat on the N6

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've got the Spigen Galaxy S6 Edge Neo Hybrid case. Fantastic case. Great fit and wearing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

My battery doesn't seem to be lasting too long now. Listen to spotify for 2 hours, check fb and twitter a few times a day, browse online for about an hour. The battery could be as low as 15%. I've only noticed this since the last update.

1jcdub wrote: »
    I've got the Spigen Galaxy S6 Edge Neo Hybrid case. Fantastic case. Great fit and wearing well.

I have that one myself, arrived today, makes the phone far more comfortable and practical to use.
    One extra charge needed today, 30 minutes at 19:00, and now have 39%
    Might hang onto it after all, we'll see....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Does anyone know where I'd get an arm band for holding the phone when I go running? I'm not looking for anything fancy; just a cheapo to do the job would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd get an arm band for holding the phone when I go running? I'm not looking for anything fancy; just a cheapo to do the job would be grand.

Most sports shops have them (eg elverys)

My S6 has stopped been able to use mobile data (3/4g)
    Crazy

Most sports shops have them (eg elverys)

My S6 has stopped been able to use mobile data (3/4g)
    Crazy

Have you installed any new apps recently? I installed a packet analysis app and uninstalled it quickly after installing it but after that my data stopped working, turned out it had installed a VPN certificate I had to manually remove.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

El Guapo! wrote: »

Any shopping centre pretty much has a phone cases stand setup in them and im pretty sure you can get them in those type of places.

Anyone know where I can pick up spare covers for the ear buds? I've lost one of the covers. Can't seem to find them anywhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Anyone know where I can pick up spare covers for the ear buds? I've lost one of the covers. Can't seem to find them anywhere online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XQ46WZO/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B00929ZOTW_rb

Luke92 wrote: »

Thanks. But do you know if it's possible to get the covers only?

200 MB+ update now available for the S6 on Vodafone. Will be downloading later to see any differences.

I already have 5.1.1 BTW in case any of you think it's that update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have the phone rooted using the pingpong method (doesn't trip Knox). Wondering if its worth removing this root to update the phone. Battery fairly crap. I know pingpong doesn't work on the updated builds.

Just finished downloading the update. First difference is that Touchwiz is now like that of the Note 5. I'll update of any more differences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

can you post what your build number is?

MiCr0 wrote:
    can you post what your build number is?

LMY47X.G920FXXU2QOH8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The update also adds edge apps which is cool but it also installs word, excel and powerpoint with no option to remove like you could if you installed it from galaxy apps

Just noticed that

Unless you update it, it takes almost no space so doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

It's this update available for the sim free S6 edge?

haiyna wrote: »
    Just noticed that

Unless you update it, it takes almost no space so doesn't really bother me.

I will probably use the office apps and uninstall google sheets and the like. And probably use the 100gb free with open drive.

Trying to decide now if I want to install One Note or stick with Google Keep for simple note taking.

The edge apps are very cool. It means I can have 5 apps I use occasionally on the edge. Works well.

Not sure I like the new icons...might go back to the material theme. I highly recommend tapet though. A great infinite wallpaper generator that beats any of the material design wallpapers I have seen to date.

In my opinion, the icons look a little to cartoonish for my taste.

Also, what's everyone's opinion on Samsung's new watch, the Gear S2.

I absolutely LOVE IT and I'm thinking of picking one up when it comes out. It would be my first smart watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, anyone have any idea how to remove the app names from below the apps on the home screen? I had it on my OnePlus and for the life of me I can't remember how I did it.

Cheers.

haiyna wrote:
    I absolutely LOVE IT and I'm thinking of picking one up when it comes out. It would be my first smart watch.

It's running tizen so only limited support for android wear apps. Means if you change your phone to a non samsung, you have crippled the watch. And no telling how much tizen app support from samsung will br coming. Their record on the gear s was poor. Screen also smaller then a lot of the competition at only 1.2 inches. The embedded sim is interesting though won't it mean having a new number instead of popping the sim out of your phone and into your watch like you could do on the gear s.

Anyone know how the people edge oncircle feature works ? It says u can send notes, emoticons etc.. Also noticed another edge screen update when you click about edge screen inside the app. This is on top pf thr update thr other day. Seems to have updated the app edge where you can swipe the edge and hold and drag the cog now up or down to where you want your edge position to be, instead of having to open the edge app settings and do it inside there.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

Which is the best security app to run on my S6 edge?

They all slow your phone down somewhat but I would likely stick with the one that comes with Smart Manager (cut down clean master) which actually isn't Cleanmaster's version but Intel Security (formerly McAfee). It's good as far as security apps go but I am not sure if it's necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am due an upgrade at the end of the month, I am using a S4 so looking forward to the change!!

Is the edge worth upgrading to or should I just stick with the regular S6? I was contemplating the S5 but seeing as it is a 2 year contract, it might be too old by now.

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote:
    Is the edge worth upgrading to or should I just stick with the regular S6? I was contemplating the S5 but seeing as it is a 2 year contract, it might be too old by now.

Standard S6 is much better value for money.

Vahevala wrote: »
    I am due an upgrade at the end of the month, I am using a S4 so looking forward to the change!!

I was in the same boat and I went for the edge mainly as I wanted 64gb (and the regular was only 32gb at the time) and love the looks and the way screens flow when you swipe. The only edge functionality I find handy is the night clock and the edge apps and contacts screens. So if all that is interesting to you, then it's worth it.

However.....the edge screen has a slight defect in that there is a vertical discolouration down the sides noticeable on a pure white screen. All amoled screens have them, but it's only noticeable on the edge due to the plastic substrate they use to curve the screen. It doesn't bother me personally as it's hardly visible. There is also very slight distortion watching some movies again due to the curve of the edge. But your average person won't notice this.

One thing I have found with the edge (and maybe the regular) is the same, but the screen feels sort of plasticky and not glass like my IP6. However this is a good thing. The screen doesn't smudge as much as the IP6 and doesn't streak when cleaning it with something like a spec savers or micro fibre cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Thanks so much, I think I will just go for the regular S6 64GB. I was looking at the Z3 as well but the overheating issues concern me so stick with what I know and that's Samsung :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've got an unlocked s6 and downloading the 216.48MB update now - upgrade to G920FXXU2C0H2

I'm on Tesco Mobile and there's no update available for me on the S6 Edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i've got an unlocked s6 and downloading the 216.48MB update now - upgrade to G920FXXU2C0H2

All touchwiz icons are updated. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Samsung Gear apps are now installed. You can disable them but can't uninstall from what I can see so far.

PS: motion wallpaper moving or whatever it's called is fixed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Where's the best value for a sim free S6? Need to buy one in the next 2 weeks for a birthday present so wont be signing up for contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

yabadabado wrote: »
    Where's the best value for a sim free S6? Need to buy one in the next 2 weeks for a birthday present so wont be signing up for contract.

Keep an eye on Argos site. They dropped them to 599 couple of weeks back, but now back to 699... so might drop again. That would be the cheapest from a shop here in Ireland. But I am sure if you look on Adverts , you can find one for 450-500.

dan786 wrote:
    Keep an eye on Argos site. They dropped them to 599 couple of weeks back, but now back to 699... so might drop again. That would be the cheapest from a shop here in Ireland. But I am sure if you look on Adverts , you can find one for 450-500.

Emm check Vodafone....

Emm check Vodafone....

Emmmmm he said sim free. :D

I see the site Eglobal have it at a very decent price.There is a large thread on this site about the company.Mostly good reviews would I be OK buying from them?

dan786 wrote:
    Emmmmm he said sim free.

He just said he won't be signing up for a contract. Pay as you go would be fine then.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I see the site Eglobal have it at a very decent price.There is a large thread on this site about the company.Mostly good reviews would I be OK buying from them?

Yes they are 100% legit. Just be careful about the model as most of their phones are asian models.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LMY47X.G920FXXU2QOH8
    I finally got that update on my S6 about 20 minutes ago (Vodafone).

Apart from changes to icons, I've not noticed much else yet...

dan786 wrote: »
    Yes they are 100% legit. Just be careful about the model as most of their phones are asian models.

am I correct in saying if I got the wrong model some of the LTE bands wont work here? 4G etc? Is there bigger issues with it than that?
    The correct model for Ireland I think is G920F but not many options for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement