Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the dole too generous?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

We now have 300,000 people on the live register, and that figure is forecast to rise to 400,000 by the end of 2009.

Would this be because an extra 100,000 people just got lazy all of a sudden or because the jobs just aren't there anymore.
    They are exploiting the sharp increase in unemployment benefit on this side of the border which has seen the weekly unemployment benefit rising to over €200 while, on the northern side, the weekly figure is £60.50p sterling.

This is an anomaly and using it as a basis of an argument to halve welfare payments here just doesn't hold water.

Just curious but do posters here fell the old age pension should be reduced to €100pw ?

This'll be my last word on the matter .... Probably.

Like I said earlier 320 let go in my locality recently mostly middle aged men & women who paid tax all their adult lives. These people have commitments, responsibilities to honour. Some posters on here would see these people try to survive on €100pw after years of paying into the system. Now I'll make a presumption here that most of these posters have enjoyed a relatively free education for themselves quite recently from this very same system these people paid into to.

By all means let's look at social welfare payments but let's do it after we look at ministerial pay/pensions/expenses , then let's look at public/civil service pay/pensions. Let's look at what can be trimmed in the H.S.E , E.S.B etc . Take a look at decentralisation , partnership. Let's look again at some of the capital projects. I realise this is all very simplistic and flawed but why just jump right in there with a halving of social welfare payments. Let's start at the top and work our way down to the vulnerable in society.

There's a storm brewing and to put welfare recipients at the brunt of this storm is to my mind abhorrent. We all need to take a hit, be it a pay cut/freeze or higher taxes. Let's look at reducing welfare payments after we've made reductions elsewhere and pray to God that we don't see a reduction like what's being suggested by some posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PRSI - if you are gonna cut the dole, you have to reduce PRSI also. I've paid over €4000, not to mention what my employers have contibuted, since beginning work. I could claim the full dole for 20 weeks and not have taken a cent from the state.

No, it's Pay Related Social Insurance and if you pay 6%, includes a 2% Health and Employment levy. It pays for SW and Health so cutting it actually reduces the money available!

Its an interesting topic and I can see both sides. I have to wonder why it's £60 under a Labour Govt. in the UK though.

Our minimum wage here is €340 odd, dole and rent allowance adds to not far off that.

One of those isn't right and considering our minimum wage is high, that tends to suggest the wage is not the problem.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

I'm afraid that the "anomaly" is the situation in which we currently find ourselves, in which our dole has inflated to three times what it is across the border.

I still maintain that the difference in living costs and the devaluing of sterling have in part led to this anomaly which is no reason to lower dole payments to NI levels.

What would you personally lower welfare payments to DF and would you similarly lower the state pension ?
    But we need to be rational and understand that slashing the compensation packages of 35 lavishly paid ministers is more an issue of leading by example—it will not have a significant macroeconomic impact. If 400,000 people were unemployed, a mere €1 reduction in the dole would save the state €20 million a year.

And €10 would save €200m but their would still be a huge hole in the public finances. Like I say introduce other measures first. I mentioned more than ministerial salaries as I'm sure you're aware.

Savings can be made elsewhere for the time being, freeze welfare now and revisit it in a years time but don't cut it now and don't do it to the levels being bandied around here.

The reality is if you halve welfare now people will default on their mortgages, they'll lose their homes, their cars, their dignity even. What would the cost of this be to the state ?

People on here can say sure let them rent like the rest of us but the reality is these people have homes that could only be sold for a fraction of what they were worth only a couple of years ago. If they default now they're evicted, in negative equity and claiming rent allowance. They're now in a hole they're not getting out of for years. Poverty trap I believe is the proper term.

We as a state can bail out the banks to the tune of 5.5b - 7.5b and counting, quite possibly we should, we will all pay the price for this over the next few years but like I've said let's start paying at the top end of society and work our way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You sure? It's quite a while ago but in 2001 if I remember rightly it was about 145 and was increased to about 170 about 2 years later.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Again, it is not fair to compare to sterling prices as the Euro is unusually strong at the moment.

You also have yet to exclude inflation from those figures. Taken from this website (www.worldwide-tax.com/ireland/ire_infl.asp), Ireland's annual inflation rates were:

2000 5.6%
    2001 4.9%
    2002 4.7%
    2003 3.5%
    2004 2.2%
    2005 2.5%
    2006 4.1%

It doesn't accout for all of it but the bare figures given above are misleading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

There's also the issue of purchasing power..not sure how to figure that one out. I'm not trying to catch you out, just trying to see the true value of the amounts.
    Interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Honestly, our monolingualism is a stunning indictment of a school system that expends most of its effort on teaching Irish, a language that is utterly useless when it comes to European integration

I`m not so sure it`s ONLY the system.

I have for quite some time now been of the opinion that a substantial number of the "Tiger era" wonderkinder have simply been raised in a form of aspirational vacuum by parents who fell hook,line and sinker into the Anglo-Irish ethos.

Threads elsewhere mention the presence of "Educational Inflation",a process which began when society felt emboldened to delete the notion of failing at any given task.

Thuis we arrived at the point where a student found it IMPOSSIBLE to fail in their State Examinations.
    Instead we devised a tortuous system to allocate some form of grade to even the most abject educational failures.
    (Note I do not aspire to investigate the causes of these failures,merely their existance)

This has quite rapidly percolated through to the higher educational sectors with some of the Universities apparently becoming worried at how the World (ie: Employers) view those Irish sourced Degrees.

In a great deal of cases our educational system has made available a wide range of courses to allow for diversification and intellectual expansion but these have been somewhat lacking in achieving stirring results.

What appears lacking is any form of motivation of the soul.
    It manifests itself in the "here comes the weekend" syndrome which appears to now extend to the entire week.

This lack of motivation,or laziness to put it another way,also exists within the greater body as portrayed in the Dole issue.

As far as I can make out,it`s not the extent of the actual payment that`s at issue but the notion that once in this system you`re safe.

Admission to the Welfare System for many is akin to getting past the Bouncer at the niteclub door....if you can conceal your white socks you`re away in a hack.

The real continuing and expanding drain on our reducing little pot is the manner in which our SW system openself wide for the most basic of fraudulent claims.

The combining of two seperate allowances and associated knock-on entitlements by a like-minded couple can be a very fruitful indeed and is IMO a rapidly growing problem (For EVERYBODY else)

A young unmarried couple with a small child can with a wee bit of application, or guidance from a sibling who has gone before,learn to combine their resources and strike for gold.

1 Lone Parent Allowance.
    1 Jobseekers Allowance.
    1 Private Rented Accomodation Allowance.
    1 Medical Card
    Misc Child Related allowances x by number of children if applicable.

In many cases these allowances are being used to fund a practically "normal" cohabitational family with the male partner usually doing a "wee bit" to make ends meet......

The natural progression then is to "Go On the list" for a Local Authority house which of course will be under a far more socially lenient arrangement re Rent and associated responsibilities of home ownership.

In short once the system can be tuned by the savvy applicant there is little or no incentive to bother gettin out of the (King Size) bed any morning,unless it`s to collect a few bob that a lad owes one........

Somebody should write a book on it :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There is no denying the government have put the allowance higher than is necessary to get votes IMO.

It seems quite obvious and in line with their track record. I mean, I only earn a few hundred a month more than the dole at the moment. If I lost my job, I wouldn't have to adjust my standard of living. I save a good bit each month. I don't even look at my bank balance that often as I'm never in the red and I always spend less a month than I earn.

My rent is very low though as I found a decent landlord with a decent house that doesn't just want to price gouge me. I don't really drink very often either nor do I smoke so that offsets a lot of other peoples expenses. A lot of those are luxuries especially if your unemployed so no doubt it could be cut.

I could be on it soon enough though so don't do it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

We as a state can bail out the banks to the tune of 5.5b - 7.5b and counting, quite possibly we should, we will all pay the price for this over the next few years but like I've said let's start paying at the top end of society and work our way down.
    Exactly..lets stop giving our hard earned taxmoney to the people who have had a large hand in the current mess that the PAYE worker is bailing out at the moment.

I just thought I'd post up the results of a survey into social welfare and work ethic:
    An analysis of welfare provision in 13 developed countries found that generous benefits do not make people lazy or workshy. Norway, Sweden and other countries with a generous welfare state have the strongest work ethic. Britain, the US, New Zealand and Australia have the least generous welfare states and the lowest commitment to work. The researchers measured commitment by investigating the extent to which people want to work for its own sake, rather than just for the financial reward. In Britain this work commitment score is higher among women than men and higher among graduates than non-graduates.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/28/social-attitudes-survey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

taconnol - that's quite interesting.

I've not read the entire thread but a few pages -- I am on the dole since mid Sept and I've been actively searching for a job since then, applying online, going through agencies (even they have said to me there's too many people looking). I have been unsuccessful since then, I don't want to be on the dole, not when there's probably people in more need of it. But... in order to survive I've had to sign on, I'm lucky enough to live at home and thus my parents have taken into consideration that I'm not earning half as much. I would have earned near 500 a week and I would give 200 to my parents. Obviously now I can't do that, but I still give money towards the household when I can.
    I still have a monthly medical bill of anything from 50-100 euro. I have a car which has to be looked after / taxed/ etc (it's needed in the family).

So as others have said, don't dispute the amount of the dole until you have to live on it. I'm ok on it, but only because I'm living at home, if I wasn't -- I'd have to move home. It is odd the difference between England and Ireland dole rates, but that's assumidly the government decision, not the publics so you can't give out to Irish people for getting what their social welfare decides to allocate them just because it's more than another country.

If (for example) my dad (god forbid) had to go on the dole, 204 a week would far from cover expenses for a family with 4 children, a mortgage, a car, bills, medical bills every month (for my mother, who doesn't qualify for medical card), medical bills for my sister (again we have to pay it). We'd nearly end up homeless!

Granted there will always be that small percentage in every country who 'lives on the dole' cuz they want to. But I can guarantee you that if you asked the lines of people outside the welfare office if they wanted a job, I'd be shocked if any less than 95% said no. The dole isn't just a randomly picked out number, it's based on current climate/economy etc - to make sure people can actually attempt to live on it.

You'll have to explain a bit more donegalfella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

In the past I assumed something like that.
    Until I started actually asking people if they liked their jobs.
    Love is probably a bit of strong word for some folks.
    Anyway, most people I asked, said they indeed liked their jobs.
    Which totally surprised me.

But the argument made for keeping the dole low/lower is that people only work for financial reward and therefore are happy to stop working, if sufficient financial reward is provided in the form of the dole.

The results of the survey indicate that other factors are more important, such as education levels.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I know a few lads who love being on the dole and will probably never work a day in their lives.
    Yes there are people on the dole that badly need the money but i would like to see it reduced in increments.

Sign on: Full Dole
    after 3 months 90%
    after 6 months 75%
    after 12 months 50%
    after 18 months 25%
    after 24 months 0%

This would put an end to those who are un-willing to work or screwing the system.

donegalfella, your argument is not a good one. You are trying to use anecdotal evidence and asking us to go on what you think is the reality, rather than going by the results of a professional survey.

Sorry but my money is on the results of the survey, not on what I think may be the case.

No doubt there are those that do not want to work and did not manage to secure a job, even at a time when we had to import people to fill positions. I just don't think that a measurement to punish the few should be implement if, in fact, it will end up punishing an innocent majority.

doncarlos wrote: »
    I know a few lads who love being on the dole and will probably never work a day in their lives.
    Yes there are people on the dole that badly need the money but i would like to see it reduced in increments.

Sign on: Full Dole
    after 3 months 90%
    after 6 months 75%
    after 12 months 50%
    after 18 months 25%
    after 24 months 0%

This would put an end to those who are un-willing to work or screwing the system.

Unfortunately you are presuming there are jobs out there for everybody. Which is clearly not the case anymore.

Instead of that, let's concentrate on people making fraudulent claims.
    Like people working for cash in hand while signing on.
    And how about, going after businesses that have not paid tax?
    Targeting "white collar" crime? They are the ones whom probably have a greater portion of blame for our current situation.
    It's easy to pick on "dole-ees", that's why the powers that be and the media are doing it.

The methodology of the survey aimed to investigate: "the extent to which people want to work for its own sake, rather than just for the financial reward".

Why is it not realistically possible to examine other motivations for working, apart from financial reward?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Unfortunately you are presuming there are jobs out there for everybody. Which is clearly not the case anymore.

Of course there are jobs for everyone. There is always shops, bars, petrol stations looking for workers but a lot of Irish people think they are above this kind of work now. I have now doubts that if i lost my job today i'd have another job in less than a week if i wanted it. It might not be a job i'd like or be well paid but there are plenty of jobs out there.

The survey was looking at motivations for working in addition to financial reward. ie, not financial reward alone.

I should have said "in addition to" above, not "apart from".

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Of course there are jobs for everyone.
    Oh i don't think so.
    Take for example the thousands of people in the Limerick area that are now, or will be soon, completely out of work.
    There aren't that many vacant positions in shops and Supermacs.
    I know I haven't seen a "Staff Wanted" sign for about a year.

Advertisement