Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

4D3E49F2B6834C9CB1D6D94A1419A75A-0000324846-0002533956-00800L-A0886BDEEC634A988A6D3B4D3C47D80D.jpg

045F3B0652BA462CAC504210B0A030D7-0000324846-0002533957-00800L-0801A681E60B4D6AA8DC2A57206C67C2.jpg

bought the cheaper one more for the strap, for another old watch

Jeez, 2 of them??? You know what would happen if you tried to board a US flight with not one but two F-91W's ???

Rubber Glove Treatment For Sure

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

marcus1971 wrote: »
    Jeez, 2 of them??? You know what would happen if you tried to board a US flight with not one but two F-91W's ???

lol yep. The "cheaper one" isn't a casio... and interestingly seems to be 0.5-1.0 secs faster per hour... that could be about 5 minutes fast over the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

marcus1971 wrote: »

Ha thank you wiki. So i could end up in Gitmo wearing this one. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

BX 19 wrote: »
    Any history behind them? It looks like a 80's digital to the uneducated :pac:
    Hi, my name is mtb_kng.

lol yep. The "cheaper one" isn't a casio... and interestingly seems to be 0.5-1.0 secs faster per hour... that could be about 5 minutes fast over the month

You try explaining that to the TSA when they have you bent over the table......I can see it now:

"Please sir, this is not a Casio F-91W, it just looks like one"

TSA Agent: "Sir, your watch clearly reads Casio F-91W on the face"

"But sir, its NOT a real one, it has been modified"

TSA Agent: "Sir, why did you modify your watch, what could be the possible reason for this, it is a $10 watch...WHY MODIFY IT?"

"Sir I just like watches, especially 80's style digital watches, I didn't modify it myself, someone else did"

TSA Agent: "Why would someone else modify this watch sir? Who did this modification?"

"I don't know, it was just delivered to me like that...."

TSA Agent: "You are aware sir that all passengers travelling to/within the USA are closely monitered and your possession of Casio F-91W is an indication to us that you may be trained in bomb making?"

"No sir, I didn't realise that, honest I don't know how to make a bomb"

TSA Agent: "Well sir, your possession of a modified version of a terrorist related tool would suggest to me that you are not telling me the truth, now if you would lean over the table and relax this will be far less traumatic for you........................"

:eek: ... This will be the look on your face as the TSA Agent goes about his business.

LOL, It could be far far worse to not have a terrorist watch than actually have the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

And here's my 26 year old Adec. The new strap and it had lost two buttons so adjusted the case to fit some from a broken Casio. Probably not 100m water resistant anymore

F59FB82BC5F84B17BFBAFFD1C14F16E1-0000324846-0002535074-00800L-B10FA0D2AA0A4E70A15207533908A36B.jpg

6B74365CB6CD479B95FD34E674C33534-0000324846-0002535073-00800L-05146C36FD5944A08E27A6C3DC931257.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My Seiko chrono - have it about 2 years now.
    snac05p1-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

(insert picture here)

Teaser post...just got the invoice for a Stowa 1938 Chronograph...come back in 14 days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Reloc8 wrote: »
    (insert picture here)

Teaser post...just got the invoice for a Stowa 1938 Chronograph...come back in 14 days :p

Ooh I've a bit of an itch for a nice stowa for a while now. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Did you deal direct with Stowa?

Yep - aside from used purchase I don't think there's another way to source them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I had to have a vintage diver for my collection and wasn't that keen on the usual Rolex ones(and I'm broke :D). The Blancpain 50 fathoms is an orgasm on a strap, but did I mention I was broke?... Peasant and his keen nose for ex CCCP divers with their novel waterproofing solution was tempting, but another novel approach and look always had me hooked. So after a pretty shítty week for me, I finally got my diver watch I've been looking for(and last minute outbid) for ages. Got it for high end Sturmanskie money too and if ever I reckoned investment in vintage this is one IMHO.
    174696.jpg

Lip Nautic Ski electronic dive watch(the first) with super compressor case and two crowns. The one at 2 rotates the internal bezel, the lower one sets the time and date(and stops the movement when it's pulled out). It'll be my only watch with a date so I'll really only be happy every third of the month... :D

When I say electronic, it's not a tuning fork or quartz job, it ticks like a normal watch. It's a Fixed Coil System, Contact Controlled movement I gather. Looks like this;
    Belforte%20Electronic%20Diver%20LIP%20R148.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    174696.jpg
    /QUOTE]

Very Very Jealous here...........What size is the case? looks like 38-40mm ish, I've bid on a few of these myself......that one is in very good condition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

36mm ish. It wears bigger and I've scrawny wrists. Fashion for big watches? I've been fashionable for years :)

Yea it's in good nick. IT even has new seals on both back and crowns. The dials tend to degrade alright and the bezel gear goes too. Only a few years back they could be had for feck all(tm), then they settled around the 200-250 level. They've started to creep up beyond that now. I got real lucky. Now it's more like 400-500 on ePray. I can see that going higher, what with the Jacques Cousteau connections. Of those watches oul Jacques and his crew wore the rest are mad money.

Have to say so far it's been remarkably accurate time wise. In 24hrs it gains 2 seconds. Given how flaky sometimes the movements can be and after 40+ years. I'm defo well pleased with it. Took me long enough to get one. :mad::)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs - class piece - thanking the pic wasn't enough, had to say it.

Fedex Claus called to the office today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Nice boxes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just the box, or did you get a watch you can post as well?

(!) I deleted the watch shot - running to a meeting - will post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

You tease :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Damn you....Damn you all to hell

Note: Mr.Claus also arrived to me today aswell...3 times...

hehehehe....can ya tell what it is yet ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

6171899147_8b691948fb_z.jpg

GMT Master II

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

APM wrote: »
    6171899147_8b691948fb_z.jpg

GMT Master II

nice, same as mine :)

ive just had the centre links brushed

drool

Sorry sorry sorry - not deliberate honest !

Quick and dirty iphone pics attached.

I'm very, very happy - This was my max budget for an IWC portugese style watch. I've handled those and I won't say that this is the absolute equal, but its very, very, very, very close, and has its own particular charm anyway - I particularly like that the arabics are replaced with indices where necessary and not cut off anywhere.

These pics arn't really up to scratch - in person the similarities to IWC proportions are far more pronounced, especially in terms of the depth of the dial. You also don't get any real appreciation of the precision with which the arabics and indices are picked out (not applied but diamond cut) from these pics. The colour tones are also far richer in real life.

Better pics to follow over the weekend, I have no doubt !

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Stowa do some beautiful watches. I and that is one of them. That's beautifully understated and classy.
    Wear it in good health.

Actually, the only stowa watches I don't like are their dive watches.

The sun came out momentarily - slightly more attractive shot.

Very nice, how wide is the case? I like how it's a dress watch, but nice and big too. Nice combo.

Small thin dressy watches, much as I really like them, just don't fit my wrists.

Stowa's measurements are 41 mm diameter (not including crown/pushers), lug to lug 50.2 mm, lugs 22mm.

Height - 14.7 mm (!) - so quite chunky (Valjoux 7753). French cuffs accommodate it though. Button cuffs would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

My humble collection (please excuse the horrible iPhone photos).

1. Omega Seamaster Pro Co-Axial
    photo-5.jpg?t=1316712717
    Subtle and classy. Wear it mostly at work, the bracelet is a little on the soft side and isn't really up to much more than desk diving.

2. Sinn U1
    photo-1-2.jpg?t=1316712718
    A beast of a watch. You know you're wearing it when it's your arm. Great size and weight, absolutely love it.

3. Damasko DA36
    photo-2-1.jpg?t=1316712732
    My daily 'beater' when not in the office. My first real automatic, can really be worn anywhere, don't think I'll ever sell it.

4. Seiko Arctura
    photo-3-1.jpg?t=1316712734
    An old Seiko kinetic I haven't worn in ages. Still quite like it though.

5. G-Shocks!
    photo-4-1.jpg?t=1316712741
    A G5600A-7 and a Riseman. A huge amount of watch for very little money. Very capable and indestructible. Great all rounders.

Next on the list...a Sinn 857UTC - smashing watch. Then an IWC Portuguese Chrono, white dial blue handles (same as Cryus') but that's a while away yet:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    My humble collection (please excuse the horrible iPhone photos).

Then an IWC Portuguese Chrono, white dial blue handles (same as Cryus') but that's a while away yet:(

Beautiful watches...am putting away a bit each month my self for the same IWC

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement