Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

hopefully there are more races and planets in me3,also i reeeeeeally wanna see what the quarians look like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just finished Mass Effect 2 last night. What a wonderful game it was. I had to wait a long time to play it after the first one having traded in my 360 but it was worth the wait. As this is a thread about Mass Effect 3 I'm sure there are no need for spoiler tags.

I wonder what decisions will have an impact in Mass Effect 3. I'm sure the big one will be did you decide to destroy the Collector base or not. There could also be big consequences depending on the choice you make during Legion's loyalty mission.

I wonder what smaller decisions though will come back to haunt you. Like will the character who's live you have in your hand during Garrus' loyalty mission. Will he come back and help you out at some stage? I'm sure there are many more such examples but I can't remember them right now. One thing I am really looking forward to is the return of the Rachni. Provided of course you saved them in the first game.

As for the MP discussion earlier in the thread I woudn't mind if it was included. Provided that Bioware have a big enough team for it not to impact on the quality of the single player. Has MP even been confirmed or is it still a rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

My initial assumption was that any character that has the possibility of dying in the 2nd game, would only have a small role or only even a mention in the 3rd game.

As is biowares style - can't spend ages coding and voice recording a character that'll only be there for half of peoples games (the people that didn't get them killed)...etc...

BUT I really hope I'm wrong. Cause that'd mean no Garrus, and no Garrus in mass effect 3, just wouldn't be mass effect... I wanna hear about his calibrations and ****.. :pac:

Likely , I'll be correct for 90% of the me2 cast but they'll still make garrus and tali primary squad mates.

This is the problem bioware face though by having a game where players choices effect who lives and dies and have that save carry over to 3 games.
    It gets more complex for them, I mean if garrus IS the main team mate he should be in me3 , how the hell would that effect those who got him killed? They still need to make the story and game workable for those people, thus garrus can't really have more then just a generic team mate role in the game, less dialogue etc etc.
    Or is there a work around?

We'll see I guess, but some things do seem to have to suffer due to this.

Theres a hell of a lot less squad interaction in the ME series compared to any other bioware game I've played. Which is a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sisko wrote: »
    My initial assumption was that any character that has the possibility of dying in the 2nd game, would only have a small role or only even a mention in the 3rd game.

As is biowares style - can't spend ages coding and voice recording a character that'll only be there for half of peoples games (the people that didn't get them killed)...etc...

I'd say more than likely the characters will just be written out of the story, in the same way many of ME1's cast were. Character X goes off to pursue a personal quest / vendetta / acting career. You'll likeLY get a few scenes with them as you cross paths & that will be that. They did that with the "romance" characters from ME1; you crossed paths, they broke up with you, the story continued.

Like you I hope Garrus & Tali return; in both games they were the better characters with more interesting and well written story arcs (as against the rather 2D cast of the new crew, with the exception of Mordan that is) & I found that I was naturally going the extra mile with their characters. Quite by accident, my John Shephard ended up romantically entangled with Tali just because I was being nice to her & responded to her vulnerabilities (as opposed to the other women who were a bit too of the "OMG I'm such a beatch!1!", "OMG I'm so misunderstood!1!" stereotype.

I really hope a lot of the smaller decisions in ME2 make impacts in ME3 - such as whether or not you convinced that kid not to join the mercenaries on Omega. It'll be interesting if he's now got a high position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just cleared ME2, cannot wait for ME3!!!!

Speaking of which, new info coming this week.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293351/news/ea-promises-mass-effect-3-exclusive-info-this-week/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just cleared ME2, cannot wait for ME3!!!!

Speaking of which, new info coming this week.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293351/news/ea-promises-mass-effect-3-exclusive-info-this-week/
    Nope, they changed their statement

There was a screenshot from the new Arrival DLC posted on the official ME2 thread over on neogaf.

Sorry can't find the direct link at the moment.

There was a screenshot from the new Arrival DLC posted on the official ME2 thread over on neogaf.

Sorry can't find the direct link at the moment.

Ya, the Bioware whores are holding screenshots to ransom. they want 750,000 views or likes or something on facebook, they can keep em!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/mass-effect-2-arrival/3155
    As most Mass Effect fans know by now, some recent intel regarding PS3 Trophies seems to indicate the impending arrival of some new ME2 DLC which many are speculating will bridge the gap between Mass Effect 2 and the highly-anticipated Mass Effect 3.

Well, adding fuel to the fire is the above picture, which was released yesterday via BioWare’s official Facebook page and contained the following caption:

“New Mass Effect 2 screenshots have Arrived. I’ll release a new one tomorrow if you share this one and help us get 750,000 impressions!”

• Advertisement

They released today's pic a few hours ago, promising another one tomorrow. They're all on the Bioware Facebook page

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd say more than likely the characters will just be written out of the story, in the same way many of ME1's cast were.

Indeed this will likely be the case looking at biowares typical style, will be a shame though as they really seemed to be building up garrus as shepards main "sidekick". Although they went a bit mental by making him a romance option, wtf bioware? Or should I say, WTF female gamers? :pac:

I tell yeah this whole process must be damn hard on the writers, they have a very good base line for a solid story but have to deviate from it or come up with some weaker stuff just so it works with the multiple choice story.

For eg (do not read if you have not beaten ME2) :

Blowing up the base or using it to fight the reapers. Naturally the logical progression of the story is to not blow up the base, it adds a deeper darker 3rd chapter where shep is gonna have to not only deal with reapers but also with evil TIM and this also helps the TIM story arc , will he build his own reaper? Will shep have to steal this reaper from him and eventually use it against TIM and then the reapers themselves? etc etc etc
    Then theres the fact that eliminating the base completely kills off the whole potential of having that story element needed where shep comes up with something to defeat the reapers, something that all those other civilisations didn't have.
    Lastly how utterly nuts it would be storyline wise and character wise to have the one character in the entire ME universe who understands completely how much of a threat the reapers are to all life in the galaxy... would blow up their only ace in the hole just because TIM is a racist prick.

The writers are gonna have to come up with some way for it to all work even if people pick the mindless "paragon" option of eliminating the one hope of defeating the reapers (how this is considered a paragon option I'll never know)

They can't just kill off all that story potential. Likely what'll happen is that the sheps that blew up the base, fucked up some how and only damaged it, so TIM still gets it, and shep still eventually gets to use it for help against the reapers while still keeping some off the wall moral high ground ignoring the fact that if shep succeeded in blowing it up, everyone would be dead..

If they do kill off all that story potential though just to appease the silly ending choice, I imagine some of the writers would be very frustrated in doing so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Healium wrote: »
    They released today's pic a few hours ago, promising another one tomorrow. They're all on the Bioware Facebook page

Grr, can't wait for ME3 but I cannot see your pic or any other pics posted on boards in a similar manner...anyone know what could be causing it?

ME2 was probably the finest game I have played and probably the best ending sequence too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lastly how utterly nuts it would be storyline wise and character wise to have the one character in the entire ME universe who understands completely how much of a threat the reapers are to all life in the galaxy... would blow up their only ace in the hole just because TIM is a racist prick.

The writers are gonna have to come up with some way for it to all work even if people pick the mindless "paragon" option of eliminating the one hope of defeating the reapers (how this is considered a paragon option I'll never know)

I'm pretty sure he (I?) decided to blow it up becuase it had been used to create a Reaper from the bodies of hundreds of thousands of human colonists, rather then to say '**** you' to The Illusive Man. It's an "I want to beat them, but i won't become them" kind of thing. And it's definitely the 'Paragon' choice.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Grr, can't wait for ME3 but I cannot see your pic or any other pics posted on boards in a similar manner...anyone know what could be causing it?

He didn't post a picture here, but if you want it, here you go. The only reason you might not be able to see it is if the site (i.imgur.com in this case) is blocked where you are. Image is pretty big, so posting as a URL rather then and IMG.

http://i.imgur.com/kfrsn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

200750_200919293269011_136219176405690_673881_3792540_n.jpg

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he (I?) decided to blow it up because it had been used to create a Reaper from the bodies of hundreds of thousands of human colonists, rather then to say '**** you' to The Illusive Man. It's an "I want to beat them, but i won't become them" kind of thing. And it's definitely the 'Paragon' choice.

The thing is for whatever moral or vengeful reasons you have to destroy the base, it ultimately means your gambling with the lives of trillions due to your own small (in the terms of a galaxy) hang ups. The one person who understands this the most is shepard. So its just uncharacteristic, the whole premise about shepards character is a person with the weight of trillions on their shoulders who has to make tough decisions with that in mind. But because its A GAME they have to make sure, not matter how wrong a persons choice is, it doesn't end up being the 'wrong' choice.

In other words they're not gonna have it so those who totally destroyed all the reaper tech end up getting killed in a valiant battle in the 3rd game and the galaxy gets wiped out of all intelligent life. And only those who just killed all the collectors but kept the base get to beat them in the 3rd game. What they'll do is have it so the base doesn't get fully destroyed for those that blow it or some other re write for those who didn't.

It would be interesting though if they did have a game where those major choices did effect if you could beat the game or not in the 3rd game, think it'd make more people think, rather then picking 'option x' fully aware that you can do so and still beat the game. If ME2 was any other medium shep would never blow up the base, its too much of a perfect story element to waste it as well as off the wall for the character.

The more I think about it the more blowing up the base seems like a renegade choice "I don't care how many billions of lives I put at risk,I'm blowing this thing up cause it pissed me off"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To have different story lines in ME3, do you have to have completed ME2 with different characters?

I have, so far, completed ME2 twice - once as, mainly, paragon - and once as almost completely renegade. Both were done with the same character though. Not in terms of going from the one save file, but the first completion was do with an import of Shep from ME1, and the second was done with an import of Shep from the completed ME2 game.

Will i have two different Sheps to import in ME3 (Level 28 or so paragon and a Level 50+ renegade)? Or do I have to start a completely new ME2 game to have more than one save?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Quick Q about the ending
    If you decide to keep it does some sort of explosion happen anyway? I thought I decided to keep it but I remember Shep having to leg it off the base and jumping onto the Normandy justinthenickoftime

Another Mass Effect 2 Arrival screenshot

5532529584_9b64001519_z.jpg

I'd like to dedicate this to FutureGuy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jim wrote: »
    Quick Q about the ending
    If you decide to keep it does some sort of explosion happen anyway? I thought I decided to keep it but I remember Shep having to leg it off the base and jumping onto the Normandy justinthenickoftime
    you set off some kind of DNA bomb or something if you decide to keep it, to kill all the collectors that are on the ship and clean it out - if you stuck around you'd be caught in the blast too and be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The more I think about it the more blowing up the base seems like a renegade choice "I don't care how many billions of lives I put at risk,I'm blowing this thing up cause it pissed me off"

I think you are kind of missing the point of the moral choice mate.

Some might be of the mind that the ends justify the means.

But There is an argument that...if you have to use evil to destroy evil....you've already lost and don't deserve to survive.

I'm really interested to see how they start your character in ME3. Will they take all your powers away and if so how will they do that?

Is 30 the max level in ME2? I'm currently at level 29.

I'm really interested to see how they start your character in ME3. Will they take all your powers away and if so how will they do that?

Is 30 the max level in ME2? I'm currently at level 29.

Wondering that myself! Ya 30 is max. Wouldn't like to start a new game with all my powers anyway, would like to build them up but interesting to see what excuse they will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just a crazy idea, you start off ME3 at level 30 and carry on to, say 60. ME2 and 3 will be virtually one big game that was cut in two. So people starting 3 will be filled in on 2's story like ME2 on the PS3 filling in part 1. At the start you pick your powers for a level 30 start or import your existing level 30 and carry on. Seeing as you face the Reapers from the off it should be a more challanging game.

If you die in 2 and import, well that will be the interesting part.

I know I started Paddy's Day early.

Jim wrote: »
    Quick Q about the ending

Radiation blast elminating all life in the area even beyond the station, the cut scene I imagine is no different from the other choice, big flash and blast that the Normandy escapes from etc.

Kirby wrote: »

But There is an argument that...if you have to use evil to destroy evil....you've already lost and don't deserve to survive.

Thats not even an argument, gambling with the lives of trillions, TRILLIONS, cause you don't want to use the same technology the bad guys use? Insanity. No one person has the right to gamble the lives of so many because of that persons moral hang ups and lack of foresight.

You don't see the world not using jet fighters or going to the moon cause its evil nazi tech.

The whole 'I'd rather die then use your methods' thing only works when its your life on the line. But when its your entire species, nay, the entire galaxy's lives on the line it's beyond nuts to blow that up for your own selfish reasons.

Shepard is not supposed to be happy handing over the base to TIM don't get me wrong, but this is what makes good story telling. Now shepard would have to deal with TIM and the Reapers , more brilliant story telling possibilities.

I'd be very surprised if the writers just binned all that potential story telling to appease that ridiculous choice in the ending , that base has too much story potential to completely vanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just a crazy idea, you start off ME3 at level 30 and carry on to, say 60. ME2 and 3 will be virtually one big game that was cut in two.

There was a ME1 you know.I expect people that have completed ME1,2 or Both that import their saves get a few levels boost like they did in ME2 & some extra weapons.
    I can't wait for ME3 but the longer they tease this the more I think ME3 will be delayed until 2012 cause the end of this year is looking ridiculously good.

Thats not even an argument, gambling with the lives of trillions, TRILLIONS, cause you don't want to use the same technology the bad guys use? Insanity. No one person has the right to gamble the lives of so many because of that persons moral hang ups and lack of foresight.

So did you agree with Saren in Mass Effect 1, when he helped Sovereign to try and bring the Reapers back? Before being Indoctrinated, he made a deal with Sovereign that thousands/millions might die, but that most would be saved?

That turned out well...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sarens biggest mistake was trusting sovereign, his heart was in the right place

--edit

also on the subject of consequences in games, im playing the witcher atm for the first time. and a small decision I made in the tutorial chapter resulted in an innocent man being murdered halfway through chapter two. I just stood there looking at his body for a few minutes thinking ".... damn". Was very cool.

• Advertisement

sarens biggest mistake was trusting sovereign, his heart was in the right place
    He trusted Sovereign, even though he knew that a hell of a lot of people (although he did hate humans anyway) were going to die.

The Witcher is great for seemingly minor decisions early on affecting the later end of the game. It's a great game, that i really need to go back and finish.

Advertisement