Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Corofin move the ball better than most county teams - exhibition stuff and they had the workrate to match it. The kicking, use of space and point-taking was really special - if the Galway seniors could emulate that they'd be a force.

Balintubber gave so much posession away that they were never really in it. Diarmuid O'Connor I thought had a good game. He's not the biggest player in the world and probably not as gifted as the brother but he's a very clever footballer, always makes use of the ball. Not a bad thing for Mayo.
    yop wrote: »
    Absolutely was top notch. They will be hard stopped. The ONLY weakness I could see in them was when Tubber ran at them at pace, I can see Connolly causing problems, but some of the scores and support play was excellent. They are at a v high standard.

Their trainer, who is from Mayo, is also apparently top notch and is still only in his 30's. He could be a future Mayo manager from what I am hearing about him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Indeed. Apologies for the delay.
    MayoSalmon, do not post in this thread again. Any more trolling will result in a forum ban.

Ah boooo, what are we going to on the off season with no trolls! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Their trainer, who is from Mayo, is also apparently top notch and is still only in his 30's. He could be a future Mayo manager from what I am hearing about him.

Was a fine footballer as well, played underage with Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He was to get Mayo u21 job two years ago but the county board turned him down and gave the job to tony Duffy instead. Duffy was part of ballintubbers management this year I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

He was to get Mayo u21 job two years ago but the county board turned him down and gave the job to tony Duffy instead. Duffy was part of ballintubbers management this year I might add.

Duffy has been involved with Ballintubber for a few years, it was actually another high profile ballintubber person who insisted he get the position. Join the dots.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Well, then he's doing the right thing by circumventing the politics and developing his skill set at a top club. Mayo tends to produce very good coaches, good football knowledge and they export well too. Wolfe Tones in Meath made it to senior with a Mayo-man in charge.

Plenty of positives that Mayo can take from it anyway. Going to be interesting to see what C&H do with that team.

Well, then he's doing the right thing by circumventing the politics and developing his skill set at a top club. Mayo tends to produce very good coaches, good football knowledge and they export well too. Wolfe Tones in Meath made it to senior with a Mayo-man in charge.

Plenty of positives that Mayo can take from it anyway. Going to be interesting to see what C&H do with that team.

If we are producing so many good coaches then is it the players or the Mayo Co Board that is the issue..... I suspect the later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Alan Dillon has confirmed he will stay on for another year, positive news. Quite likely he'll won't be a starter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Alan Dillon has confirmed he will stay on for another year, positive news. Quite likely he'll won't be a starter this year.

Don't no about that who will take his place?

Good that he is staying on. I can't see him starting either, Carolan is back, O'Connor no2, Regan, hard to gauge who if any, but now is their time to stake a claim. Would be a great influence off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    Don't no about that who will take his place?

They certainly have to find a few new half forwards, Dillion will make a good impact sub if he is not required to start.

What's the story with Conor O' Shea and Dirmuid O' Connor ?

Both started v Roscommon last year but were not ready I don't think.

Would like to see one of them slot in along with McLoughloin on the right and AOS in the middle.

Another possibility is, and I'll admit it's a bit far fetched and based on a very small bit of evidence, that you put Conroy in there as a runner.

In the games he came on v Kerry in 2014 he seemed to do better as a ball carrier than a man in the corner waiting for something to come his way.

As I said it's based on a very small 'sample size' of evidence and he is hitting 30 so I'm not sure how viable an option that would be.
    You could have Conroy starting games at 12 and Dillion finishing them.

Higgins has to be kept at 4 to shore up the back line these days and to teach the new young full back and corner back we are getting, isn't that right :)

Why shouldn't Dillon start games? Why are we so quick to write off footballers in their 30s? Fact is most GAA players retire at this point because they have family and work commitments, not because of the ageing process.

The manner in which he came back from his injury in the early part of the year was exemplary, he was also the best player on show for Balintubber this year. He keeps himself in great shape and he's easily one of the best playmakers in the country. There is no way that Carolan, C. O'Shea or D. O'Connor could impact a game in the way that Dillon does, they're just not at that level.

I would agree that Mikey Conroy could offer something as a wing-half but I would also look to Adam Gallagher who I thought was very impressive during the league. Still, Jason Doherty continues to improve and adds so much to that midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why shouldn't Dillon start games? Why are we so quick to write off footballers in their 30s? Fact is most GAA players retire at this point because they have family and work commitments, not because of the ageing process.

The manner in which he came back from his injury in the early part of the year was exemplary, he was also the best player on show for Balintubber this year. He keeps himself in great shape and he's easily one of the best playmakers in the country. There is no way that Carolan, C. O'Shea or D. O'Connor could impact a game in the way that Dillon does, they're just not at that level.

I would agree that Mikey Conroy could offer something as a wing-half but I would also look to Adam Gallagher who I thought was very impressive during the league. Still, Jason Doherty continues to improve and adds so much to that midfield.

At some stage you have to look to the future rater than rely on the same old guys to get you through.

Mayo are at a very important point right now
    The team is not too old to be past it, but neither is it full of young guns that you can plan the next few years around, as was the case with Horan in 2011.

The likes of Higgins, Seamus O Shea, Andy Moran, Dillion, McLoughlin are not getting younger or faster and the fear is that they will end up like Wille Joe, TJ KIlgannon, David Brady, Ciaran Mac etc.
    All the skill in the world and long illustrious careers, but no All Ireland medals.

So with that in mind I think the focus should be on getting new young starters rather than automatically going with the tried and trusted.

At some stage you have to look to the future rater than rely on the same old guys to get you through.

Mayo are at a very important point right now
    The team is not too old to be past it, but neither is it full of young guns that you can plan the next few years around, as was the case with Horan in 2011.

The likes of Higgins, Seamus O Shea, Andy Moran, Dillion, McLoughlin are not getting younger or faster and the fear is that they will end up like Wille Joe, TJ KIlgannon, David Brady, Ciaran Mac etc.
    All the skill in the world and long illustrious careers, but no All Ireland medals.

So with that in mind I think the focus should be on getting new young starters rather than automatically going with the tried and trusted.

Sure for the league, yeah but come championship Dillon is just too good not to start and he's currently playing some of the best football of his career, maturing like a fine wine as they say.

Obviously H&C know the current squad through and through and there's been talk of some of Mayo's 2013 minors stepping up but in fairness Horan did a good job bringing young lads on - e.g. C. O'Shea, D. O'Connor, Adam Gallagher and Coen. Whether there will be more youngsters blooded next year will be interesting. Does anyone really stand out? The younger Hanley is a big loss but maybe he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not too many players broke through during Horan's tenure although many were given chances. Only 3 starters from the debacle in Longford 2010 are no longer on the panel (Howley, Harte and Conor Mort). That's well below average churn at inter county level.

Definitely would'nt write off Alan Dillon,he was Ballintubber's stand out player in the club championship and has still much to offer at inter county level.

However I'd like to see Conor O Shea,Diarmuid O Connor,Adam Gallagher,Danny Kirby given further game time in the half forward line.These lads are the future of Mayo football...Aidan O Shea/Jason Gibbons are more options,who knows who else may be discovered?Jason Doherty appears a lockdown for a position if he carries his championship form forward.Lots of competition for places with Kevin McLoughlin in the mix.

Michael Conroy did seem to prosper in his brief running role against Kerry,might suit him better than the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

2015 Mayo GAA Fixtures.

We have the 2015 Mayo GAA fixtures page updated. Full details can be found here;

http://mayoclub51.com/mayo-gaa-2015-fixturesresults/senior-football-fixturesresults-2015/

Carolan has potential but I felt that his development had stalled during his last spell with Mayo - a tendency to drop the head and run down blind alleys. Diarmuid O'Connor's a very clever footballer, doesn't have the skill-set that Cillian does but he uses the ball really well. The youngest O'Shea - haven't seen enough of. Adam Gallagher stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Happy Christmas to all the Mayo gang on the forum. Bring on the FBD in January 2015:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭glack

Keith Higgins just announced his retirement from inter county football on Twitter. Huge loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

glack wrote: »
    Keith Higgins just announced his retirement from inter county football on Twitter. Huge loss.

[IMG][/img]keith-higgins-retires_zps3a6f19c6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭glack

mayo.mick wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]keith-higgins-retires_zps3a6f19c6.png
    Did you see CO'Cs reply? Maybe it's not true. Fingers crossed anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

[IMG][/img]keith-higgins-not-retires_zps931070ca.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

They said it was a "12 pubs of Xmas" prank on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

He lost a bet on a stag weekend apparently. I'd say he's surprised how many thought it was true, he's only 29 so very unlikely to retire for a few years yet.

Praise be the Lord,Zippy would have been some loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

that would have been a devestating loss to the panel.
    I was driving at the time and a friend text me . got the wife to read it out . she said some lad had retired from Mayo Keith Higgins!. I nearly crashed the car. I told her it was the worst Xmas ever which did not impress her :D
    can I get something else confirmed whilst I'm on!
    is cillian suspended for first league game or championship opener?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

km79 wrote: »
    that would have been a devestating loss to the panel.
    I was driving at the time and a friend text me . got the wife to read it out . she said some lad had retired from Mayo Keith Higgins!. I nearly crashed the car. I told her it was the worst Xmas ever which did not impress her :D
    can I get something else confirmed whilst I'm on!
    is cillian suspended for first league game or championship opener?
    First championship match as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

First championship match as far as I'm aware

if that's galway in salthill with 2 games under their belt that's a problem!
    also its a little ridiculous that a red card handed out by a joke of a ref last august rules him out until possibly next July!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Was it not a Ballintubber match Cillian had to miss?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement