Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford General Chat / Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

0005922a-314.jpg

The London-born, New Ross-raised rapper will join Fazer, Laura Mvula, the BBC Symphony Orchestra and conductor Jules Buckley for the inaugural Urban Classic Prom at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday August 10.

The Army Bomb Disposal team made safe a six inch coastal artillery shell at Kilmore Quay in Wexford this evening.

A spokesperson says it looks like it is from a 19th-century rifle cannon and was most likely shot without viable explosive content.

The shell was found in the net of a local fisherman who raised the alarm.

It was declared safe at 9.20pm and will be returned to a secure military location for further examination and disposal.

CopyofDSC03675_zps87e763f8.jpg

Nice painting at the Cockleshell Art Exhibition in Duncannon tonight - .........would it look well over your fireplace .?

Was driving to Wexford today and heard the ad on South-East Radio for the Food & Wine Festival .

Was shopping in Dunnes , but drove around Wexford , and didn't see any sign of this festival .

South-East Radio didn't say where this was been held either .

We know now from website that it was on Selskar Square and South Main Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Was driving to Wexford today and heard the ad on South-East Radio for the Food & Wine Festival .

Was shopping in Dunnes , but drove around Wexford , and didn't see any sign of this festival .

South-East Radio didn't say where this was been held either .

We know now from website that it was on Selskar Square and South Main Street.
    Not wanting to be smart, but perhaps you need to park the car and walk around the town sometime. I saw lots of activity in the Bull Ring and outside Greenacres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

it was great. its on again tomorrow.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Not wanting to be smart, but perhaps you need to park the car and walk around the town sometime. I saw lots of activity in the Bull Ring and outside Greenacres

I only go to shopping to Wexford town about 3 times a year , and today was one of those days .

Only had time to park in Dunnes and buy what I was looking for , and they also refunded my parking fee.

In fact Dunnes Wexford are the only outlet in the South East that sell the item I was looking for today .:)

I only go to shopping to Wexford town about 3 times a year , and today was one of those days .

Only had time to park in Dunnes and buy what I was looking for , and they also refunded my parking fee.

In fact Dunnes Wexford are the only outlet in the South East that sell the item I was looking for today .:)
    So basically, it didn't matter to you whether there was a festival in town today or how well it was promoted

oldyouth wrote: »
    So basically, it didn't matter to you whether there was a festival in town today or how well it was promoted

correct , basically

BLD6DZ1CUAAT_NV.jpg:large

How many men do Wexford County Council employ to fill a pothole ?

In this photo it is 3 + a driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 4?

People complain when potholes aren't repaired, now people complain about how many people they use to repair potholes? Ever spare a thought about the fact that they might cover more ground faster with a crew of 4 as opposed to a crew of 2 therefore minimising the traffic disruption etc? I'm not a road repair expert but I think that the main thing to say about the photograph is that the potholes are being repaired.

By the way, I could be wrong but judging by the position that the photograph was taken from and what looks like spots of water on the windscreen, I'm going to guess that you possibly used your mobile phone to take that photograph while operating a motor vehicle? If I'm wrong, then I apologise, if I'm right then how about stop worrying about manpower use age and worry more about your lack of concern about other road users including those workers?

DC

Decoda wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 4?

People complain when potholes aren't repaired, now people complain about how many people they use to repair potholes? Ever spare a thought about the fact that they might cover more ground faster with a crew of 4 as opposed to a crew of 2 therefore minimising the traffic disruption etc? I'm not a road repair expert but I think that the main thing to say about the photograph is that the potholes are being repaired.

By the way, I could be wrong but judging by the position that the photograph was taken from and what looks like spots of water on the windscreen, I'm going to guess that you possibly used your mobile phone to take that photograph while operating a motor vehicle? If I'm wrong, then I apologise, if I'm right then how about stop worrying about manpower use age and worry more about your lack of concern about other road users including those workers?

DC

The car was stopped when pic was taken and it was a camera , not mobile phone .

meteogram.png

What a bad forecast for tomorrow -

Raining all day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

meteogram.png

What a bad forecast for tomorrow -

Raining all day

Nah it'll clear by lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm really creeped out by the fact that you are taking pictures of my Dad while he's working.

lolli wrote: »
    I'm really creeped out by the fact that you are taking pictures of my Dad while he's working.

Is he the "supervisor" one leaning on the shovel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is he the "supervisor" one leaning on the shovel :D

Nope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Supervisor,foreman and operater,standard working procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What about the other three having a smoke in the cab of the truck? :D

CopyofDSC05199_zps5ba53889.jpg

Life on the streets

• Advertisement

CopyofDSC05199_zps5ba53889.jpg

Life on the streets

More money than the rest of us has Maggie.

Fair play for blurring out the other occupants of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Yes, she has and although she does no harm to anyone, I cannot understand why she feels the need to sit in this most embarrassing and vulgar manner drawing attention to herself in this way, when she so obviously does not have to.

I heard a child say out loud last week ' Mammy I can see that lady's bottom' Does Maggie really need to sprawl like this on the street, one has to ask, or perhaps she just enjoys it.

I often see her sitting on the street quite close to the bank, which has a perfectly good bench in front of it, which she could use, but chooses not to. Tourists always ask why such an obviously over fed lady is doing begging and I just don't have the answer. The singing is the worst of all, bless her.

I have no objections to Maggie at all but feel sorry for her that she feels the need to so this, be stared at, laughed at and worse still, listen to abuse from some passers by. I always say hello to her and find her polite and friendly.

I am used to seeing people begging in the streets in most towns around the world, but rarely do they sit in the manner that Maggie does, as it just draws unwanted attention and abuse from men. One often hears them and it is not nice.

I've no time for Maggie at all. She's a very clever individual, who knows exactly what she is doing. Not nice to have her in the vicinity if you are a trader trying to earn a living

Yes, can certainly understand that. I was only speaking as someone who goes to town once a week from a rural location and I often have foreign students or visitors with me and to be honest, I do feel embarrassed, especially if they are very young and are exposed to Maggie's various unladylike positions on the street.

There has been the odd occasion where I have seen another side to her also, but felt that to comment on it could portray me as a biased or prejudiced individual, which I really am not, but people do tend to misinterpret things sometimes.

Does anyone know why she does this and do people really give of their hard earned money to her I wonder. I for one, prefer to give mine to charities whom I can trust to see that it is wisely used and even that is precarious at times.

In the case of street beggars, who say they are hungry, I generally buy them a sandwich and a coffee, but would not like to repeat the response I have often received from some of them. So, I guess it is very difficult to know who is really genuine and who isn't, but at least with Maggie, one can stroll on knowing that she is by no means hungry nor is she homeless either. I still cannot understand why she is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They is no genuine street beggars in Wexford Town so never give your money to anyone "begging" Maggie claims to be a busker not a begger though.

Maggie you can't say anything against her as she is "harmless" and "doing nothing wrong" there have been allot of complaints about her but the guards never did anything. I can remember the corporation trying to get her of the street maybe 20 years back as she was been a real nuisance then but nothing came about it. She plays the victim card very well

Listen to this http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/the-curious-ear-doconone-nobodys-child-maggie-hurley.html

I understand better now and thank you for that.

It's just hard to understand how she can get away with her 'stories' and even with the best imagination in the world, it would be difficult to class her as a busker, as if anything her repetitive and predictable off key wanderings are hard to listen to, so you have to keep going.

I was shocked to hear she had a child.

Maggie I assume is known to Social Welfare and even from a health perspective, her arthritis for example, one would think they would go through the proper channels to make sure that she is not exposed to the elements for long periods in this manner. I believe she does have a family and her sister is seen collecting her in her car quite often. Just makes it all the more difficult to understand what she gets out of this daily routine; losing her dignity and self respect and leaving herself open to abuse from kids etc.

I am sure that if the powers that be cared enough, they could find a solution.

Nice to note that none of the other buskers loll around on the ground in this state and if they did, can you imagine what reaction that would get from the guards.

No, Maggie is certainly not an inspiration to others, but if she is blatantly cheating the public and visitors to our lovely town into thinking she is in need, then I think that is very very wrong. It also reflects badly on our local welfare resources, as she appears almost as though she is homeless with no decent clothing etc and nothing could be further from the truth. I honestly don't think anyone in Wexford has to be homeless or hungry today and support systems are there to help in every area of our lives.

When I was there , she was singing ' I'm nobody's child '' and she has a decent voice too.

She also got a few donations , in the few minutes I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 funky fingers

ah good ole wexford,me ole man was born in ferns,id still head down from time to time,and every 2 mths id head to bunclody,stay in the hotel,and jst sit in redmonds bar for a whole day drinking the finest of beer,and chatting to the folk drinking there...bliss

When I was there , she was singing ' I'm nobody's child '' and she has a decent voice too.

She also got a few donations , in the few minutes I was there.

Decent Voice? Ah jaysus come on

• Advertisement

ah good ole wexford,me ole man was born in ferns,id still head down from time to time,and every 2 mths id head to bunclody,stay in the hotel,and jst sit in redmonds bar for a whole day drinking the finest of beer,and chatting to the folk drinking there...bliss

Are you there now? :pac::pac:

Advertisement