Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

29pts in Druids Glen yesterday Weather didnt help or my putter!

But what a course! Lads if you have never played it go book it, one of the best I have played..And I have played a lot :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played Tullamore in that wind / rain / sunshine / hailstones with shaunac93 yesterday, what a day for golf!! Was great craic all the same!! Even standing on some of the tee boxes without getting blown over was a challenge at times!

Started off with the classical straight out the car, first tee and swing!! Left off the tee and thinned my approach to go miles over the green!! Same with tee shot on the par 3 second, I'd say i hit it 50 yards and then put the second off the back of the green......again!! Calmed down a bit after that but way too many bogies and a couple of doubles after the first 2 scratches ensured the score was only ever going to be ok!
    Still, after having the 4 seasons and that wind i was happy enough with my score but more importantly really enjoyed the round - everyone needs to play a non competitive round and have the craic every now and then!!

I took on the 2 par 4's over water, wet on one but made bogie and just about made the other but Lamar High Meatloaf after hitting sand with my second, my first bunker shot in about 5 rounds!! I also was on the fringe of the 16th with my second - first time ever to do this.
    Like in Naas, I scored well on indexes 1 - 4 so there is a bit of a game in there just to get it out.

Ended up with:
    3 Pars
    11 Bogies
    2 Doubles
    2 Scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played 45 holes since 11 o clock y-day morning..mixed results tbh started off both days well with a few pars, couple birdies and bogies.

Crashed and burned after about 7 holes in tullamore with charlieIRL yesterday but had the craic, which is much needed every now and again.

Finished up with 34 points this morning at home, 21 on front and only 13 on back :( Should really start pacing myself but it's just to much of an additive game :)

Out again in morning with AlxMorgan in cork and looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll see a bit of sun, have had enough wind and rail and hail golf to do me for a good while :)

Had a very mixed round of golf with Alxmorgan this morning in cobh.

Started off with a triple bogie on the first and though "Oh no here we go again, its going to be one long morning". However to my delight i went on and parred the next two hole, obviously i got ahead of myself and before I could even contemplate a decent round the golfing gods too action and I had another triple on the 4th :(. The rest of the front 9 was up and down, hit some nice shots only to ruin a good score with a duff or other silly shot.

Then came their signature par 3 10th hole. A 122yard shot onto an island green and to make matters worse there was 5 green keepers working on the green as we stood up on tee box.

10thgreenfromredmarker.jpg

Unfortunatly Alan found the drink and it was my turn. Considering I had hardly got 5 iron shot airbourne all morning i didnt know what to hit so decided to stick to my guns and pulled out my 8iron. Two thought ran through my head "There is no water!,Keep your head down" So the kind greenkeepers kindly stood back and let me hit, here goes nothing a thought. Swung at the ball anyway at to my delight it took off up into the blue skies of cobh and i watch it closely as it started to decent to the little green below and amazingly stuck to the green 6ft from the hole :) A got a little cheer and a clap from the greenkeepers and all :) (These professionals are living the life getting praised for every shot they hit, talk about a confidence boost). So i strolled on down over the bridge and to my ball and sank the birdie putt. Happy Days.

Should have packed up and went home after the 10 because once again golfing gods didnt let me get too cocky and the rest of the back nine continued much like the front so good shots followed by some very bad ones!! I did manage one more birdie on the par 3 15th. At the end of the day i finished 12 over nett which it pretty chronic no matter what way you look at it. But i could pick out some positives.

Played 10 of the 18 holes to my handicap or better so if i could just sut out some of the doubles and triples i'd be doing ok. Still a good bit of work to be done on the swing change but it has only been less than a week :p Short game has improved alot still a bit to go also. Have gone from sometimes near 40 putts a round down to 32 with only 2 three putts one of the things I am most happy about (Go cross handed if your struggling with putting you wont regret it :). Was a lovely morning for golf and the views in Cobh and the course itself were fantastic, seriously contemplating student/distance membership after today.

So Overall

Birdies: 2 FIR 38% (less than normal but was poor off tee, topping alot of balls)
    Pars: 2 GIR 22% (Always poor and needs to improve)
    Bogies: 7 Putts 32 (1.8 per hole, which is improving)
    Doubles:3 Scrambling 7% also getting better
    Worse:4

Game golf is going to help me too :) Day one was a success and I remembered to tag it most of the time and was very easy fix up when I got home as I used golfshot to keep sats (swear i'm not a slow golfer even with using all these gadgets). Have 4 night duties in a row now so no golf for me til next monday :( Until then, thanks boards for letting me vent :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Then came their signature par 3 10th hole. A 122yard shot onto an island green and to make matters worse there was 5 green keepers working on the green as we stood up on tee box.

Was a class shot under pressure after seeing me put it in the drink and having an audience.

And repeated the feat on 15. Nicely done :D

• Advertisement

alxmorgan wrote:
    Was a class shot under pressure after seeing me put it in the drink and having an audience.

alxmorgan wrote:
    And repeated the feat on 15. Nicely done

Let's not mention the other par 3 over water...or the other 16 holes to be honest :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

29 points from 14 holes this morning in kk playing off 18 handicap. Skipped from 8 to 13th as was a few groups ahead of me
    5 pars
    7 bogeys
    2 triples

Driving was very good and straight all day. Long irons were poor and left a few tap in bogeys that thebpar putt just wouldn't drop. One of the triples was horrible as was on the fringe after two and thinned the wedge a ross the green.

Swing changes starting to show some improvements so happy with the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

had 36 points for the 18 holes on Sunday in tough conditions around Athlone. Got off to a middling start. I was +3 for the front 9 thanks to a birdie on the 9th hole. But then the 10th hole happened; having found the edge of the green on the tee-shot, I had to call a foul on myself as the ball rolled back as I was addressing my shot and hit the club. That distracted me and I walked off the hole with a 5.

Bogeyed the 11th too, still put off by what had happened and then proceeded to go -1 for the last 7 holes with a birdie on the 12th and 6 consecutive pars. Really proud of myself the way I held it together, but I did so by making a lot of really good up and downs. These new wedges are going to be something really special, I can feel it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Woeful. 5 3 putts after 8 or 9 holes and then I scratched 3 in a row and that was me done. Lost all interest but my playing partner did well so will let him post his own score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Loving the reports here these days - writing quality is improving around here :D

"Benice" - please post more rounds , you have perfected the tone of the anguished golfer in victory and defeat. The most painful brilliant 75.

I'm on a break at the moment - so when I hit, the most unreal, back to Celtic Tiger days traffic on M7/M9 area.
    I was in car going, will I just sit here and get frustrated or play golf. :D

So Castlewarden is the perfect motorway golf course, there should be a guide like the Michelin in a way.

I get lazy on links courses - I hit putts from well off green - I get ball around course without any shape - a low mill. I get away with just powering sand based divots. I can putt better on Links too. Strange to say that - but It could be just mental.

So I'm trying to keep parkland golf as part of my thinking and practice - just be ready for it. It is a different game in my opinion . Well a different game for me.

I like Castlewarden , a very sensible layout , all in there , great greens , different shapes to holes.

When I get there - I see 4 lads from boards - yes, 4, know their Username and real name - that is sad, very, or now becoming an uncomfortable virtual reality.

Course holds up very well - but the rain it has been exposed to has made it very soft in walking areas.

So - didn't know what to expect off the tee - and hit a few draws - nice as was needed on certain holes.

1 bad hole - bad chip , finished 4 over (for 9).

Putter not working well again, not horrible just not getting them in. But when you stop working on something it slips.

Anyway - great day for golf - hopefully the weather has turned , it was better than a traffic jam.

I hope there is no golf courses near me next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

81 today +9 for 37pts

9 pars
    1 birdie
    6 bogey's
    2 doubles

Fir 36%
    Gir 44%
    Putts 31
    Played well enough but two silly doubles in a row cost me. However put it behind me and played remaining 12 holes 3 over with a nice little bird on par 3 15th.
    Worrying thing for me today was hitting driver to the right on 8 occasions, maybe just a bad day with the big stick. I will work on it over the weekend. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

32 points off 17 in a windy Adare yesterday. Rubbish front 9 including 3 off the tee at the 1st. 18 points coming home including nervy 3 footer on 18 to draw the four ball. Good company and love that course so no complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Played Mullingar 82 for 36 pts in practice round not a true score, ball plugged just right off fairway never found it lads told me drop so ended with bogey, Missed silly putts on a few holes but over all game is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

2 games in the last 2 days in Castlewarden.

Bumped into Scubapro & Fix whilst there on Friday & I think Fix could tell I wasnt overjoyed with how I'd played.

Had 29 points, 91 strokes. Not much was going right.

28% FIR
    12% GIR
    20% scrambling
    33 putts

4 pars, 10 bogeys, 3 doubles, 1 treble

Was erratic off the tee, long approaches were solid enough, short ones not getting close enough & putts weren't dropping. Wrote it off as one of those days & moved on.

Today, much improved. wasn't perfect, but considerably better. Haven't done my stats up yet, but was 37 points, 83 strokes.

2 Birdies
    7 pars
    5 bogeys
    4 doubles

Tested out a driver (as opposed to my mini SLDR). Mixed results.

3w & hybrids were very good.

Approach irons were getting a lot closer.

Had a few 3 putts, but a good few 1 putts too. On balance was pretty happy with my putting.

So a bad start to my weekend of golf, but a good finish to it.

Ah, it's a funny old game this golf thing, can go from painful to joyful in 24 hours.

Played with a 5 handicap today, good to see a low player plot his way round with a fade off the tee.

Edit. Looked at stats for second round:

28% FIR
    22% GIR
    50% Scrambling
    28 putts

Guess short game was the real difference between day one & day two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Yesterday morning in a very strong wind in galway bay only had 26 points. Too tired and rushing to get to work at 1.00. But still bad golf is better than no golf. Playing tomorrow and Monday so hopefully good weather may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

35 points off 13 in Ballybunion today.
    17 out and 18 in.
    Scratched the last which was a pity, 3 off the tee and nearly parred that to salvage a point but just didnt drop. A pity as I played the back 9 very well. Missed a 15 footer for birdie on the 15th, pin high 230 odd yards... won't have a better birdie chance there in a while.

Very solid controlled golf on the back 9, front 9 was a bit up and down. A scratch thrown in on the front too.

played 12 holes yesterday evening with my dad. Shot +2. I definitely didnt play as well as my score reflected. I was +4 for 10 holes but then had back to back birdies on 11 and 12. Great way to finish off the evening and put you in good form for the game ahead tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

37pts today in good enough conditions. Greens were in a poor state after hollow coring, well thats my reason for 37 putts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

32 today. 13 out 19 back. Head wrecked by one of my playing partners. But that's a story for another thread. Driving good irons bad chipping poor putting so so.

87 Today for 43 points. I finally broke 90! :D:D:D :pac::pac:

Im in ecstasy writing this! my personal best & been told its qualifying so big cut on the way! giddy up, giddy up...... yea haaaaa.........

Drove great, putted great, pitches weren't great, but got them going towards the end..

What a day! What a feeling! What a game!

Im going on the piss now! :D later Peeps :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

35pts yesterday on home course
    7 pars
    11 bogey's
    Driver still going to the right !

36pts practice round Mullingar
    9 pars
    1 birdie
    5 bogey's
    3 doubles
    Fir 64%
    Gir 40%
    Putts 32 including 1 3 putt

Played much better than score suggests but very happy to hit fairways with driver. Looks like I have that sorted. 3 doubles in first six holes had me +6 and slightly peed off but decided to knuckle down and not let it get to me. Played holes 7 to 18 four over and realistically should have been no more than 2 over.
    Very happy with my mental game as it could have been so easy to just knock it around after the bad start.
    Playing again tomorrow in a singles competition and I feel a good score is on the cards. (Famous last words)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Had my best round in ages Sunday in Moate. 39pts / 83 strokes off 14. Still missed a few easy(ish) putts but overall was very happy with driving and irons. Was in a 3 person rumble (1 to score 1st 6, 2 to score middle 6, all 3 to score last 6) but I played every hole out fully anyway. Two birdies in a row on 9 & 10 and no zero pointers on the card which is always a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

benny79 wrote: »
    87 Today for 43 points. I finally broke 90! :D:D:D :pac::pac:

Im in ecstasy writing this! my personal best & been told its qualifying so big cut on the way! giddy up, giddy up...... yea haaaaa.........

Drove great, putted great, pitches weren't great, but got them going towards the end..

What a day! What a feeling! What a game!

Im going on the piss now! :D later Peeps :D:D:D

Is there any better feeling than this when the golfing moons line up? :-)

Ha, petty it doesn't happen more!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭cjfitz

A poor 35 points in Mahony's Point yesterday. 3 putts on the 2nd and 3rd were annoying. Got going a bit from there. Had 19 on the back 9 with a blank, which included a birdie on index 1, my first there :) Happy that I battled away.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

+12 for 18 off 14 in Grange Castle on Saturday morning, it was my first game in about 3 weeks due to an enforced layoff with man-flu which I couldn't shift :D Was a bit rusty getting going but had a decent back nine and I'm looking forward to counting competitions starting back up and getting the handicap going in the right direction again!

37 points for 18 holes yesterday. Mixed feelings about this one.

The Good.

I had 5 birdies.

Generally hit the ball just class!

The Bad

I had five 3-putts. I just couldn't get the pace of the greens and left every putt over 20 feet well short.

I missed 5 putts from within 2 feet.

Other than that, very happy with my game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Played Moate again today, lovely spot in glorious sunshine, but the golfing wasn't as good as yesterdays efforts. Started well and turned with 17pts but poor enough back 9 left me finishing with 31pts. Putting continues to let me down but I have started practising more so hopefully that will help.

Played in a classic today and was absolutely delighted with how I played :) Although it was only 2 scores to count on every hole I finished them all out anyway cause I new I had a good score going (and most of them counted too :p)

Was -1 after 5 holes and going strong, made a bogie on par 5 6th and went OB on 7 for a double and finished out front 9 at +3.

Back was solid enough too, couple poor drives into trees ment chipping out and I ended up playing back in +4.

Considering how poor I was playing lately I was absolutely delighted and still finding it hard to wipe smile off my face :) Think the format of the event ment I was just more relaxed and stuff.

Swing felt so easy and fluid and ball strike was class :) short game was decent and putter was on fire for along of round with only one 3 putt!

Overall: +7 (80) off 12
    Birdies: 1
    Pars: 10
    Bogies:6
    Doubles:1

FIR: 71%
    GIR: 44%
    PUTTS: 30 (1.6per hole)
    Scrambling:40%

I'll sleep with a smile tonight :)

• Advertisement

Found out my weekend 43 points wasn't qualifying! A bit disappointed as I am still waiting on my first ever cut...

came second thought which is good as it was a open weekend so some positives!

The lad that won the nett was a scratch golfer & had 39 points 8 birdies seemly :eek:

Advertisement