Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

Anyone with personal experience of the “Blackrock” stove from the Heritage series out there ? Am considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howman

In the market for a cassette stove
    Room heat only
    Actual requirements are approx 5kW for the room

We are looking at increasing the size for electricity out, open the doors heat the house senario

Boru seem to well priced but design/style is not exactly cutting edge

Lotus (Denmark) have some very nice designs but your paying for it

Any suggestions of a middle ground or otherwise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

howman wrote: »
    Room heat only

We are looking at increasing the size for electricity out, open the doors heat the house senario

Boru 400i Cassette is 7kw and roughly around €949 including frame.
    No experience with Lotus.

Others to consider:
    Heat Design TR5C - 5kw Cassette @ €815
    Heat Design Vitae 6kw (Glass Fronted) Cassette @ €999 (Including multifuel Kit)
    Henley Porto 400 7kw Cassette Stove: €950

Top of the line:
    Di Lusso R4 - 6kw Cassette Stove: €1399 (Exceptional Air Control)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Room heat only

Have the boru 400i since August very pleased with it to date , the only gripe I have is that the ash tray does not extend the full length of the unit.. I presume that's something to do with airflow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

hi - I have a 8kw morso panther set into the recess of what used to be the fireplace. There's plenty of room around the stove, and it looks great. It's doing an OK job heating a fairly large room as it is, but am considering taking it out of the recess so the whole stove is out in the open. Can anyone tell me, will this make much of a difference? It seems to make sense that a stove that is not tucked into a recess would be much more effective (radiant + convection wise), but would hate to go to the bother to realize there's very little difference.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Maybe a self powered stove top fan, would push the warm out from Alcove to room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I have 2 already. :)

They do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howman

Boru 400i Cassette is 7kw and roughly around €949 including frame.
    No experience with Lotus.

Others to consider:
    Heat Design TR5C - 5kw Cassette @ €815
    Heat Design Vitae 6kw (Glass Fronted) Cassette @ €999 (Including multifuel Kit)
    Henley Porto 400 7kw Cassette Stove: €950

Top of the line:
    Di Lusso R4 - 6kw Cassette Stove: €1399 (Exceptional Air Control)

am a fan of the landscape type designs....don't need a big unit but they look nice!

with installation, floor level or raised 2/3 ft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Will be putting a stove into a new build and wondering should I tile under the hearth stone that the stove sits on or just put the hearth stone on the concrete floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Boru 400i.
    does anyone have any timescale as to how long the lifespan should be for the sides and back before replacement is necessary , generally burn logs and stovoids and always careful not to bang the sides??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Plumbing heating 1990s family home 4 beds , hall, living come kitchen gonna situate stove, other family room. 2500 sq feet total house size.
    Rads- 16/17 decent sizes
    Want to over spec the stove rather than under sizing it.
    Gonna slab all ext walls purlin walls and ceilings in 62mm board.
    Oil condensing boiler going in too.

Can you recommend a stove?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

arbf1 wrote: »
    I am back looking for bit of advice on the best freestanding boiler stove to heat 8 double rads, hot water and a room 13ft x 16ft. I have double doors to small kitchen 10 ft x 8ft and single door to hallway which could be left open if room became too hot, room heat is very important in my search. House is 2 bed with 2 further bedrooms on an attic conversion. What is the best on the market for this? Currently have ineffective back boiler and oil. Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Look at Stratford EB16HE or Inis Oir/Meain Mk2 boiler. Both will be able to cover your requirements but get your plumber to do a correct sizing of KW or BTU needs before making final decision. Both excellent stoves and about the best out there at the moment.

Room heat only

Check out the Meg range. We have the Meg contemporary insert which gives 4.5k to the room. Very warm stove, very controllable, and nice flush finish. Being sold by Oldens in Cork and they are sole distributor for Ireland I gather.

The RealMcCoy - I've pmailed you...

rumar wrote: »
    Will be putting a stove into a new build and wondering should I tile under the hearth stone that the stove sits on or just put the hearth stone on the concrete floor?

Tiles will work fine. I did it with mine and it worked fine. I just picked a dark tile. Ive even seen people drop the tile level under the stove so they can sweep into it. My brother did that. A very clever and time saving move. Just make sure you have good leg height on the stove but as long as you have 4-5 inches there wont be any danger to the tiles below.

http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=485

looking to purchase a stratford 25kw boiler stove to heat up to 19 rads 2500 sq foot dormer. poorly insulated so trying to dryline and slab as i go along.
    1990 built house. the stratford is pricey enough at 2500 k but is it worth it as can get similiar output boiler stoves at cheaper prices.
    recommendations welcome.
    thanks a lot!

[QUOTE=gomamochi1;

looking to purchase a stratford 25kw boiler stove to heat up to 19 rads 2500 sq foot dormer. poorly insulated so trying to dryline and slab as i go along.
    1990 built house. the stratford is pricey enough at 2500 k but is it worth it as can get similiar output boiler stoves at cheaper prices.
    recommendations welcome.
    thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

You are on the right track and I saw one of them in action (the EB20) over the xmas and it was very impressively doing a nice sized bungalow (2000 sq ft Id say) with comfort. Throw Inis into your mix - especially if room heat is important to you. Not as pricey but still a premium product and will do both room and rads very well. I also saw one of them in action. Very impressed also. As it happens there are a few well priced Inis Stoves for sale on DD at the moment.

You should look at trying to zone your rads in some way though, as thats a tall order for any stove.

But to answer your questions, yes, these stoves are more expensive for good reason and I wouldnt save on them when you are going to be asking them to heat a fairly decent amount of water and house space.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

We're currently looking at stoves for a new home non-inset, with an external air input. We plan to have between 10 - 12 standard rads heated from the back boiler. We also plan on having the stove heat the room. Room is pretty large with a vaulted ceiling so getting heat into the room will be important.

Our plumber has recommended Stanley Lismore or Erin stoves. I like the Lismore but was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of alternatives, so I could size up all of my options. We have a budget in mind (1500 - 2000) but could stretch if the product was good enough.

Any help appreciated

PaddyJohn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not related to the previous post, we are thinking of getting a Stratford EB25. This is to heat a large open plan area and 19 rads.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

thanks

HI Paddy did you have any luck with the stratford eb25 as thinking the same myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lads, iv settled on a Firebird Troy Inset Stove with back boiler for 5 double rads & 5 singles. Im replacing an open fire with back boiler that's not working.Any feedback on these would be really appreciated? I was going to get a "hi flame" but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

• Advertisement

Well lads had a plumber out today talking about a thermal store of a cylinder with direct feed from stove, oil boiler and solar futur proofing. Thinking of putting this 6' cylinder in the hot press and the way it sems to work is you have constant hot water . Anyone have this system in place rather than the traditional elements and coil fed cylinder from the boiler stove? Advice welcome as trying to size stove and this sytem don't require such a large kW output stove as the Stratford eb 25. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I would buy a HiFlame before I would buy a Firebird.
    Firebird are well known for oil boilers etc,not multifuel stoves.
    They have dipped into the stove trade but have not made any inroads as their product is average and industrial looking.The quality of the workmanship and attention to detail is poor from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lads, iv settled on a Firebird Troy Inset Stove with back boiler for 5 double rads & 5 singles. Im replacing an open fire with back boiler that's not working.Any feedback on these would be really appreciated? I was going to get a "hi flame" but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

Also was looking at a Charnwood but that was E1750

I would estimate you need 15-17kw to water.
    Your options are limited.
    Stratford EB16 Insert
    Henley Achill 21kw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

liam7831 wrote: »
    but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

Why would that put you off?

Would you buy an IPhone or IPad from China?

How do you know your stove was not cast and assembled in China or India anyway and the just the glass fitted and painted here to make it Irish?

I always think of this thread when I go into Dunnes and see the packet of sliced pineapple, melon and grapes with the "Love Irish Food" label on the clearly imported produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Originally Posted by liam7831 viewpost.gif
    but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

how quaint of teh island dweller

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Well lads had a plumber out today talking about a thermal store of a cylinder with direct feed from stove, oil boiler and solar futur proofing. Thinking of putting this 6' cylinder in the hot press and the way it sems to work is you have constant hot water . Anyone have this system in place rather than the traditional elements and coil fed cylinder from the boiler stove? Advice welcome as trying to size stove and this sytem don't require such a large kW output stove as the Stratford eb 25. Cheers

What output do you require?

padraig.od wrote: »
    We're currently looking at stoves for a new home non-inset, with an external air input. We plan to have between 10 - 12 standard rads heated from the back boiler. We also plan on having the stove heat the room. Room is pretty large with a vaulted ceiling so getting heat into the room will be important.

Our plumber has recommended Stanley Lismore or Erin stoves. I like the Lismore but was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of alternatives, so I could size up all of my options. We have a budget in mind (1500 - 2000) but could stretch if the product was good enough.

Any help appreciated

If room heat is important you have to look at Inis. I've seen it in action. V impressive.

Also consider the Stratford range. Also had first hand knowledge of this and it would fit the bill.

To be fair, I cant fault Stanley but when i had 4 plumbers in a row recommend them to me i had to wonder were they just doing it as its seen as a 'safe' option rather than the best for the customer. It seems to be the default response of Irish plumbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Was in a stove shop yesterday and assistant told me I should run a vent into room above living room where stove will be as we will have false chimney around stove.

Seeing as the room above is the master bedroom I was thinking it might be a great way to heat the room well but wondering is there any drawbacx to doing this, will it be taking alot of heat out of the living area where I really want it.

Still on the look out for a decent 10kw roomheater stove. Man yesterday recommended a stovax stove at €1350. Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Jane98 wrote: »
    Was in a stove shop yesterday and assistant told me I should run a vent into room above living room where stove will be as we will have false chimney around stove.

Seeing as the room above is the master bedroom I was thinking it might be a great way to heat the room well but wondering is there any drawbacx to doing this, will it be taking alot of heat out of the living area where I really want it.

Still on the look out for a decent 10kw roomheater stove. Man yesterday recommended a stovax stove at €1350. Any other suggestions?

Ya I'd say that it would suck some of the heat from the living room into the bedroom. Also ia vent would allow noise travel aswell - not good if there's a TV on and someone wants to sleep.

Advertisement