Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It was also wrong fro Reilly when he scored his last free kick to run over towards Canavan and extend his middle finger to him. There was no class in any of the action by Kingscourt people.

Can anyone confirm this happening? Very funny if true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone confirm this happening? Very funny if true!

Didn't see that but I'd say it's entirely possible. The "funniest" thing I saw was early in the second half, kingscourt kicked a couple of points and one of the Gaels forwards decided to lie on the ground telling the ref that he was injured. The ref told him to get up which he did and then ran twenty yards after his man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I suggest you watch the video of the sending off and you will change your mind. The ball was well gone when the collision took place. Murphy was open and by god did Faulkner take his chance to nail him.

You mention no class. After Lyng scored the point the goalkeeper and fullback struck Johnston so while he kicked the ball of the tee which was wrong and he was correctly booked for it he got a lot of abuse beforehand.

No matter what you thing of the Refs yesterday it was wrong to spit down on him and his linesmen at half time as they went down the tunnel as well as throw plastic bottles .It was also wrong for the player to strike the ref after the game. It was also wrong fro Reilly when he scored his last free kick to run over towards Canavan and extend his middle finger to him. There was no class in any of the action by Kingscourt people.

Cavan Gaels are no angels and have their fair share of people who misbehave on and off the field,but lets be fair and tell both side when we talk about no class and tramps !!!!!

Would love to see that video - any links??

You are the only one to mention any of the other things that happened so will take with a pinch of salt.

I did see a member of the Kingscourt back room team run on to the field and have to be restrained after the sending off but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Sounds like neither side covered themselves in glory . I know the stakes are high but if that kind of crap is going on both sides need to be reprimanded . But given the clubs involved politics will rule that wont happen .
    If the ref was assaulted or spat on that is not good enough and cant be tolerated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Would love to see that video - any links??

You are the only one to mention any of the other things that happened so will take with a pinch of salt.

I did see a member of the Kingscourt back room team run on to the field and have to be restrained after the sending off but that was it.

Ah tom, you should have left it there. Just for the crack:D. Sure most lads would agree with you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blue in hope

Tom if you were there did you see the aftermath of the thrown bottle in the uncovered stand? A Stewart took a person involved to task and he was then followed and confronted by other supporters. The Gardai are involved now and have taken the CCTV which caught everything that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

tanko wrote: »
    Didn't see that but I'd say it's entirely possible. The "funniest" thing I saw was early in the second half, kingscourt kicked a couple of points and one of the Gaels forwards decided to lie on the ground telling the ref that he was injured. The ref told him to get up which he did and then ran twenty yards after his man.
    To be fair to Oliver Og, he doesnt fall for the "tactical injuries" to slow the game down, and rightly so

Tom if you were there did you see the aftermath of the thrown bottle in the uncovered stand? A Stewart took a person involved to task and he was then followed and confronted by other supporters. The Gardai are involved now and have taken the CCTV which caught everything that happened.

I didn't but I was on the terrace's on the far side off the field. But if that stuff was going on hopefully the Gardai will deal with it as it has no place in a GAA match.

But back to things that happened on the field.

The red card was in my view the wrong call - not the first time McQuillan has got a major decision wrong and in my view McQuillan didn't have the right position to make the call. The ball was 50/50 and there to be won - everyone in the ground could see that Faulkner had lined Murphy up for the shoulder and was 100% committed to winning the ball. Murphy could see it coming too and tried to pull out and that is why he got hurt and McQuillan only seen the aftermath. Ollie didn't even flinch - he followed the play so it was clear to him that it was a fair challenge. The challenge reminded me of Gollogly's on McHugh in last year's Ulster final - hard and tough and nobody likes to see a player get injured but that doesn't make it a red card incident.

Someone else mentioned another issue where a gaels player lay down when he got a shoulder and Ollie basically laughed at him. Kingscourt have never feared the gaels and have always stood toe to toe with them and there has always been animosity between the teams. Niall Lynch has added a new dimension of physicality to Kingscourt since he took over and you could see that in Kingscourt this year. The gaels have none of that - it's too easy to out physical them - apart from Chesty they have no physically imposing players and I fear that again they will be eaten alive in Ulster.

The gaels will be destroyed by Ballinderry and there will be no tolerance for the dark arts they employ in the county from Ulster referees as we have seen time and time again in the Ulster championship - have the gaels ever finished a game in Ulster with the full compliment?

I really enjoyed the game on Sunday but the worry is that in the county context the best performers on the field are for various reasons not going to be part of the county set up and that is a worry for Cavan.

Ps - can you use the quote tags around the text you are quoting - it's difficult to follow the thread otherwise.

Tom I have been to nearly ever senior match in the championship this year.I missed a couple due to a couple of matches clashing. I am not a member or supporter of any senior club my own club is intermediate. I can honestly say Cavan Gaels have not used any "dark arts" different than any other senior team in the county have used.
    I checked up on the forum the last time the Gaels played in Ulster was against Glenswilly in 2011 they finished with full compliment- to ask the question have they ever is not really fair. Try to be open minded and remember every club has an element that people would prefer not to be there and every club has good decent people - Gaels included.

• Advertisement

Tom I have been to nearly ever senior match in the championship this year.I missed a couple due to a couple of matches clashing. I am not a member or supporter of any senior club my own club is intermediate. I can honestly say Cavan Gaels have not used any "dark arts" different than any other senior team in the county have used.
    I checked up on the forum the last time the Gaels played in Ulster was against Glenswilly in 2011 they finished with full compliment- to ask the question have they ever is not really fair. Try to be open minded and remember every club has an element that people would prefer not to be there and every club has good decent people - Gaels included.

I've been going to enough matches over the years to comment on what I see and to be fair - what have I said on here about Cavan Gaels that is not open - minded??

I know a lot of people who are involved in the gaels -same as most other clubs in the county. I have defended Seanie Johnston on this forum for a long time so it's very unfair to represent anything I say as otherwise.

I called the sending off as I seen it and I had a very good view of it - but if you have a video of it I would love if you posted it up here.

Re the Gaels in Ulster, anyone who follows Cavan football knows that indiscipline has cost them manys the game in Ulster - the facts will back me up on that. I've been at most of the gaels games in Ulster and I 100% stand over that statement - I have always been behind whatever team wins the county championship in Ulster. But to be balanced about it indiscipline is not exclusive to Cavan Gaels and even the county team found in difficult to finish a match with 15 players up until the last few years.

I also stand over what I said about how Cavan Gaels will fare against Ballinderry - they are a light team that lack a real physical presence and that will cost them. They struggle against strong physical teams - I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I doubt I will be.

A lot of debate on the gaels is cast in black and white and I do genuinely believe that the gaels do cultivate the siege mentality and the "nobody likes us but we don't care" attitude - it even came across in the speeches Sunday (believe it or not I stayed to congratulate them after the final whistle :D).

I do also stand over what I said about the gaels using the darker side of the game to see them over the line - the constant encroaching by the bench - if you were at the Lacken replay you would have seen the constant battle the linesman had to keep them off the field of play. The winding up of players is also a constant theme over the years - and yes other teams do it too.

It's not a debate worth having to be honest because people don't change their minds on things like this. What concerns me more is the state of the club football scene in Cavan and despite a few decent games this year its as bad as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Ah lads, look at the positive side of this situation........................................ Joe Mc Quillan WONT be involved in any officiating in the Ballinderry game...and with a bit of luck he wont even be at the game......:D

Under 21 Ulster Championship draw made. Donegal in the quarters - very tough start in the drive for five - no mention of venue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

I hope you all had tickets in the Cavan Gaels draw lol

Celt 262 not surprise where it happened but it is going to do a lot of damage to all clubs trying to fund raise now.

celt262 wrote: »

Mine was pulled out but I got nothing :D

• Advertisement

Celt 262 not surprise where it happened but it is going to do a lot of damage to all clubs trying to fund raise now.

I hope not it's the only way clubs are surviving.

Hope they are made an example off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What happened?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Mod: Sorry to have to do this lads but no speculating on what happened here - as I understand it the Gardaí are involved and any speculation here could land Boards.ie in hot water. I know it's only banter here so let's leave it at that.

good win for cootehill today . they play inniskeen of monaghan in 2 weeks time in clones , nice to have a bit more local rivalry

All quiet here......watched the masters on irishtv today ....good to see a few good servants to cavan football playing they wasted too many chances but looked like they enjoyed it anyway
    Good luck to Arva and Cootehill tomorrow

• Advertisement

disappointing results for both cavan teams on sunday
    by all accounts both of them let leads slip and couldnt finish them off when needed ?

is it this weekend cavan gaels and slaughtneill are in action ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    disappointing results for both cavan teams on sunday
    by all accounts both of them let leads slip and couldnt finish them off when needed ?

is it this weekend cavan gaels and slaughtneill are in action ?

Yep Cavan Gaels out this weekend (despite what the celt says :D)

Dissapointing results alright but to be expected to be honest. As was mentioned elsewhere the 17th? ranked team in Cavan was playing the 10th ranked team in Monaghan. As long as that stays the case it will be the same old story unfortunately for Cavan clubs in Ulster.

Hopefully the Gaels can get a result against Slaughtneil at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yep Cavan Gaels out this weekend (despite what the celt says :D)

Dissapointing results alright but to be expected to be honest. As was mentioned elsewhere the 17th? ranked team in Cavan was playing the 10th ranked team in Monaghan. As long as that stays the case it will be the same old story unfortunately for Cavan clubs in Ulster.

Hopefully the Gaels can get a result against Slaughtneil at the weekend.

Actually 18th ranked because 17 teams in senior champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

its an old topic for sure but the team that represents the county at club championship level needs to be better. Keep your senior championship but a higher competition of 8 teams, two groups of 4 then a final would give us a much better team going forth in the ulster club.

There is no will by clubs to change though.

As you know there are clubs in Senior who should be in Intermediate and then Intermediate teams who should be in Junior. We have a watery championship with no real bite in it as a lot of the games are mismatches.

I think that a teams league position should a bearing on the championship they play in.

As you know there are clubs in Senior who should be in Intermediate and then Intermediate teams who should be in Junior. We have a watery championship with no real bite in it as a lot of the games are mismatches.

I think that a teams league position should a bearing on the championship they play in.

Agree with you 100%. 8 Senior teams in championship, and split the balance of teams in to 16 intermediate and 16 Junior.

totally agree with that ,
    Div 1 = senior championship

Div 2 = Intermediate championship

Div 3 = Junior championship

but its never gonna happen when you have teams that refuse to be relegated and teams promoted without winning the championship its mind boggling to say the least

Are there even 8 senior quality teams though and who are they??

Cavan Gaels
    Kingscourt
    Mullahoran
    Ramor
    Castlerahan
    Ballinagh

Who else??? In my view it should be them six and the rest of the senior championship made up of amalgamations for the improvement of the standard of football. League would also need sorting out too - maybe top 8 play senior??

Draw for McKenna Cup group was made this evening - we are in with UUJ, Down and Monaghan. Will be seeing a lot of Monaghan next year!!

Are there even 8 senior quality teams though and who are they??

Cavan Gaels
    Kingscourt
    Mullahoran
    Ramor
    Castlerahan
    Ballinagh

Who else??? In my view it should be them six and the rest of the senior championship made up of amalgamations for the improvement of the standard of football. League would also need sorting out too - maybe top 8 play senior??
    Tom Joad is offline Report Post

I would agree with your six and would suggest Lavey and Lacken to make up the 8 teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Gaels have done what they do best and are out. Can't say I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

you could say that about most cavan clubs Gallant jj

Travelled up to Derry yesterday. Gaels left that game behind them. I wouldn't rate Canavan as a manager. Listing to people in the ground beforehand they all spoke of no Gaels midfield and if Slaughneil pushed up they would cause problems. It was not a surprise that this happened as it was clear to see all through the Cavan championship. What was shocking to see that when this happened the management did nothing about it until half time? They should have been a lot further behind at this stage only for poor shooting by Slaughneil.
    They completable took over the second half and could easily have won it. They held their opponents to just 2 points in the second half the last one was the last kick of the game. The one before was very dodgy as the linesman came in and argued the ball had gone wide.
    I don't believe at the end of the year that the manager knows his best starting 15 and that came back to haunt him yesterday.

Under 21 club championship in full swing over the weekend, at an entertaining game between Castlerahan, and a fancied Killan Gaels side (Bailieboro and Shercock). Killlan lead at ht by 4 with Killian Clarke cleaning up at mf, and were 6 up with 15 left.....and Castlerahan scored 7 points on the spin. Granted Killan were missing Argue, and Sankey came on, but great to see an underdog come through. St Josephs also beat West Cavan Gaels (a 5 or 6 club amalgamation as far as I know) in another entertaining game

Under 21 club championship in full swing over the weekend, at an entertaining game between Castlerahan, and a fancied Killan Gaels side (Bailieboro and Shercock). Killlan lead at ht by 4 with Killian Clarke cleaning up at mf, and were 6 up with 15 left.....and Castlerahan scored 7 points on the spin. Granted Killan were missing Argue, and Sankey came on, but great to see an underdog come through. St Josephs also beat West Cavan Gaels (a 5 or 6 club amalgamation as far as I know) in another entertaining game

Was very surprised Castlerahan won. Who played well for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Young Cormac Daly done a superb job on Clarke and got 2 points as well. Castlerahan have 5 or 6 strong lads but thats it. St Joes should have no problem overcoming them but fair play to them going by themselves and blooding young lads instead of joining up. Its always nice to see an underdog take a big scalp.

Clarke cleaned up in the first half, and then didnt get a sniff off Daly. Fergal Reilly done a lot of work at wing half back, and Enda Flanagan in the second done very well. Wasnt giving them a hope but fair play. It must be said that the Killan Gaels defence was atricious. No discipline in the tackle, giving Castlerahan a lot of scorable frees which were duly converted

Clarke cleaned up in the first half, and then didnt get a sniff off Daly. Fergal Reilly done a lot of work at wing half back, and Enda Flanagan in the second done very well. Wasnt giving them a hope but fair play. It must be said that the Killan Gaels defence was atricious. No discipline in the tackle, giving Castlerahan a lot of scorable frees which were duly converted

Cillian Clarke played Saturday night in the game for Anto so maybe ran out of steam.

Giveny has opted not to join the panel for the year coming. Might be now harm for him to give it a break.

• Advertisement

Cillian Clarke played Saturday night in the game for Anto so maybe ran out of steam.

Quite possibly, cant imagine his club was too happy. I know it was a great cause, but surely there was plenty of Cavan seniors, not involved in Club Championships that would have played instead, or even the Co Board who could have played the match on Fri under lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Giveny has opted not to join the panel for the year coming. Might be now harm for him to give it a break.

Out of interest how many league and championship games did he start for Cavan this year?

See Cavan Gaels draw was sponsored by Croke Park. Winner received a 48 week holiday!!!

See Cavan Gaels draw was sponsored by Croke Park. Winner received a 48 week holiday!!!

How does a club receive such a holiday or was it committee members?

Not that it makes any difference now but interesting to see that Padraig Faulkner had that red card he received in the county final rescinded!!

The interesting thing is here again someone gets off on a technicality. Why can referees not fill in the match reports correctly? The week after the match the Celt showed a still that showed the ref had got it right. He came out the following week in the paper and said that it was he not the linesman who made the decision and he was 100% happy with it. Then he fails to fill in his match report correctly!

• Advertisement

The interesting thing is here again someone gets off on a technicality. Why can referees not fill in the match reports correctly? The week after the match the Celt showed a still that showed the ref had got it right. He came out the following week in the paper and said that it was he not the linesman who made the decision and he was 100% happy with it. Then he fails to fill in his match report correctly!

I seen the picture in the celt and it showed nothing of the sort - whatever happened that video you saw??

On Givney I think it's no harm that he has a break for a while from football, he was far from his best last year for Cavan and changing clubs and a new job along with injury means a break would do him the power of good.

More worrying news emerging that Alan Clarke is unlikely to commit for 2015. Would be a big loss if we were without him.

More worrying news emerging that Alan Clarke is unlikely to commit for 2015. Would be a big loss if we were without him.

Not in my opinion he was poor last year and eventually lost his place so not much of a loss. The 3 that have left won't be a big miss.

Not in my opinion he was poor last year and eventually lost his place so not much of a loss. The 3 that have left won't be a big miss.

Conor Moynagh an upgrade at centre half back. Midfield may be an issue. Gearoid and maybe David Wright?

Didn't have a great year last year but that applies to a lot of lads to be fair. But to say he won't be much of a loss is harsh to say the least. He was captain for good reasons and a real leader in the dressing room and on the field. Had a great year in 2013 too and was back to form for Kingscourt this year.

Givney had a poor year and has been poor for a while; there's not much arguing with that and I'm not sure what his best position is but if he rediscovered some form he could be a real asset - break could do him a power of good.

Tierney has opted to go travelling and is another that could do with a break from football.

I hope that's the end of it because we can't afford to lose many more from the panel and I hope there is not a trend here.

Conor Moynagh is someone I'd see as well able to make a seamless transition to the senior side and is a future senior captain.

It will be a big year for Gearoid as I'm still not convinced that he is the same player as he was before his injury troubles and we need him back to his best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement