Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

Passed my test on first attempt in Rathgar on 14th March. Delighted, as I was really nervous about it the week before. Definitely recommend a pre-test and taking a lesson the morning of the test if possible. I had one which was a disaster,but got rid of all the nervousness, and I was lucky to have a really great instructor and tester. Couldn't complain about a thing, went to Naas the next day to get the licence and it arrived yesterday in the post! Theres nothing like that feeling of taking the L plates down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Passed my test, 3rd time, in Tallaght. 1 Grade 2. I thought it was going well but didn't want to get over confident. So happy now though. Need to get my licence now before the 1st of August, do not want them N plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Passed my first driving test last week, convinced I failed because of so many errors I made. Do they send you out a report on how you did? (like what grades you got etc..) cause i never got anything

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

Passed today in Clonmel, first time! Four Grade 2's.. absolutely thrilled, was so convinced it'd be a disaster! Tester was lovely and put me at total ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Third time lucky!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Passed in Navan with one grade 1 on the clutch. Can't complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Passed Category C today first time round. Just one fault missed a mirror at a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Passed my test yesterday in Raheny!!!! Absolutely delighted. :)

This was my second test. First one I had 15 grade two's and 1 grade 3. Yesterday I 5 grade two's and one grade one.

The tester was so sound it really put my nerves at ease straight away. I was fairly confident I was doing well as he barely went near the ipad.

Feels great!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Passed in Tallaght today..one grade two.

Not too shabby for someone only driving since March. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Passed this evening in Wilton :D 4 grade 2's and 1 grade 1 which I was delighted with seeing as I had never passed any of my pre-tests!!! The tester was really lovely really made me feel comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Passed this morning in Rathgar, got 5 grade 2's, probably due to 13 years of bad habits from driving in California. People use their handbrake like mad here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

CalRobert wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Rathgar, got 5 grade 2's, probably due to 13 years of bad habits from driving in California. People use their handbrake like mad here!

Congrats. I think the handbrake thing is due to people here driving manual cars mainly. I never used my handbrake when I lived in the States & drove an automatic car. I did when I was stopping for good, parking etc, but I didn't if I was just stopped at traffic lights and what not.

Yeah I suspect you're right. I drove manuals in California for 5 years before moving here but I only used the handbrake when I was pulling away from a hill, and it would have to be a steep one to merit that. I coasted a lot in neutral too, and would keep it in neutral at stop lights (again, bad habits!)

To be clear I was careful to avoid doing that during the test; the instructor made it clear that wouldn't help me, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

to anyone who passed recently - have you been indicating for overtaking parked cars? My instructor is telling me that if I position myself early enough then I don't have to but i thought if I cross the centre of the road then I have to indicate both before crossing it and then after returning to my side:confused:

My instructor said not to bother indicating for parked cars. However, a few days before my test a friend of mine, who took his in the last few weeks, mentioned he had failed specifically for not indicating before overtaking parked cars. During my test I indicated for this a few times and the tester didn't seem to think anything odd about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It's hardly a one-rule-fits-all type question. If there are other cars around, indicate. If you're the only car on the road and you've moved out early; don't. Indicators convey your intentions to other drivers. If you can see that there are no other cars being driven, then indicating means you're driving by rote rather than reacting to the situation you find yourself in. That's the policy I followed in... October? and I got no marks for use of indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

uli84 wrote: »
    to anyone who passed recently - have you been indicating for overtaking parked cars? My instructor is telling me that if I position myself early enough then I don't have to but i thought if I cross the centre of the road then I have to indicate both before crossing it and then after returning to my side:confused:

Yes, indicate. Your instructor is wrong. You are always supposed to indicate if you are deviating from your position on the road. If you have to move out to avoid a parked car, a wheelie bin, a traffic cone, etc etc you indicate. It allows other road users know of your intentions. This extends to pedestrians, cyclists, and not just other cars. It is not a matter of what you can see or can not see, or if there are other cars around. You always indicate, as there may be someone or something that you may not be able to see.

If you go around a corner and there is a parked car in front of you, and you are already out in a position to go around the car, there is no need to indicate, as you are not changing your road position, because you are already in it. But if you have to move out to your left or right, you do. Your instructor is confusing when he says you position yourself early enough. What does he mean by that? Your correct road position is always to be on the left hand side of the road. If you have to move out to go around an obstacle, you indicate. Whether you are doing it earlier rather than later is irrelevant.

I would be in agreement with your instructor, I was told if you move out in good time from the obstacle, so that all following cars and oncoming cars have good time to see this then there's no need to indicate, and I didn't fail my test for not indicating out, I suppose though testers can be a fickle bunch, it mightn't have bothered my tester but you never know with others! However I would say not to indicate in if you're in the lane of oncoming traffic; Only indicate in if you move in from a lane of traffic going in the same direction. This is what my instructor said to me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Yes. I did it where there were cars thrown up all over the place on kerbs and narrow lanes etc.

If I was moving over a line I'd do it 9indicate right), but not indicate back in (left) as that's where you're going anyway, does that make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Passed today in Finglas on my second attempt..Got 8 grade 2's so just passed!! So delighted...really is best feeling ever...on way home i was buzzing so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Passed today also. Got it first time in Raheny. Over the moon to say the least. My ADI was recommendation from another poster in this thread and I can't recommend him enough, no way could I have done it without him. PM me if you're looking for an ADI around the Finglas/Raheny area, I think I'm not allowed recommend anybody directly on the thread.

Passed with 7 Grade 2's - not to happy with that because I know I'm usually better than that, but nerves played a part and a pass is a pass :)

Nate

Ok - NDLS. What a disaster.

Went to book online yesterday for Santry..... not possible, they've no slots listed, all booked up online. Wander down there yesterday at 12pm, "Sorry all booked up for walk ins, try at 9 tomorrow"

Get Down there for 8.50am, 200 people queueing just to make an appointment. Queue doesn't move for an hour because the computer system, powered by hamsters no doubt, has gone on the fritz. Eventually get given an appointment for 2pm but am told that it may not be possible accommodate it today because of the IT outage.

ARRRGGHHHHH!!!

Nate

Ok - NDLS. What a disaster.

Went to book online yesterday for Santry..... not possible, they've no slots listed, all booked up online. Wander down there yesterday at 12pm, "Sorry all booked up for walk ins, try at 9 tomorrow"

Get Down there for 8.50am, 200 people queueing just to make an appointment. Queue doesn't move for an hour because the computer system, powered by hamsters no doubt, has gone on the fritz. Eventually get given an appointment for 2pm but am told that it may not be possible accommodate it today because of the IT outage.

ARRRGGHHHHH!!!

Nate

I have to say that in fairness, if you could book them online, seeing as they almost always seem to be filled up, the system is actually great, went in there a week ago, at 9 got an appointment for 11:45, arrived in at that time was seen straight away and out in 10 mins, all while seated, in the old motor tax office you would queue for hours with no end in sight whereas at least with this once you get your appointment everything is normally quite painless! And they're supposed to have it out to me in 10 working days which isn't a bad turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

I've been waiting a while to post on this thread...

Passed today in Tallaght.

Tester was really nice all the way through - even after finishing the drive and walking back to the test centre, he started discussing what a nerve-wracking experience it can be. I thought this was his way of gently breaking the bad news and feared the worst, but I couldn't even try to hide the huge grin when he told me I'd passed!

Immediately rushed to the NDLS and had my appointment. Now to watch for the mail everyday until I can actually hold the licence in my hand... and then I might actually believe it!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

After 9 years on on the road (Yeah, I know) and one failed attempt previously!!!! I PASSED this morning!!!!!! :D

I'm on cloud 9 right now!!!!!!

Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Passed first time today in Dundalk! So relieved and happy right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Just got it in Raheny, 5 grade 2's. Took me over past Killester darts station and back around through Harmonstown. Just looked up the NDLS site and seems I have to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment????? Is there any way of just dropping in earlier than that????

Just got it in Raheny, 5 grade 2's. Took me over past Killester darts station and back around through Harmonstown. Just looked up the NDLS site and seems I have to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment????? Is there any way of just dropping in earlier than that????

Turn up in Omni at 10 to nine, you should get a slot for later in the day.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

Passed my test first time in Finglas today. Was over in London for the weekend with my wife celebrating our 7th anniversary, came back monday night, took the test at 8.25 am on tuesday and passed with only 5 grade 2's:) Never had any lessons or pre-tests (except for 3 hours 4 years ago to get me started), only youtube, forums and practice:) There were 3 other people at the same time, two men and a girl, i think only girl failed. 3 out of 4 passed, not bad for Finglas, isn't it?:)

Advertisement