Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's pretty much the Doran Martell show now as far as I'm concerned! I've watched it like 3 times now, still think it's absolutely crazy. As above Mirri Maz Dur and also Quentyn are my stumbling blocks but he does quite a good job justifying the latter regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The pink letter ones are better IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Turtyturd wrote: »

I'm aware of the bones of the theory - that it's fake and not from Ramsay. Have you any links to further discussion / analysis?

I'm aware of the bones of the theory - that it's fake and not from Ramsay. Have you any links to further discussion / analysis?

It should be one of the suggested videos under the Dornish ones.

I took the letter at face value while reading the book but it makes a good argument about it not being from Ramsay and the reasons why.

Edit: Here's one...not sure if it's part 1. Just noticed the same guy has one about the locusts.

Ah here, all that has to it is that Mance wrote it instead of Ramsey, hardly shocking. In fact, I remember wondering why it wasn't written in blood when reading it but I dismissed it. The Dorne ones are way, way beyond anything that can be spotted on a first or even third read-through.

Ah here, all that has to it is that Mance wrote it instead of Ramsey, hardly shocking. In fact, I remember wondering why it wasn't written in blood when reading it but I dismissed it. The Dorne ones are way, way beyond anything that can be spotted on a first or even third read-through.

That's all that's in the video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

There's three parts to the Pink Letter Theory. Great theory IMO. The whole Giants = Greenseers was a mind blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone got text versions of those theories?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I've just watched the first Pink Letter clip and well I have to say that since the moment I read that in the books I assumed it was
    Mance Raydar
    . Spoilered identity just because.

It was the use of
    Bastard
    at every opportunity that really raised suspicions for me as
    Mance
    knew it was a pressure point he could use on Jon. I'll watch the rest now.

I've just watched the first Pink Letter clip and well I have to say that since the moment I read that in the books I assumed it was
    Mance Raydar
    . Spoilered identity just because.

It was the use of
    Bastard
    at every opportunity that really raised suspicions for me as
    Mance
    knew it was a pressure point he could use on Jon. I'll watch the rest now.

I didn't cop that
    Mance was the singer until after I had finished the book

• Advertisement

That's all that's in the video?

I've watched them all.

It's a bit mad alright, I mean if half of these theories are true there's no way he could wrap it up in 2 books. I just don't think it's as intricate as the Dorne one, which has roots in the very first novel (whether or not you believe them is another story).

I've watched them all.

It's a bit mad alright, I mean if half of these theories are true there's no way he could wrap it up in 2 books. I just don't think it's as intricate as the Dorne one, which has roots in the very first novel (whether or not you believe them is another story).

You said that all there is to it is that Mance wrote the letter, that's clearly not the case. He'd be doing well to drag that out three videos.

I watched these again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

They're great theories but just remind me too much of Lost. People would come up with all these amazing theories then eh no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

And sometimes it's not...

The directors for Season 5 have been announced along with the episodes they're doing.

"Episodes 501 and 502: Michael Slovis (episodes of AMC’s Breaking Bad, NBC’s Law & Order: SVU)
    Episodes 503 and 504: Mark Mylod (episodes of Showtime’s Shameless and HBO’s Entourage)
    Episodes 505 and 506: Jeremy Podeswa (episodes of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and Showtime’s The Tudors)
    Episodes 507 and 508: Miguel Sapochnik (episodes of Fox’s House and Fringe)
    Episodes 509 and 510: David Nutter (known as “the pilot whisperer” for his track record in getting pilots picked up to series; Nutter directed four epiosdes of Thrones"

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game-of-thrones-season-5-directors/

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Stephen Fry as Wyman Manderly anyone? essentially the same character he plays as the Master of Laketown in the Hobbit

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Stephen Fry as Wyman Manderly anyone? essentially the same character he plays as the Master of Laketown in the Hobbit

Brian Blessed is Wyman Manderley but if and I stress if he isn't then Stephen Fry would be the dream back up. I'd settle for Fry but I'll start a one man revolution if it isn't offered to Blessed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think this has been posted. New cast members for S5.

Thoughts.
    Doran - Doesn't quite look the part to me.
    Tyrstane - Seems perfect.
    Myrcella (third of her name?) - small enough role, probably ok.
    Areo - nailed it.
    Yezzen - lol, just lol.
    Sand Snakes - seems fine, I guess it depends which one they plan giving the main role to.
    Sparrow - Hmmm, an ex Bond baddie - doubtful if he'll make the same mark as Alec Trevelyn. Seems a good choice though.

I suppose I'll give my opinion in the same format as Armani.

Doran - Looks good, should nail it when he's in character.
    Tyrstane - Agree, perfect. He could have played Aegon too.
    Myrcella - pretty hot, seems good.
    Areo - I would have liked if he pronounced Areo properly but yep, nailed it.
    Yezzen - Looks fine to me.
    Sand Snakes - Don't know what to make of these, hard to know.
    Sparrow - Looks the part (Howland Reed anyone?). As close to perfect casting as I can see.

Where are the Ironborn? They can't be serious, if Euron/Vic are cut I'll go mad. Also Arianne, Quentyn?

I don't know. Hopefully more to come anyway.

Holding back Brian Blessed as Wyman as the big reveal later. I like their style.

Seriously though that's not all the casting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JONATHAN PRYCE!!! That is brilliant casting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arianne is a big omission there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Liam O wrote: »
    Arianne is a big omission there.

I wouldn't panic yet, I'd say they will release the names half a dozen at a time as there is loads of parts they still need to fill.
    As mentioned Arianne, Quentyn, Victarian and Euron - Can also add Griff, Aegon, Waif, Darkstar, KindlyOldMan, some Oldtown maesters, a Septa for the Cersei storylines.

Whilst 1 or 2 might be dropped, most will be filled soon enough so expect another video in a few weeks imo.

• Advertisement

It says on the HBO website that Trystane is "the heir to Dorne".

I think Quentyn is cut, and potentially Arianne too.

I don't want to even let half of these thoughts into my head let alone utter them but:

Could they be cutting the Greyjoys, Faegon and friends, the Martells that actually had some story and.... *gulps* Wyman Maderley :eek:

I mean if they've got 3 seasons left and basically 4 books, 2 of which haven't even been written yet then they might need to cut down for "logistical reasons"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm not surprised about the Greyjoys. The TV audience has no interest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

They could still me announced in fairness.

The greyjoy could be in season 6, although I also think they could announce them later.

I see no problem with them listing trystane as the heir to dorne - that is what arianne thinks he's being groomed for anyway.

• Advertisement

The greyjoy could be in season 6, although I also think they could announce them later.

I see no problem with them listing trystane as the heir to dorne - that is what arianne thinks he's being groomed for anyway.

That's Quentyn, Arianne is the heir to Dorne as she's older so unless she and Quentyn both die then Trystane has no claim. What annoys me is that if they confirm that Trystane is heir and cut Arianne it pretty much means that she's another pointless POV (like Quent pretty much) with no impact on the endgame. Cutting her pretty much verifies than Aegon's plot is pointless because it's geared towards him marrying her to get Dorne on his side. At least Quentyn's story was resolved in one book, I don't think I'd be happy waiting years to find out Arianne was a red herring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

I remember seeing a while back (a good while back,so open to correction) over on westeros.org, one of the seemingly in the know posters was convinced that Arianne would be cut, with the sand snakes taking her place. Also that crows eye and vic would be merged into one character.For the life of me cant remember what the theory for Quentyn was but there was something. I remember writing it off at the time, but not looking good now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Keisha Castle-Hughes is no newcomer, either - Oscar-nominated for her first film, Whale Rider and was in Star Wars Episode III, more recently acting part-time.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I really need to read the books again. Can't remember who any of those characters are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Introducing 9 new cast members - that sounds very intimidating. If they focus too much on Dorne or Iron Isles, people will turn off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Introducing 9 new cast members - that sounds very intimidating. If they focus too much on Dorne or Iron Isles, people will turn off.

Stannis is getting a lot more screen time so I am happy :D

pinkypinky wrote: »

Yeah but let's see who's gone since season 4 started:
    Joffrey
    Hound
    Tywin
    Shae
    Oberyn
    Jojen
    Lysa
    Ygritte
    Styr
    Pyp
    Grenn
    Locke

Now obviously a few characters are more involved than others, but I think the same can be said for the newcomers. Eg Hotah won't be doing much on his own, and the Sand Snakes are pretty much a three for the price of one deal so far.

That's Quentyn, Arianne is the heir to Dorne as she's older so unless she and Quentyn both die then Trystane has no claim. What annoys me is that if they confirm that Trystane is heir and cut Arianne it pretty much means that she's another pointless POV (like Quent pretty much) with no impact on the endgame. Cutting her pretty much verifies than Aegon's plot is pointless because it's geared towards him marrying her to get Dorne on his side. At least Quentyn's story was resolved in one book, I don't think I'd be happy waiting years to find out Arianne was a red herring.

You're right I had the names mixed up. To paraphrase A Podcast of Ice and Fire I will flip a table if Arianne isn't in the tv show. She's a great character and one I thought HBO would take full advantage of.

Just reading one or two articles on Arriane's apparent axe from the show and jaysus, people really didn't take it too well on twitter. Accusing the runners of sexism to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

At least there won't be a Arianne/Jamie love story!

• Advertisement

Has it been confirmed that Arianne is being dropped or is that just speculation at this stage?

I would have thought that she would be a perfect character for hbo to focus on. Hell, she even has a sex scene in the book that fills an entire chapter basically

Has it been confirmed that Arianne is being dropped or is that just speculation at this stage?

I would have thought that she would be a perfect character for hbo to focus on. Hell, she even has a sex scene in the book that fills an entire chapter basically

According to Time, apparently in his official character bio Trsytane is referred to as the heir to Dorne. That's what has some people thinking Arianne is gone.

According to Time, apparently in his official character bio Trsytane is referred to as the heir to Dorne. That's what has some people thinking Arianne is gone.

Ah I see so it's just speculation then. Could be true of course and her character is being merged with the sand snakes. But could just as easily be a typo by someone who thought that Trystane was the heir to Dorne because he's a male

Hope it's not true because I really liked Arianne in the books and enjoyed the Dorne storyline in general.

Just reading one or two articles on Arriane's apparent axe from the show and jaysus, people really didn't take it too well on twitter. Accusing the runners of sexism to boot.

Sexism? This show?

Just give it to Trystane. Bout time we get more male nudity in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Doran - Doesn't quite look the part to me.

I think this is a pretty good move. Siddig was really good in DS9, I can't wait to hear him deliver the line
    "Fire and blood!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think this is a pretty good move. Siddig was really good in DS9, I can't wait to hear him deliver the line
    "Fire and blood!"

Except he won't deliver that line if certain other characters are cut. He might give a beetles speech instead. :pac:

For for no Greyjoys yet, if they are cut why did we bother reading the last 2 books at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Daith wrote: »
    Sexism? This show?

Just give it to Trystane. Bout time we get more male nudity in this show.

The last thing the show needs is more nudity. Unless it's Nathalie Emmanuel. Then it's ok, but still a waste of time.

Liam O wrote: »
    The last thing the show needs is more nudity. Unless it's Nathalie Emmanuel. Then it's ok, but still a waste of time.

If there is to be nudity then at least equal nudity!

Sure you're going to hate Season 5 anyway Liam O. Might as well enjoy some parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think Season 5 is going to suffer a big ratings drop if they focus too much on Dorne.

I always thought that bringing books 4 and 5 to the screen would be a struggle anyways after how good A Storm of Swords was.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think Season 5 is going to suffer a big ratings drop if they focus too much on Dorne.

I always thought that bringing books 4 and 5 to the screen would be a struggle anyways after how good A Storm of Swords was.

It's not going to be as drawn out though, there is plenty of material between 2 books to keep the show as entertaining as previous seasons. Jon/Stannis/Mance, Cersei, Jamie/Brienne, Arya, Reek/Ramsey/Roose, and Dany have full arcs to break up the Dorne and Iron Islands stuff.

Advertisement