Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stomach fat when sitting down.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Do you account for all of those snacks or the milk in your tea or everything you driunk on a daily basis when you use MFP?

Yep i do, i was putting in everythin, i even had a pack of meanies 1 day and was surprised it was in there, its a cool app.
    the most i went up to one day was 1200 cals.

The only thing i was doing wrong was i was putting in tea with semi skimmed milk every time, but it might not be semi skimmed every time, it could be full fat.

i did stop using it last week, il start again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If...you're accounting for everything you eat and drink and if you're only getting 600 calories a day, it's likely you're not eating enough.

It's a balancing act. Eating as little as possible does not always mean you lose weight.

If...you're accounting for everything you eat and drink and if you're only getting 600 calories a day, it's likely you're not eating enough.

It's a balancing act. Eating as little as possible does not always mean you lose weight.

You do make a good point, maby its this starve mode that ive read about where your body turns everything into fat just cause it dosent know when it will get it again.

So if i try to eat regularly again, what should i be eating and when. im never hungry during the day and lazy to pre-empt meals, but if it will help, im willing to give it a try.
    i just dont want to put on more weight, although initally i probably will, how long will it take to re-programe my body? (dont know what other way to put it sorry)

You do make a good point, maby its this starve mode that ive read about where your body turns everything into fat just cause it dosent know when it will get it again.

So if i try to eat regularly again, what should i be eating and when. im never hungry during the day and lazy to pre-empt meals, but if it will help, im willing to give it a try.
    i just dont want to put on more weight, although initally i probably will, how long will it take to re-programe my body? (dont know what other way to put it sorry)

It's posssible that your body can go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows down and holds onto the energy stores so that your body can function.

In terms of what you should be eating, read some of the Nutrition stickies. Don't overthink it - just use the calculator that was linked to above. You need to eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE. For breakfast, steer clear of the majority of cereals. They're empty calories. Some people like porridge, some like eggs, etc. But if you go with porridge, weight the oats. Measure the milk. You need to at the start so that you can judge the calories you're getting from them. It's easy to measure most things and plug them in. For calorie tracking, MFP works on honesty and accuracy.

Do that and you're on your way.

ok im being silly sorry, i do see it now lol

my BMR is 1575
    my TDEE is 1890
    daily calories to loose 20% fat is 1512

so i need to stick to 1512 in order to loose weight?

I think there's something amiss there.

if your BMR is 1575 and your TDEE is 1890, then you need to eat more than 1575 and less than 1890 to lose weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Starvation happens when you are starving. You would definitely know if this was happening as you would be at about 5 stone and have trouble moving.

Eating 600 calories a day is extremely unhealthy.

I think there's something amiss there.

if your BMR is 1575 and your TDEE is 1890, then you need to eat more than 1575 and less than 1890 to lose weight.

thats what i thought, but thats what it said on the calculator. I had it in to loose 20% fat in step 6

ok thanks for that, il stick to the 1575 and il be more accurate about what im eating. its got to be that im not logging everything properly everyday or something.

In your opinion, should i start to see results after a week or that?

Starvation happens when you are starving. You would definitely know if this was happening as you would be at about 5 stone and have trouble moving.

Eating 600 calories a day is extremely unhealthy.

Sorry i didnt mean i was starving myself, i just meant i seem to always be under the recomended calorie allowance.

Judging by what you are all saying here, its like im not accounting for everything during the day that i eat, which is possible i guess, i could definitly be getting the portion size wrong.

But there is a starve mode that ive read about where it will turn everything i eat into stored fat.

In your opinion, should i start to see results after a week or that?

If you're eating healthily and exercising, you will start to see results. In a week, I'm not sure buit it's possible.

But it's a bigger picture thing. You're looking to eat healthily and get some exercise, in a sustainable way. Do that and the weight will come off. How quickly I don't know. But it will.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help here guys, i really appreciate it :)
    im taking all of your advise on board and going to attack this eating lark, hopefully jog more too.
    im going to log food and excerise every day. I want to loose this 3 stone aswel as get fit and be healthy.

Sorry i didnt mean i was starving myself, i just meant i seem to always be under the recomended calorie allowance.

Judging by what you are all saying here, its like im not accounting for everything during the day that i eat, which is possible i guess, i could definitly be getting the portion size wrong.

But there is a starve mode that ive read about where it will turn everything i eat into stored fat.

There is no starvation mode as you are describing. If your body is starving it will not turn food into fat. It may slow down your metabolism slightly but you will not be anywhere near starvation - its a very serious condition.

The most likely scenario is that you are miscounting calories, i would focus on that.

The most likely scenario is that you are miscounting calories, i would focus on that.

Definitly has to be something like that, as i said ive only being doing this for a month now, so maby its possible im not logging everything.

it dosent make sense that i havent lost anything, i know my body is changing slightly but still i should notice something on the scales at this stage.

One more question and i promice il leave you all alone :) would you recomend using small weights to carry while walking to help tone arms? or would it be better to get lifting as an extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Definitly has to be something like that, as i said ive only being doing this for a month now, so maby its possible im not logging everything.

it dosent make sense that i havent lost anything, i know my body is changing slightly but still i should notice something on the scales at this stage.

One more question and i promice il leave you all alone :) would you recomend using small weights to carry while walking to help tone arms? or would it be better to get lifting as an extra

Hard to judge properly at this stage because of water weight fluctuations and body recomposition. You're better off taking photos rather than worrying about the scales. If you've noticed your body changing for the better then you are doing something right.

If you want to do weights do them properly. The particular exercise you suggest is pretty much worthless, just go for a walk as you would normally. You should definitely incorporate weight lifting into your program if at all possible.

A month is a relatively short period of time, i would not get stressed about no weight loss initially. Your weight can fluctuate over short periods dramatically. As you have said nail down the amount you are eating and it should all become clear from there. Portion control is important and take note of everything. You'll soon see where the issue lies - it could be something you are not counting or something you are underestimating.

Small weights while walking wont really help you. Toning any part of you involves reducing the fat and improving the muscle. The walking and diet will take care of the fat but to improve the muscle you need to lift weights that force it to change - small ones wont really do this.

I always recommend lifting as it will improve your appearance and help burn calories. Lifting 3 times a week for 30-50 minutes can burn 40% more fat than just dieting.

edit: also - ask as many questions as you want. The more the better really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Thanks for all the good advice lads.

As i'v said I don't think I'm fat but defo need/want to 'flatten' the stomach a bit..

• Advertisement
Advertisement