Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck tomorrow, I hope you have a safe, enjoyable and FAST race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Oyrx.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck - 5:45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck tomorrow, you certainly deserve it for all the early mornings and diligent sessions you put in.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks guys. :) Cinderella is just home from the wedding and heading to bed. 4am start. Yikes.

And RQ, not a hope of that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck Oryx see you in about 8 hours :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

6:05? Looks like a good performance Oryx. Well done. Great swimming.

Didn't break any records today. Didn't even see anyone from here except Elvis! Happy with the run. The rest was pants. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You are the queen of understatement. You just completed a double Olympic in basically 6 fecking hours - you are awesome. !!!!!!! Woo hoo!!! And all that jazz!!! Your kids must think you are the coolest mom ever. Congrats on the accomplishment....you must be feeling so good for 4 weeks from now. :)

I'm not complaining. There were a lot of positives today. My nutrition works. My swim is ok and I can run well off the bike. Felt grand afterwards not tired or sore. Now, the bike speed is a problem but Cest la vie. I'll do what I can do come July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Fair play to you Oryx. Great performance.

I'm not going to do a big long report on yesterday, so I'll just log a few bits. It was a tri, you guys know the drill and can fill in the gaps. :)

Swim
    Into a surprisingly tepid river, I went right to the back for the start. Even so, it seemed like dozens swam over me. From where?? I gradually drifted further and further back to finish the swim in 1.16 I had no problems apart from cramping calves all the way through.

T1
    I was perished and struggled into arm warmers. Put on my helmet, and couldn't find my glasses. Dammit. Faffed about looking for them but had to give up. Annoying. Slow. 3.22

Bike
    I shivered through the first 5k and struggled with legs that wouldn't do as they were told. Didn't find any rhythm at all till the last 10k. One long string of crap cyclist issues. Slow turnarounds. Slow descents. Slow when getting food out. Stopping to refill water. Just bloody slow. 3 hrs dead.

T2
    Got rid of the bike and into shoes and gone, 1.22. Thats more like it. My glasses reappeared, dropping from my helmet as I took it off. Still scratching my head over that one. (had left everything inside it at setup)

Run
    On the bike I thought I would never find my run legs, and it did take about 4k to hit my groove. I didn't time my Kms I prefer to run by feel. Maybe this is why I never get fast. ;) I enjoyed the rest of the run at a steady pace which I picked up gradually for the last 4k. Had a blister from 8k and stopped to empty grit and grass from my shoe at one stage. Didn't pass many, there was hardly anyone left out on the course. :) 1hr 44

Finish time 6.05.53. Better than I thought I'd get leaving T2 but really, that bike just isn't good enough.

That run split is pretty wicked. I can't wait to see how you get on at the Dublin marathon. Again, well done yesterday. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    That run split is pretty wicked. I can't wait to see how you get on at the Dublin marathon. Again, well done yesterday. :)
    Run, schmun. I'm meant to be a triathlete, dammit!

And tonight playing on the wii fit with the kids, it told me I have a problem with my balance, which is very poor. That explains a lot!

Just back from an early run. 17.5k in a mix of road and hilly trails. Such a great morning for it. 105 mins total.

Sea swim tonight. Didn't intend to go far, but particularly so when I got in and had to deal with a strong swell and very cold water. Did about 800m and was glad to get out as I was shivering. :) I think thats enough for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well done Oryx - being able to run strong off the bike will give you great satisfaction in Austria as you fly past all the "uber bikers" who forgot about the run....

Izoard wrote: »
    Well done Oryx - being able to run strong off the bike will give you great satisfaction in Austria as you fly past all the "uber bikers" who forgot about the run....
    I'll console myself by saying 'see ya later' as they fly past me on the bike. :p

But in all seriousness, I will need to sort my bike out over the next twelve months. Its too late for this race, but jeez I am so sick of being so slow. Improving has been like yer man in shawshank chipping away at the wall. Slow and tedious, with very little visible benefit.

But the thing that has surprised me about this kind of training is the recovery. Last year after Antwerp HIM, I was buggered for two weeks. This year, I took Sunday off after the double, more to improve the state of my house than my body, and got back into it yesterday feeling fine. I think thats more a mental thing than physical. You just bloody get on with it because you have to. :)

Today I will admit to feeling tired and heavy getting up. Like gravity was pulling on me harder than normal. But got on the turbo anyway. I did not push hard enough. (anyone seeing a pattern here?) I know I didnt and I know that is my problem. I need more suffer in my sessions. 55 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

How are your logistics for Austria - all sorted?

Do you need any Foo Fighters? (Listening to them know, and I always think of you when I have them on.) I've got a ton and could burn you a few if you have any requests. Will bring them with me on my trip.

• Advertisement

As far as I know everything is booked and paid for. I just have to add luggage to one of the flights. I haven't really thought about it much as its been done ages. I'll worry about what kit to bring and lists and stuff once I'm into taper.

Thanks so much for the offer of music. :) Anything at all would be wonderful. I'll do a cultural exchange and burn you something Irish. Hey. We can't get arrested for pirating can we? :)

I prefer to call it international sharing of music for the goodwill of cultural relations. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

All this talk of music and no one calling the expert:(:D

All this talk of music and no one calling the expert:(:D
    So, in your professional capacity, what should a numpty cyclist and IM wannabe listen to in order to increase motivation and the ability to do stupid things like ride a bike for seven hours? :)

Oryx wrote: »
    So, in your professional capacity, what should a numpty cyclist and IM wannabe listen to in order to increase motivation and the ability to do stupid things like ride a bike for seven hours? :)

where would you be listening to it, the car ? turbo session ?

where would you be listening to it, the car ? turbo session ?

All the above, and on the treadmill and in a field running like an idiot - or as you might say, ejit. Oh, and steer clear of any techno music - I just don't "get" it. I'm guessing you're a huge Elvis Presley fan???? :confused: Or Elvis Costello?? Or Elvis Presley?? ;)

Nope i just like the word Elvis...........

I'll post a nice playlist tomorrow:)

I'm beside myself with excitement! ;) Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »

AC/DC, AC/DC and some more AC/DC :)

Seriously, IMHO you don't need music for running, takes a bit of time to get used to but no music helps you concentrate on form and enjoy the scenery.

On the bike the same, no need for music.

On the turbo you do need something. Sopranos,movies, rugby, pro cycling, any comedy, MTV, kiddies programmes (with kids), LOTR's......I've tried them all and the turbo is still mind numbingly boring. Structured sessions with a specific aim are best for me but only for up to 90 mins max.

• Advertisement

Nope i just like the word Elvis...........

I'll post a nice playlist tomorrow:)
    Thanks man. And tho I've met you and do know your real name you'll always be Elvis to me. Ya auld hunka hunka burning triathlete, you. :)

Advertisement