Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Beer Market Pub, Christ Church

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I cook my steaks at home sometimes, and while they aren't as nice as what you get in Shanhan's, they are still pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

squonk wrote: »
    Paying €5 and upwards to drinks becomes a very expensive night very quickly.
    5 quid is not expensive though? If I go to Beermarket and have 4 world class beers over an hour and a half or two hours for 20-25 quid thats value in my book. Bars like this are not for drinking litres and litres of beer in, any more than Mikkeller is. People keep trying to apply the "traditional Irish pub" model to everything, thats not what this is. Its a bar for beer geeks, not for the ordinary joe soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

5 quid is not expensive though? If I go to Beermarket and have 4 world class beers over an hour and a half or two hours for 20-25 quid thats value in my book. Bars like this are not for drinking litres and litres of beer in, any more than Mikkeller is. People keep trying to apply the "traditional Irish pub" model to everything, thats not what this is. Its a bar for beer geeks, not for the ordinary joe soap.

I bet that's the model they are aiming for. I suppose there pressure will to keep unique and different beer that other importers/bars will have not have

There is immense pressure on the breweries to produce "one offs" and "specials" for the Growler scene, I know of two off licences that were very, very reticent to put in an expensive Growler system without the promise of regular irregular beers to sell.

I think they also get this pressure from the craft beer pubs too.

There is immense pressure on the breweries to produce "one offs" and "specials" for the Growler scene, I know of two off licences that were very, very reticent to put in an expensive Growler system without the promise of regular irregular beers to sell.

I think they also get this pressure from the craft beer pubs too.

This is a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Looking forward to checking this place out. Beer only sounds great!

What's the point in the numbers at the customer side of the taps?

symbolic wrote: »

What's the point in the numbers at the customer side of the taps?

order by number, there is list of beers with associated numbers above the bar

Are they going to force people to do this?

"I'll have a six, a seven and a nine please".

Er , nope, I want to order my beer by name, same as I do in every other pub I've ever been into. Don't try to force some weird system onto me.

Er , nope, I want to order my beer by name, same as I do in every other pub I've ever been into. Don't try to force some weird system onto me.

Dont know, but the model looks like it's trying to brake away from your standard pub format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sounds similar to a chinese take away.... order by number, drink in or take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's going to be the same as Biercab in Barca, you order by number. No big deal.

IMG_5457.jpg

Although looks like chalk as opposed to digital

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

11159402_869743123092037_24524571_o.jpg?oh=6a4d9a6e8b394fc2f3a2eebedda10e5d&oe=553994DB
    11101057_869743183092031_1340817761_o.jpg?oh=72b17067ca0f924d0fa244435ffa277e&oe=5539C0D5

oblivious wrote: »
    order by number, there is list of beers with associated numbers above the bar

Yeah I'm good with the number and list. The numbers at the taps just seemed unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

That's a serious line up right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Not my photos btw, will try to get there on the weekend.

The numbers/taps thing is pretty simple and I've been to loads of pubs that have a similar system. The Irish Times article was weird, sounds like they were struggling to understand the concept while trying hard to make it sound like this is something unheard of. Four words: "all taps on rotation", that about covers it of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've no problem with the numbering system, but unless you know each beer already there's no indication of what style most of them are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Zaph wrote: »
    I've no problem with the numbering system, but unless you know each beer already there's no indication of what style most of them are.

Yup. You still have to ask the barstaff what each beer is on the list. If it said IPA, Porter, etc. beside each name it would save a lot of hemming and hawing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The trick behind that is it forces the barstaff to be more knowledgeable about the beers, and at the same time, forces customers to interact more with the staff, in theory, leading to a better experience and more repeat custom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What? Sorry? I was busy looking up the beers on my phone...

BeerNut wrote: »
    What? Sorry? I was busy looking up the beers on my phone...

Lol. I have a tendency to do that if I'm sitting at the bar. Going through the taps one by one.

• Advertisement

This is how it works in the likes of Mikkeller etc. This is not the same as every other pub you've been to, that's the point.

Was there tonight, it was rammed and the beer was superb. Delighted Dublin has a bar such as this, ballsy move from GBB. There's enough of a market there from the Dublin beer geek set and beer tourists for it to do really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

The next person who mentions Mikkeller again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Mi Keller tu keller, compadre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Red Wolf

Elk Milker

Mikkeller!

Mick, Mick Eile, a h-aon, a dó

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Looking forward to Mick O'Keller's opening in Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ended up there last night, was so so. Very hot inside. Not sure I liked the layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a picture I saw somewhere, it looks like they serve bottles too. For some reason, that was a disappointment to me.

Definitely going to pop in when next in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Any cask on show there?

• Advertisement

No. And no plans for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Got to check out the place yesterday. I was really looking forward so maybe I was hopeing for too much It was very busy and crazy hot. The layout is not great but that can be tweaked.
    The few beers I had where great no problem in that department.
    The 2 things I would change if I was ruining the place is take the stools away from the bar. There's no room for people to talk to the bar staff and actually figure out what beer they want.
    Also disappointed to see food available maybe it's just me but I don't want the smell of reheated pies wafting around when I've just paid €8 for a beer.
    It's great idea for bar and I'll defo visit every time I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

finatron wrote: »
    Got to check out the place yesterday. I was really looking forward so maybe I was hopeing for too much It was very busy and crazy hot. The layout is not great but that can be tweaked.
    The few beers I had where great no problem in that department.
    The 2 things I would change if I was ruining the place is take the stools away from the bar. There's no room for people to talk to the bar staff and actually figure out what beer they want.
    Also disappointed to see food available maybe it's just me but I don't want the smell of reheated pies wafting around when I've just paid €8 for a beer.
    It's great idea for bar and I'll defo visit every time I'm in Dublin.

I was there a few days ago, and agree about taking the stools away from the bar. Although the beers are easily viewed on the boards above the bar, people drinking at the bar do get in the way of ordering. I know drinking at the bar is more convivial for some, the bar isn't long enough for that.

Also, I agree about the pies — I don't want smelly food around me. What I'd like is cheese — I had a great snack of various different cheeses, served with pickles and crackers or something, in a pub in Bradford a few months ago. Went perfectly with the beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I was there a few days ago, and agree about taking the stools away from the bar. Although the beers are easily viewed on the boards above the bar, people drinking at the bar do get in the way of ordering. I know drinking at the bar is more convivial for some, the bar isn't long enough for that.

Also, I agree about the pies — I don't want smelly food around me. What I'd like is cheese — I had a great snack of various different cheeses, served with pickles and crackers or something, in a pub in Bradford a few months ago. Went perfectly with the beers.

The great thing about stools is you can go there on your own and sit at the bar.
    You can't really sit on your own with a table to yourself when the place is busy....although an Area reserved for people on their own would be a good idea, you end up sitting with random people who you'll get talking too

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

The great thing about stools is you can go there on your own and sit at the bar.
    You can't really sit on your own with a table to yourself when the place is busy....although an Area reserved for people on their own would be a good idea, you end up sitting with random people who you'll get talking too

Ya thats true but it was pretty impossible to talk to staff as you had to stand between people who where together you didn't want to impose too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Louche Lad wrote: »

I hate the smell of cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"SMELL MY CHEEEEESE!!!"

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "SMELL MY CHEEEEESE!!!"

170FzUK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

oblivious wrote: »
    170FzUK.gif

Ha ha, going to be up that direction Saturday night, I presume they sell soft drinks? The OH probably won't be drinking or more likely won't drink anything they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

yeah my fella had a san pellegrino blood orange when we were there. He had one stout but wasn't in the mood for a second and only drinks stout or cider (of which there was none... yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Even worse than the taste.

Beer people who dont like cheese, sacriledge

Very nice bar and pleasant experience with the staff on first visit. With the nooks and crannies upstairs and downstairs, it might be limited for space when busy however.

Great beer selection and most beers on tap were served in 33cl stemmed glasses and the pies appeared to be gobbled up left, right and center.

A beer menu detailing flavours and other additional details might be an idea and may save barstaff being expected to explain the particulars of every beer to customers when busy. Consulting the smartphone while reading the beerboard would be a nuisance. Removing a few of the stools at the bar might also free up a little space when busy. Overall though, good selection of beers, a nice atmosphere and an enjoyable experience.

Passenger wrote: »
    A beer menu detailing flavours and other additional details might be an idea and may save barstaff being expected to explain the particulars of every beer to customers when busy. Consulting the smartphone while reading the beerboard would be a nuisance.
    The beers change too often for that to be practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Nice staff and a good atmosphere but no IPA available in a pint which was dissapointing. I'm still not a fan of this policy of serving almost everything in 330ml glasses. Looking at the menu most of the drinks would have been working out at close to a tenner a pint. Anyway it was pretty dead on a Saturday night and that location is cursed so I'm afraid this place has no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ranchu wrote: »
    Nice staff and a good atmosphere but no IPA available in a pint which was dissapointing. I'm still not a fan of this policy of serving almost everything in 330ml glasses. Looking at the menu most of the drinks would have been working out at close to a tenner a pint. Anyway it was pretty dead on a Saturday night and that location is cursed so I'm afraid this place has no chance.

I guess their argument would be that there's plenty of places to get pints of IPA, or other beers, but that they want to become a destination for beer tickers and those seeking the harder to get beers, both tourists and locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

lk67 wrote: »
    I guess their argument would be that there's plenty of places to get pints of IPA, or other beers, but that they want to become a destination for beer tickers and those seeking the harder to get beers, both tourists and locals.

That could be true but there wasn't really anything you wouldn't see elsewhere over time. There might have been a bigger selection on draught in one place but I just don't see how they think there are enough people to keep a customer base which is going to be largely male beer anoraks coming back on a consistent basis to turn a profit. I'd never be able to convince my missus to go in there for a pint, the crowd I was with were half female and they would have preferred to drink wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

That could be true but there wasn't really anything you wouldn't see elsewhere over time. There might have been a bigger selection on draught in one place but I just don't see how they think there are enough people to keep a customer base which is going to be largely male beer anoraks coming back on a consistent basis to turn a profit. I'd never be able to convince my missus to go in there for a pint, the crowd I was with were half female and they would have preferred to drink wine.

I was there last week and of the 18 beers on at least 75% were uncommon or very new releases so not sure if they will be anywhere else but they certainly hadn't been afaik, but I only get up to Dublin once a month or so. But that was last week of course...

I'd agree to an extent about the clientele, although there were both male and female drinkers when I was there, but beer nerds of both sexes do travel.

I was really just offering a suggestion of how they might be thinking. Personally I hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

LOL

"Pint for the fella, glass of white wine, fruit based drink for the lady"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Went in on Friday for the first time. I liked it. Thought the selection of beers was excellent. Only one pint on the menu but that didn't bother me.

Not mad on the premises and the layout mind you. 3 very small floors makes everything seem very tight. I hope it sticks around. Its good to go in for 2/3 drinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement